PDA

View Full Version : Really THE greates team YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD OF

burnet44
09-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Centerville spiked Leon in front of a packed house at Cougar Gym in Jewett Tuesday night.

The Lady Tigers won the clash of Class 2A volleyball titans, 17-25, 25-19, 25-15, and 25-22.

The Bengals brought a number-four state ranking into the match, while the Coogs were ranked second.

The regular season re-match will be October 12 in Centerville.

I believe this brings to an end Leon's district winning streak.
I dont know how many games it was but they have not lost a district game I think since 1976? or something like that.

about 30 years

wow

luvhoops34
09-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Wow

Leon lost a district game? Unbelievable

That would be about like Poth losing one.:(

luvhoops34
09-20-2007, 01:23 PM
I got this from my "secret" volleyball board.

Nakedcrayon writes:

last district loss was in 1973...and I dont think they had same district system way back then...they are still a very good 2A team, Centerville is very good both should be ranked in Top 10.

Gym was packed and the Windthorst, RTC Leon rule was in effect to start the match...the rule is points are given up early just because of the mystique of the program.

Leon got out to 7-0 lead in Game 1 and held off a small rally by Centerville to take game one rather handly.

Games 2 and 3 were close for first few points but Cneterville won those rather handly in Game 3 but a service run by Centerville right side put the game out of reach.

Game 4 was a tight match with several lead changes with one team never really getting more than a 3 point lead. Centerville took a lead late and held on when last hit was into net by Leon. Both teams will likely meet up in regional final again.

The principal said that was the biggest crowd he has ever seen at Leon, .... and that includes GRADUATION CEREMONIES (the seating has changed for more seatin about 4 years ago). The Centerville side was full and Leon crowd matched the intensity of the Centerville crowd. Both teams played well enough to beat MOST if not all 2A teams I have seen this year.

Heck as pointed out by the principal, I remember when Centerville couldnt even rotate correctly years ago.

They have come a long way and deserve the accolades they will recieve this year, as will Leon if they play at the level they can play like last night.

leecofans
09-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Secret volleyball board??? Please, please, please share!!!:kiss:

burnet44
09-21-2007, 08:21 AM
anyone have an idea how many games the streak was?

LH Panther Mom
09-21-2007, 08:27 AM
Nakedcrayon? LMAO! :D (No wonder you keep it secret. :devil: )

luvhoops34
09-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Nakedcrayon? LMAO! :D (No wonder you keep it secret. :devil: )

He's a volleyball ref.....:D

Phil C
09-21-2007, 01:21 PM
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/footy/

luvhoops34
09-24-2007, 03:55 PM
B44 here's the info you wanted on Jewett Leon:

AROUND THE STATE

Centerville's 17-25, 25-19, 25-15, 25-22 District 15-2A victory against Jewett Leon wouldn't necessarily draw a lot of attention, especially considering it was a matchup of two teams ranked among the state's top teams -- Jewett Leon is No. 2 in the Texas Girls Coaches Association poll, and Centerville is No. 4.

But considering the ramification, Centerville's triumph was historic. The Tigers did something to Jewett Leon that no other team had done since 1972 -- beat the Cougarettes in a district match. Jewett Leon had won more than 300-straight district matches before the loss, according to former Jewett Leon coach Billy Evans, who was 1,079-181 in 43 seasons at Jewett Leon, before retiring after the 2000 season.

Ironically, and perhaps fittingly, Centerville is coached by Jason Evans -- Billy Evans' grandson.

burnet44
09-24-2007, 10:20 PM
yeah I figured it was 300+

Old Tiger
09-24-2007, 10:21 PM
And there are reasons you haven't heard of them....so keep it that way ;)