PDA

View Full Version : McNabb on Race

Txbroadcaster
09-18-2007, 11:04 AM
African-American quarterbacks face more pressure and more criticism than their white counterparts, Philadelphia Eagles QB Donovan McNabb says in an interview scheduled to air on HBO on Tuesday night.

McNabb
McNabb, in an interview on "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel," tells interviewer James Brown that African-American quarterbacks such as himself face added pressure because there are fewer black QBs -- and because some still don't want black athletes playing the position.

"There's not that many African-American quarterbacks, so we have to do a little bit extra," McNabb tells HBO. "Because the percentage of us playing this position, which people didn't want us to play ... is low, so we do a little extra."

Later in the interview, Brown presses McNabb on criticism of his performance -- and if African-American QBs are graded more harshly.

"I pass for 300 yards, our team wins by seven, [mimicking] 'Ah, he could've made this throw, they would have scored if he did this,' " McNabb tells HBO.

"Doesn't every quarterback go through that?" Brown asks.

"Not everybody," McNabb replies.

Brown then asks if the media is tougher on him than on white quarterbacks such as Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning.

"Let me start by saying I love those guys," McNabb tells HBO. "But they don't get criticized as much as we do. They don't."

In the interview, McNabb also talks to Brown about playing in Philadelphia, a city known for passionate sports fans who aren't afraid to criticize the city's pro athletes.

"Every year I'm part of some criticism," McNabb tells HBO. "But every day that we go through life, you're faced with a lot of adversity. Now the answer is how do you handle the adversity. How do you respond?

"I try to handle myself with class. I try to handle myself with dignity. I think sometimes people look to players to act out, speak loudly, pretty much be an idiot. But that's not me."

Txbroadcaster
09-18-2007, 11:05 AM
I personally think he is mixing race and the attitude of Philly Fans

they dont care about color, they just have unreal expectations

burnet44
09-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

In the interview, McNabb also talks to Brown about playing in Philadelphia, a city known for passionate sports fans who aren't afraid to criticize the city's pro athletes.

ya play in Philly
they booed Santa
and threw snowballs

tough crowd

the real story

A crowd of 54,535 showed in a snowstorm that Dec. 15 day at Franklin Field to watch the last-place Eagles finished off a 2-12 season with a loss to Minnesota.

The book says that team owner Jerry Wolman had "dismantled a strong, proud franchise" and hired Joe Kuharich as coach and general manager. Kuharich, who inspired the "Joe Must Go" slogan, traded Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen to Washington for Norm Snead.

At halftime, there was supposed to be a Christmas pageant. Then there was too much snow and muck for a float to parade around the field. Instead, according to the book, a 19-year-old fan wearing a Santa suit and fake beard in the stands was recruited to jog onto the field between two columns of cheerleaders.

The authors don't deny boos were heard and that snowballs were tossed. Are they saying Santa had it coming?

"Santa had it coming for a different reason actually," says Macnow. "Santa was a surrogate that day for Joe Kuharich and Jerry Wolman and Norm Snead. The poor kid just happened to be representing the frustrations."

The authors tracked down the Santa, Frank Olivo, who now lives in Ocean City, N.J. In the book, Olivo says he has no hard feelings. "I'm a Philadelphia fan, I knew what was what. I thought it was funny," he is quoted as saying.

But Olivo recalls that when he was asked if he might want to play Santa again the next season, he balked. "No way. If it doesn't snow, they'll probably throw beer bottles."

CenTexSports
09-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Stupidity knows no color.

pirate4state
09-18-2007, 11:21 AM
I loved Charles Barkley in the booth last night

Barkely: "You can't take it personally man, people are gonna criticize you - you can't let it get to you"

Kornheiser: "Did you take it personally?"

Barkely: "Hell yeah!" LMAO! He then went on to say that athletes are lying when they say that they don't read their own press or watch tv "what the hell else are we gonna do?" :D

Gotta love Barkely :thumbsup:

I'm not even gonna touch the issue of race. IMO - it shouldn't even be an issue, but the media has to write/talk about something. :rolleyes:

Maroon87
09-18-2007, 11:45 AM
I was gonna post this but I thought it would take about 2 seconds to get locked or deleted.

I think McNabb can tend to be a bit of a drama queen, but that's JMHO.

Buckeye80
09-18-2007, 11:52 AM
What McNabb said is a big pile of crap!! Tell me that Tony Romo hasn't taken some heat (before the bobbled snap)!! And he isn't black last time I checked.

What a cry-baby!:doh:

GoStafford
09-18-2007, 11:52 AM
I personally think he is mixing race and the attitude of Philly Fans

they dont care about color, they just have unreal expectations exactly

Bull Butter
09-18-2007, 12:00 PM
McNabb didn't exactly do anything in last night's game to quiet the critics

Johnny 5
09-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Hey.

Rush Limbaugh was fired from ESPN for saying something similar.

JasperDog94
09-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Johnny 5
Hey.

Rush Limbaugh was fired from ESPN for saying something similar. That had more to do with the fact that Rush is a conservative and lots of people don't like him.

crzyjournalist03
09-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
What McNabb said is a big pile of crap!! Tell me that Tony Romo hasn't taken some heat (before the bobbled snap)!! And he isn't black last time I checked.

What a cry-baby!:doh:

according to Jerry Jones, Romo is hispanic. :D ;)

But seriously...the more time goes by, the more I think that McNabb might have actually contributed to T.O.'s issues in Philly just as much as Owens did. I mean, obviously the contract issue didn't have anything to do with McNabb, but the other stuff like the sideline arguments and locker room fights...there hasn't been even a hint of that since T.O. arrived in Dallas.

AP Panther Fan
09-18-2007, 12:24 PM
McNabb

"I try to handle myself with class. I try to handle myself with dignity. I think sometimes people look to players to act out, speak loudly, pretty much be an idiot. But that's not me."

uh, maybe now it is...:doh:

Buckeye80
09-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
according to Jerry Jones, Romo is hispanic. :D ;)

But seriously...the more time goes by, the more I think that McNabb might have actually contributed to T.O.'s issues in Philly just as much as Owens did. I mean, obviously the contract issue didn't have anything to do with McNabb, but the other stuff like the sideline arguments and locker room fights...there hasn't been even a hint of that since T.O. arrived in Dallas.

Romo is as hispanic as I am female!:D

Txbroadcaster
09-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
Romo is as hispanic as I am female!:D

LOL then your wearing a dress right now lol..He is a third generation

And his grandparents live in Crockett,Texas of all places

pirate4state
09-18-2007, 12:38 PM

Crockett?? I think another set might live in San Antonio.

Buckeye80
09-18-2007, 12:41 PM

See? I'm third generation female, so it all works out.:D

Txbroadcaster
09-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

No same set..they moved from SA to Crockett

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-18-2007, 12:43 PM
I hate the term "African-American."

pirate4state
09-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I hate the term "African-American." I hate ALL labels - stupid!

Let's not go there? mmmmmmmmmkay? :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-18-2007, 12:46 PM
I hate ALL labels - stupid!

Let's not go there? mmmmmmmmmkay? :D

Mmmmkay.

Maroon87
09-18-2007, 12:59 PM

One set used to live in Robstown, or so I'm told.

Johnny 5
09-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
That had more to do with the fact that Rush is a conservative and lots of people don't like him.

So where is the hammer drop on McNabb for these comments?

eagles_victory
09-18-2007, 01:16 PM
how lethal would crocketts offense had been in those years had they had Romo

piratebg
09-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Donovan McNabb tells HBO black QBs face greater scrutiny
September 18, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- Philadelphia Eagles star Donovan McNabb says black quarterbacks face greater scrutiny than their white counterparts.

In an interview on HBO's "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" to be broadcast Tuesday, McNabb said black quarterbacks "have to do a little bit extra" because there are relatively few of them, adding "people didn't want us to play this position."

McNabb said if he passes for 300 yards and his team wins by a touchdown, critics will say, "Oh, he could have made this throw here. We would have scored more points if he would have done this."

Asked if white quarterbacks such as Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer are held to the same standards, McNabb replied: "Let me start by saying, I love those guys. But they don't get criticized as much as we do. They don't."

McNabb is one of six black starting quarterbacks in the NFL. The others are David Garrard of Jacksonville, Vince Young of Tennessee, Steve McNair of Baltimore, Jason Campbell of Washington and Tarvaris Jackson of Minnesota.

McNabb, a five-time Pro Bowl selection, is 9 1/2 months removed from major knee surgery and has missed 13 games the past two seasons because of injuries. On Monday night, he misfired on several throws and couldn't create big plays during the Eagles' 20-12 loss to Washington.

In 2003, conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh, briefly part of ESPN's pregame show, said he didn't think McNabb was as good as perceived.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL," Limbaugh said. "The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well."

He resigned from the show the next week.

Updated on Tuesday, Sep 18, 2007 12:35 pm, EDT

IHStangFan
09-19-2007, 09:14 AM
only when they make stupid comments like this. I'm so tired of athletes pulling the race card. :rolleyes:

piratebg
09-19-2007, 09:16 AM
His job is on the line and he knows it. He was booed several time Monday night. I think he has lost like 6 of his last 7 starts or something like that, and they've only scored 1 TD in like 25 possessions this season.

Highschoolfan78
09-19-2007, 11:05 AM
I thought this thread was about him possibly join CBS's Amazing Race

Old Tiger
09-19-2007, 11:08 AM
The white man is holding the black man back!:rolleyes:

Bull19
09-19-2007, 11:13 AM
AINT IT FUNNY WHEN THE BLACK MAN ACCOMPLISHES SOMETHING NOT WORHTY THEY SAY THEY DID IT BY HARD WORK, GOD, ETC....BUT WHEN THEY DONT MAKE THE TEAM, WIN RACE, ETC ITS THE WHITE MAN'S FAULT AND THEIR IS RACISM INVOLVED?

big daddy russ
09-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Bull19
AINT IT FUNNY WHEN THE BLACK MAN ACCOMPLISHES SOMETHING NOT WORHTY THEY SAY THEY DID IT BY HARD WORK, GOD, ETC....BUT WHEN THEY DONT MAKE THE TEAM, WIN RACE, ETC ITS THE WHITE MAN'S FAULT AND THEIR IS RACISM INVOLVED?
It's not always like that, but some use it as a crutch. But then again, all of us are footing the bill and handing that crutch over to the ones who do it.

29-3aFAN
09-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
only when they make stupid comments like this. I'm so tired of athletes pulling the race card. :rolleyes:
10-4 Amen

burnet44
09-19-2007, 12:53 PM
win some games
the eagles are gonna do nothing with mcnabb
they have no one else to play
and they really cant get anyone better

if you want people off your back win games
no one cares if your green or red or black or white
ask dan marino?
white guy
never heard the end of he didnt win one