PDA

View Full Version : Region I picks

vet93
07-06-2002, 10:42 PM
Here are my very early region I picks. Division I is in all-caps. What do you think...Don't slam me too bad!

1-3a...BORGER, Perryton, Canyon
2-3a...Muleshoe, BROWNFIELD, Littlefield
3-3a...Sweetwater, SNYDER, Lamesa
4-3a...Greenwood, PECOS, Monahans
5-3a...GRAHAM, Vernon, Childress
6-3a...WYLIE, Ballinger, Clyde
7-3a...Bridgeport, Lake Worth, SANGER
8-3A...EVERMAN, Kennedale, Glen Rose

Division I playoffs:
Round 1...Borger, Snyder, Wylie, Everman advance
Round 2...Snyder, Everman advance
Champion..Everman

Division II playoffs:
Round 1...Perryton, Sweetwater, Vernon, Bridgeport, Canyon, Lamesa, Ballinger, Kennedale advance
Round 2...Sweetwater, Bridgeport, Lamesa, Kennedale advance
Round 3...Sweetwater, Kennedale advance
Champion..Sweetwater

District champions most difficult to pick: Sweetwater over Snyder, Wylie over Ballinger

Playoff games most difficult to pick:
Sweetwater over Bridgeport, Wylie over Graham, Snyder over Borger, and Sweetwater over Kennedale

Darkhorses: Merkel, Lubbock Cooper, Iowa Park, Ft Stockton

Most surprising playoff team: Clyde!

wildstangs
07-06-2002, 11:05 PM
Looks good to me. Your Clyde prediction is surprising though. Finally someone has Sweetwater picked to do something. If you will remember, Carrillo and Daugherty met in the playoffs their sophomore years, with Sweetwater coming out on top.

VWG
07-07-2002, 11:53 PM
Pretty good, I have just a few different picks though.
I think Bridgeport is getting way too much attention. They had a good run last year, but their QB can't do it alone. All he has coming back is one good WR, and remember they came in 3rd place in district last year and 5-5 overall regular season. I wouldn't put them as district champ.
Clyde making the playoffs? No way.
I think Iowa Park will definitely make the playoffs, they have some good kids coming back and a good sized line that should avg. over 240 per man.
Graham and Wylie play in pre-season so that could be a good "forecast" for a first round matchup.

vet93
07-08-2002, 09:05 AM
I agree with you about Bridgeport being a little suspect based on their putting all of their eggs in Daugherty's basket. I just thought that the district that they were in was a little weak this year. Lake Worth appears to be down a little from last year and I am not sure that anyone else in that district can give them a run for the money. As for Clyde. I know that Graham pounded them last year and so did Wylie. However, as the year progressed, I saw them become much more competitive. They also had some pretty good looking kids in track. I think that if they could get some confidence early, that they will take the 3rd spot in a relatively weak district. They will be challenged by Comanche and Brady.

Originally posted by VWG:
Pretty good, I have just a few different picks though.
I think Bridgeport is getting way too much attention. They had a good run last year, but their QB can't do it alone. All he has coming back is one good WR, and remember they came in 3rd place in district last year and 5-5 overall regular season. I wouldn't put them as district champ.
Clyde making the playoffs? No way.
I think Iowa Park will definitely make the playoffs, they have some good kids coming back and a good sized line that should avg. over 240 per man.
Graham and Wylie play in pre-season so that could be a good "forecast" for a first round matchup.

vet93
09-29-2002, 09:30 PM
Mid-season report card. This is an old topic on picks before the season began. I feel good about my picks in district 1 still, but the order could be different. District 2 could be radically different but I still feel that Littlefield and Muleshoe will make the playoffs. I am a little shaky on Brownfield. Littlefield seems to be playing better than expected. In district 3 I still feel good about Sweetwater winning it and Snyder making the playoffs. Lamesa is a little shaky right now. If the tors don't start playing better we could see either Merkel or Seminole slip into the playoffs. In district 4 I was one of the few that picked Greenwood first and I am glad that they haven't dissapointed. The rest of the district is a free-for-all. Fort Stockton will challenge Pecos and Monahans for the other two spots. In district 5 I feel pretty good about my first two picks but I have a feeling that Childress will be defeated by Iowa Park or Breck for the #3 spot. In district 6 I will stand pat with my preseason pics, but Brady has come on real strong and will challenge Clyde for the #3 spot. In district 7 I feel good about the first two picks but I am a little shaky on the Sanger pick for #3. You Metroplex guys may need to set me straight on that one. In district 8 I feel good about my first two picks but it looks like the order will be changed for the championship if both teams win out. The #3 pick (glen rose) is a little shaky. I still think that they can be the #3 but they haven't seemed to put things together yet. What does everyone else think about region I so far? Are there any other darkhorses or teams to watch?

vet93:
Here are my very early region I picks. Division I is in all-caps. What do you think...Don't slam me too bad!

Division I playoffs:
Champion..Everman

Division II playoffs:
Round 1...Perryton, Sweetwater, Vernon, Bridgeport, Canyon, Lamesa, Ballinger, Kennedale advance
Champion..Sweetwater

District champions most difficult to pick: Sweetwater over Snyder, Wylie over Ballinger

Sweetwater over Bridgeport, Wylie over Graham, Snyder over Borger, and Sweetwater over Kennedale

Most surprising playoff team: Clyde!:D wink

tors2002
09-29-2002, 09:38 PM
vet93:

Division I playoffs:
Champion..Everman

Division II playoffs:
Champion..Sweetwater

Most surprising playoff team: Clyde!I think the playoffs teams in 3-3a could very well be Sweetwater, Lamesa, and Seminole. I also think the playoff could be decided by a coin toss with all the teams going 3-2. This new district is going to be very close. Seminole is a sleeper to watch. Snyder is overrated. Lamesa is definitely struggling but gets Monahans this week.

BullsFan
09-29-2002, 09:56 PM
People are always so quick to pull up our 5-5 record last year. Coach Henson completely changed the defensive schematic last summer, and yes, it did take us a few games to get into the groove. But don't forget that we took our 5-5 record and made it all the way to the state semi-final game. And it took Commerce, the team that won state a week later, to beat us. There are only 3 other teams that can claim that kind of postseason record.

Yes, Daugherty does have a favorite target in Krebs. But he also has several wide receivers that he *can* go to. It's pretty much the norm for us to have at least 3 receivers in the Startle-agram top 20 list each week, and not unusual for us to have 3 in the top ten. Our run game doesn't get much publicity but it's certainly steady if not spectacular. Our defense has picked up steam as the season's gone on. We've had ONE loss this year, and that was to an outstanding Gainesville team--a team that, according to AP, is one of the top ten in the state.

I'm not saying we're better than anyone else. I *am* saying don't be so quick to count us out--or to say that we're overrated.

vet93
09-29-2002, 10:09 PM
Bullsfan...I don't know if you noticed, but the original post was from July. It was a preseason forecast. I was just going back and looking at the teams that I picked after the first 4 to 5 games. If you will notice I picked Bridgeport to make the quarterfinals. That ain't too shabby. VWG made his comments because he is living in Graham and he wasn't particularly impressed with BP after they played Graham and Vernon last year.

BullsFan:
People are always so quick to pull up our 5-5 record last year. Coach Henson completely changed the defensive schematic last summer, and yes, it did take us a few games to get into the groove. But don't forget that we took our 5-5 record and made it all the way to the state semi-final game. And it took Commerce, the team that won state a week later, to beat us. There are only 3 other teams that can claim that kind of postseason record.

Yes, Daugherty does have a favorite target in Krebs. But he also has several wide receivers that he *can* go to. It's pretty much the norm for us to have at least 3 receivers in the Startle-agram top 20 list each week, and not unusual for us to have 3 in the top ten. Our run game doesn't get much publicity but it's certainly steady if not spectacular. Our defense has picked up steam as the season's gone on. We've had ONE loss this year, and that was to an outstanding Gainesville team--a team that, according to AP, is one of the top ten in the state.

I'm not saying we're better than anyone else. I *am* saying don't be so quick to count us out--or to say that we're overrated.

BullsFan
09-29-2002, 10:18 PM
Ack. You're right, vet93. My bad, mea culpa, and all the rest of that "I messed up" jazz. I guess I'm a little defensive when it comes to my Bulls. :)

fury900
09-30-2002, 10:15 AM
vet93:

5-3a...Vernon, GRAHAM, Childress

Division I playoffs:
Champion..Everman

Division II playoffs:
Round 2...Sweetwater, Vernon, Lamesa, Kennedale advance
Round 3...Vernon, Kennedale advance
Champion..Vernon

Wylie over Graham, Snyder over Borger, and Sweetwater over Kennedale

Darkhorses: Merkel, Lubbock CooperFt Stockton

Most surprising playoff team: Clyde!

Da Mules
09-30-2002, 09:33 PM
After da Mules fell to Lubbock Roosevelt last week, I have serious concerns about district. Main problems are inexperience and defense. For example: center snaps in shotgun formation, we have tossed at least 10 (lost count, don't want to count!) snaps over the head or into the feet of the QB so far this year, and every one of them seems to come at a critical point in the game. This simply shouldn't be happening after this many weeks of play. The defense has not adapted well to new style. On the other hand, the boys play with all they've got, and have never quit. QB is learning fast, and has a very good arm, receivers (overall) are the best I've seen here in years, and we have one of the best running backs on the South Plains in A.j. Flores, now that he's getting confidence back after knee surgery.

<small>[ September 30, 2002, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Da Mules ]</small>