PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater's pink endzones & midfield S???

Sweetwater Red
09-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Every year they are usually repainted prior to the beginning of
the football season. This year they weren't. The only thing I can
figure is that with as wet as this summer has been the turf was
too moist to paint. Does that make any sense?

STANG RED
09-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Yea I noticed the pink endzones. For some reason the big "S" on the 50 didn't look nearly as faded out.
I sure hope they do get them painted soon though.
I'd hate to start hollering PINK PINK PINK from here on out.:D

I just hope the uniforms do follow suit.:eek:

Old Tiger
09-26-2007, 10:12 AM
pretty in pink
wicked in a uniform

sweetwater07
09-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Every year they are usually repainted prior to the beginning of
the football season. This year they weren't. The only thing I can
figure is that with as wet as this summer has been the turf was
too moist to paint. Does that make any sense?

i haven't seen them since early August... i might have to laugh out loud this weekend..:D

Black_Magic
09-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Sweetwaters next years Uniforms. Sweetwater Red is sick and tired of painting the endzones so they are changing school colors so as to match the enzones. I think the color is more fitting anyway:D
http://www.ugaredzone.com/georgia/apparel/ugageorgiagirlspinkjersey.jpg

sweetwater07
09-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Sweetwaters next years Uniforms. Sweetwater Red is sick and tired of painting the endzones so they are changing school colors so as to match the enzones. I think the color is more fitting anyway:D

where have you been? i've missed your shining face..:devil:

STANG RED
09-26-2007, 10:55 AM

Might not be a bad idea. Give them the the "boy named Sue" syndrom. That ought to make them tough as hell! That is if we can field a team.

Ranger Mom
09-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by sweetwater07

LOL!!! You should have seen him trying to ignore us at halftime of their game in Sweetwater......it was HILARIOUS!!!!!!

sweetwater07
09-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
LOL!!! You should have seen him trying to ignore us at halftime of their game in Sweetwater......it was HILARIOUS!!!!!!

lol...i've never met him so i wouldn't have recognized him...was he ignoring the M&G??

Sweetwater Red
09-26-2007, 11:03 AM

Speaking of shining faces does this guy remind ya'll of anyone?

http://www.nfl.com/teams/minnesotavikings/coaches?coaType=head&team=MIN

:devil: :D :devil:

Butkus
09-26-2007, 11:04 AM
lol...i've never met him so i wouldn't have recognized him...was he ignoring the M&G?? Few have met old blackie. His buddy str hangs out high and old blackie hangs out low.:devil:

LH Panther Mom
09-26-2007, 11:05 AM

:evillol: :evillol: :evillol: Just missing some Raybans. :devil:

sweetwater07
09-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Butkus
Few have met old blackie. His buddy str hangs out high and old blackie hangs out low.:devil:
isn't he like a coach or something??

Butkus
09-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:evillol: :evillol: :evillol: Just missing some Raybans. :devil: Now u guys and gals go easy on old blackie. He does at lease still have a head a hare.:D

Sweetwater Red
09-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Butkus
Now u guys and gals go easy on old blackie. He does at lease still have a head a hare.:D

For now anyway...:D

BullFrog Dad
09-26-2007, 11:29 AM
http://www.ugaredzone.com/georgia/apparel/ugageorgiagirlspinkjersey.jpg They wouldn't be the first!Pink & black?
Believe it or not, the Nittany Lions haven't always charged onto the field wearing the standard blue-and-white uniforms. Long, long ago -- over a century to be exact -- the team took the field dressed in somewhat brighter garb.

By CYNDI BURK
Collegian Staff Writer
Cheers of "Whish! Whack! Pink and Black!" roar from the crowd as the Penn State football players proudly run onto the field in their handsome pink and black uniforms.

Pink and black? This is a scenario that once was, and still could have been, quite normal to Penn State fans.

Back in 1887, when the school's first football team began intercollegiate play, school spirit was introduced through special school colors, according to the March 1980 issue of Town and Gown Magazine.

A committee of three students -- one senior, one junior and one sophomore -- was appointed to choose two colors to represent the University.

"We wanted something bright and attractive," said George Meek, a member of the class of 1890 in an interview for the October 15, 1955 issue of the Beaver Pictorial.

So, bright and attractive it became.

In October, a football team dressed in cerise (pink) and black uniforms displayed its colors before the student body, which had unanimously voted for the them. The baseball team also had uniforms of the new colors.

Soon, the entire campus appeared electrified as pink and black blazers and caps became the new fashion trend of the 80's.

Exactly how the story ends is still unconfirmed. According to the Beaver Pictorial, there are two stories. The first, and the one the Pictorial finds more believable, is the story told by Meek.

Meek said that within three weeks, the sun had faded the vivacious pink to a dull white. What remained of the once eye-catching uniform was a stark, boring uniform of white and black.

In March 1890, the students voted to change the colors to blue and white, and in May, the baseball team had the honors of wearing the new colors at its first game, according to Town and Gown.

The second story was told to the Pictorial by F.J. Pond, a member of the class of 1892.

Pond said the baseball team was ridiculed by members of the Dickinson team at a home game. The opposing team chanted "Yah, yah, hay, Yah, yah, yeh, Bees wax, bees wax. A.B.C," he told the local magazine.

The squad, embarrassed and disgusted, decided it would be a good idea to change both the school colors and the school cheers.

Regardless of the true story behind the school-color change, athletes today are happy it was made.

"I think I'd feel pretty (silly) wearing pink and black. They aren't exactly normal colors," said Tom Bill, Penn State's starting quarterback.

Bill doesn't think school colors have anything to do with a school's image, and he said he never really thinks about the colors he wears.

"I just put the uniform on and play," he said.

Byron Magee, a baseball player, said he is not sure what it would be like to play in pink and black.

"It'd be different, that's for sure," Magee said. "I'm sure we'd take a lot of flack from other teams because pink and black, well, they're just not very masculine."

Magee said he approves of the chosen alternative of blue and white because they seem to "go hand in hand."

Fans are not as attatched to blue and white as one might guess from the amount found wandering around campus.

"I don't think we'd have an image problem with pink and black," said Lee Fiederer (senior-history). "I have no problem with pink and don't find it particularly feminine," he added.

Steven Tiltlebaum (junior-political science) agreed, adding that if the colors were always pink and black, then it was okay with him.

crzyjournalist03
09-26-2007, 12:03 PM
I wish color photographs existed back then...I'd like to see them!

Sweetwater Red
09-27-2007, 08:37 AM

Hey Black Magic where did you go? You were on a roll with the
whole pink jersey thing until the above was posted.:thinking: