PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Texas Highway Facts

Phil C
09-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Did you all know that you can travel on Texas HWY 83 from Laredo to McAllen and nearly the whole way the highway you are on is only about 5 miles from Mexico? Interesting isn't it?

I know because I once traveled that highway on business. On the way I took alternate routes through several interesting towns such as San Ygnacio and Roma. San Ygnacio has a very nice town square in the middle of the town. Interesting indeed.

raider red 2000
09-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Did you all know that you can travel on Texas HWY 83 from Laredo to McAllen and nearly the whole way the highway you are on is only about 5 miles from Mexico? Interesting isn't it?

I know because I once traveled that highway on business. On the way I took alternate routes through several interesting towns such as San Ygnacio and Roma. San Ygnacio has a very nice town square in the middle of the town. Interesting indeed.

ok

Phil C
09-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Town Squares were very inportant in Hispanic border towns not only because of the businesses around it but social activities at times. The local Catholic Church was generally very close to the square. Many of the young people would go to the square on Sunday afternoons after the Church mass and after a nice lunch to go courting. Also older folks would go there and visit and young children would play around the square.

I know this because a guide once told it to me. Interesting indeed.

shankbear
09-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Town squares are big all over East Texas. It is where the courthouse is in many East Texas county seats. Not unique to hispanic communities.

luvhoops34
09-27-2007, 05:58 PM

Been there done that Phil.:D

Did you know if you go to Salineno, there is a dirt road that leads right down to the river. It is an old Indian crossing and a nice place to bird watch or fish.:D

Bull Butter
09-27-2007, 06:10 PM
That would be U.S. Hwy 83.

Downtown Roma used to have a little white stucco building on US 83 that had a simple red neon sign just above the door that read "BAR". Always wanted to stop there, probably glad I didn't.:)

luvhoops34
09-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter

Downtown Roma used to have a little white stucco building on US 83 that had a simple red neon sign just above the door that read "BAR". Always wanted to stop there, probably glad I didn't.:)

Roma isn't a good place to be these days..:(

IHStangFan
09-27-2007, 06:29 PM
did you know Jimmy Hoffa is buried under a section of I-10 east of El Paso? :D

luvhoops34
09-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
did you know Jimmy Hoffa is buried under a section of I-10 east of El Paso? :D

That's possible. We do know he isn't buried in the end zone of Giant Stadium...:D

Phil C
09-28-2007, 10:14 AM
When I concluded my business near McAllen I came home to Sinton by first going back to Rio Grande City. I ate at a wonderful restaurant there (unfortunately I don't remember the name). Since I wasn't in a hurry I decided to come back a slightly longer but interesting way back as I took Hwy 755 west. I got to see such towns as Santa Rosa and Aqua Nuewva. When I got to 281 I went North to Falfurrias. From there I took 285 west to Riviera and then turned North on 77 and went home to Sinton.

Bull Butter
09-28-2007, 10:33 AM
You mean you didn't go to South Padre Island and check out Pelican West????:eek:

Phil C
09-28-2007, 11:33 AM
You mean you didn't go to South Padre Island and check out Pelican West????:eek:

Unfortunately the trip was 14 years ago and Pelican West wasn't there then. Otherwise I would have gone that route.

Phil C
09-28-2007, 01:38 PM
I forgot to mention that my business was at the City Hall in La Joya for a prospective audit and then I left afterward back to Rio Grande City. On 755 when I got to La Gloria I drove about 3 miles south on 1017 to see the town of San Isidro. Then back to La Gloria and turned turned back east on 755.

BobcatBenny
09-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Phil C,
What does this have to do with women's athletics? :D

Sincerely,
Benny

big daddy russ
09-28-2007, 01:58 PM
More interesting highway facts...

-I-35 between Austin and Dallas has been under continuous construction since 1860.

-I-10 in Houston has been under continuous construction eight months longer.

-DeBerry street in Aransas Pass, TX must've been built on a fault line twice the size of the San Andreas. It was recently rated in Russell's Almanac as the single worst street north of Bolivia and east of Louisiana.

Sweetwater Red
09-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
More interesting highway facts...

-I-35 between Austin and Dallas has been under continuous construction since 1860.

-I-10 in Houston has been under continuous construction eight months longer.

-DeBerry street in Aransas Pass, TX must've been built on a fault line twice the size of the San Andreas. It was recently rated in Russell's Almanac as the single worst street north of Bolivia and east of Louisiana.

LMAO. My understanding is Louisiana wasn't getting any federal
funding for their roads due to refusing to raise the legal drinking
age from 18 to 21. They just raised it about 12 years ago.
I know that parts of I-10 were so bad that you could drive down
the ruts in the lanes and not even have to steer.

luvhoops34
09-28-2007, 02:40 PM
When I concluded my business near McAllen I came home to Sinton by first going back to Rio Grande City. I ate at a wonderful restaurant there (unfortunately I don't remember the name). Since I wasn't in a hurry I decided to come back a slightly longer but interesting way back as I took Hwy 755 west. I got to see such towns as Santa Rosa and Aqua Nuewva. When I got to 281 I went North to Falfurrias. From there I took 285 west to Riviera and then turned North on 77 and went home to Sinton.

Was the restaurant you ate at in RGC, Caro's? Back in my other life, we ate there quite often on our trips to the Tragic Valley.:D

burnet44
09-28-2007, 03:01 PM

there was one just like that on 84 between Corsicana and Waco
just kinda sitting there by its self
I stopped in one time
cool place
old but pretty cool
it was a place you could get cut up pretty quick
nice joint

Phil C
09-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Was the restaurant you ate at in RGC, Caro's? Back in my other life, we ate there quite often on our trips to the Tragic Valley.:D

I don't remember for sure luv but that name sounds familiar so it just might have been it.

luvhoops34
09-28-2007, 03:08 PM
I don't remember for sure luv but that name sounds familiar so it just might have been it.

That many years ago it would have been the only decent place to eat in RGC.:D

mwynn05
09-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
there was one just like that on 84 between Corsicana and Waco
just kinda sitting there by its self
I stopped in one time
cool place
old but pretty cool
it was a place you could get cut up pretty quick
nice joint 84 doesn't run through corsicana

Old Tiger
09-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Louisiana and Arkansas are some of the worst roads that I have ridden on.

Gobbla2001
09-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Aren't there like, TWO Hwy 87s?