View Full Version : Tank Johnson is going to be a COWBOY

KTA
09-18-2007, 01:03 AM
Suspended tackle says he expects to play for Dallas

By Ed Werder
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: September 18, 2007, 1:15 AM ET

Tank Johnson said Monday night he expects to play for the Dallas Cowboys upon returning from his eight-game NFL suspension.

"I'm here to work some things out. I'm looking here for a fresh start," Johnson said when reached in his room at the hotel where the Cowboys stay before home games.

Earlier on Monday, a high-ranking team source said there have been lengthy discussions among members of the team's coaching staff and owner Jerry Jones about Johnson's off-field problems and his playing ability.

The Cowboys or any team would be able to sign Johnson during his suspension but he cannot work out or have contact with a team until he serves his suspension in its entirety.

Although Johnson has never played nose tackle, Phillips has extolled the flexibility of his 3-4 defensive scheme to accommodate players of different sizes and styles. The Cowboys lost starter Jason Ferguson for the season when the nose tackle suffered a torn right biceps tendon in Dallas' season-opening win against the Giants.

Johnson was waived by the Chicago Bears on June 25, three days after he was stopped by police in Arizona driving 40 mph in a 25-mph zone. Johnson was not charged with any crime. He was suspended by the league for violating probation on a gun charge that stemmed from a raid on his home. Johnson began serving a two-month jail term in March.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3025073

Old Tiger
09-18-2007, 01:06 AM
There was no need to release him after a speeding ticket. He had registered guns so this is a great pick up for the Cowboys

KTA
09-18-2007, 01:12 AM
This is HUGE

injuredinmelee
09-18-2007, 01:19 AM
they should sign some secondary help instead. Once the Boys get to the meaty part of their schedule they arent going to be able to outscore everyone. The other defenses will soon figure out how to slow them down and then what will happen?

KTA
09-18-2007, 01:26 AM
I half agree, they needed this...but some help in the secondary wouldnt hurt either....the main thing is who else is left out there to sign? We never should of let Aaron Glenn go...he wasnt great, but he better then J. Reeves

IHStangFan
09-18-2007, 02:17 AM
another thug....he'll fit in just fine. :rolleyes:

NDFootball
09-18-2007, 02:43 AM
Better him than Pacman

IHStangFan
09-18-2007, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by NDFootball
Better him than Pacman mark my words...if the Titans cut him...Jones will be interested in him. Write it down.

3afan
09-18-2007, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
another thug....he'll fit in just fine. :rolleyes:

if "your team" was going to make this move you would applaud it :cool:

Txbroadcaster
09-18-2007, 07:27 AM
Dont overlook the fact they bring him in the week they play the Bears...Bet they are picking his brain about the D, the line calls, and those type of things

TheDOCTORdre
09-18-2007, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Dont overlook the fact they bring him in the week they play the Bears...Bet they are picking his brain about the D, the line calls, and those type of things

good call, I didnt even think about that

burnet44
09-18-2007, 07:29 AM
Jerry will do anything

football4life
09-18-2007, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
Jerry will do anything

to win, which is what i want to see.

charlesrixey
09-18-2007, 07:59 AM
yeah well,

they said the same thing about T O but he hasn't successfully done anything stupid yet, and he's given 20 touchdowns to the cause

BILLYFRED0000
09-18-2007, 08:00 AM
I thought the Bears should not have cut him. It was a little bad publicity but he did really nothing wrong specially compared to pacman or vick. I was brought up with guns and always have something around the house. Tank may be a little hungry and just might be a good pick up.

VanKampen
09-18-2007, 09:53 AM
people call him a thug because he has guns at his house? then i guess every white person in texas is a thug too. quit being racist

crzyjournalist03
09-18-2007, 10:24 AM
no, he is called a thug because of the TYPE of guns that were in his house...he had several illegal mafia-type guns that aren't made or allowed in the US...

With that said, he has served his time, and if Ray Lewis was allowed to play again, then why not Tank????

pirate4state
09-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
With that said, he has served his time, and if Ray Lewis was allowed to play again, then why not Tank????

AMEN!!!!

burnet44
09-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Ray Lewis was allowed to play again, then why not Tank????

Ray was innocent
ask the family in Atlanta

crzyjournalist03
09-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
Ray was innocent
ask the family in Atlanta

fine...then how about Jamal Lewis?

Txbroadcaster
09-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Yea Ray was so innocent he paid out the backend to the familys to settle a civi case

luvhoops34
09-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Yea Ray was so innocent he paid out the backend to the familys to settle a civi case

good point:)

burnet44
09-18-2007, 11:03 AM
I was kidding

look IF they can play
SOMEONE will pick em up

Al just like Jerry

Sweetwater Red
09-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
yeah well,

they said the same thing about T O but he hasn't successfully done anything stupid yet, and he's given 20 touchdowns to the cause

Uhhhh...accidental overdose...:thinking:

Having your publicist get on national television basically saying
your contract is your primary reason for living....:thinking:

crzyjournalist03
09-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

key word...accidental

publicist-fired...

Txbroadcaster
09-18-2007, 12:33 PM

Seeing as they found the rest of the pain pills and he had only taken two..I dont think that is to much of a suicide attempt

Sweetwater Red
09-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Seeing as they found the rest of the pain pills and he had only taken two..I dont think that is to much of a suicide attempt

I know. I was just poking fun. You have to take your shots
when you can being a Detroit Lions fan.:D

Txbroadcaster
09-18-2007, 12:39 PM
I know. I was just poking fun. You have to take your shots
when you can being a Detroit Lions fan.:D

Hey now..God is cheering for them with that "miracle" he gave John Kitna

crzyjournalist03
09-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Hey now..God is cheering for them with that "miracle" he gave John Kitna

lol...did you see the quote by the third string QB about Kitna? I can't remember it word-for-word, but this is pretty close:

"Indy can have their Peyton Manning and New England can have their Tom Brady, but we wouldn't trade Kitna for anything in the world!"

Txbroadcaster
09-18-2007, 12:44 PM
lol...did you see the quote by the third string QB about Kitna? I can't remember it word-for-word, but this is pretty close:

"Indy can have their Peyton Manning and New England can have their Tom Brady, but we wouldn't trade Kitna for anything in the world!"

Of course he will say that..With Kitna starting he has a chance to see the field..With Manning or Brady, Orvalasky would never see the field

Sweetwater Red
09-18-2007, 12:46 PM

I don't remember if it was a coach or player but they said...
"If I'm walking down a dark alley I'd want Kitna with me".

Sweetwater Red
09-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Of course he will say that..With Kitna starting he has a chance to see the field..With Manning or Brady, Orvalasky would never see the field

:clap:

IHStangFan
09-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
if "your team" was going to make this move you would applaud it :cool: OH...you know me so well. :rolleyes:

Maroon87
09-18-2007, 01:03 PM
They need to bring back the "white house." They haven't been any good since they shut that sucker down...:p

Old Tiger
09-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Yea Ray was so innocent he paid out the backend to the familys to settle a civi case When they can't prosecute in criminal cases almost all trials go to civil cases.

burnet44
09-18-2007, 03:20 PM
looks done

Dallas gives Johnson opportunity to resume career
By John Clayton

Defensive tackle Tank Johnson, who currently is serving an eight-game NFL suspension, reached a two-year agreement with the Dallas Cowboys on Tuesday afternoon that will enable him to resurrect his career.

Terms of the deal were not available but the agreement was reached 10 minutes before a deadline imposed by the Cowboys.

Johnson visited team officials Monday night and hoped to have a deal in place by Tuesday afternoon. Although it is unclear what he can do between now and when he is reinstated by the NFL, the former Chicago Bear at least has a future employer.

Johnson is expected to serve the entirety of his eight-game suspension, although he had the possibility of being able to play after six games if he stayed out of trouble. He was arrested in Phoenix in May for driving while impaired. Although his alcohol level wasn't at an illegal level, the fact he was out late at night and had a few drinks probably is enough for commissioner Roger Goodell not to reduce the suspension.

Once the Bears learned of the May incident, Johnson was immediately released.

Johnson will have a half-season to learn the Cowboys' nose tackle position, as starter Jason Ferguson suffered a season-ending biceps injury in Dallas' season-opening win over the Giants.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

Gobbler Fan
09-18-2007, 03:24 PM
I don't remember if it was a coach or player but they said...
"If I'm walking down a dark alley I'd want Kitna with me".

Maybe they knew they could outrun him ...:thinking:

Sweetwater Red
09-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Maybe they knew they could outrun him ...:thinking:

:clap: :D :clap:

piratebg
09-19-2007, 07:19 AM
This could be a big steal for the Cowboys. Hopefully he works out for them and stays out of trouble.

3afan
09-19-2007, 07:26 AM
i listened/read alot yesterday about this --- all the "experts" think this is a great move by the cowboys ... there is even a chance the suspension could be reduced to 6 games instead of 8 ... he is signed for a pro-rated veteran minimum so $ wise its no risk for the team

as far as tank's off the field problems ... i heard/read that on the field, in the clubhouse - he was a model player/person ........ he literally got involved with the wrong people and we all saw the result ...... the move out of chicago will only be good ... his bears teammates and coaches loved the guy

so, hopefully tank takes advantage of this second chance

BILLYFRED0000
09-19-2007, 07:48 AM
Yes that is why I like the guy. His teammates like him. That is about the best compliment a ball player can get is his coaches and teammates like him. They also think he can play. Dallas may have stolen one.