PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater - Decatur

wildstangs
11-24-2002, 04:57 PM
Any predictions? What is Decatur by the way, the Eagles?

spiderman
11-24-2002, 05:56 PM
Sweetwater by 14.

wildstangs
11-24-2002, 06:01 PM
spiderman:
Sweetwater by 14.Thanks for your support. Wish Wylie was still playing. I have a feeling Everman is gonna win it all though.

VWG
11-24-2002, 11:18 PM
I've said it all year long. Sweetwater is a "one horse" team, you stop Carillo and you stop the Mustangs. Carillo is a great, great player. I've had the pleasure of seeing the kid play. Quick and elusive. I don't think Decatur can stop him. I think that if Sweetwater can keep the Eagles honest, a few carries to Squires, a few pass plays, and a lot of Carillo then Sweetwater advances.
Decatur seems to give up some points on defense, and I guarantee you they have not seen anything like Carillo. Then again, Sweetwater hasn't seen the offense that Decatur has. They are in sync at the right time, and are putting up some points. Can Sweetwater slow this offense down?
I look for a shootout, with a slight edge going to the Mustangs.

wildstangs
11-24-2002, 11:37 PM
VWG:
I've said it all year long. Sweetwater is a "one horse" team, you stop Carillo and you stop the Mustangs. Carillo is a great, great player. I've had the pleasure of seeing the kid play. Quick and elusive. I don't think Decatur can stop him. I think that if Sweetwater can keep the Eagles honest, a few carries to Squires, a few pass plays, and a lot of Carillo then Sweetwater advances.
Decatur seems to give up some points on defense, and I guarantee you they have not seen anything like Carillo. Then again, Sweetwater hasn't seen the offense that Decatur has. They are in sync at the right time, and are putting up some points. Can Sweetwater slow this offense down?
I look for a shootout, with a slight edge going to the Mustangs.Lets hope Decatur thinks Sweetwater is a one horse team like you do. Fullback Jack Squires had close to 150 yards on Friday. Over 1000 for the year.

VWG
11-24-2002, 11:47 PM
wildstangs:

VWG:
I look for a shootout, with a slight edge going to the Mustangs.Lets hope Decatur thinks Sweetwater is a one horse team like you do. Fullback Jack Squires had close to 150 yards on Friday. Over 1000 for the year.Squires is a good FB.. but in my opinion I think that Carillo is a lot more valuable to the team than the FB. Think about it.... if Carillo was hurt and was out for the next game, what type of impact would it have on the team? Although I don't have any stats, I would be curious to see the percentage of offense generated by Carillo vs. the rest of the team.
Good luck to Sweetwater this Saturday.

wildstangs
11-24-2002, 11:56 PM
I get you VWG. Lets hope Carrillo and Squires and the rest of the Stangs come out ready and win a few more!

wtexasfballfan
11-25-2002, 12:13 AM
first of all i'm from perryton, and did anyone see sweetwater's cheerleader fall and BREAK HER NECK?

anyway, i thought we were gonna be able to stop carrilio and squires, but the whole offense is just unstoppable. i'm gonna go ahead and say that decatur will not be able to stop the mustang offense. plus the d is able to make the big play with a great set of linebackers lead by straley and good d-tackles, too. i havent heard much about decatur, but i think that sweetwater is gonna come out and win this one bigger than everyone thinks. i say swater by 14

wildstangs
11-25-2002, 12:24 AM
Are you kidding about the girl breaking her neck? I have heard nothing about that?

The One
11-25-2002, 08:56 AM
Decatur will stop Carillo and that is the key to beating Sweetwater. Decatur is extremely balanced with an excellent passing game and a great rushing game. I will take Decatur by 10 pts.

vet93
11-25-2002, 10:03 AM
We haven't played Sweetwater this year but played them last year and they are tough. Carillo is not imposing in stature but he is like holding a burlap bag full of bobcats...you may contain him for a while but eventually the cat is going to get out of the bag! He is slippery. Having said that the thing that is making them a better offense is the emergence of Squires as a threat. This makes Carillo even more dangerous. One thing that I would like to see Sweetwater do is try a few more short passes. Carillo doesn't have a cannon arm but is accurate on roll outs and shorter pass plays. He can hurt you if you are sucked into the run too much. I worry about containing the Decatur offense...the spread, no huddle is tough to stop (look at Highland Park). I am not sure that Sweetwater has seen this type of offense run this well this year and that could be a problem. I look for a high scoring game. I am going to pick the mustangs by 4 on a late touchdown.

Chief Woodman
11-25-2002, 11:12 AM
I do not know much about Sweetwaters team, although I am researching. I can tell ya this about Decatur- They are better than people think. I am not sying that S'Water is a one horse team, but they do seem to be one dimensional (Run, Run and more run). Decatur has seen one Dimensional team before- B'port (pass), Iowa Park (Run) Pottsboro (run) etc. They they have either totally shut them down, or at least contained them on the scorboard if not statwise. Someone said Decatur gives up points? 170 before last week, a little more than S'water 146. Scoring? S'water 305, a lot less than Decatur's 454. Teams have come out against the Eagles to stop the pass, we run (Mckinney 1000 yrd plus). When they stack against the run, we pass close to 3000 yrds) Dane who is a sophmore, (2nd best 3A qb in north texas this year) has had 15 interceptions- 7 in the first three games, 3 in the first playoff games. This indicates first time jitters which he appears to be over (5 tds, no int last week). The Glen Rose game was closer than it should have been because the team was way too overconfident. I can assure you that they are taking S'water serious, and they will have their game face on. I expect S'water to score some points, but not enough to win.

BullBacker
11-25-2002, 01:10 PM
The keys for Sweetwater beating Decatur.
1. Mix it up - show Decaturs QB Dane alot of different looks on D with alot of different blitz packages.
2. Dont let'um big play ya. Big Plays will kill you.
3. Run baby Run - chew up as much clock as possible.

widowspeak52
11-25-2002, 06:25 PM
Chief Woodman,
I totally agree with you. The Eagles are definitely over-looked, and are absolutely not one dimensional. I've seen McKinney run the ball and knock people heads around due to great blocking by the offensive line and receivers, Dane is also an asset to the Eagle offense, great accuracy, arm strength, and makes good decisions plus he has a very talented receiving corp. The defense knows when they really need to step it up a notch in an important game I.E. the Bridgeport game, shut down Philip and Krebs all night long. Also, I go agree that the Eagles were overcondfident against Glen Rose, I'm close friends with many of the players on offense and they assure me that the first round jitters are out of their system and they are ready to continue to play like they know they are able to. So, it will be a good game to watch Decatur will put up points like always and the defense will step up in kind, I think Decatur will take. P.S.-DONT COUNT YOUR CHICKENS BEFORE THEY HATCH.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-26-2002, 01:07 AM
Honestly, I'm surprised that Sweetwater is still in the playoffs. Against Vernon Sweetwater played well enough to beat Vernon and it may have just been that the first game they didn't play up to what you see now. Carillo was good and had some moves, had some speed, but many QB's in high school football do, especially when you get this deep into the playoffs. Sometimes when a QB or back gets the ball you just cringe thinking he may break one and I don't remember doing that with Sweetwater. Looking back Sweetwater had a solid defense that was aggressive. Vernon nailed them on the throw back pass and ran a couple of screen plays that worked well--but that was about it. I have no idea about Decatur. I do believe that Sweetwater has played a tougher schedule than Decatur. Of course my team is out now so I was kind of hoping for a Ballinger v. Decatur match up closer to where I live so that I could go watch it. No offense wildstangs but I'm going with The One and with Decatur by 10.

wildstangs
11-26-2002, 09:00 PM
Z motion 10 out on 2:
Honestly, I'm surprised that Sweetwater is still in the playoffs. Against Vernon Sweetwater played well enough to beat Vernon and it may have just been that the first game they didn't play up to what you see now. Carillo was good and had some moves, had some speed, but many QB's in high school football do, especially when you get this deep into the playoffs. Sometimes when a QB or back gets the ball you just cringe thinking he may break one and I don't remember doing that with Sweetwater. Looking back Sweetwater had a solid defense that was aggressive. Vernon nailed them on the throw back pass and ran a couple of screen plays that worked well--but that was about it. I have no idea about Decatur. I do believe that Sweetwater has played a tougher schedule than Decatur. Of course my team is out now so I was kind of hoping for a Ballinger v. Decatur match up closer to where I live so that I could go watch it. No offense wildstangs but I'm going with The One and with Decatur by 10.Oh its ok. Anything is possible. I am sticking with Sweetwater. If we win, I wont be serving up any crow, so I dont expect anyone to give me any if we lose.

Ozzy
11-26-2002, 09:56 PM
It's amazing when a team makes the playoffs or goes unbeaten for the first time in forever that they think they are invincible. I see this in several AAA teams: Decatur, Greenwood, Jasper, Sinton. All of these teams are beatable. Sweetwater is tradition-rich in the playoffs. They have won the big one. They have been deep many times. These players have been in the playoffs on the varsity since they were sophomores. I look for Sweetwater to win and win BIG. Never underestimate a TALENTED team from West Texas. They will beat your butt every time.

phoenix
11-26-2002, 11:06 PM
From OZZY - It's amazing when a team makes the playoffs or goes unbeaten for the first time in forever that they think they are invincible. I see this in several AAA teams: Decatur, Greenwood, Jasper, Sinton. All of these teams are beatable. Sweetwater is tradition-rich in the playoffs. They have won the big one. You know your probably right, Sinton, Jasper, Decatur and Greenwood ought to just bow down before tradtional powerhouses and just give it up. They didn't earn their undefeated record. :rolleyes:

phoenix
11-27-2002, 10:56 AM
Bringing it to the top.

Chief Woodman
11-27-2002, 03:43 PM
Ozzy- Never said Decatur was unbeatable. They are beatable and they know it. They are aware of the fact, but they also have the confidence that they can also beat ANYONE if they play their best. It is just that many like you think that because we have not been to the playoffs in a while that we are not as good as the traditional teams. A couple of decades ago, Southlake Carrol was not a powerhouse, but they are now and have been for quite a while in 2A, 3A, 4A and now 5A. Yet, they had to start somewhere. And by the way, your players who have so much experience have lost three times this year. So much for your tradition-rich deep in the playoffs on varsity since Sophmores West Texas Powerhouse. Good luck to both teams, and here is to an injury free game. I will be man enough to tell Sweetwater that they are the better team if they win Saturday. Will you be man enough to say that Dectur is better than Sweetwater if Dectur wins? I hope so. GO EAGLES!

M&M
11-27-2002, 05:29 PM
Woodman,
I have been reading your post's for the last week or so and have tired of your candy coating of the Eagles. Sure they have had a great year and your town and players should be proud. Decatur has been a laughing stock of teams for years. I have heard from some people close to the coaching staff that one of the reason's is the so called younger players. First of all let's define younger players. Woodman, please correct me if I am wrong. Decatur has two seniors on the team that should have already graduated, they have seven juniors that should be seniors and they have two sophmores one should be a junior and one should be a senior. I have been told from someone close to the coaching staff that one of the sophmores will not be able to play as a senior due to age. This town has been holding players back a grade for years. Please correct if my info is wrong. Just trying to compare Apples to Oranges or in this case (plain to peanut). Also, in my opinion the coaching staff has done a great job considering the talent that has left and the seniors that quit during two a days or before.

vet93
11-27-2002, 05:53 PM
I am noticing a trend...hmmm! It seems that all of the west texas folk are predicting a Sweetwater victory and all of the metroplex people are predicting a Decatur victory. All I know is that both teams are well coached and are having a great season. At the beginning of the year I predicted Kennedale and Sweetwater in the regional final. My Bearcats messed up the Kennedale part...darn wink but I am still rooting for the mustangs to make it on the other side of the bracket. You do have to give Decatur a lot of credit for putting together a breakout season. It looks like they have the ball rolling and will be good for the next few years. Wildstangs...what is the scouting report for the Mustangs next year. Everyone knows that Carillo will be graduating...what about the rest of the team? I would imagine that Sweetwater will just reload and keep on playing well but it is tough to lose a field general like Carillo.

MASH4077
11-27-2002, 06:27 PM
Actually we 2 ex-Cowboys currently playing for us and 3 24 yr olds. what an Idiot! everybody is elgible and will be elgible the next 3 years.

Chief Woodman
11-27-2002, 08:33 PM
Someone named M&M is talkinig about candy coatings?...(JOKE) Well son, you have been misinformed by someone who is full of sour grapes or is a total liar. Have him name the players he is talking about, and then you report them to the UIL. What you are saying about players too old is against UIL rules. If what you are alleging about players being too old is true, then I will gladly say that we did not earn the district title this season and I will lead the request to forfit the games and replace the coaching staff. Who ever this person is that says he is close to the coaching staff- better stop listening to the fool who ever he is. All of our players on varsity will be eligible to participate in sports in their senior year. You are correct about one thing- several players (10 in fact) quit right before the season began. Two had legitimate reasons, several because they were not going to start. Some with wrong attitudes because they wanted to tell the coach who to play and where. Several have expressed regret for missing out on the fun. One even asked to please be let back on the team. (Was not allowed to). As our record indicates, those with the wrong attitudes were as they say....."legends in their own minds". By the way please quote the part of my previous posts that are "candy coating". I thought I was expressing an honest opinion, not trying to candy coat anything.

M&M
11-27-2002, 09:10 PM
Woody, Mashy
First of all I'm not your son or daughter and second of all I never mentioned that any of your players were not legal to play (must be feeling a little guilty) about the 12 players that are actually a year older than their classmates. I also stated that they are having a great year and should be proud of their record. As far the UIL is concerned you should have plently of experience with dealing with those issues (Sanger).

Isa4031
11-27-2002, 10:53 PM
M&M:
Sure they have had a great year and your town and players should be proud. Decatur has been a laughing stock of teams for years. I have heard from some people close to the coaching staff that one of the reason's is the so called younger players...This town has been holding players back a grade for years...Also, in my opinion the coaching staff has done a great job considering the talent that has left and the seniors that quit during two a days or before.
Originally posted by M&M:
Woody, Mashy
First of all I'm not your son or daughter and second of all I never mentioned that any of your players were not legal to play (must be feeling a little guilty) about the 12 players that are actually a year older than their classmates. I also stated that they are having a great year and should be proud of their record. As far the UIL is concerned you should have plently of experience with dealing with those issues (Sanger).Please take my sarcasm lightheartedly :D :

Okay, M&M you are on to us, we confess, we'll even document the classified files below:

Decatur's 10-year Plan:
The Great Decatur Football Conspiracy:

Phase 1:
Begin to hold back potential all-star players back a year or two. Be aware that many players will not want to be held back but gently show them that football is more important than graduating with their peers. A critical phase: if comprimised, expect a major backlash from players and their parents.
(Target Date: 2002)

Phase 2:
Force some of our potential all-stars to other schools, some which will later compete against us like Bridgeport.
(Plan succeeded in 2002; Due to the success of former Decatur players in Bridgeport, Stephenville, and Corpus Christi Calallen )

Phase 3:
Sanger Incident. Lesson: Be more careful or the plan could be compromised.
(Plan failed in 1997)

Phase 4:
Have a few more losing seasons so that we will be the "laughing stock" and can shock everyone on our target date.
(Plan succeeded from '94?-'99...I was a willing accomplice in 96' and 97' :rolleyes: )

Phase 5:
Have a couple of head coaching and coaching-philosophy changes
(Plan implemented in 96' and 98')

Phase 6:
Have the fans including opposing fans like Bridgeport's fans begin to talk about how great the "younger" players are and hope no one finds out about Phase 1.
(Plan compromised on November 27, 2002)

Chief Woodman
11-27-2002, 11:08 PM
M&M- Nothing to feel guilty about, so I am not feeling guilty at all. Also not throwing around false info. To quote you... "I have been told from someone close to the coaching staff that one of the sophmores will not eligible to play as a senior due to age"...and.... "two sophmores 1 should be a JR and 1 should be a SR". None of our three SOPH (NOT 2) will be ineligible as a senior due to age. So your inference is that someone is WAY too old. We do have some student athletes who are older than some of their classmates, but they are within the UIL age classifications for their grade. None that I am aware of SHOULD be a SR or a JR, although one COULD be a JR. Nothing wrong with that. In fact some of our JRs just turned 16 this last AUGUST- they could easily be Sophmores. If we do have a sophmore that will be ineligible when he is a senior due to age, then he is out of his age bracket for his grade. Name the player and I will cheeck it out, although I can tell you right now that I belive this to be an unfounded lie. Sorry, your "source" is not as close to the coaching staff as they claim, or they are at the least not to bright. If I misunderstood the two quotes I just made, I humbly ask for your forgiveness. If the two quotes are reasonably acurate however, then it is time for you to support your allegations with facts- name the players you are refering to and I will check it out. Two things really upset me about the sports world- cheaters and whiners. If the EAGLES have done anything wrong, I would be one of the first to demmand something be done to correct the situation. Cheating is wrong and I would never support it. If the allegations are not true or if all the players are within the age limits for their grade-stop crying. PS- you never told me what statement I made was "sugarcoating" anything. Please understand that I mean nothing personal about any of this. But the allegations are serious, and need to be either confirmed or stopped in their tracks.

Chief Woodman
11-27-2002, 11:30 PM
ISA 4031-
Dude! Do Not tell all our classified stuff! Also, you forgot to mention in Phase 2 the successes of the player who went to other towns. Oh thats right, never mind. Some were not too successful. However, we must continue with the grand conspiriacy, keep the other cities and towns laughing. It is our ONLY chance since our beards have been discovered! Or we could change coaches again, start with a new offence and "D" for the third time in 8 years. HAHAHAHAHAHA

M&M
11-27-2002, 11:44 PM
Woodman,
Sorry to get you stirred up. I did forget to mention the senior that parents moved back to the metroplex when he was a sophomore and he stayed last year living with a 2001 player. It seems this year he is living with another family. I just wonder who he will be living with after the Regional track meet this year, maybe you I doubt it.

EaglesRule
11-28-2002, 12:56 AM
My Prediction! The EAGLES WINY BY 21! Our defense will stuff Carillo worse than a Thanksgiving turkey.

As for Deacatur not playing defense! Take a look at these scores!

20 - 7
56 - 0
55 - 21
34 - 0
27 - 0
54 - 6
46 - 18
32 - 14
41 - 25

All but two of these games were over by the 3d quarter! I promsie the Eagles can play defense, and they have enough speed and athletes to control the one trick ponies aka mustangs!

Decatur 42
Sweetwater 21

M&M
11-28-2002, 01:10 AM
Woodman,
I have read your post again. Please use spell check or Webster's before you send your reply. I must have really hit a nerve.

fwisd
11-28-2002, 10:00 AM
Hmmmmmm - I have a question - if the games were over in the 3rd quarter - why were the starters still in - in the 4th??? LOL

MASH4077
11-28-2002, 10:03 AM
sourpuss makes her return! You sure have been quiet during all these victories.

Chief Woodman
11-28-2002, 10:53 AM
M&M

Yeh lets call a truce. You did get me stired up, false statements usually do. I offer you a cup of coffee and some cake. Lets talk about what the real issue is. Tell me, what injustice did you or your little boy suffer in Decatur that would cause you to on your very first post ever to attack me? (Still trying to figure out how someone gets 5 gold stars in their rating before they have ever posted one tme). I have offered you the place to name any names of players who are outside the UIL rules, and you are not able to do so. So what ails thee my fellow sports lover?
Oh by the way I have not been totally forthcoming. I too had heard the rumors of players too old a couple of years ago. Like you, I thought they might be true. Instead of making accusations in a public forum, I inquired with an attorney concerning them. (I told ya I cannot stand cheating) He looked into it- and found that all of the rumors were either exagerations or out right lies. You are right about a player who no longer lives with his family- yet what has happend there is totally within UIL rules. So what is your real issue? It seems you want to bad mouth Decatur- so you must have an ax to grind. It seems if you have any legitimate complaints, yoou have places you can take them to IF THEY ARE TRUE and against the rules. Seriously, I would be ashamed if all the things you said were true and Decatur had broke the UIL rules. But agian, they have already been checked out and found to be false.
Results count, Excuses do not.

Chief Woodman
11-28-2002, 10:58 AM
Eagles rule- Was the 56-0 score against the mighty Potsboro Cardinals?

M&M
11-28-2002, 12:41 PM
Woodman,
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I have been killing the dinner. You stated that you can't believe of my five star rating (actually that is four stars). But us Decaturites sometimes have trouble with numbers. As I stated earlier I said correct me if I'm wrong. I never stated any player was ineligible now. I guess we could go to the square for that cup of coffee and cake thing. On second thought that's just not going to happen but thanks for the offer. My last thought on the truce deal I guess we can call a Thanksgiving truce. I got to cook the kill for dinner. But I'll be back.

mustang04
11-28-2002, 03:49 PM
whats the weather suppoesed to be doing saturday in stephenville?? :)

Ladykat5
11-28-2002, 08:42 PM
I dont have any predictions and I hope both teams do well but my support leans towards Sweetwater. Even though we beat ya'll last year in the playoffs you guys are pretty cool. No offense to Decator...I am sure you guys are cool to...I'll have to decide if we play ya'll next year! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! Have a good one!

The One
11-29-2002, 05:45 AM
I am detecting meltdown within the ranks of the city!

Lighten up guys and enjoy the fun. You may not make it back next year, take a deep breath and go out and take care of Business, let the UIL sort out the allegations.

footballmaniac
11-29-2002, 02:06 PM
wildstangs, Just wanted you to look under the topic" Player of the year", There is a message there for you. Thanks

BportFan
11-29-2002, 08:37 PM
I will be going to the game. I hope it will be a good one. I am sure Sweetwater will try to control the ball on offense. I saw the Sweetwater QB as a sophmore and he was very good and fast. I will take Sweetwater by 4. Those West Texas teams can play football and hit.

Ladykat5
11-30-2002, 01:14 AM
Yeah those west texas teams can play...one beat us :( ....oh well no point in being sad for to long...we'll be back next year :p Good luck to Sweetwater!!! Have a good one!

jess22
11-30-2002, 03:14 AM
M&M i dont know who u think u are and where u got all of your so called great information but maybe u need to check again.... i am soo sure that seven juniors are suppose to be seniors.. as a matter of a fact i know that is not true... i know alot about the decatur football team and know all their ages... soo maybe u need to get you info straight ... just because Decatur actually is winning in football this year everyone wants to bad mouth the team just let them have thier glory for a little while everyone knows decatur hasnt performed well in football but they are this year and people need to respect them and not just go around talkin crap.. i know these guyz have worked hard all year and are determined they might not have all the skills the other teams have but they sure do have the heart and dedications it takes to go far.. Decatur is known for their hard work ethics in all their sports we win because we know we can and deep down inside we want it more than the other opponents..Good luck to the eagles and congrats on a great year thanks for making my last year a success!!!

<small>[ November 30, 2002, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: jess22 ]</small>

M&M
12-01-2002, 11:30 AM
Jesy,
My final thoughts in responding to your statements. I guess the Chief's smoke signal for the treaty couldn't be seen on the west side of town like it could on the east. I also don't think I singled out any one class. If you are indeed in your last year you should not be on the computer at 2:15 am the night before the big game. When my kids get to be teenagers we will have a understanding about bedtimes. My advice to you is to get to sleep early so you can get to school early for spelling lessons because you are way out of your league on this one.

screechin stang
12-04-2002, 12:24 AM
EaglesRule:
My Prediction! The EAGLES WINY BY 21! Our defense will stuff Carillo worse than a Thanksgiving turkey.

20 - 7
56 - 0
55 - 21
34 - 0
27 - 0
54 - 6
46 - 18
32 - 14
41 - 25

All but two of these games were over by the 3d quarter! I promsie the Eagles can play defense, and they have enough speed and athletes to control the one trick ponies aka mustangs!

Decatur 42
Sweetwater 21stuff carrillo huh??

screechin stang
12-04-2002, 12:38 AM
EaglesRule:

20 - 7
56 - 0
55 - 21
34 - 0
27 - 0
54 - 6
46 - 18
32 - 14
41 - 25

Decatur 42
Sweetwater 21stuff carrillo huh??