PDA

View Full Version : Watch out Gilmer!

JR2004
09-19-2007, 10:30 PM
Here comes Royse City! Looks like they're playing with a chip on their shoulder! This has to be the most talented team that gets the least publicity of any team in the Metroplex. I can only hope Gilmer and Royse City meet up in the playoffs. :)

http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/sharedcontent/dws/content/topstories/stories/092007dnspoeastcover.291f730.html

Royse City securing place among 3A powers

09:20 PM CDT on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

By GREG TEPPER / The Dallas Morning News
gtepper@dallasnews.com

Keep going east. Past Mesquite. Past Mobile City. Past Fate. You'll find it.

"Most people have never heard of it," quarterback Richard Morrison said. "Guys in Garland will ask me where I play, and I'll say, 'Royse City.' And they'll say, 'Where's that?'

"I have to tell them that you just keep going past Rockwall, and there it is."

There it is, past where scenic views of Lake Ray Hubbard turn into open fields: Royse City, Texas, estimated population 9,700. It's a small town with a big secret: Royse City football has established itself into a 3A powerhouse, but the program continues to go unnoticed.

Royse City finished the 2006 regular season with a 9-1 record, advancing to the state quarterfinals before falling to eventual champion Texarkana Liberty-Eylau. In 2004, eventual champion Abilene Wylie knocked out Royse City in the state semifinals.

MIKE STONE/Special Contributor
Coach Rodney Webb, holding a blocking dummy for running back Trevor White, says being a small-town program helps keep the players grounded. "It's hard to say why people don't think about us," linebacker Oscar Hernandez said. "Maybe it's because we're out of town, maybe it's because we're a smaller school."

According to University Interscholastic League figures, Royse City has an enrollment of 829.5 students, putting it at the higher end of Class 3A, which tops out at 949 students. But compared with 5A teams such as Plano East, which boasts 5,652 students, and 4A mainstay Highland Park and its 1,957 students, Royse City is a dwarf.

For years, Celina has been the local household name in 3A-others football, shrouding Royse City, currently No. 2 behind Celina in the SportsDay 3A-others rankings, even further.

But Royse City coach Rodney Webb sees it differently.

"The advantage is that it keeps your kids a little more grounded," Webb said. "We don't have to worry too much about seeing your names and pictures in the newspapers and getting big-headed."

Webb knows what can happen when his team's ego gets inflated.

After Royse City's successful 7-on-7 season, Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine ranked it the state's fourth-best team in 3A. It was a rare bit of publicity for Webb's squad, but there were unintended consequences.

"It was right after that that we went and played in a small-school 7-on-7 tournament," Webb said. "We lost two of first three games and went home."

Three games into this season, Royse City is undefeated. Led by Morrison, its offense is scoring 46.3 points per game, while the defense is allowing 16.7. Yet Webb says that because of Royse City's location and size, it is underappreciated.

"In all honesty, we're all in it for recognition," Webb said. "For anyone to say that recognition is not important to them is lying."

Morrison, the area's 3A passing leader, said that Royse City has embraced the underdog role.

"I kind of like it," Morrison said. "Everyone's paying attention to Celina or the other big 3A schools, and then we jump up and surprise them. It's the element of surprise that we have."

Small-town Royse City is trying to establish itself as a big-time program. But Hernandez, the linebacker, said that the program is focused on its performance rather than how it is perceived.

"It's not up to us what people think of us," Hernandez said. "If they want to respect us, that's great. If they don't, we'll make them respect us by winning.

"You get people's attention when you win."

If so, then heads may start turning eastward.

ON A ROLL

With QB Richard Morrison leading the way, Royse City is 3-0 and ranked No. 2 in SportsDay's 3A-others area rankings. A closer look:

vs. Kaufman (49-14)

Morrison threw for 255 yards and four TDs

vs. Terrell (41-27)

Morrison threw for 286 yards and three TDs, ran for one TD

at Canton (49-9)

Morrison threw for 484 yards and five TDs passing, ran for one TD

Royse City (3-0) at Sanger (2-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday

dogdad
09-19-2007, 11:30 PM
thanks JR that's great!!!!!

both RC and Gilmer better watch out for Pittsburg though

BILLYFRED0000
09-20-2007, 06:00 AM
Kinda funny that we get called big time in that article. We have won but our enrollment is tiny. Royse City will be d1 for sure. We will be d2 for sure. I think our alignment number was 429 for the last realignment. I am not sure where we are this year. Maybe 450.

3afan
09-20-2007, 06:40 AM
nice article .. but one thing I do disagree with -- the "element of surprise" does not exist in HS football anymore ... RC isnt going to sneak up on anyone

I would like to see a RC/Celina matchup - that WOULD be fun

lostaussie
09-20-2007, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by dogdad

both RC and Gilmer better watch out for Pittsburg though in your dreams!!!!!!!!! pitt is better, but not that much better. a one man show won't work against us. kendall wright is a one man show. Royse City is not.

lostaussie
09-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
nice article .. but one thing I do disagree with -- the "element of surprise" does not exist in HS football anymore ... RC isnt going to sneak up on anyone

I would like to see a RC/Celina matchup - that WOULD be fun gilmers coaching staff was at the RC L/E game last year. i know this because me and G2 spoke with some of them. we know exactly what looms on the horizon. BTW, one of Gilmers coaches is either from RC or has coached there before. maybe we recruited him too:D

JR2004
09-20-2007, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Kinda funny that we get called big time in that article. We have won but our enrollment is tiny. Royse City will be d1 for sure. We will be d2 for sure. I think our alignment number was 429 for the last realignment. I am not sure where we are this year. Maybe 450.

They weren't talking about y'alls enrollment when they mentioned Celina. Morrison was talking about "big" as in big-time football schools. People expect Celina to win and not near as many folks expect to see this from Royse City.

The only reason enrollment was brought up was comparing Royse City's enrollment to that of schools in bigger classifications.

rangerjoe33
09-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
gilmers coaching staff was at the RC L/E game last year. i know this because me and G2 spoke with some of them. we know exactly what looms on the horizon. BTW, one of Gilmers coaches is either from RC or has coached there before. maybe we recruited him too:D

Yes, the coach you are referring to is an RC alum

pirate4state
09-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
in your dreams!!!!!!!!! pitt is better, but not that much better. a one man show won't work against us. kendall wright is a one man show. Royse City is not.

haha i've heard that expression before "one man shows won't work against us" :D

Buckeye80
09-21-2007, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by dogdad

both RC and Gilmer better watch out for Pittsburg though

Unless I'm seriously mistaken, I don't think that Pittsburg actually has a shot to go D1. I think, if the numbers all held true, that Pitt is the fourth smallest school in the 5 team district. So, Celina should be watching out for Pitt. Kendall Wright is a freak!

BILLYFRED0000
09-21-2007, 02:45 AM
I don't think we need to worry about Pitt till they beat a few good teams. So far their schedule is less than impressive. But I do bet they are fun to watch....

Gsquared
09-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
Unless I'm seriously mistaken, I don't think that Pittsburg actually has a shot to go D1. I think, if the numbers all held true, that Pitt is the fourth smallest school in the 5 team district. So, Celina should be watching out for Pitt. Kendall Wright is a freak!
Ricco Jessup is a stud too. They have one other but cant remember his name. #'s hurt them last year, I counted 24 kids suited up.

Aesculus gilmus
09-21-2007, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye80

ONLY if Liberty-Eylau misses the playoffs, which is possible, but not at all likely, even in a down year. They'd probably have to lose to three of the four other teams in 16-3A. I can see Pitt and Atlanta handling the Leps, but not Mount Vernon or Pleasant Grove. With two losses, they're still probably in the playoffs.

But, yeah, Pittsburg is the second-largest school in that district in terms of enrollment. So it's a slight possibility.

waterboy
09-21-2007, 11:13 AM
I think the secret's out! It'll be hard for Royse City to sneak up on anybody this year. I think anybody who follows 3A football knows about them. They'll have to just be PLAIN better than their opponent which they have been thus far.