PDA

View Full Version : Good story about Roosevelt kid

3afan
09-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Roosevelt's Carter, a cancer survivor, has beaten the odds

08:16 PM CDT on Wednesday, September 26, 2007

By DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News
dsayles@dallasnews.com

Roosevelt's Chris Carter doesn't say a lot. With his recent play, he hasn't had to.

Carter, a senior defensive end and Skyline transfer, had two solo tackles and five assists last week against Molina. He has eight solo tackles, 17 assists, a sack and an interception through three games.

"It's funny," Carter said, "because I remember when I wasn't supposed to play football ... or do anything like that."

As a child, Carter was diagnosed with T-cell lymphoma, a blood cancer involving abnormal behavior of white blood cells. White blood cells help protect the body from infection and disease.

Doctors told him he'd never play football because of his condition.

"People look at me now and say they couldn't tell," Carter said. "I have to take off my shirt and show them my scars."

The five marks on his chest – three on the right side and two on the left – represent the spots where he received treatment. Carter was only 5 when doctors delivered the news to him and his parents.

"It was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life," said Kimberly Moore, Carter's mother.

An accumulation the size of a softball was found in Carter's chest and eventually forced his left lung to collapse. Carter had complained of back and shoulder pain after spending a day with family members. He also had a nagging, dry cough through the night.

"He was a real active kid, so we thought he just got hurt playing with the bigger boys," said Jonathan Moore, Carter's dad. "We took him to the hospital, and they ran some tests.

"When they said it was cancer, it just blew me out the water. I mean, he was only 5."

Carter added: "I didn't know what happened. I guess I was too young to understand. I just remember seeing my parents in tears."

Carter went through three years of treatment, including chemotherapy, and sat out a year of public school. He then spent time at Arbor Acre Preparatory School, a private school in Oak Cliff that caters to children with illnesses.

"It was hard because if he learned all his ABCs one day, maybe the next day he'd get his chemo, and they'd have to start over again," Kimberly Moore said. "A lot of people don't understand that with children on chemo at that age, everything learned up to that age can be wiped out.

"It was like taking two steps forward and three steps back."

Carter's cancer went into remission when he was 8, and he was cleared to play sports months later. Carter's first love was football, but because of the steroids he was required to take for treatment, he was larger than most children his age. As a 125-pound 9-year-old, Carter played on the defensive line in the Pop Warner Super Bowl with the Oak Cliff Redskins, whose players were two, three and four years his senior.

Since then, Carter has worked hard to become the standout football player he's always wanted to be. Carter starts at defensive end but also plays tight end and fullback for Roosevelt (2-1) because of his blocking ability.

"He's been a welcomed addition to our team. He has a lot of drive and is very coachable," Roosevelt coach Joseph Daniels said. "He's a go-getter. Whatever you want him to do, he'll try his best to get it done."

Defeating cancer as a child gave Carter the confidence he can overcome any obstacle. His goal is to help Roosevelt claim a District 11-3A championship and possibly a 3A state championship.

But if it doesn't happen, Carter is very happy with the award considered far greater than the average consolation prize.

"I beat [cancer]," he said. "I know I'm a stronger person because of it. I don't let anything break me down."

CHRIS CARTER
School, class: Roosevelt, senior
Position: Defensive end
Height, weight: 6-2, 218
Nickname: CG (for Christopher George, his first and middle names)
Did ou know? Carter volunteers one Sunday a month in the nursery at Union Missionary Baptist Church in Oak Cliff.
Teammates say: "He's pretty laid back. He doesn't say much. But when he goes on the field, he gets to work." – Roosevelt QB Vincent McNeil Jr.
Favorite athletes: Terrell Owens, Jevon Kearse and former Cowboys LB Joe Bowden. "Joe is my second cousin."
Favorite food: Spinach. "He'll eat vegetables before he eats a cheeseburger at McDonald's," his father, Jonathan Moore said.
Favorite class: English. "I like learning about different authors. I like to write, and I like to read."
Favorite college: "Miami ... or whoever gives me a scholarship."

Roosevelt (2-1) vs. South Oak Cliff (2-2), 3 p.m. Saturday, Kincaide Stadium (KFCD-AM 990)

JR2004
09-27-2007, 02:15 PM
That's a great story about the kid. Even though the kid is at Velt I feel good about seeing him succeed. Hope he does great every game this year except when we play them.

Also was cool to see that Sayles went in-depth in the article and mentioned that he used to be an Oak Cliff Redskin. He's the only high school writer the DMN has right now that's worth reading. Articles like that make you feel like you didn't waste your time reading it.