PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel 31, Rio Hondo 7 (Final)

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-26-2003, 10:33 PM
nm

eye of the tiger
09-26-2003, 10:35 PM
Way to go Tarps. Nice win, congrats

Bandera YaYa
09-27-2003, 01:45 AM
Rio Hondo??? are they 3A?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-27-2003, 07:36 PM
Yes they are, Ya Ya.....here's the article.

Tarpons use Cats as bait

Joe Hermosa / Valley Morning Star

By MIKE GONZALEZ
mikeg@valleystar.com
956- 421-9874

RIO HONDO — The tempo was set on the opening kickoff.

Port Isabel’s Misael "Missile" Iracheta took the kick 87 yards untouched to paydirt behind good blocking to give the Tarpons a 7-0 lead over the Rio Hondo Bobcats.

"I just got the ball and everybody was blocking perfectly and I found a hole," said the speedster, who also had a fumble recovery.

The Tarps (1-0 in District 32-3A, 2-2) went on to win 31-7 behind Iracheta and a ground attack led by Josue Trejo, Johnny Nieto, and Gabe Alvarez. As a team, Port Isabel rushed for 207 yards and three touchdowns.

Its defense also came through focring four turnovers which led to 14 points. In Rio Hondo’s first drive, quarterback Robert Lopez was picked off by cornerback Joe Arevalo deep in PI territory.

That set up the first rushing score by Iracheta (four carries, 62 yards, two touchdowns), who made it look easy as it was quickly 14-0 before fans were able to settle in their seats.

Early in the second, the Bobcats made their second mistake on a mishandled snap between the quarterback and center at the PI 47. Seven plays later Nieto (16 carries, 67 yards, one TD) ran through the left side after an audible at the line of scrimmage by Trejo (16 carries, 67 yards) and hurdled to paydirt to make it 21-0.

Rio Hondo (0-1, 3-1) got things going late in the second and managed to get the ball inside the 10, but had to settle for a field goal attempt that was blocked with just seconds left in the half.

Bobcat head coach David Robledo said Port Isabel was just too much on this night.

"We let them get 21 points early and we dug ourselves a hole," he said. "They’re a good football team and they came out and kicked us in the butt."

In the third quarter, the Tarpons were ready to put the game away and even gambled on a fourth-and-short in their own territory. The Bobcat defense rose to the occasion and stopped Nieto for a 14-yard loss back to the PI 35. That set up the district’s leading rusher Jimmie Heath for an 18-yard score to put the Bobcats on the board at 21-7.

That was Heath’s longest gain of the night and the Tarpon defense held him to only 74 yards on 22 carries. The Bobcats came in averaging 260 yards a game, but on Friday managed only 102.

Tarpon head coach Monty Stumbaugh, who got a birthday gift from his team with the win, was pleased with his defense’s performance against Heath.

"The kids did a good job and he’s a good running back," Stumbaugh said. "We knew we had to stop him and we were able to contain him."

A field goal and a late score by Iracheta iced the game for the Tarpons, who will now face a tough Hidalgo Pirates team next week at Tarpon Stadium.

The Bobcats’ brutal early district schedule continues on the road next week against Raymondville, who squeaked by Lyford, 26-25 Friday.

The big key here is.....ZERO TURNOVERS!!!! (that's me typing that, btw)

footballgal
09-27-2003, 08:43 PM
Bandera YaYa:
Rio Hondo??? are they 3A?The Rio Hondo Bobcats are in our district 32AAA they were 3-0 until last night. It was PIs first district game of the season. So it's a win they needed to get, being that the district has pairity every win counts.

footballgal
09-27-2003, 08:47 PM
Great Job Misael Iracheta! "Missile" gets 3 TD's in the game, 87 punt return, and two other running TD's, and a fumble recovery. Awesome, not too bad for a player who has just entered his 4th year of organized football. His 4.3 speeds helps a little wink

TARPON DAD
09-29-2003, 10:39 AM
EVEN THOUGH I ONLY GOT TO SEE MISSILE LAST TOUCHDOWN,I WAS IMPRESSED. I GOT OUT OF WORK ABOUT 8:30 MADE RIO HONDO BY 9:30 i got to see the last 2:50mins. of the game wish i could have been there to see the hole game but i had to work
great job you guys ill try to get out work earler this coming friday ,good luck to hidalgo,
i know it will be a great game!

go big blue!!! make some noise!!!!!!

one team ! one goal! :D

silver king
09-29-2003, 07:45 PM
yo,tarpon dad that was one of the best games iv'e seen by missle.hope you can be there next week against the pirtes.one other thing,tell missle that the football gods are watching him.also tell him to keep up the work and never give up.

go big blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! eek!

TARPON DAD
09-30-2003, 10:48 AM
YES IN DEED THAT WAS ONE OF HES BEST GAMES,
3 TOUCHDOWNS,AND A FUMBLE! I CANT WAIT TO RE MAKE HES HIGHLIGHT VIDEO THIS YEAR.
I ALWAYS LET HIM KNOW JUST HOW PROUD I AM OF HIM
AND ALWAYS TELL HIM NOT TO LET IT GO TO HES HEAD LIKE OTHER PLAYERS,LIKE JIMMY H.
AMONG OTHERS.
THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT,AND YES BE PREPARED TO SEE YET ONTHER GREAT GAME THIS FRIDAY
TARPONS BY 24+! eek!

ONE TEAM! ONE GOAL!

GO BIG BLUE!!! MAKE SOME NOISE!

<small>[ September 30, 2003, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: TARPON DAD ]</small>