PDA

View Full Version : Giddings Cheerleaders

Milk That Cow
09-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Anybody know why they only cheer in front of the reserved seat section...

Just curious...

buff4life
09-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow
Anybody know why they only cheer in front of the reserved seat section...

Just curious...

no but i'll ask...i'll ask...they usually go down in front of the student section for a while...

KTA
09-21-2007, 02:02 AM
seems like Grahams do the exact same thing

88bobcats
09-21-2007, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by buff4life
no but i'll ask...i'll ask...they usually go down in front of the student section for a while...

The whole student section, or just part of it?

As best as I can tell, cheerleading squads don't actually lead the crowd in cheers (at least not in my area). They've become "entertainment", mostly for their own parents and for the older generation. It seems to me that most of the fans I see today are already motivated and knowledgeable. I hope that there are other areas of the state where fans actually join with the cheerleaders in a unified, high-volume support of the teams. In my area, the majority of the cheerleading squads don't appear to understand football, they don't know when and when not to yell, and generally don't move around much for their own convenience. They're not at the games to lead the crowd in supporting the team.....they're at the game to be seen as "cheerleaders".

I don't mean to sound chagrin, but cheerleading isn't what is used to be. I'd guess the Giddings cheearleader squad is like many in my area.....moving around in front of the fan sections would require effort; and they're not at the game to make efforts, they're there to be seen.

LH Panther Mom
09-21-2007, 06:07 AM
Does anyone actually have a "pep squad" any more? Our cheerleaders try, but sometimes the only choice they have is to go along with the crowd cheers. I think if there were pep squads to do the cheers with them, their role would change quite a bit.

When I was in high school, the band sat on one end and the pep squad sat in the section by them. Cheerleaders were in front of them and they were leading cheers.

3afan
09-21-2007, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by 88bobcats
...cheerleading squads don't actually lead the crowd in cheers ... They've become "entertainment", mostly for their own parents and for the older generation. .......and they're not at the game to make efforts, they're there to be seen.

EXACTLY !!!!! couldnt have said it better!

buff4life
09-21-2007, 12:52 PM
The whole student section, or just part of it?

As best as I can tell, cheerleading squads don't actually lead the crowd in cheers (at least not in my area). They've become "entertainment", mostly for their own parents and for the older generation. It seems to me that most of the fans I see today are already motivated and knowledgeable. I hope that there are other areas of the state where fans actually join with the cheerleaders in a unified, high-volume support of the teams. In my area, the majority of the cheerleading squads don't appear to understand football, they don't know when and when not to yell, and generally don't move around much for their own convenience. They're not at the games to lead the crowd in supporting the team.....they're at the game to be seen as "cheerleaders".

I don't mean to sound chagrin, but cheerleading isn't what is used to be. I'd guess the Giddings cheearleader squad is like many in my area.....moving around in front of the fan sections would require effort; and they're not at the game to make efforts, they're there to be seen.

couldn't agree more...the cheerleaders do make efforts more than some i have noticed...but the cheers really don't grab people, only cheer they ever get help on is "D ##" (defense)

AP Panther Fan
09-21-2007, 01:20 PM
.....moving around in front of the fan sections would require effort; and they're not at the game to make efforts, they're there to be seen.

I couldn't disagree with you more and yes, I am the mom of a cheerleader. These girls work very hard and what most people see during gametime is only a small portion of the things they do to promote school spirit. They spend hours practicing and a lot of their own time and money decorating halls, the gym, football lockers and even serving the players watermelon on a hot Saturday after a scrimmage (and these are just during football season, cheerleading is year-round)

Not all squads are equal obviously, but I wouldn't discount any of their efforts. jmho :)

lion75
09-21-2007, 01:51 PM
The cheerleaders in Vernon move from section to section and actually try to keep the crowd in the game.

LH Panther Mom
09-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I couldn't disagree with you more and yes, I am the mom of a cheerleader. These girls work very hard and what most people see during gametime is only a small portion of the things they do to promote school spirit. They spend hours practicing and a lot of their own time and money decorating halls, the gym, football lockers and even serving the players watermelon on a hot Saturday after a scrimmage (and these are just during football season, cheerleading is year-round)

Not all squads are equal obviously, but I wouldn't discount any of their efforts. jmho :) Very true!

lhpantherdad
09-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

Not all squads are equal obviously, but I wouldn't discount any of their efforts. jmho :)

I agree! The cheerleaders do a lot besides "being seen" at football games. But I also agree that when you have a loud crowd as we do in Liberty Hill, the girls are more like "cheer followers" because they get drowned out by the fans. :)

3afan
09-21-2007, 05:54 PM
girls "change" when they become cheerleaders ...

gobbler grad
09-21-2007, 07:57 PM
we have so many, they're from endzone to endzone...:thinking:

AP Panther Fan
09-22-2007, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by lhpantherdad
I agree! The cheerleaders do a lot besides "being seen" at football games. But I also agree that when you have a loud crowd as we do in Liberty Hill, the girls are more like "cheer followers" because they get drowned out by the fans. :)

Hey LHPD! :wave:

I wish we had that problem....:D