Gsquared
09-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Predictions??

Bearkat
09-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Texas by 6

IHStangFan
09-25-2007, 12:27 PM
if Texas doesn't show up for the WHOLE game....this one could slip through their fingers.

DDBooger
09-25-2007, 12:30 PM
hope chiles sees some time. as kta i believe said and emerson, he's a perfect read option qb. don't know much about kstate, whats their record?

RedWhiteBlue
09-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Texas.

Gsquared
09-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
hope chiles sees some time. as kta i believe said and emerson, he's a perfect read option qb. don't know much about kstate, whats their record?
I think Kstate is 2-1

crzyjournalist03
09-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Texas 28-17

JHS_c/o_06'
09-25-2007, 01:21 PM
revenge is a dish best served cold

Texas by 20

Gsquared
09-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
revenge is a dish best served cold

Texas by 20
I like cold deviled eggs, with that paprika stuff on top.

Phil C
09-25-2007, 01:26 PM
You have to remember that Kansas State has had several great teams in the past and once upset No. 1 Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship Game by a big margin. Also they have a good player named John Houlik who is the grandson of Jack Ging who played on great Oklahoma teams in the 50s and had a great acting career and his other grandfather was a great player at Wichita State.

That increases the risk.

Gsquared
09-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
You have to remember that Kansas State has had several great teams in the past and once upset No. 1 Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship Game by a big margin. Also they have a good player named John Houlik who is the grandson of Jack Ging who played on great Oklahoma teams in the 50s and had a great acting career and his other grandfather was a great player at Wichita State.

That increases the risk.
Yeah but you forget that Texas has already played a team in TCU who's primary color is purple like Kstate. That negates any advantage Kstate might have had.

LH Panther Mom
09-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Yeah but you forget that Texas has already played a team in TCU who's primary color is purple like Kstate. That negates any advantage Kstate might have had.
Niiiiiiice! :D

buff4life
09-25-2007, 03:50 PM
TEXAS by three td's...i'll be there and partying before and after...

JasperDog94
09-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Am I the only Texas fan that's worried about this game? (I mean other than Mr. Worry Wort....aka Phil C.)

Old Tiger
09-25-2007, 04:00 PM
What channel and time is this game?

PlayaJBiehl20
09-25-2007, 05:17 PM
IM GOING WITH TEXAS IN THIS ONE.

KTA
09-25-2007, 05:22 PM

me and you both, he's too valuable to of wasted his RS like that. I've said it once, and ill say it again Chiles will EVENTUALLY take the starting QB job from Colt. You dont have to agree with me, and thats fine. But when (and if) it happens remember where you heard it from

PlayaJBiehl20
09-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Wonder if you and Coach McCoy have a good relationship?

KTA
09-25-2007, 06:51 PM
I like the dude, and I have nothing against Colt. I think Colt is a good QB, I just dont think hes ment for that Offense.

injuredinmelee
09-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by KTA
me and you both, he's too valuable to of wasted his RS like that. I've said it once, and ill say it again Chiles will EVENTUALLY take the starting QB job from Colt. You dont have to agree with me, and thats fine. But when (and if) it happens remember where you heard it from

Maybe one he learns to read a defense and manage a game. Then when he plays his first mediocre game you will be askin for Colt back. How can people be against a QB that has led his team to what 14-2 record? One of those losses was in his second game ever against the then #1 team in the country? The grass is always greener right?

PlayaJBiehl20
09-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by PlayaJBiehl20
IM GOING WITH TEXAS IN THIS ONE.

Im takin it back, go KSU.

Emerson1
09-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
What channel and time is this game?

2:30 p.m. · ABC

We will actually get to see the first half!!

KTA
09-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Maybe one he learns to read a defense and manage a game. Then when he plays his first mediocre game you will be askin for Colt back. How can people be against a QB that has led his team to what 14-2 record? One of those losses was in his second game ever against the then #1 team in the country? The grass is always greener right?

You mean maybe WHEN he learns?

Anyways how do you know he can not read defenses? Are you out there everyday watching him practice? I'm not saying I do or don't, but you sure don't either. So how can you make that statement? You have got to give him a shot to prove if he can play or not before you can pass judgment. From what I seen the other night he can run the zone read pretty darn good (Greg Davis admitted to that). Sure it was against a wore down Rice D, but it was with the entire 2nd unit...not to freaking shabby. Yeah he has a 14-2 record, but look at the talent that has surrounded him the last two years. Lets see, since his gigantic O-line left he has shown us what? He can throw against Rice....wow. Ohio State won it all last year? Guess that doesn't make them the #1 team in the nation, at that time they were...but when it was all said and done they were not the number 1 team in the nation. The grass might not be greener on the other side, but you have to take a look at the grass to be able to tell if it is or isn't. The grass was greener when it was Vince over Chance (the same VY that "couldn't throw" and was "better off playing WR") so how do you know that the grass ISN'T greener with Chiles in there over McCoy? Like I said, I like McCoy...but I don't think he's best suited for the type of offense Texas runs. But I guess that's just my OPINION.

Like I said in my earlier post

you don't have to agree with me, and that's fine. But when (and if) it happens remember where you heard it from

Gsquared
09-25-2007, 07:49 PM
I sure as heck hope so

KTJ
09-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Am I the only Texas fan that's worried about this game? (I mean other than Mr. Worry Wort....aka Phil C.)

No.

burnet44
09-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

That increases the risk.

http://www.libraries.ou.edu/etc/westhist/Football/images/OU46.jpg

http://www.wildestwesterns.com/images/issue_5_images/jack-ging.jpg

On mannix
http://www.jmannix.net/Permanent/Ging.jpg

Aside from a few minor (and usually devious) characters, Jack Ging was "The A-Team" (1983)'s only confirmed death of a principal character. He was killed in his "Bull Fullbright" role after fighting alongside "The A-Team" (1983) to find his long-lost daughter in a mission to Vietnam.

Wife's name is Apache.

Lives in a gated community outside of Los Angeles near a country club where he regularly golfs.

Was in the Marines.

Attended the University of Oklahoma.

28OptionOn2
09-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by KTA

Like I said, I like McCoy...but I don't think he's best suited for the type of offense Texas runs. But I guess that's just my OPINION.

What kind of offense is Texas running? You really seem to have no clue when you say something to the effect that McCoy isn't a proper fit in the offense that Texas is running. They don't run the zone read when McCoy is in there. How many times has McCoy run the ball out of the shotgun formation when it wasn't a broken pass play? When Chiles came in, they did run the zone read, and Chiles ran it well. I'm not a huge Greg Davis fan, but I would at least have to give him enough credit that he would change up the offense depending if #12 or #7 is in the game.

Oh yeah, and comparing Colt McCoy to Chance Mock is almost comical......wait, it is comical.

b_smith07
09-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Texas BIG over K-State, but if texas doesnt show up early it could be a very close game. If texas handles their business on the first two drives it'll be done with, but if they go in there with big heads it'll get very interesting, especially if the k-state d can rattle colt mccoy early, it'll get to his head.

RedWhiteBlue
09-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by b_smith07
Texas BIG over K-State, but if texas doesnt show up early it could be a very close game. If texas handles their business on the first two drives it'll be done with, but if they go in there with big heads it'll get very interesting, especially if the k-state d can rattle colt mccoy early, it'll get to his head.
That last line is interesting and funny.......

Phil C
09-26-2007, 03:03 PM
We have to remember as was pointed out in another web site that Kansas State last year was only five wins from playing for the National Championship.

RedWhiteBlue
09-26-2007, 04:41 PM
And we were only about that many for playing for a State Championship- so what????

KTA
09-26-2007, 06:33 PM
What kind of offense is Texas running? You really seem to have no clue when you say something to the effect that McCoy isn't a proper fit in the offense that Texas is running. They don't run the zone read when McCoy is in there. How many times has McCoy run the ball out of the shotgun formation when it wasn't a broken pass play? When Chiles came in, they did run the zone read, and Chiles ran it well. I'm not a huge Greg Davis fan, but I would at least have to give him enough credit that he would change up the offense depending if #12 or #7 is in the game.

They dont run the zone read when McCoy is in there? Are you sure about that? Im pretty sure ive seen them run it this year on more then one occasion my friend. Also why does Texas keep on running the zone read if they do not plan on using Chiles or Harris in the near future....it would seem pretty pointless to run something you dont plan on using. So your telling me when they are in shot gun and the mobile qb is fixing to hand the ball off the defense isnt looking at him (the mobile qb) being a threat to keep the ball him self (like what vince did.....and that wasnt part of the zone read either). Southlake does the same thing with their mobile QB, you have to watch both of them because if you dont one of them will end up ripping off a big run. Yes Colt is not ment for the zone read, but he ALSO is not ment for this offense either. Colt needs to be put in a pure spread attack where he isnt expected to run. In Texas' offense the qb HAS to be a running threat for it to be successful , towards the end of last year, and the beginning of this year teams have found that out. Now if Texas based out of the I-formation, this would be a whole different conversation.

orangeblood
09-26-2007, 10:22 PM
TEXAS wins by Blow out showing last years loss was a fluke..

JHS_c/o_06'
09-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by orangeblood
TEXAS wins by Blow out showing last years loss was a fluke..

Before the game, they asked Doug Flutie what it would take for Texas to lose the game. He laughed and said,.....haha...guys..Cold McCoy would have to go down early in the first quarter and not come back. Sure enough, first drive of the game, Colt gets whatever it was that happened to him. I read somewhere that ABC had received an ungodly amount of hate email before the second quarter was over from Texas fans. Doug Flutie killed our national champion ship run that year. Phil talked about KSU being 5 wins away from playing in the national championship. Had Colt not gotten hurt. We would have won that game (we almost won it without him) and i seriously doubt that A&M would have won. Again, we almost won it despite Colt not being able to function. I remember reading somewhere in the San Antonio Express News that 9 games had to go in the Horns favor that they had no control over in order for them to play in the NC, and all 9 of them went the Horns way. So it should have been a rematch against OSU. But....I'll get off of that rant.

The first game Texas played was horrible. As was the first half of the TCU game. The second half showed signs of where Texas should be at. I don't think anyone was expecting the UCF game to go the way it did. I think that was a case of the big head and then they showed up ready to play. Rice, well, i know rice isn't very good. But neither are the teams that OU has been playing. Save Miami, who really isn't that good. OU's opponents have combined for 5 wins and 11 losses. While Texas opponents have combined for 4 wins and 8 losses (1 game postponed) So i really think that they are on a level playing field, Texas just had to work out some kinks with it's new O-line. We will have to step it up for sure. But it can be done. Upsets happen all the time. Just ask Matt Lineart and Reggie Bush.

Big Papa
09-26-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
2:30 p.m. · ABC

We will actually get to see the first half!!

you mean that michigan isn't abc's afternoon game for the 4th week in a row??

28OptionOn2
09-27-2007, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by KTA
They dont run the zone read when McCoy is in there? Are you sure about that? Im pretty sure ive seen them run it this year on more then one occasion my friend. Also why does Texas keep on running the zone read if they do not plan on using Chiles or Harris in the near future....it would seem pretty pointless to run something you dont plan on using. So your telling me when they are in shot gun and the mobile qb is fixing to hand the ball off the defense isnt looking at him (the mobile qb) being a threat to keep the ball him self (like what vince did.....and that wasnt part of the zone read either). Southlake does the same thing with their mobile QB, you have to watch both of them because if you dont one of them will end up ripping off a big run. Yes Colt is not ment for the zone read, but he ALSO is not ment for this offense either. Colt needs to be put in a pure spread attack where he isnt expected to run. In Texas' offense the qb HAS to be a running threat for it to be successful , towards the end of last year, and the beginning of this year teams have found that out. Now if Texas based out of the I-formation, this would be a whole different conversation.

The play the 'Horns are running is a zone play, but more often than not, there is no read. That is what you are failing to realize. Either the play is a counter, where the backside guard and tackle are pulling, or Colt is simply handing the ball off to Jamal Charles and the linemen are zone blocking. That's why Jamal runs east and west so much until he finds a hole to run through. If Colt was reading on the play, there are several times that he could have kept the ball because the backside defensive end was crashing down and pursuing the back. I can maybe only think of a couple of times that Colt has run the ball on a play that wasn't a scramble off of a broken pass play.

As a coach who has implemented the spread offense, I completely understand the concept of using a mobile QB and the dual-threat it causes the defense to worry about. I'm not disagreeing with you about that point. However, just because you don't have a prototypical "mobile" QB, you can still run the zone read. If you watched Texas's game vs. Central Florida, you saw how effective a QB that most people wouldn't consider to be "mobile" can be when keeping the ball. The 'Horns were so worried about stopping K. Smith that they forgot to account for the QB Israel. There were several times that the ran for 5+ yards simply because he was unaccounted for by the defense, not because Israel was such a running threat.

What I am disagreeing with you about is your opinion that Texas is still predominantly running the zone read with Colt McCoy. Texas's offense is different when McCoy is in the game as opposed to Chiles or Harris. When you have two QB's like Chiles and Harris on scholarship, of course you're going to continue to run the zone read...but only when they're in the game. Why does Colt have to be a running threat? He's back there to hand the ball to the back or pass to the talented stable of receivers Texas has. Isn't that what the spread offense is all about?

RedWhiteBlue
09-27-2007, 10:13 AM
I just want to add that Colt probably knows more about the spread than Davis or anyone else at UT. He knows it well- inside, out and since he was in diapers.....

KTA
09-27-2007, 10:34 PM
As a coach who has implemented the spread offense

Little League?

Seriously where do you coach at COACH?

The reason Jamal is having to run outside so much, is because of Greg Davis' play calling, not because hes trying to find a hole to run through.

If Colt was reading on the play, there are several times that he could have kept the ball because the backside defensive end was crashing down and pursuing the back.

EXACTLY why do you think the zone read doesnt work with him in at QB, because he is NOT a threat. Teams would rather have McCoy beat him with his feet, then to have Charles beat them....Why? Because McCoy CANT beat a team with his feet.

However, just because you don't have a prototypical "mobile" QB, you can still run the zone read.

Example: Texas ok keep on...do tell

The 'Horns were so worried about stopping K. Smith that they forgot to account for the QB Israel. There were several times that the ran for 5+ yards simply because he was unaccounted for by the defense, not because Israel was such a running threat.

So your telling me that if you have a QB is has just a lil bit of mobility and they are running the zone read the QB can break off decent runs? MAN THATS AMAZING:rolleyes: Just imagine if a team who runs this zone read that you speak of has a good rb AND a mobile QB, defenses wouldnt know who to watch for:crazy:

So lets just say we are Texas, and we have a good running back ooooo lets name him Camal Jharles, and we have a QB named oooo lets say Molt CcCoy who is not known for his running ability. If CcCoy had even a lil bit of mobility the zone read would be affective. What if Texas had a QB who was REALLY mobile, running the zone read oooo lets call him Cohn Jhiles it would seem having this player run this offense would make more since.

When you have two QB's like Chiles and Harris on scholarship, of course you're going to continue to run the zone read...but only when they're in the game.

Wow that seems to be

1. Really predictable
2. Stupid to keep practicing this if your starting qb isnt going to run this. Why practice something you never plan on using?

Or is there a bigger picture alot of yall are not looking at

Maybe, just maybe Brown and Davis dont think McCoy is the QB of the future.

Why does Colt have to be a running threat? He's back there to hand the ball to the back or pass to the talented stable of receivers Texas has. Isn't that what the spread offense is all about?

Maybe so we can run our ENTIRE playbook, why have a Qb who can only run a lil bit of the playbook....seems like if you only run some of your playbook your not going to be very affective on offense.

Oh and before you make your rebuttle make sure to tell us where you coach at COACH.