PDA

View Full Version : Two sidenotes on the NWM/SLC game

BullFrog Dad
09-17-2007, 07:28 AM
The game wasn't available on my cable package so I listened to it on ESPN radio. First one was an interview with SLC's principal during the pre-game and he has PHD. Most superintendants have PHDs but that's the first public school principal I've heard of. Second one was the running of a Miller Lite commercial during the broadcast. Thought that was a strange sponser for a HS game but I guess anyone's money is good. Maybe if they play again next year a deal will be cut with Trojan and Zig-Zag!

3afan
09-17-2007, 07:54 AM
i dont think there are any restrictions on what type of advertising HS games can have - obviously - at least over the airways

beer $ is just as good as Nike $

rockdale80
09-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
The game wasn't available on my cable package so I listened to it on ESPN radio. First one was an interview with SLC's principal during the pre-game and he has PHD. Most superintendants have PHDs but that's the first public school principal I've heard of. Second one was the running of a Miller Lite commercial during the broadcast. Thought that was a strange sponser for a HS game but I guess anyone's money is good. Maybe if they play again next year a deal will be cut with Trojan and Zig-Zag!

Our principal, and VP had one when I was in school.

Txbroadcaster
09-17-2007, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
i dont think there are any restrictions on what type of advertising HS games can have - obviously - at least over the airways

beer $ is just as good as Nike $

actually there is supposed to be..so not sure how they got away with that

3afan
09-17-2007, 09:42 AM
really - i can see how they can restrict advertising inside a facility but not in a broadcast ..... but i guess it makes sense

charlesrixey
09-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
actually there is supposed to be..so not sure how they got away with that

i'm pretty sure ESPN has control over its own commercials from its radio stations

crzyjournalist03
09-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
i'm pretty sure ESPN has control over its own commercials from its radio stations

correct...there are three minutes of spots per hour that MUST be played as mandated by ESPN Radio. During football games, beer commercials are usually allowed, but no hard liquor ads...I'm guessing that's how the miller spot got in.

Txbroadcaster
09-17-2007, 12:27 PM
This is what is an agreement to broadcast a game

This privilege is granted on the following conditions:
1) There shall be no political announcements or advertising of liquor, malt spirits, or tobacco during the
broadcast.

ot sure if Malt Spirits is beer or just the harder stuff

crzyjournalist03
09-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
This is what is an agreement to broadcast a game

This privilege is granted on the following conditions:
1) There shall be no political announcements or advertising of liquor, malt spirits, or tobacco during the
broadcast.

ot sure if Malt Spirits is beer or just the harder stuff

I read several of these in my time there...on some of them, there is a diclaimer at the bottom which explains that beer is not considered a liquor or malt spirit.

I'm not sure if it was supposed to be different for high school, but I wouldn't think that it was considering that the audience is most likely to be parents and fans. The commercials aren't directed at the players, so I'm guessing that's why it wasn't wrong...

or it could have been wrong and someone accidentally hit the wrong button that played a wrong spot...that's happened before too...

Txbroadcaster
09-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I read several of these in my time there...on some of them, there is a diclaimer at the bottom which explains that beer is not considered a liquor or malt spirit.

I'm not sure if it was supposed to be different for high school, but I wouldn't think that it was considering that the audience is most likely to be parents and fans. The commercials aren't directed at the players, so I'm guessing that's why it wasn't wrong...

or it could have been wrong and someone accidentally hit the wrong button that played a wrong spot...that's happened before too...

Reasons is simply the UIL does not want to seem to condone drinking in anyway when it comes to teenagers