PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Illness Strikes After Meteorite Hits Peruvian Village

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-18-2007, 08:31 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070918/sc_afp/peruhealthoffbeat

This is kinda crazy. If the illness came from that rock, that proves there is extraterrestrial life....Your thoughts?

rockdale80
09-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Would the discovery of extraterrestial life disprove christianity?

Sweetwater Red
09-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80

Uh-oh...

crzyjournalist03

not at all...if anything, it would only enhance it.

pirate4state

Not with me. This is NOT a subject we need to explore on this board.

Ranger Mom
09-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070918/sc_afp/peruhealthoffbeat

This is kinda crazy. If the illness came from that rock, that proves there is extraterrestrial life....Your thoughts?

How does it prove that?? Where did it say anything about extraterrestrial life??

If it was a meteor, no telling what kind of "outer space" stuff it brought down with it that could make someone sick!!

Sweetwater Red
09-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
How does it prove that?? Where did it say anything about extraterrestrial life??

If it was a meteor, no telling what kind of "outer space" stuff it brought down with it that could make someone sick!!

like say radiation...:thinking:

crzyjournalist03
09-18-2007, 10:28 AM

excellent point...scientists still have not identified every element that exists on our planet, let alone what could exist on other planets.

Ranger Mom
09-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
like say radiation...:thinking:

Okay!!:confused: :confused:

That certainly doesn't make me think of "extraterrestrial life".

Fal44
09-18-2007, 10:29 AM
good point ^^

slpybear the bullfan
09-18-2007, 10:30 AM
All kinds of heavy metals can make you extremely sick. Without radiation!

rockdale80
09-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
All kinds of heavy metals can make you extremely sick. Without radiation!

Not that quickly though. Heavy metals poison you overtime. Even inhaled in large amounts, the effect is not instant.

crzyjournalist03
09-18-2007, 10:33 AM
It could be something as simple as sulpher...after reading the story, I don't think that it's anything noteworthy...when alien objects enter any foreign environment (and by alien I'm not talking extraterrestrial), they can cause an adverse effect on their surroundings. It's as simple as why Americans aren't supposed to drink the water in Mexico or Guatemala or wherever. There are certain biological or chemical differences that don't harm the residents, but could be very troublesome to someone who doesn't have an immunity built up to whatever the substance is.

rockdale80
09-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
It could be something as simple as sulpher...after reading the story, I don't think that it's anything noteworthy...when alien objects enter any foreign environment (and by alien I'm not talking extraterrestrial), they can cause an adverse effect on their surroundings. It's as simple as why Americans aren't supposed to drink the water in Mexico or Guatemala or wherever. There are certain biological or chemical differences that don't harm the residents, but could be very troublesome to someone who doesn't have an immunity built up to whatever the substance is.

Drinking the water, and breathing are two different things. This definitely has merit.

Sweetwater Red
09-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Okay!!:confused: :confused:

That certainly doesn't make me think of "extraterrestrial life".

I was trying to help you make YOUR point.:nerd: :D

crzyjournalist03
09-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Drinking the water, and breathing are two different things. This definitely has merit.

fine, then take it to breathing.

Plenty of people go on vacation to places that they've never been and get very sick. "City" people get sick in the country all the time and "country" people get sick when they visit the city. The air content is different in the two places...someone from the country visiting the city breathes air pollution which would have some of the very same chemical properties as a meteorite could, and they get sick.

rockdale80
09-18-2007, 10:46 AM
fine, then take it to breathing.

Plenty of people go on vacation to places that they've never been and get very sick. "City" people get sick in the country all the time and "country" people get sick when they visit the city. The air content is different in the two places...someone from the country visiting the city breathes air pollution which would have some of the very same chemical properties as a meteorite could, and they get sick.

Well it did say strange odor. :rolleyes:
I am not saying it is or it isnt. I dont know, but I am not going to chalk it up to nothing when it is possible. And that instantly? Come on. Think about it. Not saying it is extraterrestial life, because it could be other things, but there is certainly something there.

crzyjournalist03
09-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Well it did say strange odor. :rolleyes:
I am not saying it is or it isnt. I dont know, but I am not going to chalk it up to nothing when it is possible. And that instantly? Come on. Think about it. Not saying it is extraterrestial life, because it could be other things, but there is certainly something there.

Possible? Yes...but I can think of a hundred things that are more likely...heck...I'd figure it was a Korean nuke test gone bad before I'd expect that extraterrestrial beings were making humans sick.

vet93
09-18-2007, 10:51 AM
There are many noxious fumes that can cause vomiting and headaches including many household cleaning supplies if subjected to high temperatures or aerosolized. This proves absolutely nothing. Inject into this picture a population that is superstitious and uneducated and you have a recipe for hysteria which magnifies a problem like this and makes it worse due to the psychological effects of fear. I would not read into this more than that at this point. Anecdotal evidence and the testimony of the "locals" is hardly evidence of alien organiz matter...

rockdale80
09-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by vet93
There are many noxious fumes that can cause vomiting and headaches including many household cleaning supplies if subjected to high temperatures or aerosolized. This proves absolutely nothing. Inject into this picture a population that is superstitious and uneducated and you have a recipe for hysteria which magnifies a problem like this and makes it worse due to the psychological effects of fear. I would not read into this more than that at this point. Anecdotal evidence and the testimony of the "locals" is hardly evidence of alien organiz matter...

Who said there were martians walking around? And where did they get household cleaning supplies to put on a meteor? And if there arent people in outer space, then why did they want to send us a clean meteor? Just saying that regardless of there was any extraterrestial life involved, there could be new elemants, etc, that can be discovered.

burnet44
09-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Not with me. This is NOT a subject we need to explore on this board.

derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
its a football board
maybe there is an alien football league?
AFL lol

Darren
09-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Sounds like an interesting story none the less.

It will be interesting to hear what research on the site unveils.

rockdale80
09-18-2007, 10:58 AM
not at all...if anything, it would only enhance it.

How is that? Pm the reply so this thread doesnt get closed. I am interested to hear. Not saying I think it does, just listening to opinions.

crzyjournalist03
09-18-2007, 10:59 AM
And if there arent people in outer space, then why did they want to send us a clean meteor?

LOL...that's the funniest sentence I've read all day! :thumbsup:

luvhoops34
09-18-2007, 11:00 AM

Thanks for an educated answer.:D

GoStafford
09-18-2007, 11:51 AM
peruvians don't have the same immune system as us

BobcatBenny
09-18-2007, 11:58 AM
If you were to rank the possibilities of what caused the illness, biological from outer space probably would not even make the list.

- Chemical from outer space
- Chemical from Earth
- Radiation from outer space
- Radiation from Earth
- Psychological
- Magnetism
- Gravitational (although this one seems unlikely because a very dense material would probably have such destructive force there would be no reports . . . but it is far more likely than biological from outer space)
- Sound
- Biological from Earth

These all would fall on my list before biological from outer space. . . . and that is not because I do not think there is life out there. I do not. But that is irrelevant to what would be likely cause of the illnesses.

rockdale80
09-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by GoStafford
peruvians don't have the same immune system as us

So if it was something that Americans are immune to, then how many viruses/bacteria come from outer space and make peruvians sick that quickly. Saying it from immunities is agreeing that it brought life with it from another planet.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-18-2007, 12:30 PM
I feel sorry for some of you people. At least my mom was generous enough to buy me comic books as a kid.

I didn't say it was definitely that, only that if it were bacterial it would prove that there is extraterrestrial life, and I would much rather quarantine the area than have an epidemic on our hands that goes around and kills people because they are too, oh, what's that word? Oh yeah, pressumptious. (What I'm thinking and what I type are usually two different things.)

pirate4state
09-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Who said there were martians walking around? And where did they get household cleaning supplies to put on a meteor? And if there arent people in outer space, then why did they want to send us a clean meteor? Just saying that regardless of there was any extraterrestial life involved, there could be new elemants, etc, that can be discovered.

LMAO!!!

vet93
09-18-2007, 01:14 PM
I always had a sneaking suscpicion that Mr. Clean was of alien descent...now that you have brought out this point...you just might be on to something....:thinking:

AP Panther Fan
09-18-2007, 01:16 PM
I always had a sneaking suscpicion that Mr. Clean was of alien descent...now that you have brought out this point...you just might be on to something....:thinking:

Boy, you aren't kidding....I have always thought he was creepy looking.:thinking:

BobcatBenny
09-18-2007, 09:25 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,297145,00.html

A fair and balanced view. :D

GoStafford
09-18-2007, 10:15 PM
could it be that some dirt was just stired up

necks_c/09
09-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END

This is kinda crazy. If the illness came from that rock, that proves there is extraterrestrial life....Your thoughts? yeah im with rm......

how does this prove that there is alien life?

all it proves is that theres something on that meteorite that makes people sick.....

"hence the odor"

were not seeing eye to eye on this