PDA

View Full Version : Parity in College Football?

Phil C
09-23-2007, 11:45 AM
In Scout's magazine Inside Texas they list the following teams (not in any specific order for greatness or other purposes) 1. Tennessee 2. Texas 3. USC 4. Nebraska 5. Oklahoma 6. Ohio State 7. Notre Dame 8. Alabama 9. Michigan. 10. Various (My addition)

Since 1936 these teams have won 41 of 64 National Championships in football. This is almost 2/3 of the available ones. Not only that even though they do have down years (such as this year's Notre Dame and MIchigan teams) these teams usually have good won-loss records and are highly ranked consistently over the years. Of special note from 1936 to 1972 before NCAA scholarship limits these teams 23 of 37 National Championships and when NCAA started limits they have won 18 of 34 which is still more than their share. I have not included No. 10 with my analysis. But the thing that must be pointed out that even with scholarship limits they still win so that indicates that they are getting the best of the players even though fewer in numbers than in the past. Upsets have been happening recently but even in days of unlimited scholarships there were always big upsets so the limitation has had little effect on things.

They didn't have a tenth place but I would have picked a tie from the following teams in view of their success in the past and some more recently - LSU, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Penn State, Virginia Tech, etc.

Sometimes other schools win that win only once in a while. Such as Clemson and BYU that won the NC in the 80s.

But overall the teams listed dominate and win more than their share of NCs even though they suffer off years and upsets once in a while.