PDA

View Full Version : Houston, we have a new GM

Maroon87
09-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Astros press conference on FSN Southwest at 3pm. Word is it's either Ed Wade or Ruben Amaro Jr, both from the Phillies organization.

SWMustang
09-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Wasn't there a lady in the mix? Her resume was quite impressive.

Maroon87
09-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Wasn't there a lady in the mix? Her resume was quite impressive.

Yeah...Kim Ng (pronounced Eng)...she had been assitant GM with the Dodgers I think.

Maroon87
09-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Ex-Phillies GM Wade is Houston's new GM pick
By Jayson Stark
ESPN.com

Former Philadelphia Phillies general manager Ed Wade is the new general manager in Houston, sources said Thursday.

Wade was in Houston on Thursday. Indications earlier in the day were that while club president Tal Smith apparently had recommended Wade, owner Drayton McLane hadn't made up his mind yet.

By Thursday afternoon, his mind was made up.

According to one baseball man who had been in touch with members of the Astros' organization, Wade was asked Wednesday to fly back to Houston for a second session because McLane needed to determine whether he could develop "a comfort level" with Wade.

Smith, on the other hand, has worked with Wade as far back as the late 1970s, when Wade served as the Astros' public relations director and Smith was the general manager. The two also worked together in the mid-'80s after Smith formed Tal Smith Enterprises, a consulting company which represented numerous teams in contract negotiations and arbitration hearings.

McLane has been widely rumored to have favored Wade's one-time assistant GM in Philadelphia, Ruben Amaro Jr. And indications are that Amaro is the lone other candidate still under consideration. But Wade's experience -- having served as a general manager for eight seasons with the Phillies -- apparently pushed him to the top of the list of 11 candidates interviews over the last two weeks.

Wade, 51, served as GM in Philadelphia from 1998 through the 2005 season. He had spent the previous eight years as assistant GM. After being elevated to the GM job, Wade prioritized the rebuilding of the Phillies' depleted farm system. And virtually the entire nucleus of the Phillies' current team was signed and developed during his tenure.

Wade was fired following the 2005 season after the Phillies failed to reach the playoffs in all eight seasons of his administration. He has spent the last two seasons working as a scout and special assistant to Padres GM Kevin Towers.

SWMustang
09-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Mcclane needs to stick to being an owner and quit running off good GM's.

Maroon87
09-20-2007, 01:41 PM
According to one baseball man who had been in touch with members of the Astros' organization, Wade was asked Wednesday to fly back to Houston for a second session because McLane needed to determine whether he could develop "a comfort level" with Wade.

Translated: Drayton wanted to make sure he was getting a "yes" man.

I hope not, but I don't like how that sounds...:eek:

SWMustang
09-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87

That's exactly what I thought. What the heck does it matter if he's "comfortable" with him? Can he build an organization and produce a winner? Is McClain's ego so big that the new GM has to be his little lap dog?

Old Tiger
09-20-2007, 02:19 PM
They need to keep talent in Houston instead of letting really good players go.

Maroon87
09-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
They need to keep talent in Houston instead of letting really good players go.

Well, in Philly Wade was responsible for bringing in Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley, Cole Hamels, and Ryan Howard. As long as the scouting holds up and Drayton spends money wisely (big if) the Astros could get back on track pretty soon.

I hope.

GWOOD
09-20-2007, 03:41 PM
Astros press conference on FSN Southwest at 3pm. Word is it's either Ed Wade or Ruben Amaro Jr, both from the Phillies organization.

Wonder if we have any games with Philly left.? The Cardinals may claim that the Astros are now trying to help Philadelphia if we start any rookies.

Maroon87
09-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
Wonder if we have any games with Philly left.? The Cardinals may claim that the Astros are now trying to help Philadelphia if we start any rookies.

No...4 at STL, 3 at CIN, 3 vs. ATL, and then mercifully it's over.

zebrablue2
09-20-2007, 04:27 PM

agreed. and agreed.

Gobbla2001
09-20-2007, 04:29 PM
They better do something... they were carrying Houston Sports a couple of years back... now the Rockets are looking like a championship team and the Texans are starting to "rock n roll"...

better get with it, Astros, or I'm gunna have to start rooting for the Devil Rays :eek:

Maroon87
09-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
They better do something... they were carrying Houston Sports a couple of years back... now the Rockets are looking like a championship team and the Texans are starting to "rock n roll"...

better get with it, Astros, or I'm gunna have to start rooting for the Devil Rays :eek:

I know...this was a Rockets town during the championship years, and then became an Astros town. Trust me, not too many fans are going to go to MMP to drink $7 beers while the Stros get drilled every night.

GoStafford
09-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Ed wade...awesome