PDA

View Full Version : Barber vs Jones

Fotbol
09-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Doesn't the offense run a little smoother when Barbers in, or is it just me!

Old Tiger
09-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Barber is better and I see them making the switch to Barber as the starter.

Maroon87
09-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Barber gets most of his yardage in the 2nd half when the defense is worn down and he's still fresh.

Old Tiger
09-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Barber gets most of his yardage in the 2nd half when the defense is worn down and he's still fresh. Defenses worn down by the hard running of Julius Jones, ya right! Barber is a much better back than Jones. It looks sometimes as if Jones is timid and unsure of where to go and attacking holes.

luvhoops34
09-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Marion Barber is THE MAN! This is the second year I've had him on my fantasy team and he is awsome! I don't care if they start him or not, just give him those short yardage TD's baby.

Maroon87
09-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Defenses worn down by the hard running of Julius Jones, ya right! Barber is a much better back than Jones. It looks sometimes as if Jones is timid and unsure of where to go and attacking holes.

I didn't say worn down by whom. I just said worn down. And I agree, Barber is much better than Jones.

crzyjournalist03
09-26-2007, 11:13 AM
not trying to be PC or anything, but I really believe that they both serve a purpose. I believe Barber is best served as a 10-15 carry type back. I seriously doubt he'd be nearly as effective with 25-30 carries in a game. Julius has had some big plays called back by penalties the first few weeks, and he's got another gear that when he finds it is much quicker than Barber.

pirate4state
09-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
not trying to be PC or anything, but I really believe that they both serve a purpose. I believe Barber is best served as a 10-15 carry type back. I seriously doubt he'd be nearly as effective with 25-30 carries in a game. Julius has had some big plays called back by penalties the first few weeks, and he's got another gear that when he finds it is much quicker than Barber. True. Sucks for him. Hopefully he won't get ansy and want to leave. I think there is room for both of them on the team! :)

vet93
09-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Barber is more effective because he is a decisive, north and south, hard nosed type of back. Jones seems a little timid to me when he hits the hole. He is a talented guy but his hesitation gets him in trouble sometimes.

Bearkat
09-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Why does everyone want to have this discussion? Why does everyone want to screw up a good thing? Leave the RB rotation alone. Using both backs has the COWBOYS a 3-0 record. Haven't you heard the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

STANG RED
09-26-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure either of them could carry the whole load for a full season, so I like the way they are splitting time now. Both should be in pretty good shape come playoff time, while a lot of full time RBs will be worn out and dinged up. The problem is going to be in keeping them both satisfied in these roles. I'm sure they had both rather be a full time RB.

Old Tiger
09-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I'm not sure either of them could carry the whole load for a full season, so I like the way they are splitting time now. Both should be in pretty good shape come playoff time, while a lot of full time RBs will be worn out and dinged up. The problem is going to be in keeping them both satisfied in these roles. I'm sure they had both rather be a full time RB. May have been the case 5 years ago but now most teams use the two back system.

STANG RED
09-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
May have been the case 5 years ago but now most teams use the two back system.
True, but most dont do it to the extent the boys do. Most do have that primary back that will get most of the load.

BILLYFRED0000
09-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
Doesn't the offense run a little smoother when Barbers in, or is it just me!

I have seen this soooo much. Julius gets the first two series when the Defense is fresh and the offense is not clicking yet. He still gets comparable yardage. Not saying they are equal just pointing out the obvious. Barber would last half a season running the way he does if he was the lone setback. I probably would start Barber just to see if there was a difference which IMHO there would be very little.

mrescape43
09-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Barber gets my vote.

KTA
09-26-2007, 05:58 PM
if you go to ESPN and look at there last 3 games, and the play by play I would say that Jones isnt even close to wearing down the D for Barber to come in. Dont believe me? Take a look for yourself

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=270909006

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=270916015

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=270923003

Am I the only one who has noticed they keep putting Barber in the game earlier and earlier.

Bull's-eye
09-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Last year, I would of chosen Jones over Barber, but Barber has now taken his game to a whole new level. Jones has ability to break some long runs, but is more prone to being stopped in the backfield. Barber has been great as a short yardage back or when the Cowboys get in the redzone. Barber is also a great blocker on passing downs and does an excellant job of picking up the blitz. I now favor Barber, but I believe both runners do a good job of complimenting one another.

Bulldog_12
09-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Marion Barber is THE MAN! This is the second year I've had him on my fantasy team and he is awsome! I don't care if they start him or not, just give him those short yardage TD's baby.

Same here. I don't care what they do as long as Barber is still winning me games. He saved my tail with the 60 yard run against the Bears Sunday.

piratebg
09-28-2007, 10:55 AM
I like the 2 back system Dallas is using. Both backs are different kinds of runners and good in their own ways, but they cannot survive without the other. Barber doesn't have the endurance to go whole games the way he runs and Jones may not be as elusive as Barber, but he can hit the gaps pretty quick and is very good on screen passes. The Cowboys have a very good thing going with these two by rotating them and keeping them fresh. It takes some time, but they have been wearing down defenses in the second half .