PDA

View Full Version : VB: 30-3A//Sinton vs. West Oso

pirate4state
09-25-2007, 01:34 PM
:eek: :eek: I am shocked that Phil hasn't posted something before now on this HUGE game tonight!!! :eek: :eek:

West Oso vs. Sinton, in Sinton at 7:00 p.m. - both teams are undefeated in district play and in tournaments this year have split games. Big time hitters on both sides of the net. Looking forward to this game tonight!!

If you are in the area you should come out & watch!!

GOOD LUCK LADY PIRATES!! :cheerl:

Phil C
09-25-2007, 01:41 PM
This is an important district game between the two unbeatens. I think they split matches in tournaments and they were all very close games that weren't decided till a fifth close game. Hopefully Sinton fans will be there really yelling tonight because we need to beat them on our home court.

I will be going to the gym at 5 P.M. tonight to also catch the freshmen and jv games.

pirate4state
09-25-2007, 01:46 PM
You cheer for me in those early games. I can't make it until about 6:30 or so. See you there!!

AP Panther Fan
09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
You cheer for me in those early games. I can't make it until about 6:30 or so. See you there!!

My daughter says "Coco is a beast"....she means it in a good way though (I made her clarify);)

pirate4state
09-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
My daughter says "Coco is a beast"....she means it in a good way though (I made her clarify);) LOL yeah she is!! :eek: :eek: Crazy girl!

AP Panther Fan
09-25-2007, 03:42 PM
You want to know what irritates me about West Oso? I didn't notice it so much on the varsity team, but on the sub-varsity teams, they have these sparkly, sequined head bands that should be against the rules during matches. They are lucky that I was only a parent in the stands.:D

pirate4state
09-25-2007, 03:48 PM
You want to know what irritates me about West Oso? I didn't notice it so much on the varsity team, but on the sub-varsity teams, they have these sparkly, sequined head bands that should be against the rules during matches. They are lucky that I was only a parent in the stands.:D Why should they be against the rules? I think I noticed one or two girls on Varsity the last time we played them had them on.

AP Panther Fan
09-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Why should they be against the rules? I think I noticed one or two girls on Varsity the last time we played them had them on.

I think they are a distraction and somewhat blinding when the gym lights hit them the right way, but that's just my personal take on it. :)

pirate4state
09-25-2007, 03:58 PM
I think they are a distraction and somewhat blinding when the gym lights hit them the right way, but that's just my personal take on it. :) Oh okay, I thought there was a real rule out there. :doh: LOL

Who does AP play tonight?

AP Panther Fan
09-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Orange Grove

It's parent's night...I get a flower.

pirate4state
09-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Orange Grove

It's parent's night...I get a flower.

WOO HOO!! What kind of flower? OG is no match for AP

AP Panther Fan
09-25-2007, 04:07 PM
WOO HOO!! What kind of flower? OG is no match for AP

Hopefully a live one of some sort;)

pirate4state
09-25-2007, 04:23 PM
hahaha - I'll try and remember to call you after the game.

pirate4state
09-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Sinton Lady Pirates beat West Oso Lady Bears in 3 games tonight: 25-21, 25-18 & 25-19. :clap: :clap: Lady Pirates are now 4-0 in district!!! :cheerl:

I know our JV team won in 3 games, but I don't know how our freshman did. I'm sure Phil will give us a full report in the morning.

Aransas Pass Freshman lost in 3 games to Orange Grove. AP JV won in 2 games and AP Varsity beat OG in 3 games. I believe this brings AP's record to 2-2 in district.

Phil C
09-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Sinton Lady Pirates beat West Oso Lady Bears in 3 games tonight: 25-21, 25-18 & 25-19. :clap: :clap: Lady Pirates are now 4-0 in district!!! :cheerl:

I know our JV team won in 3 games, but I don't know how our freshman did. I'm sure Phil will give us a full report in the morning.

Aransas Pass Freshman lost in 3 games to Orange Grove. AP JV won in 2 games and AP Varsity beat OG in 3 games. I believe this brings AP's record to 2-2 in district.

Right you are P4S! The Sinton fresmen won in three close games.

In other District 30AAA Mathis beat Ingleside in a close 3 - 2 match with the last contest being won 15 to 13!

The District Standings are now (after 4 games0:

1. Sinton 4 - 0

2. West Oso 3 - 1

3&4. Tie Aransas Pass 2 - 2 Mathis 2 - 2

5. Ingleside 1 - 3

6. Orange Grove 0 - 4

Next week I think Aransas Pass plays Mathis and the winner of that will take third place while the loser will probably take 4th place.

West Oso plays Orange Grove while Sinton plays Ingleside.

The thing to remember is that the next Sinton vs West Oso game will be at West Oso and Sinton also has to play Aransas Pass at home the next time they meet.

Also next week as I mentioned Sinton plays at Ingleside where Riflearm now helps coach. That increases the risk.

Phil C
09-26-2007, 09:20 AM

Hey AP how is how favorite Lady Panther's ankle doing now?

AP Panther Fan
09-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Hey AP how is how favorite Lady Panther's ankle doing now?

Much better, thanks. We bought two ankle braces and she did treatments last week with the trainer. Looks like she will continue to wear them. I really didn't know that we should have started her out in them and then we wouldn't be having this problem. Oh well, live and learn....;)

pirate4state
09-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Pirates sail
Cave notches match-high 15 kills in Sinton win
By Stuart Duncan (Contact)

http://media.caller.com/ccct/content/img/photos/2007/09/26/20070926-024424-pic-495073039_t180.jpg
Todd Yates/Caller-Times Sinton Lady Pirates Coco Cave spikes the ball over the net against the West OSO Lady Bears during the 1st game of Tuesday match up at Sinton High School.

SINTON -- The lettering on the back of Sinton junior middle blocker Caitlin "CoCo" Cave's warm-up shirt stated, "The Real Deal."

No kidding.

West Oso has seen what Cave can do on the volleyball court -- she helped lead the Pirates to a sweep of the Bears in district play last year -- but Bears volleyball coach Cheryl Fillmore said it was what Cave's teammates did against them Tuesday night that surprised West Oso during their District 30-3A showdown at Sinton High School.

Cave got her match-high 15 kills, yet it was the accompanying power that her teammates displayed that threw West Oso off-balance.

The defending District 30-3A champion Pirates (23-4 overall, 4-0 in district play) used that to their advantage Tuesday in posting a 25-21, 25-18, 25-19 victory over the Bears (20-3, 3-1) to move one game ahead of West Oso in the district standings. The rematch between the teams will be Oct. 19 at West Oso High School.

"We're already anticipating playing them again," Fillmore said. "We knew about their middle hitter (Cave) -- we knew what she can do. I think their other hitters really stepped up for them tonight and that made the biggest difference for them. We have the hitters that can do that, too -- they just didn't tonight."

"I'm real happy with the way we played tonight -- we wanted to take care of business at home," Pirates coach Virginia Parsons said. "West Oso has a good team, we just pushed harder tonight and didn't let up. Everybody for us was on their game tonight."

While Cave did have another big night, senior MB/OH Kristine Cluiss, junior MB/OH Whitney Foley, junior OH/MB Sara Barrera and junior setter Kacee Castillo also combined for 13 kills for Sinton.

Foley and Cave also shared the team lead with three blocks each, while Castillo added a team-best 10 assists and senior LBO Mimi May had 30 digs and three aces.

West Oso nearly rallied from a 15-6 Game 1 deficit, as the Bears used a 15-7 run to close within 22-21.

A missed serve by the Bears stopped the run, before Cluiss followed with two service points and Foley added a key tip to help put the game away.

Game 2 was tied 4 times, before Cave delivered five straight service points and an ace to break a 7-all deadlock and give the Pirates a 12-7 lead. May, Cluiss and Alex Zapata also had key kills during that key spurt.

The Bears closed within 12-9 on a block by senior middle blocker Novella Thomas (who also had a team-high nine kills in the match) and a service point by junior LBO Julia Moreno, but a misplay by West Oso and two consecutive service points by senior S Kirsten Shedd helped the Pirates regain command.

West Oso later pulled within 21-17 on three service points by senior MB Chandace Tryon (who also led the team with seven blocks), but that's as close as the Bears would come, as the Pirates scored four of the next five points to seize Game 2.

West Oso junior S Anastasia Fillmore also had a match-high 11 assists in the match.

It was the third time the teams met this season. The Bears and Pirates -- who both reached the Region IV-3A quarterfinals this past season -- split their previous two non-district matches this season, as West Oso won at the CCISD McDonald's SpikeFest and Sinton prevailed in the Alice tournament.

district 30-3A

SINTON def. WEST OSO

25-21, 25-18, 25-19

Aces -- Sinton: Mimi May 3. Assists -- West Oso: Anastasia Fillmore 11. Sinton: Kacee Castillo 10. Blocks -- West Oso: Chandace Tryon 7. Sinton: Caitlin "CoCo" Cave 3, Whitney Foley 3. Digs -- West Oso: Thomas 4. Sinton: May 30. Kills -- West Oso: Novella Thomas 9. Sinton: Cave 15. RECORDS -- Sinton, Overall, 23-4, District, 4-0. West Oso, Overall, 20-3, District, 3-1. JV -- Sinton def. WO, 19-25, 25-19, 25-17. FR -- Sinton def. WO, 25-18, 23-25, 25-20.

Contact Stuart Duncan at 886-3796 or duncans@caller.com.

story link (http://www.caller.com/news/2007/sep/26/pirates-sail/)

pirate4state
09-26-2007, 09:49 AM
http://media.caller.com/ccct/content/img/photos/2007/09/26/20070926-024424-pic-937631330_t180.jpg
Todd Yates/Caller-Times Sinton
Lady Pirates Kirsten Shedd
sets the ball up for fellow
teammate Alex Zapata
against the West Oso
Lady Bears during the 2nd
game of Tuesday match up
at Sinton High School.

http://media.caller.com/ccct/content/img/photos/2007/09/26/20070926-024424-pic-83596473_t180.jpg
Todd Yates/Caller-Times West Oso
Lady Bears Novella Thomas
tips the balls over the net
just out of reach of
Sinton Lady Pirates
Whitney Foley and Kristine Cluiss
during the 1st game of Tuesday
match up at Sinton High School.

http://media.caller.com/ccct/content/img/photos/2007/09/26/20070926-024424-pic-935329902_t180.jpg
Todd Yates/Caller-Times West Oso
Lady Bears Sharae Robinson is
blocked by Sinton Lady Pirates
Coco Cave during the 2nd game
of Tuesday match up at Sinton High School.

http://media.caller.com/ccct/content/img/photos/2007/09/26/20070926-024424-pic-599398281_t180.jpg
Todd Yates/Caller-Times Sinton Lady Pirates
Alex Zapata gets the ball past
West Oso Lady Bears Autenae Guy
and Novella Thomas during the
2nd game of Tuesday match up at Sinton High School.

http://media.caller.com/ccct/content/img/photos/2007/09/26/20070926-024424-pic-905111844_t180.jpg
Todd Yates/Caller-Times Sinton Lady Pirates
Coco Cave hits the ball back over her
shoulder against the West Oso
Lady Bears during the 3rd game
of Tuesday match up at Sinton High School.

Phil C
09-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Hey P4S Coco played great but what was encouraging was the great play of the rest of the team. They were awesome. They did make some mistakes but overall they played very good and with improvement and correction should be even better.
And how about that Alex Zepeda! What a super freshman!

luvhoops34
09-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Much better, thanks. We bought two ankle braces and she did treatments last week with the trainer. Looks like she will continue to wear them. I really didn't know that we should have started her out in them and then we wouldn't be having this problem. Oh well, live and learn....;)

What kind did you buy? We used active ankles and

http://supports4less.com/activeankle/anklebraces/active_ankle_white_ani.gif

the Malleoloc ankle brace.

http://supports4less.com/bauerfeind/ankle-07/malleoloc-titanium_250.jpg

You HAVE to wear ankle braces in volleyball or you're asking for problems. Taping isn't enough.

AP Panther Fan
09-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Hoops....Active Ankles (expensive little things)

P4S...thanks for posting the article and what great photos by the Caller Times.

:)

Phil C....Alex Zepeda is a good all-around athlete...awesome little tennis player too!

Phil C
09-26-2007, 10:19 AM

Phil C....Alex Zepeda is a good all-around athlete...awesome little tennis player too!

And I think she was the pitcher in little league.

"Tennis Anywon!" Sir Walter Whatts of Scotland Yard.

pirate4state
09-26-2007, 11:56 AM

Anytime and to think I was actually a little peeved w/ Caller Times for not having any mention of this game in yesterday's paper. :D :o

They did good!! :clap:

Phil C
09-26-2007, 01:13 PM
My daughter says "Coco is a beast"....she means it in a good way though (I made her clarify);)

AP the pretty thing is that she is just a junior. :)

Plus she plays softball. :)