PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tech defensive coordinator Lyle Setencich resigns (merged)

jlwttu
09-23-2007, 05:37 PM
http://www.lubbockonline.com/updates/update3.shtml

I hope McNeill can teach the red carpet defense how to tackle.

burnet44
09-23-2007, 05:44 PM
funny
its the usual
blame the asst.
I dont see Leech going
he is responsible for the program
lol

great timing huh
oh did this guy just this week forget D?
what if the PPU rec catches it?
what if Leech woulda scored 60 like he should have?

thrown to the wolves
fall on the sword for the team huh

lots of loyalty huh?

I know there aint any anywhere
good luck coach

Texas Tech coach Mike Leach named Ruffin McNeill interim defensive coordinator Sunday after former defensive coordinator Lyle Setencich resigned for personal reasons, according to a release sent out by the school around 4:45 p.m.

Tech athletic director Gerald Myers stated that Setencich will be assigned to other duties.

"We appreciate Lyle and the work he did for our program," Leach said. "We wish him and his family the best."

McNeill will take over the defensive coordinator role on an interim basis and coach the linebacker group. McNeill previously served as defensive tackles coach and special teams coordinator, a position that now will be split amongst the staff. Defensive ends coach Charlie Sadler will take over coaching duties on the defensive line.

Stay tuned for more details.

marvelous
now the STAFF will coach the special teams and the DT's?

JR2004
09-23-2007, 06:34 PM
They probably should've made this move after last season. Tech has some good defensive players and now I guess we get to see if it's the scheme or the players. The DC though pretty much had no choice but to leave after yesterday. That was as embarrassing a job by a Tech defense as I've ever seen and they've had some really bad ones.

burnet44
09-23-2007, 07:49 PM
what about the all mighty O?
if the Heisman hopefull catches one they win

GoStafford
09-23-2007, 08:11 PM
man, the house is burning down in lubbock

burnet44
09-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by GoStafford
man, the house is burning down in lubbock

Is that the sun setting in the west or
is it burning in Lubbock

b_smith07
09-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
funny
its the usual
blame the asst.
I dont see Leech going
he is responsible for the program
lol

great timing huh
oh did this guy just this week forget D?
what if the PPU rec catches it?
what if Leech woulda scored 60 like he should have?

thrown to the wolves
fall on the sword for the team huh

lots of loyalty huh?

I know there aint any anywhere
good luck coach

Texas Tech coach Mike Leach named Ruffin McNeill interim defensive coordinator Sunday after former defensive coordinator Lyle Setencich resigned for personal reasons, according to a release sent out by the school around 4:45 p.m.

Tech athletic director Gerald Myers stated that Setencich will be assigned to other duties.

"We appreciate Lyle and the work he did for our program," Leach said. "We wish him and his family the best."

McNeill will take over the defensive coordinator role on an interim basis and coach the linebacker group. McNeill previously served as defensive tackles coach and special teams coordinator, a position that now will be split amongst the staff. Defensive ends coach Charlie Sadler will take over coaching duties on the defensive line.

Stay tuned for more details.

marvelous
now the STAFF will coach the special teams and the DT's?

wow, burnet44 i can see you being a butt in my general direction but, geez bro, you need to quit sippin on the haterade all around.....i have yet to see a post that is not derogatory towards someone else ar another team yet. You've become very good at being an a$$hole. and I'm sure not many appreciate your "let's rain on our parade" attitude....im gonna quote meet the fockers here -"a$$$$$-hooooole"

oh might I add: All other red raiders who are tired of this hate towards TECH: GET YOUR GUNS UP BABY!!! and dont let this crap keep us from bein red raiders. screw haters. the end.

necks_c/09
09-23-2007, 09:20 PM
what he says is true, i dont agree with some of what he says but its always the truth

nuff said

burnet44
09-23-2007, 09:20 PM
ya know the guns up
is the L sign lol

really plese post some football
attack me all you want
and if you READ I said that right now IDK if texas can beat PPU
i posted it on another thread
I have no haterade on PPU
I just post facts
Try some
ask the DC at PPU hows it going?

Thread lock in progress
ie madden commercial

burnet44
09-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by necks_c/09
what he says is true, i dont agree with some of what he says but its always the truth
nuff said

thank you
and I quoted Leech
so why are these people hateradeing on me?
Get mad at Leech
he said it too

necks_c/09
09-23-2007, 09:27 PM
thank you
and I quoted Leech
Get mad at Leech
he said it too it's a "i go to that school dont talk negative on em" kinda thing.....

just like me and WC... i will defend em to the death

luvhoops34
09-23-2007, 09:29 PM
thank you
and I quoted Leech
Get mad at Leech
he said it too

You have another candidate for your ignore list.:D

Bull Butter
09-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by b_smith07
wow, burnet44 i can see you being a butt in my general direction but, geez bro, you need to quit sippin on the haterade all around.....i have yet to see a post that is not derogatory towards someone else ar another team yet. You've become very good at being an a$$hole. and I'm sure not many appreciate your "let's rain on our parade" attitude....im gonna quote meet the fockers here -"a$$$$$-hooooole"

oh might I add: All other red raiders who are tired of this hate towards TECH: GET YOUR GUNS UP BABY!!! and dont let this crap keep us from bein red raiders. screw haters. the end.

Burnet hates on everyone. He's an equal opportunity hater. You only seem to notice it when he rags on YOUR school.

b_smith07
09-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by necks_c/09
it's a "i go to that school dont talk negative on em" kinda thing.....

just like me and WC... i will defend em to the death

haha, you dont even know where I come from do you? lol

and burnet44, I like what leach says, he doesn't bs with reporters he speaks the truth. I like that in a businessman. You just used his words in a quote to back up your hating.

And here's a deal: You quit callin us PPU and I'll drop my grudge with you. Not to say i wont defend my school, but I'll drop my ambivalence. deal?

necks_c/09
09-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Burnet hates on everyone. He's an equal opportunity hater. You only seem to notice it when he rags on YOUR school. Amen

burnet44
09-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Burnet hates on everyone. He's an equal opportunity hater. You only seem to notice it when he rags on YOUR school.

thanks dawg
I dont discriminate
But I defended immigrants to this counrty
I am one and I get hollared at

http://www.hollywoodcultmovies.com/assets/images/GeorgeHamilton1.jpg

http://www.nothingtoxic.com/uploads/ringmybell.jpg

burnet44
09-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Tech DC resigns today!!!!!!

Tech defensive coordinator Setencich resigns
DON WILLIAMS | AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

- publication data -
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2007
Updated: Sunday, September 23, 2007 6:05 pm

Texas Tech defensive coordinator Lyle Setencich resigned Sunday, a day after the Red Raiders gave up four big-play touchdowns and three individual 100-yard rushers in a 49-45 loss at Oklahoma State.

Tech coach Mike Leach appointed assistant head coach Ruffin McNeill as interim defensive coordinator and will have McNeill take over the linebackers, which was Setencich’s position group. Charlie Sadler, who has coached defensive ends, was renamed defensive line coach and will take over the tackles, who had been McNeill’s.

The changes were announced in a statement that Tech released Sunday afternoon.

“We appreciate Lyle and the work he did for our program,’’ Leach said in the statement. “We wish him and his family the best.’’

Setencich did not immediately return a telephone message Sunday afternoon, and Leach did not answer his cell phone.

The statement said Setencich stepped down for personal reasons and will be reassigned by athletic director Gerald Myers to other duties within the department. It was not immediately clear whether he was forced out.

Setencich has been unpopular with fans for much of his tenure, which started in 2003 with a young defense that finished the season ranked No. 106 in the nation. The next year, they improved to 47th. This season, the Raiders have struggled again while giving a significant number of snaps on defense to 15 freshmen and sophomores.

In Saturday’s game at Stillwater, the Raiders gave up touchdowns on four consecutive series early in the game, just as they’d done two weeks before against Texas-El Paso. They also had a three-series sequence in the first half against Rice in which they gave up two touchdowns and a field goal.

The Raiders were able to simply outgun UTEP and Rice, but not their first Big 12 Conference opponent.

Though susceptible over the past year-plus to long, time-consuming scoring drives, the Raiders allowed Oklahoma State (2-2, 1-0) three touchdown drives that took less than a minute. The Cowboys scored on running plays of 46 and 48 yards, a trick-play pass for 33 yards and a short pass that turned into a 54-yard TD with 1:37 left.

The latter went to Oklahoma State tight end Brandon Pettigrew, who admitted that he didn’t expect to get more than a few yards on the play. Instead, he was able to dodge the first tackler, swipe another aside and shoot a stiff-arm at a third as he barreled toward the end zone.

The return of injured running back Dantrell Savage energized the Cowboys and their crowd, who roared when his name was blared over the public-address system after his first carry. The Cowboys got 130 yards from Savage, but also 116 from quarterback Zac Robinson and 113 from Kendall Hunter.

The Cowboys had never had three 100-yard rushers in the same game, not even during the two years that Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders overlapped as teammates.

Since 2004, Tech has had four coaches on staff with experience as college defensive coordinators: Setencich, McNeill, Sadler and safeties coach Carlos Mainord.

Now the Raiders will put their defense in someone else’s hands.

McNeill, a North Carolina native, becomes a college defensive coordinator for the third time in his career. He also had that position in 1998 at Nevada-Las Vegas and from 1993-96 at Appalachian State, where he worked under former Tech head coach Jerry Moore.

He has been one of Leach’s defensive coaches since the staff was formed in 2000.

The change comes at a time when the Raiders get a week off from Big 12 play. The team’s last non-conference game of the regular season is at 6 p.m. Saturday against Northwestern State.

Emerson1
09-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Isn't there a thread about this subject that you have already argued in?

LH Panther Mom
09-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Isn't there a thread about this subject that you have already argued in?
What do you think?

BILLYFRED0000
09-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Tech has not played defense. I just assumed they had the oc calling the plays:D