PDA

View Full Version : Greenwood/ Lakeview

justlikesports
09-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Last word from Ranger Mom at 10:02pm 28-28 tie with 1:29 left.

justlikesports
09-21-2007, 10:22 PM
This just in from RM:
Greenwood 35
Lakeview 28

Phantom Stang
09-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Final?

justlikesports
09-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Final

GWOOD
09-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Scored TD with :32 on the clock. Colton Wilber came back tonight and did a great job. May have been our leading rusher. He was sore after the game but he is OK and looked good.

Lake View had a good QB. There were several times he threw strikes to his receivers 20-30 yards downfield.

Defense has been our strong suit but tonight it struggled while our struggling offense came to life.

westtxfballfan
09-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
Scored TD with :32 on the clock. Colton Wilber came back tonight and did a great job. May have been our leading rusher. He was sore after the game but he is OK and looked good.

TV news is reporting he completely tore the ligament tonight, (Previously a partial tear.) That's awful luck for this kid two years in a row if true.

GWOOD
09-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by westtxfballfan
TV news is reporting he completely tore the ligament tonight, (Previously a partial tear.) That's awful luck for this kid two years in a row if true.

He went back in the 2nd half and played the whole second half. I know it was hurting him after the game but there is no way anybody knows that for sure. I don't know why he (TV guy) said that.

Ranger Mom
09-21-2007, 11:40 PM
He went back in the 2nd half and played the whole second half. I know it was hurting him after the game but there is no way anybody knows that for sure. I don't know why he (TV guy) said that.

That was news to me too!!! The clip they showed of him tearing off his shoulder pads was before the half!!

If he did tear it all the way, he is one tough hombre to come back and play the second half like he did!!

GWOOD
09-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by westtxfballfan

According to Wilber, he did completely tear it. However, it is the MCL rather than the ACL. If it is torn, it is pretty unbelievable how well he ran and passed the ball in the 2nd half.

September 22, 2007: Wilber overcomes injury, leads Rangers to victory
Mitch Worthington
Midland Reporter-Telegram

GREENWOOD -- Colton Wilber was determined to finish what he started, and he did.

Wilber rushed for 128 yards and a touchdown, passed for 96 more and directed a game-winning touchdown drive that ended with Willie Dains' six-yard touchdown run with 32 seconds remaining as the Greenwood Rangers topped the San Angelo Lake View Chiefs 35-28 on Friday night at J.M. King Memorial Stadium in Greenwood.

Wilber also finished something else Friday night. He started the game with a partially torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, and sometime during the first half, he said he completely tore the ligament.

Still, it was Wilber's first varsity game since the 2005 playoffs, and he wasn't about to let anything stop him from feeling euphoric.

"I was so excited for this," Wilber said. "I woke up every hour last night, just ready to go play. It was just great to be out here. This is one of the best feelings. It's Friday night football. This was my first game in a while, and I'm glad it was a good one."

Lake View scored with 1:29 remaining in the fourth quarter to tie the score at 28-28. Greenwood took over at its own 22-yard line with 1:24 remaining, and what happened next was something that doesn't happen to players with torn knee ligaments.

Wilber completed three consecutive first-down passes to Brandon Herring for 13, 11 and 20 yards. He then ripped off runs of 17, nine and three yards to get to the Lake View five yard line. He spiked the ball to stop the clock, and Dains scored from the six to give Greenwood the win.

"There's a lot of heart there," Greenwood coach Steve Taylor said.

Wilber played for most of the first half, but sat out late in the second quarter after injuring his knee. Backup Noe Rodriguez, who has been the Rangers quarterback to this point, threw a 29-yard touchdown pass to Blake McColloch in limited time.

Wilber managed to keep the Chiefs' defense off guard all night, randomly beating the Chiefs' front seven with his feet or hooking up with Herring, who caught all six of Wilber's completions.

"He's a good player, and we had a hard time tackling him," said Lake View coach Tim Reid, who wasn't aware that Wilber played the second half with no ACL. "He's a big, strong, fast kid."

Dains got the game started with a big play, returning the opening kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown. The Rangers scored in the first 20 seconds of the second half as well, when Lake View muffed the kickoff and Josh Lopez recovered it. Junior Kinsey Williams ran for a 36-yard touchdown on the following play.

"We started both halves off about as good as you can start them," Taylor said. "But you have to give Lake View a lot of credit. They came back each time, and they played with a lot of heart too. This was a great football game."

Greenwood 28, San Angelo Lake View 21

Lake View 0 7 7 14 --28
Greenwood 7 7 7 14 --35

First Quarter

G -- Willie Dains 98 kick return (Aubrey Sewell kick), 11:42

Second Quarter

LV -- Tavonte Williams 3 run (Francisco Mendoza kick), 4:57
G -- Blake McColloch 29 pass from Noe Rodriguez (Sewell kick), 1:42

Third Quarter

G -- Kinsey Williams 36 run (Sewell kick), 11:45

LV -- John David Baker 5 run (Mendoza kick), 3:35

Fourth Quarter

LV -- John David Baker 4 run (Mendoza kick), 9:25

G -- Colton Wilber 8 run (Sewell kick), 4:37

LV -- Baker 2 run (Mendoza kick), 1:29

G -- Dains 6 run (Sewell kick), 0:32

LVHS GHS
First Downs 20 22
Rushes-yards 33-183 44-285
Passing yards 147 125
Comp-Att-Int 14-27-1 7-14-0
Punts-Avg. 2-27 1-31
Fumbles-lost 1-0 2-1
Penalties-yards 7-40 9-70

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING: Lake View -- Tavonte Williams 16-83, John David Baker 15-71, Garrett Gunter 1-21, Rodney Akers 1-8. Greenwood -- Colton Wilber 15-128, Willie Dains 10-53, Bryce Williams 3-7, Kinsey Williams 12-71, Blake McColloch 1-2, Noe Rodriguez 3-24.

PASSING: Lake View -- John David Baker 14-26-1-147, Ethan Reid 0-1-0-0. Greenwood -- Colton Wilber 6-11-0-96, Noe Rodriguez 1-3-0-29.

RECEIVING: Lake View -- Paul Mesta 1-10, Michael Williams 3-45, Tavonte Williams 1-(-8), Chase Welch 7-69, Akers 1-3, Jace Stovall 1-28. Greenwood -- Brandon Herring 6-96, McColloch 1-29.

INTERCEPTIONS: Greenwood -- Brandon Herring 1-0.

Ranger Mom
09-22-2007, 09:14 AM
According to Wilber, he did completely tear it. However, it is the MCL rather than the ACL. If it is torn, it is pretty unbelievable how well he ran and passed the ball in the 2nd half.

My heart breaks for him! I knew there had to be something to the news story after talking to my niece. I am still in awe looking back to just how well he DID play in the second half!!

So what's up now?? More rehab? Is he going to try and come back again...maybe around district?? Inquiring minds want to know!:p

GWOOD
09-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

So what's up now?? More rehab? Is he going to try and come back again...maybe around district?? Inquiring minds want to know!:p

I think check with the doctor and go from there. I know he wants to play real bad. Tough situation for a kid who loves football so much.