PDA

View Full Version : SWAG Football

3afan
09-26-2007, 07:08 AM
anyone been to a game at Southwestern Assemblies of God U. in Waxahachie?

The Lions are an NAIA program and are 0-4 this season so far

at Austin C. (TX) Lost 21-35
Sul Ross State U. Lost 7-39
at Bacone C. (OK) Lost 24-31
at Kansas Wesleyan U. Lost 28-30

9/29/07 at Ottawa C. (Ottawa, KS)
10/6/07 Friends U. (KS)
10/13/07 at Texas C. (Tyler, TX)
10/20/07 at Haskell Indian Nations U. (Lawrence, KS)
11/3/07 at Peru State C. (Peru, NE)
11/10/07 Faulkner U. (AL)

3afan
09-26-2007, 09:44 AM
no one?

I'm actually thinking about going to the 10/6 game just to check it out ...

luvhoops34
09-26-2007, 09:48 AM
My daughters volleyball team played them.:D There are both in the Red River Conference.:p

3afan
09-26-2007, 10:06 AM
where does she play VB?

Red River Conference
Bacone College (Muskogee, Okla.)
Houston Baptist University (Houston, Texas)
Huston-Tillotson College (Austin, Texas)
Jarvis Christian College (Hawkins, Texas)
Langston University (Langston, Okla.)
Northwood University (Cedar Hill, Texas)
Paul Quinn College (Dallas, Texas)
College of the Southwest (Hobbs, N.M.)
Southwestern Assemblies of God University (Waxahachie, Texas)
University of Texas at Brownsville (Brownsville, Texas)
Texas College (Tyler, Texas)
Texas Wesleyan University (Fort Worth, Texas)
Wiley College (Marshall, Texas)

luvhoops34
09-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
where does she play VB?

Red River Conference
Bacone College (Muskogee, Okla.)
Houston Baptist University (Houston, Texas)
Huston-Tillotson College (Austin, Texas)
Jarvis Christian College (Hawkins, Texas)
Langston University (Langston, Okla.)
Northwood University (Cedar Hill, Texas)
Paul Quinn College (Dallas, Texas)
College of the Southwest (Hobbs, N.M.)
Southwestern Assemblies of God University (Waxahachie, Texas)
University of Texas at Brownsville
Texas College (Tyler)
Texas Wesleyan University (Fort Worth)
Wiley College (Marshall, Texas)

She coaches at UTB.:D

She used to play for them.

3afan
09-26-2007, 10:14 AM
when I played JUCO baseball we went to Brownsville to play Texas Southmost College --- Saturday & Sunday we were rained out so we just went to the beach and into Matamoros - we finally played 2 games on Monday then came home

JR2004
09-26-2007, 01:55 PM
I played for SAGU (Not called SWAG by the way) in the late 90's when the program was in its infancy as a tight end/emergency QB. Man those were some fun times we had. Got beat like a drum by UMHB, but our other roadtrips to games in Tennessee, Oklahoma and Kansas were something else...lol. Couple that with having a head coach from New Orleans (Paul Burgard) who had a THICK accent and every practice was fun stuff.

I still remember beginning every practice with some scripture reading from either a coach or player and then singing "We'll Give the Glory to Jesus and tell of his wonderful Love." Everytime we broke the huddle on offense we said "Praise God" and everytime the defense broke the huddle they said "Amen"...I know it sounds hokie to most of y'all, but it was unique. As odd as this may sound I was actually saved during one of our games up in the mountains in Tennessee against a school called Bethel. That was the greatest spiritual experience of my life. I'm guessing there isn't too many folks who can say they came to Jesus on a muddy football field in Tennessee...lol.

Hempstead's current head coach was the DC my first year at SAGU. Ricky Sargent is as good a human being as you'll run across. I have more respect for him as a man than anyone I know.

3afan
09-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
... SAGU (Not called SWAG by the way) ...

my bad

luvhoops34
09-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
when I played JUCO baseball we went to Brownsville to play Texas Southmost College --- Saturday & Sunday we were rained out so we just went to the beach and into Matamoros - we finally played 2 games on Monday then came home

They wre JUCO until two years ago. This is the first year for mens and womens soccer.

3afan
09-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
They wre JUCO until two years ago. This is the first year for mens and womens soccer.

yep - my JUCO has been a 4 yr school for a while, now known as CUA (Concordia Univ.-Austin)

BobcatBenny
09-26-2007, 04:30 PM
... As odd as this may sound I was actually saved during one of our gam?es up in the mountains in Tennessee against a school called Bethel. That was the greatest spiritual experience of my life. I'm guessing there isn't too many folks who can say they came to Jesus on a muddy football field in Tennessee...
I know we are to avoid religion in our discussions . . .
. . . but I will bite on this bait.

How do you know you came to Jesus on a muddy football field in Tennessee?

crzyjournalist03
09-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny

dude...are you serious?

3afan
09-26-2007, 05:25 PM
when/where/how/why/under what field conditions someone "comes to Jesus" is a personal thing sometimes unexplainable

JR2004
09-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny

It's one of those things that words cannot adequately express and I would assume it to be that way for most folks when they are touched by God in such a powerful way. I attempted to explain how it happened two weeks later when my coach asked me to give the pre-game talk before we played Haskell Indian Nations up in Tulsa. I explained it as best I could then. To a man every single one of my teammates said there was just something completely different about me. It was just the most amazing experience I've ever had with the Good Lord. I have no miracle story about us making some big comeback that day though. We got drilled 41-0 by the team we were playing in Tennessee that day. :)

I always was under the impression that folks just showed up in church and you got saved when someone made an altar call and that was that. I learned differently on that October day almost 8 years ago. The journey of winding up at SAGU made absolutely no sense to me up until that point because I was content to just transfer into UT after my two years were up at ACC down in Austin. It was amazing to me looking back and seeing the chain of events that led to that day.

Anyhow go watch SAGU 3Afan and realize you'll be watching some good young Christian men out there representing the Good Lord in a positive way win or lose.

big daddy russ
09-26-2007, 07:18 PM
...I still remember beginning every practice with some scripture reading from either a coach or player and then singing "We'll Give the Glory to Jesus and tell of his wonderful Love." Everytime we broke the huddle on offense we said "Praise God" and everytime the defense broke the huddle they said "Amen"...I know it sounds hokie to most of y'all, but it was unique. As odd as this may sound I was actually saved during one of our games up in the mountains in Tennessee against a school called Bethel. That was the greatest spiritual experience of my life. I'm guessing there isn't too many folks who can say they came to Jesus on a muddy football field in Tennessee...lol....
I know this story may sound crazy to some, but I think it's an amazing story. Share it with as many people as you can.

BobcatBenny
09-26-2007, 09:36 PM
...I always was under the impression that folks just showed up in church and you got saved when someone made an altar call and that was that. I learned differently on that October day almost 8 years ago. The journey of winding up at SAGU made absolutely no sense to me up until that point because I was content to just transfer into UT after my two years were up at ACC down in Austin. It was amazing to me looking back and seeing the chain of events that led to that day...

Thanks for the response. And yes I was serious. It is not a personal thing, it is a spiritual thing and the spirit wants us to know.