PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Stokley says white WRs under more pressure

crzyjournalist03
09-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Caucasian wide receivers face more pressure and more criticism than their African-American counterparts, Broncos WR Brandon Stokley says in an interview scheduled to air on NBC on Sunday night.

Stokley, in an interview on "Football Night in America," tells interviewer Bob Costas that caucasian wide outs such as himself face added pressure because there are fewer white WRs-- and because some still don't want white athletes playing the position.

"There's not that many Caucasian wide receivers, so we have to do a little bit extra," Stokley tells NBC. "Because the percentage of us playing this position, which people didn't want us to play ... is low, so we do a little extra."

After the just-completed Week 2, only 4 of the top 50 (8 percent) wide receivers are white (Stokley, Wes Welker, Mike Furrey and Kevin Curtis).

Later in the interview, Costas presses Stokley on criticism of his performance -- and if Caucasian wide receivers are graded more harshly.

"I get 200 yards receiving, our team wins by seven, [mimicking] 'Ah, he could've made that catch, they would have scored if he did this,' " Stokley tells NBC.

"Doesn't every wide receiver go through that?" Costas asks.

"Not everybody," Stokley replies.

Costas then asks if the media is tougher on him than on black wide receivers such as Javon Walker and Marvin Harrison.

"Let me start by saying I love those guys," Stokley tells NBC. "But they don't get criticized as much as we do. They don't."

In the interview, Stokley also talks to Costas about playing in Denver, a city known for passionate sports fans who aren't afraid to criticize the city's pro athletes.

"This is my first year here, but I've already been criticized," Stokley tells NBC. "But every day that we go through life, you're faced with a lot of adversity. Now the answer is how do you handle the adversity. How do you respond?

"I try to handle myself with class. I try to handle myself with dignity. I think sometimes people look to players to act out, speak loudly, pretty much be an idiot. But that's not me."

pirate4state
09-19-2007, 09:11 AM
haha

Sweetwater Red
09-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Don't forget about the white RB's....all two of them.:D

luvhoops34
09-19-2007, 09:30 AM
This thread is hilarious.

crzyjournalist03
09-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Don't forget about the white RB's....all two of them.:D

are there really? I thought of a fullback or two, but I couldn't come up with a single running back...

piratebg
09-19-2007, 09:32 AM
I don't thinking their are any starting white RBs. Can anyone think of any black kickers or is that a "white only" position?

Sweetwater Red
09-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
are there really? I thought of a fullback or two, but I couldn't come up with a single running back...

LMAO....I couldn't think of a single one either. I was just guessing that there might be two... :D

crzyjournalist03
09-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
I don't thinking their are any starting white RBs. Can anyone think of any black kickers or is that a "white only" position?

I can think of a few hispanic kickers, but that's it...

worst play by play call in Cowboys history was when Jose Cortez kicked a game-winning kick a couple of years ago...Brad Sham's call:

"It's Cinco de Mayo in October!!!"

crzyjournalist03
09-19-2007, 09:38 AM
According to blackathlete.net, there have been six black kickers in NFL history:

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/nfl/2005/0222/photo/g_roby_vi.jpg

crzyjournalist03
09-19-2007, 09:41 AM
And upon further review, here is the list of names:

GENE MINGO: Denver (1960-64), Oakland (1965), Miami (1966-67), Washington (1967), Pittsburgh (1969-70).

COOKIE GILCHRIST: Buffalo (1962-64), Denver (1965), Miami (1966), Denver (1967).

HERB TRAVENIO: San Diego (1964-65).

OBED ARIRI: Tampa Bay (1984), Washington (1987).

DONALD IGWEBUIKE: Tampa Bay (1985-89), Minnesota (1990).

CEDRIC OGLESBY: Arizona (2001).

(apparently the guy that I found a picture of was a punter)

pirate4state
09-19-2007, 09:42 AM
According to blackathlete.net, there have been six black kickers in NFL history:

:eek: :eek: WHAT??? Is that web address REAL????

I'm sorry --- you know what? NVM :mad:

44INAROW
09-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

believe it or not, it is a real website!:eek:
I am not making anymore comments on this subject:doh:

Old Tiger
09-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Last good white running back I can think of was in college and that was Luke Staley out of BYU.

crzyjournalist03
09-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

lol...that was my thoughts too...the question was posted on yahoo answers and one of the posters quoted that website as their database.

Bull19
09-19-2007, 10:36 AM
ISNT LSU'S RUNNING BACK WHITE???? OR AT LEAST THE BACK-UP?

luvhoops34
09-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
believe it or not, it is a real website!:eek:
I am not making anymore comments on this subject:doh:

I went and looked to:doh: It's for real.:hand:

Old Tiger
09-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Bull19
ISNT LSU'S RUNNING BACK WHITE???? OR AT LEAST THE BACK-UP? You're thinking of the FB #18

Bull19
09-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
You're thinking of the FB #18

NM FULLBACKS DONT COUNT

Fal44
09-19-2007, 10:44 AM
who are the two white RB's?

crzyjournalist03
09-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Fal44
who are the two white RB's?

I don't think that there are...

big daddy russ
09-19-2007, 10:48 AM

That punter is Reggie Roby.

Anyone else think the race card has been thrown around a little too much this week? First McNabb and now Stokley.

Bull19
09-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

Anyone else think the race card has been thrown around a little too much this week? First McNabb and now Stokley.

ONLY BECAUSE OF THAT RACE THING THAT IS HAPPENING IN LOUISIANA.....ESP WITH THE BIG RALLY HAPPENING TOMM THERE.......SOMEBODY NEEDS TO START A THREAD ON THAT AND POST THE STORY OF WHAT HAPPENED, ITS PRETTY INTERESTING

Bull Butter
09-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

The Stokley comment was satire, not real

29-3aFAN
09-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
The Stokley comment was satire, not real
Imagine if he did go on the air saying that. The controversy it was cause. Because its ok for blacks to speak their mind and to have BET and blackathlete.com, etc.

Fotbol
09-19-2007, 12:40 PM
This thread could cause some confusion to the one's who hasn't heard D. Mcnabb, I could see certain people get offended!

Emerson1
09-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
This thread could cause some confusion to the one's who hasn't heard D. Mcnabb, I could see certain people get offended!
It's the downlow, someone will ALWAYS be offended

burnet44
09-19-2007, 03:38 PM
http://www.coxhardware.com/Products/product_images/gatorade_bottle.jpg

Do you think Stokley drinks gatorade?

read the label

JR2004
09-19-2007, 07:38 PM
I saw his name mentioned, but I actually do remember watching Donald Igwebuike kick as a kid. I seem to remember him kicking a game winner one year that was pretty exciting.

KC has Justin Medlock right now, but he's been subpar at best. He's a rookie though so he's still got some time to figure it out. He had a pretty good leg in college, but it seems like nerves have gotten the better of him early on in his pro career.

JR2004
09-19-2007, 07:41 PM
And does any remember Reggie Roby (Not a kicker, but he was a very successful punter)? He had to be the most flexible punter I've ever seen. He just about kicked himself in the face everytime he punted.

Johnny 5
09-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by 29-3aFAN
Imagine if he did go on the air saying that. The controversy it was cause. Because its ok for blacks to speak their mind and to have BET and blackathlete.com, etc.

+1

29-3aFAN
09-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Randall Cunningham was a punter too. Don't remember if he was the starter or they just used him a little.

JR2004
09-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by 29-3aFAN
Randall Cunningham was a punter too. Don't remember if he was the starter or they just used him a little.

Fill-in. That 91 yarder he had was great though.

Darren
09-20-2007, 06:26 AM
Caucasian wide receivers face more pressure and more criticism than their African-American counterparts, Broncos WR Brandon Stokley says in an interview scheduled to air on NBC on Sunday night.

Stokley, in an interview on "Football Night in America," tells interviewer Bob Costas that caucasian wide outs such as himself face added pressure because there are fewer white WRs-- and because some still don't want white athletes playing the position.

"There's not that many Caucasian wide receivers, so we have to do a little bit extra," Stokley tells NBC. "Because the percentage of us playing this position, which people didn't want us to play ... is low, so we do a little extra."

After the just-completed Week 2, only 4 of the top 50 (8 percent) wide receivers are white (Stokley, Wes Welker, Mike Furrey and Kevin Curtis).

Later in the interview, Costas presses Stokley on criticism of his performance -- and if Caucasian wide receivers are graded more harshly.

"I get 200 yards receiving, our team wins by seven, [mimicking] 'Ah, he could've made that catch, they would have scored if he did this,' " Stokley tells NBC.

"Doesn't every wide receiver go through that?" Costas asks.

"Not everybody," Stokley replies.

Costas then asks if the media is tougher on him than on black wide receivers such as Javon Walker and Marvin Harrison.

"Let me start by saying I love those guys," Stokley tells NBC. "But they don't get criticized as much as we do. They don't."

In the interview, Stokley also talks to Costas about playing in Denver, a city known for passionate sports fans who aren't afraid to criticize the city's pro athletes.

"This is my first year here, but I've already been criticized," Stokley tells NBC. "But every day that we go through life, you're faced with a lot of adversity. Now the answer is how do you handle the adversity. How do you respond?

"I try to handle myself with class. I try to handle myself with dignity. I think sometimes people look to players to act out, speak loudly, pretty much be an idiot. But that's not me."

I love the sarcasm. And he makes an excellent point.

crzyjournalist03
09-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Darren
I love the sarcasm. And he makes an excellent point.

lol...believe it or not, that entire article was written by me...I just edited out all of the McNabb stuff and replaced it with Stokley, and researched the facts to back it up.

piratebg
09-20-2007, 10:16 AM
lol...believe it or not, that entire article was written by me...I just edited out all of the McNabb stuff and replaced it with Stokley, and researched the facts to back it up.

I love it :clap: :clap: :clap:

rangerjoe33
09-20-2007, 10:31 AM

It was great. As I read the post to begin with I was thinking...search and replace McNabb with Stokely, search and replace Black with white, add the white WR names...etc.

good stuff.

88bobcats
09-20-2007, 01:37 PM
I don't think that there are...

Does anyone thing Sam McGuffie might make it through the college ranks and into the pros?

Sweetwater Red
09-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by 88bobcats
Does anyone thing Sam McGuffie might make it through the college ranks and into the pros?

He's got a "solid verbal commitment" to The University of Michigan.
So, of course he will.:D

crzyjournalist03
09-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
And does any remember Reggie Roby (Not a kicker, but he was a very successful punter)? He had to be the most flexible punter I've ever seen. He just about kicked himself in the face everytime he punted.

His picture is posted earlier in this thread!