PDA

View Full Version : This was refreshing to see

Buckeye80
09-17-2007, 04:17 PM
In Friday night's victory over Daingerfield, I saw Gilmer head coach Jeff Traylor do something that you rarely see anymore at any level of football.
In the second quarter of the game, Buckeye receiver Houston Tuminello made a beautiful reception for a touchdown over a Daingerfield player who had fallen down making a play on the ball. Upon scoring, Tuminello stared down at the fallen defender and continued to stare down at him as he walked out of the endzone, as if mocking him for failing to make the play. He was warned about taunting by the official standing nearby, but that was only the beginning.
Jeff Traylor, watching the entire play unfold, ran down the sideline and intercepted Tuminello as he approached the rest of the team and launched a verbal assault into this kid for the better part of 15 minutes. He sat Tuminello out for the next offensive series and continued his barrage until he felt that he had made his point. There is no place for that kind of attitude on the Buckeyes.
I love it. Get 'em Jeff!

zebrablue2
09-17-2007, 04:22 PM
great job by the coach.

pirate4state
09-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
In Friday night's victory over Daingerfield, I saw Gilmer head coach Jeff Traylor do something that you rarely see anymore at any level of football.
In the second quarter of the game, Buckeye receiver Houston Tuminello made a beautiful reception for a touchdown over a Daingerfield player who had fallen down making a play on the ball. Upon scoring, Tuminello stared down at the fallen defender and continued to stare down at him as he walked out of the endzone, as if mocking him for failing to make the play. He was warned about taunting by the official standing nearby, but that was only the beginning.
Jeff Traylor, watching the entire play unfold, ran down the sideline and intercepted Tuminello as he approached the rest of the team and launched a verbal assault into this kid for the better part of 15 minutes. He sat Tuminello out for the next offensive series and continued his barrage until he felt that he had made his point. There is no place for that kind of attitude on the Buckeyes.
I love it. Get 'em Jeff!

Nice story. That attitude has no place on ANY team! :)

Adidas410s
09-17-2007, 04:39 PM
good job...now maybe he should've denied the transfer to Gilmer as well! ;);)

Buckeye80
09-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
good job...now maybe he should've denied the transfer to Gilmer as well! ;);)

That kid is incredibly talented! He is an asset to any team and should go on to play college ball somewhere.
But when he played for Canton when they beat us in '05, he was a punk! I had hoped that the attitude wouldn't rear its ugly head at Gilmer, but it did. I think he will be able to move past it and just play ball from now on. Jeff Traylor is a helluva motivator.

3afan
09-17-2007, 06:07 PM
i would have loved to hear exactly what the coach said to him

lostaussie
09-17-2007, 07:34 PM
now i hate i skipped the game:doh:

Buckeye80
09-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
now i hate i skipped the game:doh:

The thing is that nobody really paid attention to it except for me. Maybe I was just waiting for it to happen, but it didn't lessen the pride I felt in our coach after watching it. I think alot of kids nowadays need the old "verbal foot" in their backside to bring them down to earth a little.

icu812
09-18-2007, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
But when he played for Canton when they beat us in '05, he was a punk!

Yes he was and is. Was never taught to act any better, that whole Canton team just followed their leader Coach Kinne. Sounds like he now has a real leader to follow.

Buckeye80
09-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by icu812
Yes he was and is. Was never taught to act any better, that whole Canton team just followed their leader Coach Kinne. Sounds like he now has a real leader to follow.

Gary Joe Kinne was in no way fit to be leading high school kids doing anything! He was a hothead who congratulated players on unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. It's a travesty that he received "coach of the year" honors just because he was shot. They couldn't have picked a worse candidate to win.

scott Wilson
09-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I don`t get it these days with kids and their attitudes. Coaching the 5th and 6th graders I am astounded by the attitudes some of these kids have. I make em run as much as possible , but that doesn`t do much to deter them. Most of the kids are well behaved, good attitude kids, but the better players think just like that. That they are above everyone else including the coach and the team. Any suggestions other than the usual chewing out and extra running and up downs? Also, remember this is a "pay" to play league and mommy and daddy will be in my ear if Little Johnny doesn`t play his allotted time.

RedWhiteBlue
09-20-2007, 10:00 AM
I think people (coaches) sometimes are afraid to say something or do anything.... but truth is, it is their program. If you want crud on your field you can sure have it because they will all come out in August.

Buckeye80
09-21-2007, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
I think people (coaches) sometimes are afraid to say something or do anything.... but truth is, it is their program. If you want crud on your field you can sure have it because they will all come out in August.

And why is there no crud on the field in Gilmer? See original comment.:D