PDA

View Full Version : Caldwell Is For Real!

LiquidAlloyedSteel
10-04-2003, 12:24 AM
They changed QB's and the offense is starting to come around. The defense is AWESOME! They held Giddings to 5 first downs and 80 yards of total offense. Cobia is as good as it gets! We are so glad we did not lose him to Magnolia last year. His staff does a great job fom 7th grade to Varsity! Way to go Hornets! JJ be careful with your picks and what you say!

HornetMom
10-04-2003, 12:36 AM
Yes they are for real. It was a great game. Now on to Cameron

GO HORNETS :D

linkon
10-04-2003, 01:42 AM
can yall give me the stats from the game

BURNT ORANGE HORNET 86
10-04-2003, 09:31 AM
Caldwell takes Homecoming victory over Giddings, 14-3

By JASON LINCOLN
Special to The Eagle

CALDWELL — Bryson Tucker moved from running back to quarterback to jump-start the Caldwell offense to a 14-3 Homecoming victory over Giddings here Friday night in Class 3A non-district action.

Tiffany Strange was named Caldwell’s 2003 Homecoming queen, but Tucker’s move under center earned him honorary rights as Homecoming king. The 5-foot-7, 165-pound sophomore paid immediate results as the new quarterback by leading Caldwell to touchdowns on its first two possessions of the game.

“He’s a sophomore that is very, very intelligent,” Caldwell coach Rick Cobia said. “He’s a good student, good citizen and most of all he’s a leader, even as a sophomore.

“Our kids were excited about him being mobile. It’s really helped our offense because it makes the field bigger and opens it up for our stable of running backs.” 

Caldwell (4-1) won its fourth straight game behind stellar defense and the added dimension Tucker brings to the offense.

Giddings (4-1) suffered its first loss as Caldwell’s defense disrupted the Buffaloes’ offense, holding them to just a single field goal.

Caldwell has given up 14 points in the last four games as its defense is ranked third in the region. Giddings had just three first downs and 80 yards of offense, including a negative 25 yards on the ground.

“Our defense has done a super job all season of killing momentum for [our opponents] and swinging the momentum in our favor,” Cobia said.

On the opening possession, Tucker ran 47 yards into the end zone but an illegal procedure penalty brought the play back. The situation did not phase the recharged Caldwell offense, as Tucker completed three straight passes, the last a 9-yard touchdown pass to running back Kevin McManus. Matt Harper’s extra point gave Caldwell a 7-3 lead.

Giddings gave the ball back four plays later on a short punt. Caldwell needed only took three plays to cover 35 yards. Freddy Williams had a 22-yard run, McManus was stopped for no gain and then McManus scored on a 13-yard run for a 14-3 second-quarter lead.

Tucker finished with 65 yards rushing and 53 yards passing, completing 6 of 8 passes. He had one touchdown and one interception, which came on a Hail Mary with 6 seconds remaining in the first half.

Meanwhile, Caldwell’s defense never allowed Giddings past midfield in the first half after the Buffaloes kicked a 31-yard field goal on the opening drive. Caldwell sacked Giddings’ Keith Spacek four times.

Caldwell’s offense was primarily a ground show as backs Williams and McManus teamed up with Tucker for a triple rushing threat.

Williams put Caldwell in position to score late in the first half on a 15-yard run down to the 1, but two sacks and a false start forced a 32-yard field goal attempt, which was pushed wide left.

The second half was all defense for the Hornets as Caldwell allowed only two first downs and got to Spacek for three more sacks, pushing the total to seven.

On the first play of the fourth quarter, Caldwell defensive back Brandon Telschow intercepted a Spacek pass at midfield.

“All this stuff is behind us and now we’re going to take this momentum, our progress on offense and focus to district play,” Cobia said.

Caldwell opens up 18-3A play Friday in Cameron.

Gobbla2001
10-04-2003, 10:11 AM
Good win for the Hornets...

congrats...

tigerSville_04
10-04-2003, 10:47 AM
Hey good freakin Job Caldwell, i didnt think yall could do it, but it shows anything is possible. Nice job yall. Keep it up good things will happen. Now us smithville players gotta see what yall did to stop Giddings so that when we play them we can do tha same. Good job.

aamove
10-04-2003, 12:58 PM
Good job Caldwell, Congratulations.

CHS_05
10-04-2003, 01:40 PM
This was an AWESOME game!!!
Go Hornets!!!

GoForIt
10-04-2003, 02:19 PM
Nice win! Offense looked much better and what an effort on defense. I think this win (esp. the margin) has opened some eyes. It did mine.

<small>[ October 04, 2003, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: GoForIt ]</small>

linkon
10-04-2003, 02:52 PM
sure did open some eyes... looks like calwell is on top of the world ....gonna suck when they get knocked down....but congrats to caldwell players

Footballfan25
10-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Who have they played this year to be for real and what are the other teams records?

cHs_gUaRd_06
10-05-2003, 02:15 PM
Great Job! No one thought we would win, but look! It just felt really good 2 see some people's faces when we told them we won...expecially agianst Giddings. Great Job!

CHS_CG
10-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Our guys were soo happy we won. They knew what it would take and appiled the lessons they picked up from last year and it seems to be helping. Keep it up guys youre doing GREAT! I will be there this week in Cameron watching and supporting yall!!
GO SWARM BEAT CAMERON!

theyoefnshow
10-05-2003, 06:39 PM
overlook Cameron. It'd be great. As I said in my previous post. the REAL C-town by 8.

keep_it_real
10-05-2003, 11:49 PM
Well Caldwell i stand corrected you guys showed me something.......

cunbed10
10-06-2003, 10:00 AM
keep_it_real:
Well Caldwell i stand corrected you guys showed me something.......Well guess what? Caldwell is Marlin's Homecoming, so you guys can play spoiler, or you guys may just witness the Bulldogs hitting full stride in front of a Homecoming crowd, this Cameron game will be your first test, on the way from Rockdale I will check and see who won the game.

Tiny
10-06-2003, 11:37 AM
cunbed10:

keep_it_real:
Well Caldwell i stand corrected you guys showed me something.......Well guess what? Caldwell is Marlin's Homecoming, so you guys can play spoiler, or you guys may just witness the Bulldogs hitting full stride in front of a Homecoming crowd, this Cameron game will be your first test, on the way from Rockdale I will check and see who won the game.They need to find some leadership if they hope to win any thing!!!!

GoForIt
10-06-2003, 11:44 AM
No matter who Caldwell plays, someone is gonna say it's their "first real test." Think of a new rationale.

keep_it_real
10-06-2003, 08:11 PM
I would say Giddigns was a test. Caldwell passed it.

GoForIt
10-06-2003, 09:49 PM
Thanks, man. I mean, Liberty Hill is crushing everyone, Madisonville just beat always-tough Crockett and Hearne put up a decent fight against a fantastic McGregor team and still Caldwell seems to get very little respect. Take a look at "Jerry's HS Football Ratings" website. I think they have us somewhere between Zapata and Roma.

luiscfrmNorthwoodUniv
10-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Well, good job Caldwell against Giddings. Caldwell looks like a very good team, so hope ya can beat Cameron,...I say Caldwell by 1 TD.

Smitville vs Giddings
Giddings by 2 or 3 TD's.
GO BUFFS GO.