PDA

View Full Version : possums

Keith7
09-27-2007, 02:08 PM
does anyone have any tips to getting rid of them?? They live around our new rent house, and even eat our cat's food.. I read somewhere that you arn't supposed to kill them because some species are close to extinction, but I suppose what peta doesn't know can't hurt them.. so does anyone have any tips to get them away? or are we just screwed?

crzyjournalist03
09-27-2007, 02:12 PM
my boss was telling me earlier this week that he's been having issues with them in his yard...he's gotten rid of a few of them...but I can't post them on here...basically the story involved a lawn mower and shovel...

Bubba-Joe
09-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Shoot em
skin em
they make good stew / soup
they can be grilled by the meat is little greasy
best to make nice potato stew with some carrots and peas

STANG RED
09-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Bubba-Joe
Shoot em
skin em
best to make nice potato stew with some carrots and peas

You no i perfer my possum on a stik.

big daddy russ
09-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Possums going extinct? Go figure.

I used to have a Benjamin air rifle that we had fun with when I was a kid. It wouldn't kill 'em immediately unless you hit them in the right spot, but if they didn't die they didn't stick around for seconds. :D

pirate4state
09-27-2007, 02:39 PM
If you don't want to kill them, buy a trap to catch them and then let them loose in the country somewhere.

Butkus
09-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Bubba-Joe
Shoot em
skin em
best to make nice potato stew with some carrots and peas Man an no boby made it like mama. By the way thar Bubba did ja ever get tha fambly moved inta that new trailer house yet?

RedWhiteBlue
09-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Put out some live traps with rat poison in them. After they die, take them out and dump them. Don't try to leave them alive- those suckers are mean, especially if it is a momma with babies!!!!

Butkus
09-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Women folk tryin ta run tha downlow. Any man nose aint no fun in trappin a varmint.

pirate4state
09-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Butkus
Women folk tryin ta run tha downlow. Any man nose aint no fun in trappin a varmint. trying??? :hand:

Butkus
09-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
trying??? :hand: Board Owners are : "Slpybear The Bullfan", "Administrator", "sinton66", and "Old Green"
:D

pirate4state
09-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Board Owners are : "Slpybear The Bullfan", "Administrator", "sinton66", and "Old Green"
:D

you said running, not owning!! :p

STANG RED
09-27-2007, 02:46 PM
My good friends Mr. Smith & Mr. Wesson love taking care of possum problems.
Their nothing but an overgrown rat, and no where near extinct.

Butkus
09-27-2007, 02:50 PM
you said running, not owning!! :p Sometimes ole Butkus aint too good witha english language i meanta say ruinin.:devil:

pirate4state
09-27-2007, 02:53 PM
Sometimes ole Butkus aint too good witha english language i meanta say ruinin.:devil: :doh:

RedWhiteBlue
09-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Well, I happen to know lots of men folk that love trapping varmints and make good money at it. I think this is a good way to deal with the nasty suckers (and skunks) without having to fight with them or shoot your gun in town (if your in town). If not, sit on your back porch with a 22 and blow the sucker to bits for all I care. Otherwise, you may have the Po-Po there and you got more than a possum problem.

Snyder_TigerFan
09-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Contact the city. I believe the city of Abilene will let you borrow a trap and will come and get what you catch.

Butkus
09-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Well, I happen to know lots of men folk that love trapping varmints and make good money at it. I think this is a good way to deal with the nasty suckers (and skunks) without having to fight with them or shoot your gun in town (if your in town). If not, sit on your back porch with a 22 and blow the sucker to bits for all I care. Otherwise, you may have the Po-Po there and you got more than a possum problem. Popo dont bother a man when he lives in tha sticks. ;)

RedWhiteBlue
09-27-2007, 03:08 PM
That's why I said if you are in town you have to worry about PoPo, but if you in the country- who cares?

Butkus
09-27-2007, 03:09 PM
That's why I said if you are in town you have to worry about PoPo, but if you in the country- who cares? Maybe them peta people.;)

Bubba-Joe
09-27-2007, 03:15 PM
PETA

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

RedWhiteBlue
09-27-2007, 03:32 PM
You my kinda man Bubba!!!!

Butkus
09-27-2007, 03:34 PM
You my kinda man Bubba!!!! Easy now rwb ole brother Bubba done gotta wife and i think 8 kids dang i lose count with him and his younguns.:D

Keith7
09-27-2007, 03:51 PM
umm ya I live a block a way from UNT so I don't think I can be out side trying to shoot them.. So if I'm going to straight up try and kill them, it will get pretty nasty.. I thought about putting down rat poison, but I'm worried our cat might eat it.. maybe we can just become one with the possums

RedWhiteBlue
09-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Hey, maybe UNT needs to change their mascot if they are that bad there!!!!

RedWhiteBlue
09-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Easy now rwb ole brother Bubba done gotta wife and i think 8 kids dang i lose count with him and his younguns.:D
He's safe- I already gotta Bubba at the house with about 8 to 10 kids myself ( I lost count, too ).

sweetwater07
09-27-2007, 03:55 PM
If you don't want to kill them, buy a trap to catch them and then let them loose in the country somewhere.

i catch those thigns and coons eating the corn on my feeders at my house... live traps are good if your brave enough to pick the trap up after they are in it....they are mean..i just assume shoot them with a little 22.

Keith7
09-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Hey, maybe UNT needs to change their mascot if they are that bad there!!!!

I've never seen one on campus.. I think they live in under our neighbors house which is about 70 years old and looks like it needs to be condemned.. and its not like a huge problem, we've lived in this new house for a month and a half and have only seen them twice, but it still startles you when you do see them esp. knowing that they could be carrying disease

sweetwater07
09-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
I've never seen one on campus.. I think they live in under our neighbors house which is about 70 years old and looks like it needs to be condemned.. and its not like a huge problem, we've lived in this new house for a month and a half and have only seen them twice, but it still startles you when you do see them esp. knowing that they could be carrying disease

not only disease those thigns can carry Rabies and thats not good..lol plus they will tear your leg off if you get close to them..haha... trap them and call the city of Denton..i bet they will pick it up for you

pirate4state
09-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
i catch those thigns and coons eating the corn on my feeders at my house... live traps are good if your brave enough to pick the trap up after they are in it....they are mean..i just assume shoot them with a little 22. oh, i don't mess with 'em - out where I live we just run over them :D my boss lives in the city limits and he traps 'em and then lets them loose or at least that's what he tells his wife!! :D

sinton66
09-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
umm ya I live a block a way from UNT so I don't think I can be out side trying to shoot them.. So if I'm going to straight up try and kill them, it will get pretty nasty.. I thought about putting down rat poison, but I'm worried our cat might eat it.. maybe we can just become one with the possums

Call the local Ag Extension office. Bet they can get you going.

Darren
09-28-2007, 04:05 PM

That would be My thought as well. You can get a live trap for fairly cheap.

Although I would shoot them. They are basically a big rat. Plus they will play dead and if your like me you might feel sorry for it and think about letting it go. Before you do take a stick or something and gently tap it that thing will bite the hell out of the stick they have very sharp teeth.

Gobbla2001
09-28-2007, 04:13 PM
I dunno if I told this story on here or not, but I came home one night, and just before pulling up the drive I saw our cat sitting under the street light with a possum... the possum was just standing there... our cat was jus lickin' himself, didn't even care the possum was there... I thought they might be fighting so I stopped, but they just sat there, no more than 6 inches apart just chillin'....

strangest thing I've ever seen...

KingRob
09-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I dunno if I told this story on here or not, but I came home one night, and just before pulling up the drive I saw our cat sitting under the street light with a possum... the possum was just standing there... our cat was jus lickin' himself, didn't even care the possum was there... I thought they might be fighting so I stopped, but they just sat there, no more than 6 inches apart just chillin'....

strangest thing I've ever seen...
Possum: S'up cat?
Cat: Just chillaxin.
Possum: Itz all good.
:rolleyes:

crzyjournalist03
09-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by KingRob
Possum: S'up cat?
Cat: Just chillaxin.
Possum: Itz all good.
:rolleyes: