Bull19
09-24-2007, 01:28 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aoMmbUmKN0E

buff4life
09-24-2007, 01:37 PM
good for him...

Sweetwater Red
09-24-2007, 01:55 PM
I've already seen this. I'd like to find the article he's refering to.

Bull Butter
09-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Outstanding!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

I just became a big Mike Gundy fan

Buccaneer
09-24-2007, 04:30 PM
By Jenni Carlson
The Oklahoman
STILLWATER — Bobby Reid stood near the team charters last Friday night, using his cell phone, eating his boxed meal.

It would've been normal post-game activity but for one thing.

His mother was feeding him chicken.

Which brings us to the quarterback switch-a-roo at Oklahoma State.

Don't see the connection?

Let me explain. Cowboy coaches have gone full-speed ahead with the Zac Attack, opting to start Robinson over Reid a week ago, then sticking with him against Texas Tech today even after an embarrassing loss at Troy. Weren't we being told just last week that Reid was still the guy? All the weight with which Cowboy coaches were backing Reid has totally shifted to Robinson.

The change seems sudden.

Thing is, it may not be as abrupt as it looks. If you believe the rumors and the rumblings, Reid has been pushing coaches that way for quite some time.

Tile up the back stories told on the sly over the past few years, and you see a pattern that hasn't always been pretty.

Word is that Reid has considered transferring a couple different times, the first as early as 2005. Reid, then a redshirt freshman, was facing competition from returner Donovan Woods, and apparently, Reid considered leaving OSU just because he had to compete for the spot.

Reid's nerves have also been an issue. Earlier this year, he told our Andrea Cohen about his game-day emotions.

"I get sweaty palms. I get the butterflies in my stomach. I sweat lot,” he said then. "I've been playing this game for 15 years. And I can honestly say every game I've played in, I've been nervous. It's not so much me being scared; I just get to a point where I start worrying about a lot of things I can't control.”

A lot of guys get nervous, some even puke before games. How you handle the nerves is important, though, and Reid hasn't always managed them well. He has gotten off to some extremely slow starts, putting the Cowboys in some holes. Some, they dug out of, with Reid often wielding the biggest shovel, and some, they couldn't.

Then, there have been the injuries. No doubt some of Reid's ailments have been severe, including an injured shoulder that required surgery and forced him to redshirt. Other times, though, Reid has been nicked in games and sat it out instead of gutting it out.

Injuries are tricky, of course. You don't want a guy to put himself in harm's way if he's really hurt, and yet, football is one of those sports in which everyone plays hurt. Aches and pains, bumps and bruises are part of the gig.

Reid's injury against Florida Atlantic — whatever it was — appeared minor but just might have been the thing that pushed Cowboy coaches over the edge. Even though Mike Gundy said last week that Robinson got the nod because he had the better week of practice, insiders say that the coaches decided to bench Reid early in the week. The bottom line: The switch is less about Robinson's play and more about Reid's attitude.

"The coaches made a decision,” Reid told our Mike Baldwin after the Troy game. "I just have to go with it, get better and get back on the field.”

There's something to be said for not being a malcontent, but you can almost see Reid shrugging his shoulders as he says those words. Does he have the fire in his belly?

Or does he want to be coddled, babied, perhaps even fed chicken?

That scene in the parking lot last week had no bearing on the Cowboys changing quarterbacks, and yet, it said so much about Reid. A 21-year-old letting his mother feed him in public? Most college kids, much less college football players, would just as soon be seen running naked across campus.

And what of the scene television cameras captured earlier that evening of Reid on the sidelines laughing with assistant strength coach Trumain Carroll? The same cameras showed him throwing his cap in disgust after a missed play earlier, but to be laughing in the final minutes of an embarrassing loss is bad form.

Old Tiger
09-24-2007, 04:33 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Way to stand up for your players Gundy! Hell of a guy!

Darren
09-24-2007, 04:39 PM
A little scripted and over the top but a nice job defending his players.

pirate4state
09-24-2007, 11:50 PM
:thinking: :thinking:

I think I need to watch this again tomorrow when I'm more lucid. I'm not seeing what the big deal is right now. With what she wrote and what he is yelling about. Maybe that's part of the problem. :thinking: We've all gotten used to this type of "garbage" that nothing surprises us anymore. hmmmmmmmmm

Gobbla2001
09-24-2007, 11:57 PM
well the problem is that she chose to do a story on a player who really hasn't done anything wrong but not play as well as he maybe should have, and while doing that story came up with stupid clames as to why he may not be doing so well on the field (like his mother coming up and cooking him a home-cooked meal etc...)...

I think every coach has gotten tired of it, and it's good to see one go off the hook... I loved it :clap:

Gobbla2001
09-25-2007, 12:05 AM
and actually it's really not a "problem"... it's a journalists job to write stuff like that... it's what people want to read I guess... but it's so easy to write stuff like that and speak your mind without any response... it's easy to just hide behind your words in print... but Gundy fought back and it was a great thing to see... I think that was Gundy taking a shot at all journalists... this one just happended to receive the smack straight up front...

mustang04
09-25-2007, 12:08 AM
imglad he did this...to me that is sooo awesome...a coach risking ALOT defending one of his players....Mr.Gundy....you just won yourself another fan!!

3afan
09-25-2007, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
imglad he did this...to me that is sooo awesome...a coach risking ALOT defending one of his players....Mr.Gundy....you just won yourself another fan!!

i dont htink he risked anything - except maybe with the writer/paper he blasted but somehow i dont think he cared too much about that

UPanIN
09-25-2007, 08:11 AM
"If you believe the rumors and the rumblings"

This is how she based her story. Very un-professional.

Good for Gundy.:clap: :clap:

piratebg
09-25-2007, 08:37 AM
I've watched this video like 3 times on ESPN and had no idea what he was ranting about. Cool beans. :clap: :clap: :clap:

pirate4state
09-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
and actually it's really not a "problem"... it's a journalists job to write stuff like that... it's what people want to read I guess... but it's so easy to write stuff like that and speak your mind without any response... it's easy to just hide behind your words in print... but Gundy fought back and it was a great thing to see... I think that was Gundy taking a shot at all journalists... this one just happended to receive the smack straight up front... true, true...

was the reporter present for his "rant"? cause if she had, then THAT would be cool! :devil: :D If she wasn't there then it is still kinda cool, but she is still hiding. I had wondered if maybe it was that guy who the cameras focused on on the way out. :thinking:

Txbroadcaster
09-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
true, true...

was the reporter present for his "rant"? cause if she had, then THAT would be cool! :devil: :D If she wasn't there then it is still kinda cool, but she is still hiding. I had wondered if maybe it was that guy who the cameras focused on on the way out. :thinking:

She was there yesterday and asked him point blank what was inaccurate about the story and he would not comment.

I read the article, and I see why he was defensive, but as a coach he was defending his players, and sometimes they have to defend someone they dont really want to.

And his mom was not just feeding him home cooked food..She WAS FEEDING him..like a baby

But all this goes to exactly what Grant and I talked about yesterday..We are expecting to much form HS and college football players now..Everyone wants to laud them when they are great, and then tear them down at the first chance they get.

Ranger Mom
09-25-2007, 09:02 AM
They interviewed the reporter on Good Morning America....she really didn't have much to say!

I liked all the applause he got from the "other" sports writers when he left the building!

I didn't think what she wrote warranted the rant he went on.....but it was still fun to watch!!:D

pirate4state
09-25-2007, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
She was there yesterday and asked him point blank what was inaccurate about the story and he would not comment.

I read the article, and I see why he was defensive, but as a coach he was defending his players, and sometimes they have to defend someone they dont really want to.

As far as the story itself..I have heard those exact things about Reid from a couple of Texas players that play for OSU

And his mom was not just feeding him home cooked food..She WAS FEEDING him..like a baby

But all this goes to exactly what Grant and I talked about yesterday..We are expecting to much form HS and college football players now..Everyone wants to laud them when they are great, and then tear them down at the first chance they get.
From the way the article reads she witnessed this Reid guy getting hand feed by his mother, which by the way is just WEIRD, but okay.

Maybe that wasn't the best way to get her point across. :thinking:

As to your last comment, I think that has become second nature to us as a society. The media faciliaties it and we lap it up. It can be said about ANYONE in the public eye or not so public eye. The minute there is some scandal involved papers, magizines and tv shows are a "buzz" with round the clock coverage and most of the nation is captivated by it. Sad, but true.

Is there anything that can be done to change it? Doubtful.

Txbroadcaster
09-25-2007, 09:31 AM
From the way the article reads she witnessed this Reid guy getting hand feed by his mother, which by the way is just WEIRD, but okay.

Maybe that wasn't the best way to get her point across. :thinking:

As to your last comment, I think that has become second nature to us as a society. The media faciliaties it and we lap it up. It can be said about ANYONE in the public eye or not so public eye. The minute there is some scandal involved papers, magizines and tv shows are a "buzz" with round the clock coverage and most of the nation is captivated by it. Sad, but true.

Is there anything that can be done to change it? Doubtful.

It is not just the media reporting..it becomes the media, and the public actually LOOKING for ways to tear down people IMO. Not just reporting scandals, but going out of the way to find them

NOW..about this article..If anything she says is true..IMO Gundy should be more angry at a leak in his program

PlayaJBiehl20
09-25-2007, 09:34 AM
I think what he said was fine, no harm done, point was made, and the reporter needs to be called out, its Amateur Athletics, you don't need to question a kids character.

pirate4state
09-25-2007, 09:42 AM
NOW..about this article..If anything she says is true..IMO Gundy should be more angry at a leak in his program

Well, after reading the story again it appears all the quotes come from the young man in question to other reporters from this paper. :thinking: So, the player LIED??? Why would these reporters make something up? Isn't it part of their job to secure the correct information before printing it? :confused:

Txbroadcaster
09-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by PlayaJBiehl20
I think what he said was fine, no harm done, point was made, and the reporter needs to be called out, its Amateur Athletics, you don't need to question a kids character.

And that is the problem..If we are going to lavish praise and put these young men on pedastels when they do good, then some people feel the negative side needs to be shown when they do bad.

I personally dont know how I feel about it...I do feel if all the media shows is fluff pieces then when a kid does make a mistake that gets out into the news, it makes their fall even harder because no one saw it coming...But I also dont like target reporting where a reporter is looking for stuff that is not really there, or looking at something small and making it bigger

Now if this reporter wrote this to simply explain the REAL reason the QB change was made, then the argument can be she was simply exlpaining a football decision made for football reasons, and I cant fault that type of reporting. They asked Gundy why he was making the change, he would not explain why, so they found out why.

Txbroadcaster
09-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Why would these reporters make something up? Isn't it part of their job to secure the correct information before printing it? :confused:

Old media saying..Dont let the facts stand in the way of a good story still can apply to some reporters.

pirate4state
09-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by PlayaJBiehl20

If that's the case then every reporter needs to be called out, not just this one.

In a few years they'll be doing more than questioning his character if he goes Pro. And he isn't a "kid", he is an adult!

This does go back directly to something Txbroadcaster & G2 were talking about on their radio show. And darn it if I can't remember exactly what they said. LOL.

I need to get to work.

Txbroadcaster
09-25-2007, 09:51 AM
If that's the case then every reporter needs to be called out, not just this one.

In a few years they'll be doing more than questioning his character if he goes Pro. And he isn't a "kid", he is an adult!

This does go back directly to something Txbroadcaster & G2 were talking about on their radio show. And darn it if I can't remember exactly what they said. LOL.

I need to get to work.

Basically My stance is..You take the good with the bad and vice vera

You cant put these kids on a pedastel, treat them like heroes when they win, then drop them like a bad habit as soon as they make a mistake.

We treat the HS game like the professional level in terms of the pressure schools face in expecting to win, called choke artists when they dont, and not expect the kids to in turn grow some of the arrogant attitude the pro players seem to have.

PlayaJBiehl20
09-25-2007, 10:03 AM

I need to get to work.
HE's also not getting paid millions, he can cross the road of what will happen in the pros, when he's in the pros, until then reporters need to quit questioning the character of key words "AMATEUR ATHLETES."

Maroon87
09-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Bobby Reid was a stud at North Shore. He didn't look like he needed any coddling then...

Bull Butter
09-25-2007, 12:12 PM
What's funny is how Gundy is getting ripped by those in the media (other papers, ESPN, etc......) Naturally, they are defending the writer and her tabloid-style journalism. However, the FANS are clearly behind Gundy on this one.

Txbroadcaster
09-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
What's funny is how Gundy is getting ripped by those in the media (other papers, ESPN, etc......) Naturally, they are defending the writer and her tabloid-style journalism. However, the FANS are clearly behind Gundy on this one.

Basically the national print will always defend their own..and the Coaches will always defend their own

The fans will IMO side with the team UNLESS what is said in a column turns out to be true

AND dont let it slip by that he does this outburst right after the big win..this allows the feel good moment for the fans carry on to what he said

If the QSU QB had tanked and they lost 44-7 I dont think the fans would be so quick to back him

gtownpoke
09-25-2007, 12:45 PM
1. bobby didnt play quarterback in the texas tech game. zac robinson is starting now. she didnt write about bobbys play, she wrote about his character. thats what set coach gundy off. in his teleconference yesterday he said "if you want to write about his play on the field thats fine but dont make up stuff about his character and then say that we told you that. " he did get in the game but it was at receiver and stuff like that. bobby is a good guy and doesnt deserve these attacks on his character. good for coach.
2. of course he does it after a win. if we lose the game to tech he isnt going to go on that rant because it takes away from his point and sticking up for his player and looks like he is turning the attention away from the loss. the national media doesnt understand just how biased the daily oklahoman is. the slant towards OU is ridiculous and has been since ive been growing up.

big daddy russ
09-25-2007, 12:59 PM
As a former member of the media, I have to side with Gundy on this one. We're slipping more and more into a rebirth of the days of yellow journalism, and most of the professionals in the business seem to be encouraging this trend.

Granted, like someone said earlier, the public these days is much quicker to eat up stories like this one (many of which have been published, then been proven false, then been retracted by the paper with a small one-inch retraction note on the seventh page of the Sunday comics) and pass by most hard news stories.

Still, the fact remains that she relied on hearsay and rumors to base an entire story on. Very unprofessional and shows what the profession has come to. I'm ashamed to have been associated with the media, both TV and print, seeing this stuff.

And of course Gundy didn't comment on it when asked for a followup by Carlson. He clarified his statements earlier in the day and was probably then told to keep his mouth shut. Nothing good could've come out of him denying any of that stuff, as the reporter would've eventually cornered him with another question (think of it as leading the witness... they actually call it "leading the interview") in order to get a response they want.

Just to let everyone know, we're in what is known as the "feeding frenzy" stage of a story. It's new, it's fresh, and more information is still coming out. The next stage will be the "digging" stage. This is where reporters often use directive questions ("leading the witness") to get the soundbite they want so bad. The digging stage usually starts about two to three days after a story first hits. There's not much fresh news on that story, but it's still a big issue, so reporters will go out of their way to find angles on a story and bend it the direction they want it to go. Even if they're dead wrong.

The digging stage is where they'll get Gundy. He'll probably slip up, make a comment, and they'll find a way to make a story out of it.

Sorry Terry, I'm 100% behind Gundy on this one. The media are the ones that make athletes such a big deal. Besides that, where in this story does it say anything truly negative about him? It says that he's a momma's boy, that he thought of transferring, and that he was injured and then benched.

I fail to see anything but smut in that article. If he had killed the starting QB to take his spot, that's a story. If he sneezes and lets go of a snot rocket, that's not. If you can explain to me how this is a story... even as a column... I'm all ears. But it's not a news column. It's a gossip column.

In my mind, Miss Carlson is a smut peddler. I'm surprised the journalism community has backed her as fiercely as it has considering that that story shouldn't have made it any further than the pages of National Enquirer, Star, or the gossip section.

On second thought, no I'm not. Like I said earlier, not much surprises me with the media these days. Former Houston news anchor and current Houston Airport System Media Relations Manager Marlene McClinton described the media as a "monster that can only be fed, but never satisfied." In their never-ending search for stories, true journalists seem to have forgotten what they're there to do. And that job description doesn't include gossipping about the rich and/or famous.

Txbroadcaster
09-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
As a former member of the media, I have to side with Gundy on this one. We're slipping more and more into a rebirth of the days of yellow journalism, and most of the professionals in the business seem to be encouraging this trend.

Granted, like someone said earlier, the public these days is much quicker to eat up stories like this one (many of which have been published, then been proven false, then been retracted by the paper with a small one-inch retraction note on the seventh page of the Sunday comics) and pass by most hard news stories.

Still, the fact remains that she relied on hearsay and rumors to base an entire story on. Very unprofessional and shows what the profession has come to. I'm ashamed to have been associated with the media, both TV and print, seeing this stuff.

And of course Gundy didn't comment on it when asked for a followup by Carlson. He clarified his statements earlier in the day and was probably then told to keep his mouth shut. Nothing good could've come out of him denying any of that stuff, as the reporter would've eventually cornered him with another question (think of it as leading the witness... they actually call it "leading the interview") in order to get a response they want.

Just to let everyone know, we're in what is known as the "feeding frenzy" stage of a story. It's new, it's fresh, and more information is still coming out. The next stage will be the "digging" stage. This is where reporters often use directive questions ("leading the witness") to get the soundbite they want so bad. The digging stage usually starts about two to three days after a story first hits. There's not much fresh news on that story, but it's still a big issue, so reporters will go out of their way to find angles on a story and bend it the direction they want it to go. Even if they're dead wrong.

The digging stage is where they'll get Gundy. He'll probably slip up, make a comment, and they'll find a way to make a story out of it.

Sorry Terry, I'm 100% behind Gundy on this one. The media are the ones that make athletes such a big deal. Besides that, where in this story does it say anything truly negative about him? It says that he's a momma's boy, that he thought of transferring, and that he was injured and then benched.

I fail to see anything but smut in that article. If he had killed the starting QB to take his spot, that's a story. If he sneezes and lets go of a snot rocket, that's not. If you can explain to me how this is a story... even as a column... I'm all ears. But it's not a news column. It's a gossip column.

In my mind, Miss Carlson is a smut peddler. I'm surprised the journalism community has backed her as fiercely as it has considering that that story shouldn't have made it any further than the pages of National Enquirer, Star, or the gossip section.

On second thought, no I'm not. Like I said earlier, not much surprises me with the media these days. Former Houston news anchor and current Houston Airport System Media Relations Manager Marlene McClinton described the media as a "monster that can only be fed, but never satisfied." In their never-ending search for stories, true journalists seem to have forgotten what they're there to do. And that job description doesn't include gossipping about the rich and/or famous.

Agree with most of what you said..but the consumer/reader is as much to blame as the media...Todays reader eats this stuff up in droves..The celebrity smut peddling would not thrive if not for the audience.

BrahmaMom
09-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Gundy won another fan with his defense of his AMATEUR Player. The media hunts for this kind of garbage (to use Gundy's term). I also think it is garbage to bring him mother into it. His privacy was invaded unnecessarily. The media needs to be blasted more often. Especially when young people are attacked for, what was that all about? Nothing he did wrong. Oh, that was Gundy's point, too.

pirate4state
09-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Agree with most of what you said..but the consumer/reader is as much to blame as the media...Todays reader eats this stuff up in droves..The celebrity smut peddling would not thrive if not for the audience.

It is a vicious cycle.

big daddy russ
09-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Absolutely. You hear a verbal outcry coming from the public, but as long as it sells papers and gets hits on the internet, they won't stop publishing it.

Since the first OJ trial, the reputation of the journalism industry as a whole has taken a huge hit. They're only making it worse with stuff like this.

Txbroadcaster
09-25-2007, 01:32 PM

Whoa..dont think I am defending the writer..I am saying that the nature of the beast lends itself to what we see now..Character assassinations.. This is the type of news people crave, and this is the type of topics people create on message boards all the time.

It is wrong, and stepped over a line..but the line has been stepped over more and more by the pressure and expectations we put on HS and college sports...Look at what Chris Simms is referred to around Austin and UT fans..Sissy Chrissy..This win all attitude and if you dont win something is wrong with you enviroment used has created the attacks on character when a kid does not play well, whatever the reason be. Simms had a pretty dang doo career..but could never live up to the expectaions..But fans cant say hey maybe we expected to much..No it becomes, well its Chris's fault, he was a wuss, a daddy's boy and such

Recruiting experts set alot of kids up to fail by ranking them out of HS. The fans drool over a Freshman QB and want him to play, then when he does not come out of the gates booming, the player is tore down as overrated and no good. Kids now have to be media savy in HS

big daddy russ
09-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Whoa..dont think I am defending the writer..I am saying that the nature of the beast lends itself to what we see now..Character assassinations.. This is the type of news people crave, and this is the type of topics people create on message boards all the time.

It is wrong, and stepped over a line..but the line has been stepped over more and more by the pressure and expectations we put on HS and college sports...Look at what Chris Simms is referred to around Austin and UT fans..Sissy Chrissy..This win all attitude and if you dont win something is wrong with you enviroment used has created the attacks on character when a kid does not play well, whatever the reason be.

Recruiting experts set alot of kids up to fail by ranking them out of HS. The fans drool over a Freshman QB and want him to play, then when he does not come out of the gates booming, the player is tore down as overrated and no good. Kids now have to be media savy in HS
Sorry, it sounded like you were defending them.

And you're right. What's crazy is that the fans and media actually feed off each other. With 24-hour, constantly-updated news and sports these days, they have to find stories to cover. The worst thing that ever happened to sports journalists was when Sportscenter became an hour long.

Txbroadcaster
09-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Sorry, it sounded like you were defending them.

And you're right. What's crazy is that the fans and media actually feed off each other. With 24-hour, constantly-updated news and sports these days, they have to find stories to cover. The worst thing that ever happened to sports journalists was when Sportscenter became an hour long.

Yep your right..I have a pretty standard rules on my shows and broadcasts

1. Have fun broadcasting...simple..more enjoyable, the better the show

2. Report dont speculate..Talk about ON the field

3. Always remember it is kids I am talking about, not million dollars Pro players

4. Dont trash schools/towns

big daddy russ
09-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Peter Schrager's rebuttal to most of the media (http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7262930?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10437)

Neat little column. Check out the poll question off to the right.

necks_c/09
09-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Darren
A little scripted and over the top but a nice job defending his players. ditto, couldnt have said it better myself:D

gtownpoke
09-26-2007, 12:38 AM
it wasnt scripted. he was shooting straight from the hip

JR2004
09-26-2007, 08:46 AM
People in the media are a joke, especially sports media. This woman is no exception. Bobby Knight had it right when he said folks who do this for a living are in a profession that's a step or two above prostitution.

Txbroadcaster
09-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
People in the media are a joke, especially sports media. This woman is no exception. Bobby Knight had it right when he said folks who do this for a living are in a profession that's a step or two above prostitution.

While I agree there is scum in media..that is a gross generalization..There are coaches who are just as vile and scummy as certain media members..All job titles have people that fall under them that are less than desirable

crzyjournalist03
09-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by JR2004

wow...so let's just abolish the media and give up our freedom to the press and let the government run it all...that would work well.

Seriously, anybody who thinks that the "media are a joke" needs to take a long hard look into world history and see how truly lucky we are.

JR2004
09-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
wow...so let's just abolish the media and give up our freedom to the press and let the government run it all...that would work well.

Seriously, anybody who thinks that the "media are a joke" needs to take a long hard look into world history and see how truly lucky we are.

I'll stand by my statement as well as the one Bob Knight made. The media is a JOKE.

crzyjournalist03
09-26-2007, 02:01 PM
and how exactly would you like to receive your information?

Bulldog_12
09-26-2007, 02:04 PM
I liked to see Gundy stand up for his kid, but I think he went over the line when he personally attacked her and called her editor garbage. I like to see coaches have fire and protect their kids, but not when they attack someone else in the process.

crzyjournalist03
09-26-2007, 02:10 PM
"The freedom of the press is on of the great bulwarks of liberty, and can never be restrained but by a despotic government."

Thomas Jefferson

big daddy russ
09-26-2007, 02:12 PM
and how exactly would you like to receive your information?
crzy, I think what most people are saying is that it would be nice if the media could be policed a little better. The monster's been growing ever since the early-90's and I, for one, was wondering when public outrage would overwhelm the public's craving for gossip. (You can actually trace the reasons the monster has grown so much back to the late-60's and early-70's.)

Basically, I believe the media is getting close to that point. While I don't think we should get rid of the media and believe it's the only way to keep the government honest, where are the checks and balances within the news outlets? Mike Gundy's outrage may have been 'unprofessional' according to the FWAA, but the media itself has been unprofessional since it started camping out on the steps of the courtroom during the OJ trial.

crzyjournalist03
09-26-2007, 02:39 PM
crzy, I think what most people are saying is that it would be nice if the media could be policed a little better. The monster's been growing ever since the early-90's and I, for one, was wondering when public outrage would overwhelm the public's craving for gossip. (You can actually trace the reasons the monster has grown so much back to the late-60's and early-70's.)

Basically, I believe the media is getting close to that point. While I don't think we should get rid of the media and believe it's the only way to keep the government honest, where are the checks and balances within the news outlets? Mike Gundy's outrage may have been 'unprofessional' according to the FWAA, but the media itself has been unprofessional since it started camping out on the steps of the courtroom during the OJ trial.

and I think that there should be a clear distinction between "entertainment news" and "media". The two beasts are completely separate. (Sports falls under entertainment.) A big part of the problem is that people want to hear celebrity gossip (E! News), but they want it to have the same credibility as a hard news story that you see on CNN. To draw an audience, you have to market it as real, which brings down both facets. Real news gets a bad reputation because the entertainment and gossip "journalists" are basically bringing back the yellow journalism of the 1920s. Most people fail to recognize a distinction between the two. When there's an assassination attempt on the President, or when there's a bill in Congress that is porkbarrelling and taking away funds from a needed cause, those things NEED to be discussed and brought to the forefront.

What we need less of are "experts". I believe that the difference between columnists and journalists are so fine that the average person wouldn't know the difference. (For those who don't, one of the general rules although not set in stone is a columnist usually has their picture in the story.) Because information and speculation comes from an "expert", people take it as fact, when in reality, it's nothing more than an informed opinion.

In this particular instance, I'd actually have to do a little more research, but I'd be interested to know if the writer is a beat writer or a columnist.

To say that the "media is a joke" however, undermines a large part of our nation's history, legacy, and liberties. It's like calling photojournalists jokes when the real issue is the papparazzi. The media, being one of the biggest entities in the nation, as well as being the source for information, is clearly subject to more criticism than most walks of life, and the criticism is often well deserved. However, blanket statements or even insinuating statements like "most of the media is crap" are unfactual and uninformed.

Does the media need checks and balances? Absolutely, and it has them. That's the beauty of it all. If there were no checks and balances, you wouldn't have read or seen Gundy's press conference and his side of the story. Just like any industry, there are rogues and errors that take away from the work as a whole, but in my opinion, I believe that the media does a far better job policing itself than most institutions (governmental or private). The nature of the beast simply lends itself to the fact that EVERY time a screw-up or controversy takes place in the media, it will be public.

big daddy russ
09-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Does the media need checks and balances? Absolutely, and it has them. That's the beauty of it all. If there were no checks and balances, you wouldn't have read or seen Gundy's press conference and his side of the story. Just like any industry, there are rogues and errors that take away from the work as a whole, but in my opinion, I believe that the media does a far better job policing itself than most institutions (governmental or private). The nature of the beast simply lends itself to the fact that EVERY time a screw-up or controversy takes place in the media, it will be public.
I'm actually on the opposite side of the fence from you on this issue. From what I've seen, the media is continuing it's progress towards an offshoot of yellow journalism and no steps are being taken to prevent it. I was actually taught in school some of the practices that led to yellow journalism and they're still teaching these things to this day.

You're right to say that it becomes a problem when entertainment news meshes with hard news. But I haven't seen any form of policing. And I'm not talking about policing truth and lies, because that's the one thing that is well-policed in the media. I'm talking about policing the gossip and the unprofessionalism.

As I said earlier, the OJ trial was a sad time for the media. For the first time in three quarters of a century, reporters would camp out and stand around waiting for the story to come to them. These days, it's become even worse.

If Carlson had simply said, "Reid was benched after falling out of favor with the coach," it would have been a good read, but that article was smut. As a member of the media, I can't see it as anything different and I refuse to recognize her as anything more than part of the problem within this industry.

crzyjournalist03
09-26-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm actually on the opposite side of the fence from you on this issue. From what I've seen, the media is continuing it's progress towards an offshoot of yellow journalism and no steps are being taken to prevent it. I was actually taught in school some of the practices that led to yellow journalism and they're still teaching these things to this day.

You're right to say that it becomes a problem when entertainment news meshes with hard news. But I haven't seen any form of policing. And I'm not talking about policing truth and lies, because that's the one thing that is well-policed in the media. I'm talking about policing the gossip and the unprofessionalism.

As I said earlier, the OJ trial was a sad time for the media. For the first time in three quarters of a century, reporters would camp out and stand around waiting for the story to come to them. These days, it's become even worse.

If Carlson had simply said, "Reid was benched after falling out of favor with the coach," it would have been a good read, but that article was smut. As a member of the media, I can't see it as anything different and I refuse to recognize her as anything more than part of the problem within this industry.

well, as I mentioned earlier, I haven't really had a chance to read into everything behind what was said and how it was portrayed in this case, but I'll give you from what little I've read that it did seem like crap and was unprofessional.

Perhaps it's the group of people that I've been surrounded with in my experience in the media, but I've always been impressed by how much smut doesn't make it into the press. I'm sure you've been around situations as well where some pretty shocking things have been said in an interview by reliable sources that have had to be held back. I personally have quite a bit of incriminating information about more than a couple of big-time local athletes that has never gotten out because of the ethics surrounding the station that I worked with.

With that said though, my initial point of interest wasn't about what was or wasn't right...it was the claim that the media as a whole is a joke. I'm sure that we can both agree that the media has its problems, but at the same time, to call the entire media a joke and basically write it off as worthless is insane.

And as far as a new set of check and balances, I can only hope that the continuing expansion of information leads toward this. Internet blogs, alternative news sources, etc., have a unique opportunity right now to step in and help correct what we see as a downward trend. If people get fed up with it like they did many decades ago, it's been shown before that it can be put to rest.