PDA

View Full Version : Serious Longhorns Question

KTA
09-19-2007, 08:57 PM
With Henry getting arrested, do you think this will help clear up Andre Jones' name? They first said the other guy was 6'2 220, and then they arrested Jones who is 6'5 295. Yall think maybe it was Henry who was actully the other guy? Henry is listed at 6'2 200. There is quite a bit of difference in 6'2 220 and 6'5 295. Opinions? And please no bashing, try to keep it cival

Old Tiger
09-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by KTA
With Henry getting arrested, do you think this will help clear up Andre Jones' name? They first said the other guy was 6'2 220, and then they arrested Jones who is 6'5 295. Yall think maybe it was Henry who was actully the other guy? Henry is listed at 6'2 200. There is quite a bit of difference in 6'2 220 and 6'5 295. Opinions? And please no bashing, try to keep it cival Perhaps....there was an article where Jones attourney said something that it was a mix up and he was with other friends or something. I can't recall it.

RedWhiteBlue
09-20-2007, 07:20 AM
No, apparently, the new case is in 'retaliation' to the old one. He was helpin' a 'friend' edited even if it's his words we really don't need it one here, even disguised ~ p4s (his words).
It is a shame- I hope we have any players left come 10/06.

RedWhiteBlue
09-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Hey, KTA- any news about tomorrow night? You think our boys are ready for the trip? I heard the stomach bug is still hanging.....

RedWhiteBlue
09-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Sorry about the blips......

KTA
09-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Glen Rose sucks, if they cant play consistant enough to squash them, something is wrong.

RedWhiteBlue
09-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Really- see I have heard it could be scary.... but you may know the real scoop. I hope so!!!! Going tonight to watch my 8th grader. Hope we whoop some Tigers!!!

KTA
09-20-2007, 06:17 PM
from what ive been reading they got a decent QB, and a decent D-line. Wylie is a better team........

wedo
09-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by KTA
With Henry getting arrested, do you think this will help clear up Andre Jones' name? They first said the other guy was 6'2 220, and then they arrested Jones who is 6'5 295. Yall think maybe it was Henry who was actully the other guy? Henry is listed at 6'2 200. There is quite a bit of difference in 6'2 220 and 6'5 295. Opinions? And please no bashing, try to keep it cival

Mack needs to set a curfew Ferentz (sp) did at Iowa recently!!!

Old Tiger
09-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by wedo
Mack needs to set a curfew Ferentz (sp) did at Iowa recently!!! Hard to do a curfew when a lot of players live off campus

LH Panther Mom
09-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Hard to do a curfew when a lot of players live off campus
COMMENTARY: CEDRIC GOLDEN

Time to round up, rein in all the wild Horns, Mack
Click-2-Listen
By Cedric Golden

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Mack Brown said he doesn't know what else he can do to curtail the outbreak of arrests of UT football players.

In the wake of James Henry's arrest on charges of tampering with evidence and retaliating against victims of an armed robbery, Mack plunged himself on the sword Tuesday. All on me, he said. I need to do a better job, he said.

Nice explanation, but we're past the point of explanations. It's time to come up with solutions.

Here are some suggestions:

Move the players on campus

It's time to circle the wagons, Mack. Move the players into one area of the campus and treat it like an army barracks if necessary. I know it's not your style to be a drill sergeant, but it's the only way to send an ultra-clear message that your zero-tolerance policy is now a less-than-zero-tolerance policy.

And give the players a curfew, upperclassmen included. A Longhorn may not be looking for trouble after 1 a.m. but there comes a time when trouble is looking for him.

If you have to treat your players like juveniles, Mack, so be it. Put everybody under the same umbrella. If you house the whole team in one area with strict supervision, at least you have made sure the questionable ones are in sight, too.

Call Joe Pa right now

It's time to sanction the many whenever one runs afoul of the law, Mack, just as Joe Paterno does.

Paterno's Penn State team has played three home games. And the day after each game, his players have cleaned out 107,000-seat Beaver Stadium. Not because 85 Penn State players were arrested this preseason after a fight, but because six Nittany Lions were arrested.

Paterno declared the entire team would be punished, and there's been no sign of legal mishaps involving his players since. Bravo.

Maybe they're too tired to go out after the home games because they have stadium duty the next day. Whatever works.

Mack, you're always quick to praise your team as a unit. So why not punish it as a team, as well?

I wouldn't want to be the moron who gets arrested and has to explain to 6-foot-6-inch, 305-pound offensive tackle Tony Hills that he is the reason the Longhorns are cleaning out Royal-Memorial Stadium one day after Hills played 90 snaps in the heat.

We know you can't be all places at all times, Mack, but these kids know who's doing what outside of the football stadium. So give them more power to police themselves.

Associated Press reporter Jim Vertuno played college football at Florida A&M. He said if one position player missed the mandatory breakfast on weekdays — breakfast was mandated so players would be less likely to skip out on early morning classes — then coach Ken Riley ordered that player's position group to do a crab walk of the entire field. After practice.

All for one. One for all. It's cliché but it rings true here.

Make MySpace CleanSpace

Mack, it's time to punish any player who has tasteless, off-color content on his MySpace page. The gangsta image Vince Young referred to before the Rose Bowl has taken on a more worrisome tone these days.

A reader sent us a link to James Henry's MySpace page and "disgusted" was too kind of a word to describe my reaction. There were F-bombs all over the place, and N-word references throughout the text. Photos also showed three Longhorns flashing what a law enforcement friend of mine interpreted as gang signs.

The Web page has since been taken down, but there should be no excuse for it or its like. UT football has an image problem, and these pages glamorizing the thug life are part of that problem. A picture may say a thousand words, but what I viewed on Henry's page said a million.

Take a stiffer look at recruiting

You're one of the five best recruiters in the business, Mack, but it may be time to take the evaluation process one step further. Once you leave a recruit's town, head over the neighboring town and ask the opposing head coach if there is anything you should know about this kid you're about to offer a free education, with the assurance his candor will be appreciated.

Mack, you're right when you say the good deeds of many of your players have been overshadowed by the wrongful actions of a few.

Now it's time to rein in that few.

cgolden@statesman.com, 912-5944

link (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/09/20/0920golden.html)

burnet44
09-20-2007, 11:49 PM
you gotta love Joe Pa

Cedric Golden was a very good hurdler in high school