PDA

View Full Version : Vernon 23 Decatur 21 Final (nm)

jlwttu
09-21-2007, 10:19 PM
no message

#1Eaglefan
09-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Great game by both teams. This is the best Decatur has played all season. Vernon is MUCH stronger than Sweetwater, and our boys were there to the end, and in my HOMER opinion should have won! Another good team next week against Glen Rose. I don't think we'll have a problem in district, but I'm pretty sure Bridgeport & Argyle will have something to say about that.

VERNONLION#1
09-22-2007, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by #1Eaglefan
Great game by both teams. This is the best Decatur has played all season. Vernon is MUCH stronger than Sweetwater, and our boys were there to the end, and in my HOMER opinion should have won! Another good team next week against Glen Rose. I don't think we'll have a problem in district, but I'm pretty sure Bridgeport & Argyle will have something to say about that.

First, good game Decatur but way to close. I underestimated Decatur's Defense. The slowed our offense down. Our D played good but gave up some big passes. I dont think that the Eagles should've won though. I think we should have had 10 more points than we did. Missed field goal, and not getting pts after being deep in Decatur territory. Good hard fought game by the Lions and next up is Clyde.

thewyliefan
09-22-2007, 01:09 AM
why does decatur seem so down this year? did graduation kill them?

VERNONLION#1
09-22-2007, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by thewyliefan
why does decatur seem so down this year? did graduation kill them? They didn't appear down tonight. It was their homecoming so that may have given them alittle more fight. It was not over till the last sec. ticked off.

lion75
09-22-2007, 01:20 AM
Vernon seemed lethargic tonight.They had some trouble with the spread offense. I just didn't see the same zip that they usually have. Give Decatur credit, because they showed up ready to play,

thewyliefan
09-22-2007, 01:30 AM
well what i mean is im used to hearing about them winning by 2 or more TD's. whats their record?

VWG
09-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by thewyliefan
well what i mean is im used to hearing about them winning by 2 or more TD's. whats their record?

I think they are 1-3 with the first time since 2001 Decatur has had three losses in a season.
Will the real Decatur Eagles please stand up........

Ranger Mom
09-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Not to slam Decatur, but I thought they looked terrible against Sweetwater. I thought Vernon would blow them out of the water. I just read on another thread where someone said that one of a few teams should beat Graham, Vernon being one of them.

Granted, I haven't seen Vernon play this season, but I have seen Graham and Decatur (Graham being the first game of the year) and I thought Graham was WAY better than the Decatur team I saw!!

Dominicfrank
09-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Vernon just ran up against a team that seemed to have found itself and if a team is going to find itself it should be at home on homecoming. Decatur played the the best spread offense I have seen in a 3A team. It was like the coach watched a few Southlake tapes and they pulled it off nicely. Vernon just didnt know how to defend it, no clue. Decatur took advantage of a lot of Vernon mistakes and I would agree that Vernon was slow and sluggish all night. put all of that together and you have a game that was as close as this one was. Vernon doesnt make the at least 6 stupid errors and the score is probably 40-20, but I think Decatur deserves credit for taking advantage and playing a good game. QB has a gun. Vernon's QB is a good but under threw his recievers all night. He has to trust it a little more.
Jury is still out for me on this Vernon team. Talent is there. ONe last thing. Decatur's coaching did a great job taking UNT commit Williams to one side of the secondary which freed up most if not all of their passing lanes. Good game planning.

Mustangpride09
09-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Vernon is MUCH stronger than Sweetwater,

Thats a pretty bold thing to say.

#1Eaglefan
09-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Don't get me wrong Sweetwater has a good team. But they are not the same caliber as Vernon. This year atleast!

Mustangpride09
09-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Don't get me wrong Sweetwater has a good team. But they are not the same caliber as Vernon. This year atleast!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just don't see how you can say that after how bad decatur got beaten by sweetwater.

lion75
09-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just don't see how you can say that after how bad decatur got beaten by sweetwater. I don't think Vernon is "MUCH better" than Sweetwater, but from the results of their scrimmage against each other Vernon appears to be somewhat better than Sweetwater. But remember, Vernon always seems to gel around game 11 or 12. They were 1-3 this time last year and are now 4-0 vs. the same schedule. I would tell you that Vernon has better overall talant than last year and a LOT more speed. Who knows how this will play out, but if this team starts clicking on all cylinders, which it has not come close to doing (numerous turnovers and penalties), then watch out.

Dominicfrank
09-22-2007, 04:59 PM
who is this??? I see you are listed as living in Plano. Do we know each other.

Ranger Mom
09-22-2007, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by lion75
I don't think Vernon is "MUCH better" than Sweetwater, but from the results of their scrimmage against each other Vernon appears to be somewhat better than Sweetwater.

That may very well be! All I can go by is the Sweetwater/Decatur game I attended and that score 44-28 (Sweetwater) I believe....and then the Vernon/Decatur game 23-21.

lion75
09-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
That may very well be! All I can go by is the Sweetwater/Decatur game I attended and that score 44-28 (Sweetwater) I believe....and then the Vernon/Decatur game 23-21. I was quoting eaglefan, not you rangermom. You didn't say Vernon was much better than Sweetwater

Ranger Mom
09-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by lion75
I was quoting eaglefan, not you rangermom. You didn't say Vernon was much better than Sweetwater

Yeah..I knew you weren't quoting me, I just figured I would stick my two cents worth in too!!:p

lion75
09-22-2007, 11:22 PM
I've noticed that Vernon has two rushers (Whiteside and Daniels) with 400 yards in 4 games. We will probably see two 1000 yard rushers in the same backfield if Vernon makes the playoffs.