PDA

View Full Version : Question for aTm folks

3afan
09-20-2007, 01:06 PM
tell me why the "Texas A&M Aggies" are sometimes referred to as "Texas Aggies" or "Fighting Texas Aggies" (without the "A&M")
:confused:

(The reason I ask is because I saw a guy at work who had a lanyard with "FIGHTING TEXAS AGGIES" on it - made we wonder)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
tell me why the "Texas A&M Aggies" are sometimes referred to as "Texas Aggies" or "Fighting Texas Aggies" (without the "A&M")
:confused:

(The reason I ask is because I saw a guy at work who had a lanyard with "FIGHTING TEXAS AGGIES" on it - made we wonder)

Well, the A&M stand for Agriculture & Mechanics, but it's just shortened for that I guess. I really don't know the whole story behind it, so I can't really explain it, but I think the shortened version sounds better.

LH Panther Mom
09-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Well, the A&M stand for Agriculture & Mechanics, but it's just shortened for that I guess. I really don't know the whole story behind it, so I can't really explain it, but I think the shortened version sounds better.
I think he's asking why A&M is sometimes left off.

3afan
09-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

yes, and he said "so I can't really explain it" :p

luvhoops34
09-20-2007, 01:20 PM
I'll have to ask my neighbors. They're all atm grads, they should know.:D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

No, I know that, that's the shortened version I was talking about.

Fotbol
09-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
No, I know that, that's the shortened version I was talking about. Is this a question for the ATM users, my ATM card is bent on the ends, and I can't get money:D

88bobcats
09-20-2007, 01:48 PM
The original name was the Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College. This eventually shortened, and the school became a university. Hence, it's now Texas A&M University.

"Texas Aggies" is simply an abbreviation of "Texas A&M Aggies".

The adjective, Fightin', is usually included when a competition is involved.
For example, "Now forming at the north end of Kyle Field: the nationally-famous, Fightin' Texas Aggie Band!" Whoop!

Other examples:

Fightin' Texas Aggie Mascot Reveille...Whoop!
Fightin' Texas Aggie Wreckin' Crew...Whoop!
Fightin' Texas Aggie Cadet Corps...Whoop!
Fightin' Texas Aggie 12th Man...Whoooooooop!
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '92 Hell Outta t.u....Whoooooooop!

LH Panther Mom
09-20-2007, 01:57 PM
yes, and he said "so I can't really explain it" :p
Ohhhhhhh. See, I thought he was saying he couldn't really explain the shortened "A&M".....and well, I won't say the rest. :D

JDOG
09-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Whooop! WTH does that mean? After everything Whooop you say Whooop!

88bobcats
09-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by JDOG
Whooop! WTH does that mean? After everything Whooop you say Whooop!

That's somethin' for my fellow Aggies....they know what it means.

No disrespect intended, but it's like I tell my kids about jokes, "If you didn't get it, then it wasn't meant for you."

Funk-d-fied
09-20-2007, 02:47 PM
that's right...
It's sad that the FTAB is not going to Miami isn't it?

buff4life
09-20-2007, 03:46 PM
yet when somewhere just refers to Texas in any collegiate, everyone knows the Longhorns...

and the tu was uncalled for

Snydertigersrul
09-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
yet when somewhere just refers to Texas in any collegiate, everyone knows the Longhorns...

and the tu was uncalled for

I can't believe the Aggies and their fans call themselves a Top 25 team and lose to Miami. The Canes are no longer the power like in the 1990s.

88bobcats
09-21-2007, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
I can't believe the Aggies and their fans call themselves a Top 25 team and lose to Miami. The Canes are no longer the power like in the 1990s.

It would appear that Franchione is trying to collect enough high-profile, nation-wide losses to get himself booted. Tennessee, Clemson, Cal, and Miami most recently, not to mention conference losses to Texas, Tech, Iowa State, Colorado, Oklahoma, and Nebraska. Maybe that win over Texas last year did buy him another year.

I support my Aggies through it all; I'm proud to be an Aggie ('93 & '95). I desperately want them to get some wins against the strong, nationally-known programs; but even I have to admit that we're getting outcoached, not just outplayed.

Bull's-eye
09-21-2007, 11:43 AM
:confused:[/SIZE]

Good question, I don't hear Texas Tech called themselves the "Texas Red Raiders" or anything without the Tech.

LH Panther Mom
09-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Good question, I don't hear Texas Tech called themselves the "Texas Red Raiders" or anything without the Tech.
Exactly! The only time we ever shorten it is to "Tech".