PDA

View Full Version : Victoria Question

tex_male
09-20-2007, 07:24 PM
I have been working in the area the past few weeks. I hear Victoria I.S.D. is going to build 2 new high schools and change the 2 old high schools back to each one being 9th thru 12th. My question is: Is this going to make 4 new 3A schools or 4 new 4A schools? Anyone have a guess?

Blastoderm55
09-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Two new 4A schools most likely. What is now Victoria Memorial will be bulldozed to make way for new facilities.

tex_male
09-20-2007, 07:29 PM
I was told that they were going to keep the other 2 high schools. Since the 2 new ones are going to be build north of town and the other 2 are on the south end.

luvhoops34
09-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Is that screwed up or what? Maybe they can win with a several 4A schools. They sure can't do squat with one 5A school.

tex_male
09-20-2007, 07:32 PM
I remember back in 1999 thru 2001 while i was living there that they consolidated the 2 because there was not away to redraw the boundery line.

tex_male
09-20-2007, 07:37 PM
If they close both the south schools then they are going to run into the same problem as before.

crabman
09-20-2007, 08:20 PM
None of the above. Two new 5A high schools. Current enrollment of 4300 will be split among the two new high schools. Some of the kids will go to the old Stroman High school which will serve as a magnet high school. Victoria Highs old classroom facilities will be bulldozed. The Victoria High Campus will become the special events center with an auditorium, a new natatorium, football stadium, track facility, and gymnasium.

Both new high schools will be over 2000 after losing some to the magnet high school, which will keep them 5A. Boundary lines have not yet been drawn. That is what got them in trouble last time. Sites have been picked and purchased. One on the Cuero highway at Loop 463 and the other on Loop 463 at Mockingbird Lane.

luvhoops34
09-20-2007, 08:22 PM
thank u crabman!

tex_male
09-20-2007, 08:42 PM
My take on it and a few other guys here that I have talked to, say if and when they do close the Sr. high campus both the 2 new high school will be on the North side of town. East and West. So they may very well have to keep Stroman High School as a regular high school for the south side. Now the same problem as before comes up. Not many white kids on the south side.

tex_male
09-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Anyways I was just thinking if they keeped all 4 high school would they have 4a numbers or 3a.

luvhoops34
09-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by crabman
None of the above. Two new 5A high schools. Current enrollment of 4300 will be split among the two new high schools. Some of the kids will go to the old Stroman High school which will serve as a magnet high school. Victoria Highs old classroom facilities will be bulldozed. The Victoria High Campus will become the special events center with an auditorium, a new natatorium, football stadium, track facility, and gymnasium.

Both new high schools will be over 2000 after losing some to the magnet high school, which will keep them 5A. Boundary lines have not yet been drawn. That is what got them in trouble last time. Sites have been picked and purchased. One on the Cuero highway at Loop 463 and the other on Loop 463 at Mockingbird Lane.

That's only 4 miles apart....:confused:

crabman
09-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Yes, the two high schools will only be 4 miles apart. The dividing line will be East and West, probably along Navarro Drive or something like that. That line divides the white kids equally and the blacks equally which should satisfy everyone.

Stroman will definitely not remain a full fledged high school for the South side. Everyone will get a brand new high school. Both high schools are actually using identical floor plans so they are truly equal. I am a general contractor so I have followed the bond program very close. I have current jobs with both Houston architects that have divided up the work on the bond program.

KingRob
09-21-2007, 05:03 AM
I could've sworn I saw the boundry map in the Victoria Advocate. It runs north to south around Navarro, but not a straight shot down the road. Both Victoria and Stroman high schools will no longer be high schools. Now they are saying the high school on the Cuero highway will be a jr high/high school combination.

I think they ought to make it 3 high schools and make each school a 4A or even one a 3A. It would save travel time, because the only other 5A schools are in Corpus, San Tone, or Houston. If they went 4A they could play Bay City, Calhoun, El Campo, Beeville, and so on. Who knows, if they went 4A they might actually have a chance at winning a district title!
Big problems down in Victoria right now.

STROMAN HIGH CLASS OF '81!!!

luvhoops34
09-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Are they going to re-name the new high schools? Or will one still be Victoria Memorial?

Maroon87
09-21-2007, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
That's only 4 miles apart....:confused:

That's nothing...Alief Elsik and Alief Hastings are located on the same block, maybe 500 yds. apart.

luvhoops34
09-21-2007, 08:22 AM
I know Victoria has had their problems since they combined the two high schools. There were people in the community that didn't want two high schools because they thought it would split the town. But, one big schools sure didn't work out too good for them either. Maybe with two smaller 5A schools they will have better luck with their football program.

luvhoops34
09-21-2007, 08:30 AM
This sure isn't a good thing for Victoria Memorial.....don't they check these people out before they hire them??

Sept. 20, 2007, 11:44PM

Texas principal fired for not disclosing prison stint

VICTORIA — The Victoria School Board voted Thursday night to begin the process of firing a high school principal because he failed to disclose that he served time in federal prison.

Michael Maples, principal of Memorial High, is accused of lying on his employment application by answering that he had not been convicted of a crime.

He was suspended without pay and the board gave notice of its intent to fire him.

Maples had been suspended with pay since Sept. 7, when the district learned of embezzlement allegations against him by the Oklahoma City school district.

The FBI is investigating claims that Maples embezzled $32,000 from that district, the Victoria Advocate reported in a story for its Friday editions.

A Victoria phone listing for Maples could not be immediately located Thursday night. The Advocate reported that his local cell phone number had been disconnected.

Associated Press calls made to telephone listings for Maples' Oklahoma City attorney, Mike Gassaway, went unanswered Thursday night.

Maples, who was a first lieutenant in the Army, was convicted of conduct unbecoming an officer.

He was found guilty of attempting to steal merchandise and/or insurance proceeds worth almost $22,000, willfully and unlawfully altering a public record between, and wrongfully wearing unauthorized decorations, badges and awards, according to a general court martial order obtained by the Advocate. The infractions took place in 1989 or 1990.

Janet Wray, public information officer at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas, said Maples was incarcerated in the disciplinary barracks from December 1990 to December 1991. He was dismissed from the Army in February 1992.

Clay Cain, attorney for the Victoria school district, said the district conducts background checks on every job candidate through the Texas Department of Public Safety.

"I can't imagine a more reliable source than the Texas DPS," Cain said. "Apparently those convictions don't always make it into that system."

Maples was also certified to teach in Texas by the State Board of Educator Certification, which also conducts a background check, officials said.

Maples has 15 days to request a hearing on his termination.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5153451.html

Old Green
09-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Are they going to re-name the new high schools? Or will one still be Victoria Memorial? Heard the the one on loop 463 and 87 will be named George W. Bush and the other at Mockingbird William J. Clinton.:D

That's a joke that going around.:D

44INAROW
09-21-2007, 08:55 AM
This sure isn't a good thing for Victoria Memorial.....don't they check these people out before they hire them??

Clay Cain, attorney for the Victoria school district, said the district conducts background checks on every job candidate through the Texas Department of Public Safety.

"I can't imagine a more reliable source than the Texas DPS," Cain said. "Apparently those convictions don't always make it into that system."

Maples was also certified to teach in Texas by the State Board of Educator Certification, which also conducts a background check, officials said.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5153451.html

that was my 1st thought Luvhoops - but according to the VISD attorney - they ran the background/criminal check.(Passing the buck in my opinion but who am I) I am wondering if since the arrest and conviction was military - maybe that doesn't "show up" under a DPS check - heck I don't know - - I know a lady that has been denied the opportunity to VOLUNTEER to read to 1st graders in Cuero at the school because she wrote a hot check 10 years ago for $12 and had to go to court (she was fingerprinted so an arrest shows up - even though she didn't spend 1 minute behind bars) - that showed up on a DPS background check - you'd think a 12 month incarceration would too - Seems like this guy has been pulling shady deals for years. It also has been mentioned that Maples used to work in the same district as the current Supt (Moore) (I know I read that somewhere but I don't recall where right now) and that Moore made the motion to hire Maples during the hiring process - makes you wonder if he (Maples) was just "pushed through" Just adds to the volume of problems they have in Victoria.

KingRob
09-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Both Bob Moore (Supt), and Dr. Maples came from Oklahoma. Dr. Maples was already being investigated for embezzlement (some were federal funds, so the FBI is now involved), so the last couple of weeks he has been on paid suspension. With the prison record now known (he lied about ever being jailed), he was fired by the school board last night. Bob Moore was not in attendance. They have some major problems in Victoria right now. I always new the town was just not right, but this is ridiculous!!

By the way Dr. Maples served time at Leavenworth due to fraud (stealing money and wearing medals he wasn't authorized to wear). He is under investigation for stealing $$ from the school system in Oklahoma. Sounds like a real winner!! Needless to say, this is the talk of the town down in Victoria!

KingRob
09-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Old Green
Heard the the one on loop 463 and 87 will be named George W. Bush and the other at Mockingbird William J. Clinton.:D

That's a joke that going around.:D

Yes, it would be the Fighting Liars versus the Fighting Liars!!:D ;)

Maroon87
09-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by KingRob
Yes, it would be the Fighting Liars versus the Fighting Liars!!:D ;)

Or the Nuculur Warheads vs. the Blue Gap Dresses.

luvhoops34
09-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by KingRob
Both Bob Moore (Supt), and Dr. Maples came from Oklahoma. Dr. Maples was already being investigated for embezzlement (some were federal funds, so the FBI is now involved), so the last couple of weeks he has been on paid suspension. With the prison record now known (he lied about ever being jailed), he was fired by the school board last night. Bob Moore was not in attendance. They have some major problems in Victoria right now. I always new the town was just not right, but this is ridiculous!!

By the way Dr. Maples served time at Leavenworth due to fraud (stealing money and wearing medals he wasn't authorized to wear). He is under investigation for stealing $$ from the school system in Oklahoma. Sounds like a real winner!! Needless to say, this is the talk of the town down in Victoria!

It wouldn't matter if his time in Leavenworth didn't show up on a criminal check. What about his resume?? How did he account for the time spent in Leavenworth? He had to have lied about a job and somebody either covered for him or the school district just didn't check.:(

burnet44
09-21-2007, 10:16 AM
never wonder why Victoria dont win

Antec
09-21-2007, 05:13 PM
I think the problem starts at junior high level.

Not a lot of continuity

Still Memorial should be competitive and make the playoffs

Doubt if building two schools will help

They have never had any talented and speedy skilled-position players

Takes more than numbers and size sometimes