PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater/Canyon- Game Preview Article

Phantom Stang
09-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Mustangs try to build on big win in Sammy Baugh Classic
Written by Jay Langley
Even though the Sweetwater Mustangs picked up their first win of the season last weekend at the Sammy Baugh Classic with an impressive 44-28 win over Decatur, Mustangs head coach Kent Jackson knows the team still has a lot of work to do.
“There’s a lot of things that we messed up on Saturday,” Jackson said. “A lot of things worked Saturday in spite of what we did and not because of what we did. We need to get to the point where it’s consistantly happening because of what we do.”
For the first time in the 2007 season the Mustangs (1-2) won the turnover battle in the win over Decatur. Sweetwater forced five turnovers including two on Decatur’s first two possessions.
“I think sometimes we try to complicate things,” Jackson said. “But in this game it’s really simple. If you block, tackle and don’t give them the ball, you will probably win no matter who you play. I think for the most part we did a good job of that Saturday.”
Running back Auston Davis led the Mustangs’ offensive charge with 103 yards on seven carries.
Quarterback Zach Birdwell only passed for 87 yards but he finished with three touchdown passes.
“You look at our passing numbers and they’re not all that impressive as far as yards,” Jackson said. “But the passing yards that we do get are very important because they open it up and really allow us to do what we want to offensively as far as running the ball.”
One of Sweetwater’s biggest improvements in Saturday’s win was on defense. The Mustangs allowed 216 yards through the air but most of those yards came once the Mustangs had built a sizable lead and Decatur went to strickly a passing game.
“I thought our secondary put themselves in position to make some big plays,” Jackson said. “They were very big for us and they’ll get tested again this week with Canyon.”
When Canyon comes to Mustang Bowl Friday night the Sweetwater secondary will have to step up against an experienced and skilled group of receivers including Shawn Shephard, Weston Dean, Mitch McCarty and Chris Rhoten.
Eagles quarterback Spencer Church is in his first year of varsity play but he has been impressive early on in the 2007 season leading Canyon to a 3-0 record.
“He makes very good decisions,” Jackson said of Church. “The receivers are very disciplined with their routes. They do a very good job of finding the holes and finding the areas to get open. And when it comes down to tight coverage, that kid does a good job of making good throws and putting the football where they can catch it.”
In a 46-13 win over Seminole last Saturday, Church passed for 348 yards on 16 of 27 and three touchdowns. Two of his touchdown passes found the hands of Rhoten.
To offset Canyon’s air attack the Mustangs will try to establish a strong running game and use a lot of the clock.
“With a core of receivers like that the more snaps they take the greater the odds of something happening in their favor,” Jackson said. “So we would love to keep the ball and control the clock.”
Since last weekend’s win, Jackson said he has seen a big difference in the team during practice.
“I think mentally it’s easier to go to work after a win because you feel better,” he said. “It’s been good this week. The bumps and bruises and soreness have a tendancy to heal a little quicker after a win.”
But following a win Jackson said he expects to learn as much about his team as he did following the first two losses of the season.
“We’ve done a good job of handling adversity,” he said. “But I think you find out as much about yourself when you have a little bit of success. I’m anxious to see what we’ve done with it and how our kids will handle it Friday night.”
Kickoff between Sweetwater and Canyon is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. at Mustang Bowl.

www.sweetwaterreporter.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19521&Itemid=122

jmcgee
09-21-2007, 06:02 PM
is this going to air over the net?