PDA

View Full Version : Krum & Ponder to add football?

3afan
09-26-2007, 10:03 AM
this is a few weeks old and may have been posted already, but oh well:

Are you ready for some football?

09:23 AM CDT on Sunday, September 9, 2007

To paraphrase Robert Frost, something there is that does not like a Texas town without a high school football team. Texas has many iconic images that it holds dear, but few are as revered as that of the home-town team taking the field on autumn nights for honor, glory and the right to second-guess the coach on Saturday mornings down at the coffee shop.

Ask Celina.

If you are a Texan who loves football — and yes, we know; we’re being redundant — there is something incomplete about your town if it does not field a football team. In small towns, especially, the football team is the glue that holds the town together, the one rallying point for an otherwise ornery and contentious populace. Even in larger cities, the local football team can be a source of pride and unity when things aren’t going well on other fronts.

Ask Odessa.

But if the love of football is a given in Texas, so is flinty-eyed thriftiness, the disinclination to let go of a dollar until the eagle has hollered uncle at least twice. Texans have seen suffering in hard times and wasteful profligacy in fat times; they are not much enamored of either. When football fever runs up against Texas thrift, something has to give.

Two Denton County school districts — Krum and Ponder — are proposing bond issues that would fund start-up high school football programs. Krum, which already has a proud varsity basketball tradition, is seeking a $7.5 million bond issue to finance football and volleyball facilities and programs. Part of a $13.4 million bond issue proposed by the Ponder school district would finance the establishment of a high school varsity football program.

Both schools have tried before to jump-start football programs with a bond vote; both have failed. But Krum came close last year, when a bond proposal for football failed by only 56 votes. Ponder hopes that coupling football with other needed improvements — a new band hall and choir room — will mute some objections that the district is favoring athletics over other extracurricular pursuits.

We have no idea what the voters in Krum and Ponder will end up deciding when asked to vote again on football. Moreover, we have no idea how they should decide. About the only advice we’re prepared to offer is a time-worn cliche: If you want it, go for it, but remember you have to be willing to pay the piper.

More interesting to contemplate are the tugs-of-war that will be going on inside the heads and hearts of folks who love football and hate property taxes (that’ll be just about everybody, we’d bet).

There will be sub-groups among those voters, and a large one will be made up of those who would be willing to pay for a winning program, but not for a losing one, which is how most brand-new football programs start out.

If someone could strike some kind of Mephistophelean bargain whereby the locals could be guaranteed to whup all comers first pop out of the box, we’d bet both proposals would pass in a New York minute.

crzyjournalist03
09-26-2007, 10:08 AM
why wouldn't they have football? Don't they realize that it's one of the biggest money-makers that a school can have?

3afan
09-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
why wouldn't they have football? Don't they realize that it's one of the biggest money-makers that a school can have?

its also a huge up-front cost that some are not willing to bear ... it could be years before they recoop that cost and actually start making $

crzyjournalist03
09-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
its also a huge up-front cost that some are not willing to bear ... it could be years before they recoop that cost and actually start making $

yeah...I guess I can see that...sometimes people are near-sighted and don't see the long-term ramifications and benefits of programs.

Just imagine how nice Dallas will be once highway construction is completed! :D

3afan
09-26-2007, 10:15 AM
yes, except highway construction will NEVER be completed

crzyjournalist03
09-26-2007, 10:17 AM
touche'

JR2004
09-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Never thought I'd see either of these two do it. Looks like Boxell might have to move out to East Texas to get himself another basketball only school.

wookinpanub
09-26-2007, 01:50 PM
There was talk about Snook doing the same about 2-3 years ago but I think they ditched the idea because it would deflate some of the budget used in basketball.

VWG
09-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Krum now has a little league football program in grades 1-6. This has stirred up quite a bit of interest in football.... again. Krum, like Ponder is so close to Denton that both of these school districts are growing. More kids = more need for extracurricular programs.
It is a huge upfront cost to start a football program. Building a stadium, hiring coaches, equipment, etc....
I know that Krum is having more people involved in trying to get this bond issue passed this time and it seems to be gaining momentum in its' favor.
I thought that Ponder already had some 7th and 8th grade games this year to start feeding kids into their system?
I could be wrong though.
Again... I think it will pass sooner or later. Both of these communities are seeing explosive growth and the more new people move in, the more they will press for school football programs.
Also, don't forget that both Krum and Ponder are in the middle of the Barnett Shale boom. Could get some money coming in off of that to help out.

slpybear the bullfan
09-26-2007, 08:23 PM
The old timers in both Krum and Ponder are slowly but surely becoming outnumbered by the "move-ins".

Eventually, they will get the votes they need to get football approved. Lots of folks there are pretty frustrated with the lack of football.

JR2004
09-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by wookinpanub
There was talk about Snook doing the same about 2-3 years ago but I think they ditched the idea because it would deflate some of the budget used in basketball.

It would be a sure sign that the apocalypse is upon us the day Snook adds football.

Antec
09-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Will Snook ever have a varsity team?

I see they have junior high and JV