PDA

View Full Version : Is Colt McCoy over rated

KTA
09-16-2007, 06:07 PM
I say yes, I think alot of his success had to do with all those seniors around last year, especially on that offensive line. Im pulling for the guy, but I just dont think hes right for that system.

burnet44
09-16-2007, 06:08 PM
no
they are throwing it too much
ask Baylor derrrrrrrrrrr
you cant throw it 50 a night and win a lot

Txbroadcaster
09-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by KTA
I say yes, I think alot of his success had to do with all those seniors around last year, especially on that offensive line. Im pulling for the guy, but I just dont think hes right for that system.

I said last year I thought his season was better than his talents...not a knock on him at all, but I think teams did not gameplan to stop him

Now he is the main guy..I wont say he is overrated yet, I think we have to wait and see how he adjusts

NDFootball
09-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by KTA
I say yes, I think alot of his success had to do with all those seniors around last year, especially on that offensive line. Im pulling for the guy, but I just dont think hes right for that system. Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

that's what I said last year.

Old Tiger
09-16-2007, 06:10 PM
I think they need to implement a 2 QB system similar to florida to open up the offense more.

Txbroadcaster
09-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I think they need to implement a 2 QB system similar to florida to open up the offense more.

I think if HArris was healthy they would

charlesrixey
09-16-2007, 06:16 PM

not a horrible idea

chiles or harris coming in every once in a while wouldn't be so bad

however, this whole argument is a bit rediculous

if you exclude the k-state game where he was injured for most of it, McCoy is 13-2 as a starter (and he is a SOPHOMORE)

Name a sophomore QB that compares favorably

JR2004
09-16-2007, 06:17 PM
I'd like to see Colt succeed and build off of last season, but these first three games are leading me to believe that he might not be the guy for the next 2 and a half years.

Then again his OC is one of the worst in the country at calling plays. 47 throws and you wind up with 259 passing yards? Where in the Hee Seop Choi are the deep balls at?

I'm not feeling all that good about the game against Mobilehoma. They're destroying bad teams while UT is squeaked out 2 wins against bad teams and was in a deathmatch for almost 3 quarters with a team that couldn't beat Air Force.

NDFootball
09-16-2007, 06:18 PM

It also works so well because Urban Meyer is an amazing coach, they also don't do it anymore Tebow is the main guy now. Last time UT implemented a two QB system with Young/Mock it didn't turn out so well.

Old Tiger
09-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I think if HArris was healthy they would Speaking of...I heard he is back this week.

Old Tiger
09-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Oh ya I voted no. Colt isn't over-rated; Greg Davis is over-rated.

KTA
09-16-2007, 06:19 PM
I think if HArris was healthy they would

I wanna say I agree with that, but Texas' coaching staff suprises me though (not in a good way). Either way I think they are trying to save Chiles' redshirt any way possible.

necks_c/09
09-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
not a horrible idea

chiles or harris coming in every once in a while wouldn't be so bad

however, this whole argument is a bit rediculous

if you exclude the k-state game where he was injured for most of it, McCoy is 13-2 as a starter (and he is a SOPHOMORE)

Name a sophomore QB that compares favorably its just because he's the TEXAS LONGHORNS qb, and so much is expected of him because of tradition and it doesnt help that he is the successor to VY either

DU_stud04
09-16-2007, 06:22 PM
i wonder what #11 would look like with texas o-regins
:)

KTA
09-16-2007, 06:25 PM
its just because he's the TEXAS LONGHORNS qb, and so much is expected of him because of tradition and it doesnt help that he is the successor to VY either

Stat Overview Passing
YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
2006 217 318 2570 68.2 8.08 72 29 7 14 161.82
2007 79 118 721 66.9 6.11 38 4 5 3 120.99

No im pretty sure its the more picks then TD's throws thats making him look that way.

NDFootball
09-16-2007, 06:25 PM
It would be better for them to pick a QB and stick with him rather than play a different QB every series.

Point and case (at least at UT)

VY/Mock: Couldn't get over the hill

VY: Nat'l Championship

Emerson1
09-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by NDFootball
It would be better for them to pick a QB and stick with him rather than play a different QB every series.

There is a difference between not knowing who your starting QB and goto guy is, and bringing in Chiles to run the ball forward and have the occasional pass.

necks_c/09
09-16-2007, 06:27 PM

that has just a little to do with the supporting cast as well:)

NDFootball
09-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Texas has top recruits every year...

burnet44
09-16-2007, 06:32 PM
as I said the first quarter of the first game
the OL isnt good
better but still not good enough to beat Mobilehoma

zebrablue2
Oh ya I voted no. Colt isn't over-rated; Greg Davis is over-rated.

agreed-agreed-agreed.

KTA

No, Chance Mock couldnt get us over the hill, never would of thats why Vince took over.

i wonder what #11 would look like with texas o-regins

I dont know, how well does he know this system? He does have some wheels on him though dont he? That could help the effectivness of the zone read if he does

necks_c/09
09-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Texas has top recruits every year... if that made championships...texas would win the title every year.....

what im saying is..... they were much more experienced in 05 then lost quite a bit to the nfl

KTA
09-16-2007, 06:35 PM
what im saying is..... they were much more experienced in 05 then lost quite a bit to the nfl

If VY would of returned, they would of repeated as NC's.....even with that horrible D.

DU_stud04
09-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by KTA

I dont know, how well does he know this system? He does have some wheels on him though dont he? That could help the effectivness of the zone read if he does naw, i wouldnt think he would be ready just yet. give him a year or two and he ill be a good candidate.

necks_c/09
09-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by KTA
If VY would of returned, they would of repeated as NC's.....even with that horrible D. you could never know that.....

yeah VY was great, but you cant just say something like that....

they barely beat USC with the greatest defense to ever play for texas, so how do u expect them to win it the next year with a terrible D?

Emerson1
09-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by necks_c/09
you could never know that.....

yeah VY was great, but you cant just say something like that....

they barely beat USC with the greatest defense to ever play for texas, so how do u expect them to win it the next year with a terrible D?
Because no team the next year was anywhere near the level of Texas or USC in 05.

NDFootball
09-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by KTA
No, Chance Mock couldnt get us over the hill, never would of thats why Vince took over.

Ok then, what happens if they decide to use the two QB system again and the other kid does ok? They end up in the same situation as a few years ago.

necks_c/09
Originally posted by Emerson1
Because no team the next year was anywhere near the level of Texas or USC in 05. true that, but im just saying you cant say something like that and expect it to have merit.....

zebrablue2
Originally posted by KTA
If VY would of returned, they would of repeated as NC's.....even with that horrible D.

maybe, but winning two in a row is not a easy task, even with VY.
everything has to come together just right. heck, winning that one was a last second thing. I know the texans are 2-0, but I still wish young was a texan.

necks_c/09
09-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
maybe, but winning two in a row is not a easy task, even with VY.
everything has to come together just right. heck, winning that one was a last second thing. I know the texans are 2-0, but I still wish young was a texan. yea thats like saying if the texans would have drafted young we would have won the super bowl

burnet44
09-16-2007, 06:43 PM
yea thats like saying if the texans would have drafted young we would have won the super bowl

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
NO

KTA
09-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Because no team the next year was anywhere near the level of Texas or USC in 05.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ok then, what happens if they decide to use the two QB system again and the other kid does ok? They end up in the same situation as a few years ago.

Well they havent tried it yet have they? What kinda merit does that hold, let me guess you tried it out on ncaa 07?

true that, but im just saying you cant say something like that and expect it to have merit.....

Look what Vince has done to the sorry as can be Titans, hes a winner and makes everybody around him better. With Texas being able to score on will. What game did we just get blow away by last year? NONE.....So you dont think VY is atleast a 14 point difference? Ok then

yea thats like saying if the texans would have drafted young we would have won the super bowl

No, but they sure as h e double hocky stick would of been alot better then they were...look what Schaub has done for them so far!

Txbroadcaster
09-16-2007, 06:50 PM
In one calender year Colt has gone from

Being a RS freshman who is just going to be a caretaker to now being a guy people are saying he is overrated because he is not at this point having a Heisman like year.

KTA
09-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Being a RS freshman who is just going to be a caretaker to now being a guy people are saying he is overrated because he is not at this point having a Heisman like year.

He doesnt have that same SR O-line blocking for his butt either. He could get away with holding the ball a lil to long last year, this year that is not an option, and its hurting him. Same thing running the zone read. Last year the line could make blocks, so even if they keyed selvin or charles they could get a few yards out of it. McCoy isnt going to beat anybody with his feet and is not a threat running the zone read. This year those holes are not there and all a good d-cord has to do is spy the Rb, and make McCoy beat him with his feet.....which he cant. I guess im the only one who notices this, but when they run the zone NOBODY runs towards McCoy.

pirate4state
09-16-2007, 07:29 PM
I just have to say that this thread was an enjoyable read!! :thumbsup: Why can't they ALL be like this? ;)

zebrablue2
09-16-2007, 08:47 PM

3 to 5 years down the road, it could have been possible. VY is a great player.

b_smith07
09-16-2007, 08:50 PM
At Texas that will never work. Remember the Chris Simms/ Major Applewhite battle? It never works out at Austin, it's better if they just stick with one qb imo

Old Tiger
09-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by b_smith07
At Texas that will never work. Remember the Chris Simms/ Major Applewhite battle? It never works out at Austin, it's better if they just stick with one qb imo They were two similar QB's. You let the more mobile quarterback know his role and learn it and it will work as it did in Florida.

raider red 2000
09-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

Name a sophomore QB that compares favorably

TIM TEEBOW (sp)

granted he didnt get as much PT as McCoy last year...but I would take Teebow over McCoy.

injuredinmelee
09-16-2007, 09:09 PM
my thoughts are this:

NO ONE WILL BE SUCCESSFUL (except Vince Young) in a Greg Davis system that utilizes so many zone read plays. THere is no other threat in the backfield to take off running besides Charles or whatever other running back they want to plug in there. It is my opinion that it is the lack of a running game that is hurting McCoy this season.

raider red 2000
09-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
my thoughts are this:

NO ONE WILL BE SUCCESSFUL (except Vince Young) in a Greg Davis system that utilizes so many zone read plays. THere is no other threat in the backfield to take off running besides Charles or whatever other running back they want to plug in there. It is my opinion that it is the lack of a running game that is hurting McCoy this season.

your thought about the lack of running game...might be right on.

Heck TECH has 3 more rushing TD's than UT has.

LH Panther Mom
09-16-2007, 09:21 PM
I don't know what kind of 2-QB system Florida has, but I do remember all too well the last debacle UT had. Can you say Chance Mock and VY OR Chrissy & Major? :doh: :doh:

I'll admit right now. I have not watched a single UT game this season. But I read & watch enough Longhorn news stuff, that I have a clue at least. Quite possibly the injuries and other reasons for missing starting OL is contributing to some of the lack of success. Or maybe, he's just not the guy to get the job done.

KTA
09-16-2007, 09:27 PM

So your telling me that having a player like Harris or Chiles back there wouldnt ammount to another running threat? Thus opening up the zone read? I would say McCoy proves to be more of a threat in the passing game, but he has yet to prove that this season. So what do you do? Leave McCoy in there and watch him struggle and have no running game, or put a mobile Qb back there that opens your running game up...which leads to the passing game being open (sure nothing in big chunks, but VY made it work with his connection with david thomas....why cant harris or chiles do the same with finley?) I know neither one will probably turn out to be Vince 2.0, but you have got to have some running threat from the qb position for this offense to work.

KTA
09-16-2007, 09:31 PM
also, look at the QB evaluations Texas has done in the Greg Davis era

Simms over Applewhite:rolleyes:
Mock over Young.....Young had to just out right prove them wrong before they actully even considered starting him. Dont act like yall dont remember VY's soph year before he pulled us out of the K-state game

raider red 2000
09-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by KTA
So your telling me that having a player like Harris or Chiles back there wouldnt ammount to another running threat? Thus opening up the zone read? I would say McCoy proves to be more of a threat in the passing game, but he has yet to prove that this season. So what do you do? Leave McCoy in there and watch him struggle and have no running game, or put a mobile Qb back there that opens your running game up...which leads to the passing game being open (sure nothing in big chunks, but VY made it work with his connection with david thomas....why cant harris or chiles do the same with finley?) I know neither one will probably turn out to be Vince 2.0, but you have got to have some running threat from the qb position for this offense to work.

that or just commit to the pass like Hawaii.

UT will still win like 9 games or so...end up in the top 15 and people will complain that they underachieved.

Old Tiger
09-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000

UT will still win like 9 games or so...end up in the top 15 and people will complain that they underachieved. That's just the type of high expectations we have for UT

BuffyMars
09-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Texas is averaging 175 yards on the ground per game..so it is not like the running game is terrible..just not putting it in when they are in the redzone

Colt has not had a 100% healthy Sweed..or Pittman, plus new OL..so lets see how he plays with his whole WR corp before we decide he is not playing well

raider red 2000
09-16-2007, 09:36 PM
That's just the type of high expectations we have for UT

yep....funny thing....ATM has expectations like that....but cant reach them.

Tech wins 10 games....and we will rename Lubbock after Leach Town :)

BILLYFRED0000
09-16-2007, 10:07 PM
yep....funny thing....ATM has expectations like that....but cant reach them.

Tech wins 10 games....and we will rename Lubbock after Leach Town :)

Isn't that the truth.

No Mccoy is not overrated. He is not VY and that is what people want to see. Forget that. Colt is an average runner but an excellent thrower. His O line needs to play better and he needs healthy receivers. UT is not doing that bad on O.
Their D could not catch a cold.

raider red 2000
09-16-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Isn't that the truth.

No Mccoy is not overrated. He is not VY and that is what people want to see. Forget that. Colt is an average runner but an excellent thrower. His O line needs to play better and he needs healthy receivers. UT is not doing that bad on O.
Their D could not catch a cold.

I hope that D is bad against TECH...i doubt TECH can stop Colt and that Horns.

b_smith07
09-16-2007, 10:24 PM
I hope that D is bad against TECH...i doubt TECH can stop Colt and that Horns.
I dunno bout that bro, I mean yeah if our d comes out with their head up their a** like the last two games we will get donkey stomped, but if our d can play 4 solid quarters and our offense just show up then I think we have a legit chance to win it. It'll be a tough one though, that's for sure.

KTA
09-16-2007, 11:37 PM

yeah, but how accurate is McCoys arm 40+ times game? Especially with the lack of stability on the O-line. Im not knocking it, im just saying McCoy was the 14th rated QB coming out of high school....that's not saying much considering that Colt Brennan was rated 23, and Chase Daniel 26, but they have proved there worth with their respected teams. Seriously how good of a fit do you think he would be at a school like Tech, or Hawaii?

If you think about it, he broke a lot of records at a small 2A school...but never faced REAL competition. Then we he came to Texas he was sheltered under that O-line they had last year, how many yards do you think Chase Daniel would of passed for in our system with that O-line last year? Do yall really think that McCoy would of beat out Daniel for the starting spot?....serious (take off the burnt orange colored shades if you really think so). If you look at what both have accomplished so far in there careers its not even close. Daniels is the key to the mizzou O, McCoy is the hotwire that just gets you by.

Texas is averaging 175 yards on the ground per game..so it is not like the running game is terrible..just not putting it in when they are in the redzone

Are you serious!!!

Look at who they have played

Arkansas State NET YARDS RUSHING 117
TCU NET YARDS RUSHING 176
UCF NET YARDS RUSHING 229

Technically that's 174 yards per a game against CRAP. Do you really think that if they played OU, Nebraska, and Texas A&M those numbers would be the same? WRONG!!! TCU is the only respectable team on there and they got beat by ARMY!!!...yes ARMY.

Arkansas state allowed 304 yards RUSHING AGAINST SMU!!!!
TCU allowed BAYLOR to rush for 127 yards.
TCU ALSO allowed ARMY rush for 315 yards
UCF allowed North Carolina state to rush for 332 yards

Still don't think we have a problem in the running game?

Its not just in the red zone, its out entire running attack....but lets take a close look at this.

Jamals longest run against arky state was 15 yards!!!
Jamals longest run against TCU was 39 yards, you take that 1 run away and he rushes for 95 yards.
Jamals longest run against UCF was 46 yards, with out that he only rushes for 107 yards.

we are in a serious need of a running game, running the zone read is only going to keep on killing us until we get another threat back there to get all the eyes off of Charles.

Colt is an average runner but an excellent thrower.

Average runner? Well and AVERAGE runner is NOT a threat in this offense, and I wouldn't even call him an average runner at that. When Colt runs he averages 3.86 yards per carry. Man that's off the charts....consider the D is keying in on Charles as well. So lets take an AVERAGE runner lets say oooo Chase Daniel. He's averaging 4.0 yards per carry without a legit running threat like Jamal. Different situation? ok then lets take an average runner like Stephen McGee he has TWO legit running threats one running for 5.6 yards per carry, and the other for 4.1. He's averaging 9.1 yards per a carry. Mcgee has 26 rushing attempts to Colts 22 attempts. And oh wait, Colt runs a offense where the quarter back actually has to be a RUNNING threat...wow that's freaking amazing :rolleyes: .

Lets get to the excellent thrower part.

With the beefed up senior stacked o-line McCoy's stats

CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
217 318 2570 68.2 8.08 72 29 7 14 161.82

Without the stacked line

79 118 721 66.9 6.11 38 4 5 3 120.99....and the year aint over with yet!!!

Lets see the numbers of the other big 12 QB's

.......................YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

Sam Bradford....07 59 74 823 79.7 11.12 65 11 1 2 219.51
Todd Reesing ...07 49 87 831 56.3 9.55 66 10 0 5 174.49
Graham Harrell..07 120 160 1317 75.0 8.23 74 14 2 1 170.52
Chase Daniel.....07 95 142 1017 66.9 7.16 40 10 2 5 147.49
Blake Szymanski 07 82 143 1039 57.3 7.27 44 11 5 4 136.77
Zac Robinson ....07 33 58 446 56.9 7.69 77 4 3 1 133.91
Sam Keller .........07 74 120 840 61.7 7.00 30 4 5 2 123.13
Colt McCoy.........07 79 118 721 66.9 6.11 38 4 5 3 120.99
Josh Freeman ....07 83 132 827 62.9 6.27 61 2 4 2 114.45
Bret Meyer ........07 62 95 560 65.3 5.90 38 1 4 2 109.83
Stephen McGee .07 42 77 428 54.5 5.56 33 2 1 2 107.21
Cody Hawkins ...07 68 127 669 53.5 5.27 38 4 4 4 101.89

Looks to me like he's a lil below average in his own conference, much less a top QB in the country....PLUS his opponents have been TRASH

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-16-2007, 11:43 PM
I say no, and let me tell you why: (That was my attempt to sound like Corso ;)) True, he did have a phenomenal year last year, but at the same time, he lost a lot of the guys around him. If you were to say that they were the reason that he looked as great as he did, then how do you guys feel about Vince Young? Just using that as an example, nothing more. He is fundamentally sound and has great athleticism, the only thing is that the team is youthful and there are going to be a lot of mistakes made. You shouldn't put his head on the chopping block simply because of that. One person alone can't determine the success or failure of a team, but he had a very large part to do with it last year and will do so again this year. Don't back out on him just yet, he's a great player and will vindicate me very soon.

KTA
09-16-2007, 11:49 PM
hey your and aggie, your opinion dont count!!!:p

Really though im guessing you didnt read my last post

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-17-2007, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by KTA
hey your and aggie, your opinion dont count!!!:p

Really though im guessing you didnt read my last post

I didn't need to in order to make my deductions. Those numbers look cool and all, but they're just numbers. Look at what he does on the field (not the numbers aspect, but the leadership, intangibles, big plays that won't make it to the stat sheet) and then draw conclusions. The guy is a great quarterback, regardless of what those number say.

KTA
09-17-2007, 12:52 AM
The guy is a great quarterback, regardless of what those number say

So McGee isnt better then McCoy? ( I want an answer)

Chase Daniel isnt better then McCoy? (You say yes to this one your crazy)

So your saying Oklahoma would rather have McCoy then Sam Bradford.....I VERY seriously doubt that.

Point proven, hes not even the best QB in the big 12 much less the nation

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-17-2007, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by KTA

So your saying Oklahoma would rather have McCoy then Sam Bradford.....I VERY seriously doubt that.

McGee is better in certain aspects of the game than McCoy is, and I wouldn't want to play for any other quarterback in the nation at any level. No, I don't think that Daniel is better than McCoy. I don't think that Sam Bradford is better than McCoy either. I think that McGee is the best quarterback in the nation simply because he's my teammate and I have that kind of faith in him. McCoy is a great quarterback, just give him time.

KTA
09-17-2007, 01:21 AM
No, I don't think that Daniel is better than McCoy.

Yeah hes hasnt proved anything in his career, compaired to McCoy:rolleyes: Hes single handly rewriting the Mizzou record books....and im not even going to mention his HS career.

I think that McGee is the best quarterback in the nation simply because he's my teammate and I have that kind of faith in him.

Im sorry, did you say nation?....Im VERY sorry

McCoy is a great quarterback, just give him time

Time for what? He is not ment for this offense...period

injuredinmelee
09-17-2007, 01:26 AM
instead of the field Texas fans need to be looking to the coaches box upstairs on who to blame and run out of town. I hate Greg Davis with every ounce of my being (go ahead smart alecks say it.. thats a lot of ounces).

KTA
09-17-2007, 01:50 AM
lol, I agree with you.....on both accounts :p

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-17-2007, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by KTA
Yeah hes hasnt proved anything in his career, compaired to McCoy:rolleyes: Hes single handly rewriting the Mizzou record books....and im not even going to mention his HS career.

Im sorry, did you say nation?....Im VERY sorry

Time for what? He is not ment for this offense...period

That's fine that you feel that way, I'm not criticizing you for thinking what you do, but don't try to take pity on me for the way I feel. Yes, I said in the nation at any level, HS, Collegiate, or Professional. There is a lot more to McGee than the numbers you look at and until you're in the locker room with him and go to war with him, then you won't understand and I don't expect you to. He's the best teammate that anyone could ask for and puts it all on the line every time he puts his helmet on.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-17-2007, 01:53 AM
Also, it's the coaches' faults for not adjusting the offense to suit what type of personel they have. I know my senior year went down the drain because we tried to run a spread offense when we didn't have the talent to do so.

KTA
09-17-2007, 01:58 AM
Also, it's the coaches' faults for not adjusting the offense to suit what type of personel they have.

Ive said this before, if they decide to keep running this offense McCoy wont do crap and will keep on producing these crappy numbers....so they need to switch QB's if they do indeed plan on running the zone read.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-17-2007, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by KTA
Ive said this before, if they decide to keep running this offense McCoy wont do crap and will keep on producing these crappy numbers....so they need to switch QB's if they do indeed plan on running the zone read.

Why bench a great player?

injuredinmelee
09-17-2007, 05:03 AM
I dont think Chiles or Harris are the answer. Both were taken simply to fill the numbers needed at the QB spot. Both would be beter sutied at receiver or DB.

Old Tiger
09-17-2007, 05:06 AM
I dont think Chiles or Harris are the answer. Both were taken simply to fill the numbers needed at the QB spot. Both would be beter sutied at receiver or DB. That is a rediculous statement. Harris is a really good QB.

briefcase
09-17-2007, 08:42 AM
WAY OVERRATED

HTripleC13
09-17-2007, 09:01 AM
I would like to make a definitive decision about McCoy, but I just can't do that after last year. In my opinion, last year doesn't count, why you may ask, well that was the exact same team as the championship team minus one player, Vince Young. That was Vince's team on the field last year, but Vince wasn't there to lead them all the way and that's why they struggled at times.... When it came to crunch time you could see McCoy look wide-eyed and lost (i.e Kansas State, A&M, the bowl game they struggled in) This could've been do to injuries, but i believe it was more inexperience.. How he leads the team this year will determine if he is overated or not, but from what I've seen this season, I'm not that impressed....

TMer25
09-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by HTripleC13
I would like to make a definitive decision about McCoy, but I just can't do that after last year. In my opinion, last year doesn't count, why you may ask, well that was the exact same team as the championship team minus one player, Vince Young. That was Vince's team on the field last year, but Vince wasn't there to lead them all the way and that's why they struggled at times.... When it came to crunch time you could see McCoy look wide-eyed and lost (i.e Kansas State, A&M, the bowl game they struggled in) This could've been do to injuries, but i believe it was more inexperience.. How he leads the team this year will determine if he is overated or not, but from what I've seen this season, I'm not that impressed....

Not sure how you can say McCoy look wide eyed and lost against Kansas State when he was hurt on the opening series.

rockdale80
09-17-2007, 09:11 AM
You dont start at a DI school like Texas if you arent a great QB, because there are people to step in at any time. So saying he is over rated is a bit much. I think the play calling has not suited his capabilities, the o-line has some work to do, and the receiver corp. needs to get healthy and off suspension. Sure Texas has played piss poor this year, but it takes more than Colt McCoy to fail. And it is easy for Chase Daniels to break Mizzou records...I mean what have they accomplished nationally?

Phil C
09-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Wasn't there a similar poll on VY a few years ago in 2003 and look what happened. :)

crzyjournalist03
09-17-2007, 11:21 AM
no...I don't think he's overrated...I haven't heard anybody call him the second coming of VY, a Heisman candidate this year, etc...he's probably one of the top five sophomore QBs in the game right now, but he's still got a ways to go.

Darren
09-17-2007, 11:27 AM
I enjoy watching him.

He is not overrated. The Defense seems to be part of Texas not preforming up to standards.

IHStangFan
09-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by KTA
I say yes, I think alot of his success had to do with all those seniors around last year, especially on that offensive line. Im pulling for the guy, but I just dont think hes right for that system. exactly...that and riding on the coat-tails of the hype generated by the previous year's Nat'l Champ. team. McCoy is a dud.

rockdale80
09-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
McGee is better in certain aspects of the game than McCoy is, and I wouldn't want to play for any other quarterback in the nation at any level. No, I don't think that Daniel is better than McCoy. I don't think that Sam Bradford is better than McCoy either. I think that McGee is the best quarterback in the nation simply because he's my teammate and I have that kind of faith in him. McCoy is a great quarterback, just give him time.

McGee is a stud. He leads that team like a true champion. He is a fierce competitor that finds a way to win. He has all the tools to lead ATM to great things.

JasperDog94
09-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I just have to say that this thread was an enjoyable read!! :thumbsup: Why can't they ALL be like this? ;) Notice who's been conspicuously absent? ;)

BILLYFRED0000
09-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by KTA

Look you make the same mistake everybody does. Hold the QB accountable for his numbers. When the line sucks (UT's does) and the team is not healthy (UT's isn't) the QB is somehow responsible for those failures while the other guys have healthy teams against also suspect competetion. How do you draw your conclusions? Colt can Play. He just can't overcome his teams mistakes without someone to throw to that is first rate. And he cannot pull a VY and make up for it with his legs. That does not change his ability.

KTA
09-17-2007, 03:08 PM
You don't start at a DI school like Texas if you aren't a great QB

When McCoy took over who else was there, Jevan Sneed? One he was a TRUE freshman (who Almost got the nod during spring practice) So what does that say about McCoy who had already had a year under his belt! Who else was there? NOBODY.

Chris Simms started at Texas, how did he turn out?

And it is easy for Chase Daniels to break Mizzou records...I mean what have they accomplished nationally?

Gosh darn, I guess I never looked at it like that, how about these for national records

Brad Smith

Holds the NCAA Div. I-A career rushing record for QBs, with 4,289 yards, and became the first NCAA Div. I-A QB to throw for 8,000 yards and rush for 4,000 yards in a career

Ended his career ranked 4th on the all-time NCAA career total offense chart, with 13,088 yards

With 2,304 passing yards and 1,301 rushing yards in 2005, he became the 1st player in NCAA Div. I-A history to achieve the 2,000/1,000 mark twice in his career (he also did it as a red shirt freshman in 2002)

Is one of only 3 players in Div. I-A history to have 4 seasons of 2,500 yards of total offense, and is one of only 6 players to have 3 seasons of 3,000 yards of total offense

Became only the 6th player in NCAA Div. I-A history to rush and throw for at least 230 yards each in a game

became the first QB to win a Big 12 rushing title

became only the 4th player in NCAA D-I history to throw for 200 points and score 200 points in a career (Rick Leach of Michigan; Antwaan Randle El of Indiana; Joshua Cribbs of Kent State).

Oh, wait there's more national records?...no way didn't he go to school up at mizzou?....they haven't done anything

Rushing Yards by a QB 4,289
Most Seasons Gaining 2,500 Yards Tot. Off. 4
Most Seasons1,000 Yards Passing & 1,000 Yards Rushing 3
Most Seasons 2,000 Yards Passing & 1,000 Yards Rushing 2
Most Seasons Gaining 3,000 Yards Tot. Off. 3

Nope Mizzou QB's haven't done anything on the national level :rolleyes:

And Chase is on pace to break some of Smiths records? man he must really be horrible :rolleyes:

Why bench a great player?

He has yet to prove that he is GREAT, he had a good year last year. But all of those big, experienced lineman are gone now....please tell me how that's worked out so far this year.

Both would be beter sutied at receiver or DB

Didn't they say the same thing about VY, he turned out ok don't you think

That is a ridiculous statement. Harris is a really good QB.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

he's probably one of the top five sophomore QBs in the game right now, but he's still got a ways to go.

lets look at SI's top QBs

Tim Tebow 228.2
Todd Reesing 185.2
Donovan Porterie 148.1
Kellen Lewis 148.0
Jake Christensen 137.7
Max Hall 136.5
Zac Robinson 133.9
Nate Davis 130.9
Matt Grothe 130.8

Out of the top 50 QB's in the nation, here are the top sophomores.....notice somebody missing?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/stats/2007/divia/individual/passing_efficiency_byQB_RATING.html

When the line sucks (UT's does) and the team is not healthy (UT's isn't) the QB is somehow responsible for those failures while the other guys have healthy teams against also suspect competition.

UT's line sucks? Or are they just inexperienced? Last year he had that BIG, EXPERIENCED O-line in front of him, you don't think that helped his numbers out in his "GREAT" freshman year? Not so special now that they are gone now is he? And man the teams they have been playing sure have been the juggernauts of the NCAA haven't they....please

How do you draw your conclusions? Colt can Play. He just can't overcome his teams mistakes without someone to throw to that is first rate.

Nobody to throw to who is first rate?

Limas Sweed 4 Stars
Nate Jones 4 Stars
Quan Cosby 4 Stars
Billy Pittman 4 Stars
Jordan Shipley 4 Stars

Sure fooled me

And he cannot pull a VY and make up for it with his legs.

Why do you think him running the zone read is hurting this team? It couldn't be his blazing speed which provides to be such a running threat could it? :rolleyes:

BILLYFRED0000
09-17-2007, 03:17 PM
UT's line sucks? Or are they just inexperienced? Last year he had that BIG, EXPERIENCED O-line in front of him, you don't think that helped his numbers out in his "GREAT" freshman year? Not so special now that they are gone now is he? And man the teams they have been playing sure have been the juggernauts of the NCAA haven't they....please

Nobody to throw to healthy at this time and yes the line sucks.
Inexperience is no excuse. Either you can block or you cannot.
It looks to me like the latter. Between the lack of a line and the lack of opportunity(The D cannot give them the ball back) they will not look good this year. Until and unless the D improves, Colt will be put in situations to throw the ball in a manner to make plays rather than have the game come to him and make good decisions.
That will affect any QB numbers. Just ask the Dolfans QB how it works when you cannot get ahead enough and have to force it.
And you cannot say a pro QB is bad. If you make it to the NFL you are good. So quit trying to argue down Colt because you are biased.

Txbroadcaster
09-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by KTA

Limas Sweed 4 Stars
Nate Jones 4 Stars
Quan Cosby 4 Stars
Billy Pittman 4 Stars
Jordan Shipley 4 Stars

Sure fooled me

:

Sweed..been hurt
Nate Jones: JUST now coming into his own
Quan: The rock of the WR corps
Pittman: Has not played in 2007
Shipley: Injuries have kept him off the field

So of his WR corp, only two have not been limited by injuries or suspension in 2007

BILLYFRED0000
09-17-2007, 03:20 PM
The big problem is the UT secondary. Can't tackle and can't cover.
Bad combination. If the other team can score as much as you can then you have a problem. UCF proved that. Colt is not the issue.
The lack of any kind of a Defense which lays at the coaches feet.
They have talent. Coaches just cannot coach a good defensive game plan. I think overall the issues lay with the coaches this year.

rockdale80
09-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by KTA
When McCoy took over who else was there, Jevan Sneed? One he was a TRUE freshman (who Almost got the nod during spring practice) So what does that say about McCoy who had already had a year under his belt! Who else was there? NOBODY.

Chris Simms started at Texas, how did he turn out?

Gosh darn, I guess I never looked at it like that, how about these for national records

Brad Smith

Holds the NCAA Div. I-A career rushing record for QBs, with 4,289 yards, and became the first NCAA Div. I-A QB to throw for 8,000 yards and rush for 4,000 yards in a career

Ended his career ranked 4th on the all-time NCAA career total offense chart, with 13,088 yards

With 2,304 passing yards and 1,301 rushing yards in 2005, he became the 1st player in NCAA Div. I-A history to achieve the 2,000/1,000 mark twice in his career (he also did it as a red shirt freshman in 2002)

Is one of only 3 players in Div. I-A history to have 4 seasons of 2,500 yards of total offense, and is one of only 6 players to have 3 seasons of 3,000 yards of total offense

Became only the 6th player in NCAA Div. I-A history to rush and throw for at least 230 yards each in a game

became the first QB to win a Big 12 rushing title

became only the 4th player in NCAA D-I history to throw for 200 points and score 200 points in a career (Rick Leach of Michigan; Antwaan Randle El of Indiana; Joshua Cribbs of Kent State).

Oh, wait there's more national records?...no way didn't he go to school up at mizzou?....they haven't done anything

Rushing Yards by a QB 4,289
Most Seasons Gaining 2,500 Yards Tot. Off. 4
Most Seasons1,000 Yards Passing & 1,000 Yards Rushing 3
Most Seasons 2,000 Yards Passing & 1,000 Yards Rushing 2
Most Seasons Gaining 3,000 Yards Tot. Off. 3

Nope Mizzou QB's haven't done anything on the national level :rolleyes:

And Chase is on pace to break some of Smiths records? man he must really be horrible :rolleyes:

He has yet to prove that he is GREAT, he had a good year last year. But all of those big, experienced lineman are gone now....please tell me how that's worked out so far this year.

Didn't they say the same thing about VY, he turned out ok don't you think

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

lets look at SI's top QBs

Tim Tebow 228.2
Todd Reesing 185.2
Donovan Porterie 148.1
Kellen Lewis 148.0
Jake Christensen 137.7
Max Hall 136.5
Zac Robinson 133.9
Nate Davis 130.9
Matt Grothe 130.8

Out of the top 50 QB's in the nation, here are the top sophomores.....notice somebody missing?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/stats/2007/divia/individual/passing_efficiency_byQB_RATING.html

Limas Sweed 4 Stars
Nate Jones 4 Stars
Quan Cosby 4 Stars
Billy Pittman 4 Stars
Jordan Shipley 4 Stars

Sure fooled me

Why do you think him running the zone read is hurting this team? It couldn't be his blazing speed which provides to be such a running threat could it? :rolleyes:

Yawn...a Big 12 north team. Not impressed. McCoy will be just fine. Dont care if you agree or not. Just telling what my opinion is. And those receivers have been hurt , or suspended. And why change the Qb to suit the offense, instead of the offense to suit the QB. As a coach, you make the team with what you have, not what you wish you had.

KTA
09-17-2007, 03:35 PM
ok all of you are right and I am wrong :rolleyes: , I show yall facts and stats and all yall do is show me OPINIONS. Show me some stats to prove me wrong please...until then im done

BILLYFRED0000
09-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by KTA
ok all of you are right and I am wrong :rolleyes: , I show yall facts and stats and all yall do is show me OPINIONS. Show me some stats to prove me wrong please...until then im done

And show me how his stats are not influenced by his lack of help on both sides of the ball and I will give your stats the consideration they deserve. Because I can show you game film that the Defense sucks and the O line sucks and his receivers are hurt or suspended. These are not opinions.

Put it another way. If you are any good at defense you do not let UCF score 32 on you.

rockdale80
09-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by KTA

Why? Because you showed us some stats from a QB that plays for Missouri, named off some receivers that are either injured, or suspended, and give a list of Sophmore QB's? First of all, Chase Daniel is good, but he has not put together a 9+ win season. Who on that list plays for Texas and is above Colt McCoy? So everything you said is fact, but it is fact based on your opinion and dislike.

KTA
09-17-2007, 03:57 PM
We are not arguing the D, we are arguing if Colt is over rated.

Because I can show you game film that the Defense sucks and the O line sucks and his receivers are hurt or suspended. These are not opinions

Colt has been sacked 3 times so far this year FACT
while he was sacked 14 times last year with that awsome O-line FACT

Lets blame all of this on the O-line.

Limas Sweed: been hurt but only missed ONE game against ARKY state
Nate Jones played in all 3 games
Quan Cosby played in all 3 games
Billy Pittman Suspended
Jordan Shipley missed first 2 games
Jermichael Finley has played in every game so far

Its hit and miss, but they have had enough talent to destroy those top ncaa programs like ARKANSAS STATE, TCU, and CENTRAL FLORIDA.

SHOW ME FACTS AND STATS.....THANK YOU

KTA
09-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Chase Daniel is good, but he has not put together a 9+ win season.

Well if he had the talent Texas had, im sure that would be different

Who on that list plays for Texas and is above Colt McCoy?

Nobody, most of them play for WORSE teams and STILL have better QB ratings....>FACT

but it is fact based on your opinion and dislike.

My opinion made up those stats?....no im pretty sure they made up there own stats and sports illistrated and ESPN took note of them, I just borrowed them. As far as not like him, I dont know where you got that assumption. I wish the guy well, and would like to see him prove me wrong. His dad his the HC here and I dont have no problem with any of them....wait there you go with that OPINION again.

Litterally say what you want, but until you show me stats im litterally through this time. Like I said nothing but OPINIONS

necks_c/09
09-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by KTA
He is not ment for this offense...period funny how nobody said this last year when he was destroying defenses.....

KTA
09-17-2007, 04:06 PM
can you not READ, he lost a lot on the o-line....im sure that had NOTHING to do with it:rolleyes:

BILLYFRED0000
09-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by KTA
We are not arguing the D, we are arguing if Colt is over rated.

Colt has been sacked 3 times so far this year FACT
while he was sacked 14 times last year with that awsome O-line FACT

Lets blame all of this on the O-line.

Limas Sweed: been hurt but only missed ONE game against ARKY state
Nate Jones played in all 3 games
Quan Cosby played in all 3 games
Billy Pittman Suspended
Jordan Shipley missed first 2 games
Jermichael Finley has played in every game so far

Its hit and miss, but they have had enough talent to destroy those top ncaa programs like ARKANSAS STATE, TCU, and CENTRAL FLORIDA.

SHOW ME FACTS AND STATS.....THANK YOU

Fact, They all kept The UT offense off the field because of a sorry ass defense and they cannot run block well enough to establish a secure running game against less than average competition. Without a running game that is consistent and without defense that keeps the other team down you have a situation where you are forced to make plays rather than play within your game plan
It is situational football. 3rd and short is better than 3rd and long and so on. The longer your offense makes the field the more difficult it is for the QB to over come. As you can see from your quote only a couple of his recievers have been fulltime and any defense can handle two. He needs 3 or 4 to give the defense packages that they can lose to. Then the running game should be giving 2nd and 5 or better against UCF. Then the D should hold the other team down so that the O does not get into a scoring contest sans Cowboys Giants. The team with the weakest D loses most of the time in those types of contests. Texas is on the verge of the worst coaching job vs talent on D I have seen.
Football is a team sport. Brett Favre is a great QB but remind me how well GB played last year......

What I am trying to say is Colt may not be playing his best but he is playing well considering what he has to work with. I do not think he is overrated because I never rated him to be the second coming of God. VY was better. So are many others. But he is a solid QB specially for a sophomore and with a little help can win games. What more do you want out of that position?

rockdale80
09-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by KTA
Well if he had the talent Texas had, im sure that would be different

Nobody, most of them play for WORSE teams and STILL have better QB ratings....>FACT

My opinion made up those stats?....no im pretty sure they made up there own stats and sports illistrated and ESPN took note of them, I just borrowed them. As far as not like him, I dont know where you got that assumption. I wish the guy well, and would like to see him prove me wrong. His dad his the HC here and I dont have no problem with any of them....wait there you go with that OPINION again.

Litterally say what you want, but until you show me stats im litterally through this time. Like I said nothing but OPINIONS

FACT: You dont start for a team like Texas if you are a mediocre QB. He is a sophmore. What do you expect? Not even VY won a NC as a sophmore. How is any of that not a fact? He is young and will continue to develop. That is also a fact.

KTA
09-17-2007, 04:15 PM
facts please....I see no real numbers, or proof....still just the same biased opinions

KTA
09-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Without a running game that is consistent

Jamal has been, look at the film they all go towards him during the zone read, McCoy isnt a threat. If you want to get consistant, get somebody else back there who is threat...if not change the offense to best suit McCoy

KTA
09-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Some more facts for yall

Jamal Charles' rushing stats with a running threat running the zone read

YEAR ATT YDS AVG LNG TD
2005 119 878 7.4 80 11

Without a real threat running the offense

YEAR ATT YDS AVG LNG TD

2006 156 831 5.3 46 7
2007 71 399 5.6 46 3

BILLYFRED0000
09-17-2007, 04:23 PM
Common sense applies when you play football. It is not all about stats. The game Colt played against UCF was just fine. The game the D played just sucked.
The coaches kept to a decent running game and short passing game in lieu of the run. That kept the pressure off the o-line for longer routes which would have failed because of the lack of consistent blocking. The offensive game plan worked and Colt executed it.

Total offense 488 yards. 259 passing 229 rushing.
Colt had 32 of 47 for a 68 percent completion average.
1 td 1 int.
Sounds like a pretty decent day to me......:D

Oh and 35 points. That should win most ballgames.

KTA
09-17-2007, 04:23 PM
oh wait I made those up to with my "biased opinion" I like to call it ESPN

BILLYFRED0000
09-17-2007, 04:26 PM
And correct me if I am wrong but they have not lost yet inspite of a crummy Defense. Must mean the O is keeping them afloat and who is the QB?????

KTA
09-17-2007, 04:26 PM
32/47 259 5.5 1 1

He averaged 5.5 per a pass, yeah thats a WONDERFUL stat:rolleyes:

And this is against the power house known as CENTRAL FLORIDA

KTA
09-17-2007, 04:27 PM
crummy Defense

that crummy D all but beat TCU

BILLYFRED0000
09-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by KTA
32/47 259 5.5 1 1

He averaged 5.5 per a pass, yeah thats a WONDERFUL stat:rolleyes:

And this is against the power house known as CENTRAL FLORIDA

And who calls the plays... the coaches and what did the game plan call for let me repeat from my previous quote.

The coaches kept to a decent running game and short passing game in lieu of the run. That kept the pressure off the o-line for longer routes which would have failed because of the lack of consistent blocking. The offensive game plan worked and Colt executed it. And scored 28 points and a W. What a wonderful stat. Just because you do not like the style of play does not mean it does not work and work well.

KTA
09-17-2007, 04:28 PM
oh yeah 7 of those points were from that D

Brandon Foster 33 Yd Interception Return (Ryan Bailey Kick)

necks_c/09
09-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by KTA
oh yeah 7 of those points were from that D dude who cares....

hes still a soph and anybody who is a heisman candidate is not just a nobody the next year....

the whole team is struggling not just mcCoy.....

he will get better and the team will get better

they're still winning games and until they lose, no major changes should be made...... just corrections

pirate4state
09-17-2007, 04:35 PM
I think i jinxed this thread way back on page 1 *yawn*

rockdale80
09-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by KTA
oh yeah 7 of those points were from that D

Everything I said was fact. He is a sophmore, VY didnt win a NC, and most every sophmore that starts gets better as he matures as a QB. I dont care if you disagree, or if you like my opinion on this matter. I dont even care if you dont like McCoy. He has a winning record last time I checked.(also a fact).

KTA
09-17-2007, 04:37 PM
and what did the game plan call for

Is that what your scouting report that Mack Brown gave you said? Or is that just YOUR OPINION?

rockdale80
09-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by KTA
Is that what your scouting report that Mack Brown gave you said? Or is that just YOUR OPINION?

Ok...you are right. Colt is the worst QB in college football. The longhorns have a better option. If they changed QB's they would start blowing out teams. Chase Daniel is the best QB in the game at that level right now. You are the almighty of football knowledge. Happy now?

KTA
09-17-2007, 04:41 PM
its a start:clap: :D

Old Tiger
09-17-2007, 04:42 PM
http://www.btinternet.com/~tonyrichardson/horse.gif

BILLYFRED0000
09-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by KTA

I don't know if you can follow a complicated line of thought but this is what they did. What they did. It is that obvious.

BILLYFRED0000
09-17-2007, 05:03 PM
What I am trying to say is that this is not street ball. The coaches call the plays they want run. Not Colt. The coaches did what they did and the result is what you got. Now as to how many options did Colt have I am not sure. But most coaches would not turn the game loose on a sophomore no matter how good he looks. Nothing like game experience.

KTA
09-17-2007, 07:49 PM
still no facts, just your opinion as usual....seems like the Yes' have taken the lead over the no's.....guess im not the only one who thinks this....im just the only one who will state my opinion with facts and stats to back them up

rockdale80
09-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by KTA
still no facts, just your opinion as usual....seems like the Yes' have taken the lead over the no's.....guess im not the only one who thinks this....im just the only one who will state my opinion with facts and stats to back them up

And your facts are about how a spohmore QB is not playing to a level you expect him to, when he doesnt have the supporting cast to justify the expectations....yet. Sure he hasnt had the stellar year everyone had hoped for...yet. I say give him time. It is 3 games into the season. He is still a good QB, and will bring good things to the table. 3 games into the season(that he has not lost) and you are calling for his job. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Diocletian
09-17-2007, 08:27 PM
If Colt is still walking after the OK game then ...... No he isn't over rated

Is it just me or does this guy look like he's 12 or something.

KTA
09-17-2007, 08:28 PM
And your facts are about how a spohmore QB is not playing to a level you expect him to, when he doesnt have the supporting cast to justify the expectations....yet. Sure he hasnt had the stellar year everyone had hoped for...yet. I say give him time. It is 3 games into the season. He is still a good QB, and will bring good things to the table. 3 games into the season(that he has not lost) and you are calling for his job.

No, my facts are FACTS, and my stats are REAL stats...check the links, and well....your opinion, is still just your opinion

Big Papa
09-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by KTA
No, my facts are FACTS, and my stats are REAL stats...check the links, and well....your opinion, is still just your opinion

heres a real stat for ya.....3-0...thats UT's record if im not mistaken....and as long as McCoy keeps winning games then i don't care if his numbers are down, if there up, if there the same, if he's a heisman candidate or if he's the second lowest rated QB in the big 12...as long as he keeps winning games and getting it done (which he has ie. 3-0) then he's my QB.....

oh and yes this is my opinion and not really any stats...so i don't expect any form of reply from KTA

KTA
09-17-2007, 09:14 PM
You know what they say about opinions, there just like _______ _______ everybody has one.

rockdale80
09-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by KTA

3-0 FACT!

BILLYFRED0000
09-17-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by KTA

I find it interesting that you do not talk about football. All you seem to understand are numbers. Refute my opinion if you can and remember the most important stat is the W column.

rockdale80
09-17-2007, 09:23 PM
I find it interesting that you do not talk about football. All you seem to understand are numbers. Refute my opinion if you can and remember the most important stat is the W column.

I find it ironic that he keeps saying McCoy is overrated, then says it is because of the offensive scheme. If he is a good QB then he is a good QB, even if he isnt the right fit for a system. Seems like someone should make up their mind. Because there is a difference in not having the right QB in the offense you are running, and having a QB that is overrated. That is a FACT! So keep your facts coming....still waiting for a viable argument.

Big Papa
09-17-2007, 09:26 PM
thats what im talkin about!!!!

and when i was watching the game the other day..the announcers kept talking about how UCF was playing defense that was going against the deep ball...thus all of the short passes
but who knows theres not a single number in that statement...but its not my opinion just talking about whta the announcer said.....anywho i don't think anybodies gonna come up with any numbers...i mean facts...thats gonna contradict any of kta's numbers so i guess this is just a mute point by now....or by page 5 actually

rockdale80
09-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Big Papa

and when i was watching the game the other day..the announcers kept talking about how UCF was playing defense that was going against the deep ball...thus all of the short passes
but who knows theres not a single number in that statement...but its not my opinion just talking about whta the announcer said.....anywho i don't think anybodies gonna come up with any numbers...i mean facts...thats gonna contradict any of kta's numbers so i guess this is just a mute point by now....or by page 5 actually

What's a mute poing? ;)

I have heard of a "moot" point before, but never a mute point.

Big Papa
09-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
What's a mute poing? ;)

HATER!!:D :D

i knew it didn't sound right when i was reading it

rockdale80
09-17-2007, 09:31 PM
HATER!!:D :D

i knew it didn't sound right when i was reading it

Sorry. I knew what you meant, but I couldnt resist. :D

BILLYFRED0000
09-17-2007, 09:31 PM
What's a mute poing? ;)

I think a mute point is one that does not get any consideration even tho it's valid.

A moot point is one that does not need stating as it has already been made.:D :D

rockdale80
09-17-2007, 09:34 PM
I think a mute point is one that does not get any consideration even tho it's valid.

A moot point is one that does not need stating as it has already been made.:D :D

Ah....in that case I make a lot of mute points.

Big Papa
09-17-2007, 09:35 PM
What's a mute poing? ;)

dangit i didn't even see your typo on point...other wise i could have got you back...i hate myself right now:D :D

rockdale80
09-17-2007, 09:36 PM
dangit i didn't even see your typo on point...other wise i could have got you back...i hate myself right now:D :D

HAHAHAHAHAHA...I didnt either. Karma is a bi....

Big Papa
09-17-2007, 09:38 PM

i think the term "mute point" is very discriminatory towards those not fortunate enough to be able to talk....to be talking about the points they make like that is not exceptable

i know i know that was bad:D

rockdale80
09-17-2007, 09:40 PM
i think the term "mute point" is very discriminatory towards those not fortunate enough to be able to talk....to be talking about the points they make like that is not exceptable

i know i know that was bad:D

You probably laughed at The Story of Helen Keller didnt you?:D

BILLYFRED0000
09-17-2007, 09:41 PM

Yes this is about the O taking what is given. And it worked just fine. Dink Dink Dink if you get 28 points. Problem lies with the D.
Should not have given up 32 points to a school like that. But then again Appalachian S should not have beaten Michigan either.
Oops.....:D

Bull19
09-17-2007, 09:42 PM
yes colt is overrated, not to mention he looks like he is gunna cry everytime i see him on t.v.

BILLYFRED0000
09-17-2007, 09:42 PM

Well you know how I feel about that,,,,

See no evil
Hear no evil

and the rest kinda takes care of itself:p

Big Papa
09-17-2007, 09:48 PM
not the story itself...just the jokes all of those cold hearted kids tell

Well you know how I feel about that,,,,

See no evil
Hear no evil

and the rest kinda takes care of itself:p

kinda like this one :D
wait did i say cold hearted kids??:D

burnet44
09-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I think i jinxed this thread way back on page 1 *yawn*

You AND G are the jinxes huh

BIG_STICK
09-17-2007, 09:59 PM
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES. The whole team is overrated they finally will get an easy win this week. That just makes what is going to happen on first Sat in Oct. Just so much Sweeter the year 2000 comes to mind.

rockdale80
09-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by BIG_STICK
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES. The whole team is overrated they finally will get an easy win this week. That just makes what is going to happen on first Sat in Oct. Just so much Sweeter the year 2000 comes to mind. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

IHStangFan
09-17-2007, 10:09 PM
http://www.btinternet.com/~tonyrichardson/horse.gif exactly...who gives a rat's butt. It is obvious Texas is down...they are not even CLOSE to Nat'l Champ material...they are not even a top 10 team in my PERSONAL opinion. They will be lucky to have less than 2 or 3 losses and will more than likely get DONKEY STOMPED by OU. So why are we arguing again? Colt McCoy is no VY that is for sure. Those are huge shoes to fill. He isn't bad, but he isn't the save-all under center that the Horns can rely on to carry them either. :doh: That being said, I guess we'll just have to watch some football to see whos "right" and whos "wrong" wont we guys? I'm looking forward to it. :clap:

pirate4state
09-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
exactly...who gives a rat's butt. It is obvious Texas is down...they are not even CLOSE to Nat'l Champ material...they are not even a top 10 team in my PERSONAL opinion. They will be lucky to have less than 2 or 3 losses and will more than likely get DONKEY STOMPED by OU. So why are we arguing again? Colt McCoy is no VY that is for sure. Those are huge shoes to fill. He isn't bad, but he isn't the save-all under center that the Horns can rely on to carry them either. :doh: That being said, I guess we'll just have to watch some football to see whos "right" and whos "wrong" wont we guys? I'm looking forward to it. :clap:

Didn't you get the memo - opinions are not wanted nor needed on this thread :rolleyes: GAH!

TexanAlum_06
09-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Just something to point out and some food for thought. Just imagine where UT would be this year IF VY would of stayed for his senior season last year and this year was Colts Debut with an erratic defense and a crappy O-line?

LH Panther Mom
09-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
Just something to point out and some food for thought. Just imagine where UT would be this year IF VY would of stayed for his senior season last year and this year was Colts Debut with an erratic defense and a crappy O-line?
He would've been thrown to the wolves! :eek:

TexanAlum_06
09-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
He would've been thrown to the wolves! :eek:

Thats for sure. UT would be sitting at 1-2 or 0-3.

LH Panther Mom
09-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
Thats for sure. UT would be sitting at 1-2 or 0-3.
And Kirk Bohls would be back on the "Fire Mack Brown" bandwagon.

TexanAlum_06
09-17-2007, 11:50 PM
Hahaha. Yeah thats for sure. I hope that Harris comes back soon. REASON being, I would hate to see them burn a whole year of eligibilty for Chiles for a handful of plays and mop up duty like they did with Sergio Kindle last year. I question the coaching staffs use of some of the players. They will burn a freshmens year of eligibilty for special teams play and victory formation... just doenst make sense to me.......

KTA
09-17-2007, 11:55 PM
And we would of more then likely won another nation championship, and got the pick of the litter again in recruits, just like we did the year after we won it all. So what, we lose a few games...but in the greater scheme of things we add another national championship, and get another top class in a row to build from...not to shabby for a couple of losses. Like somebody else stated, the only thing that really changed from that offense was VY missing (last year). And I THINK it was Emerson who said nobody was near as good as Texas or USC was, it probably would of been a easy championship. Vince Young was easly a 14-21 point difference, who did we get beat by that just BLEW us away? I wish things would of turned out this way.

injuredinmelee
09-18-2007, 01:18 AM
funny how nobody said this last year when he was destroying defenses.....

thank you for saying that. I cant even read through this thread anymore. Its gotten ridiculous.

And then there is the having to scroll side to side to read because of a big sig... lol

KTA
09-18-2007, 01:21 AM
sorry, im working on fixing it:D

Old Tiger
09-18-2007, 01:22 AM
http://game-brains.com/images/may9_2005/steer-sign.jpg
This should be your sig...

KTA
09-18-2007, 01:24 AM
dude post again your on number six sixty 111111

IHStangFan
09-18-2007, 02:29 AM
thank you for saying that. I cant even read through this thread anymore. Its gotten ridiculous.

And then there is the having to scroll side to side to read because of a big sig... lol exactly WHAT defenses did he "destroy" besides the usual suspects...i.e. North Texas, Rice, Sam Houston State, etc. WOW...impressive. :rolleyes: Anyone (team) w/ credibility either kept it close or beat Texas...the only team worth a crap they beat last year was Oklahoma...early in the season while the Sooners were still struggling. Lets recap the season shall we

Texas 56
North Texas 7...big suprise

Ohio State 24
Texas 7....ouch

Texas 52
Rice 7......:doh: not allowed ~ p4s

Texas 37
Iowa State 14.....hmmm

Texas 56
Sam Houston State 3....look out!

Texas 28
OU 10.....only quality win

Texas 63
Baylor 31.....whoopie

Texas 22
Neb 20......shoulda lost this one

Texas 35
TT 31......shoulda lost this one too

Texas 36
OK State 10......OK State is a DECENT win

K State 45
Texas 42.....oops

A&M 12
Texas 7.....a bit of a suprise to most UT fans

Texas 26
Iowa 24....close call!

so again, I have to ask...what respectable defense did he "destroy"?

NDFootball
09-18-2007, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
exactly WHAT defenses did he "destroy" besides the usual suspects...i.e. North Texas, Rice, Sam Houston State, etc. WOW...impressive. :rolleyes: Anyone (team) w/ credibility either kept it close or beat Texas...the only team worth a crap they beat last year was Oklahoma...early in the season while the Sooners were still struggling. Lets recap the season shall we

Texas 56
North Texas 7...big suprise

Ohio State 24
Texas 7....ouch

Texas 52
Rice 7......

Texas 37
Iowa State 14.....hmmm

Texas 56
Sam Houston State 3....look out!

Texas 28
OU 10.....only quality win

Texas 63
Baylor 31.....whoopie

Texas 22
Neb 20......shoulda lost this one

Texas 35
TT 31......shoulda lost this one too

Texas 36
OK State 10......OK State is a DECENT win

K State 45
Texas 42.....oops

A&M 12
Texas 7.....a bit of a suprise to most UT fans

Texas 26
Iowa 24....close call!

so again, I have to ask...what respectable defense did he "destroy"?

you have a good point...

BILLYFRED0000
09-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Oh so close calls where 25 points scored is bad for the O. How bout bad for the D.
The O scored close to 500 points. Not his fault the D could not stop anybody and a couple of D's could stop UT. People lets just blame everything on the QB. Doh
way to go homer.

BILLYFRED0000
09-18-2007, 08:13 AM
I don't even watch much college ball. All I see are people who want to niggle with why UT is not good. Simple. Bad D plus above average O equals tough season for the QB cause he has to play too much superhero. And when he fails(as a sophmore no less) then out come the overrated bs stuff. He is not great but he is solid. UT's issues do not begin and end with him. Simple enough.

rockdale80
09-18-2007, 08:41 AM
I don't even watch much college ball. All I see are people who want to niggle with why UT is not good. Simple. Bad D plus above average O equals tough season for the QB cause he has to play too much superhero. And when he fails(as a sophmore no less) then out come the overrated bs stuff. He is not great but he is solid. UT's issues do not begin and end with him. Simple enough.

Well that is like your opinion man. ;)

Adidas410s
09-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Where did my post go??? :confused:

IHStangFan
09-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Oh so close calls where 25 points scored is bad for the O. How bout bad for the D.
The O scored close to 500 points. Not his fault the D could not stop anybody and a couple of D's could stop UT. People lets just blame everything on the QB. Doh
way to go homer. again...sure they scored points....on NOBODIES. The schedule was weak and they only played one top ranked team...and got it handed to them. Nobody is "blaming" the QB...this thread was orig. about "do you think Colt McCoy is over-rated" and I am giving reason why I think he is. DOH!! way to go homer!

28OptionOn2
09-18-2007, 02:36 PM
KTA,

You do bring up some good stats to back up your opinion. Having said that, have you ever taken a statistics class? If so, you'd know that stats can be manipulated to say just about anything you'd like them to. In my OPINION, you have to look beyond the numbers to figure out why the 'Horns are struggling this year. I've watched every down the 'Horns have played this year, most of which I've watched more than once. Defenses so far this year have different game plans against the 'Horns offense. TCU in particular took away the deep pass (as did UCF) simply with their alignment and coverages in the secondary most of the time. It's hard to throw the deep ball when the safeties are that deep. Why not take advantage of what the defense is giving you? Sure Colt only averaged 5.5 yards a completion or whatever it is your stats said, but that's because the coaches were just taking wht the defense was giving them. Colt was just running the plays that the coaches called. That's a whole other can of worms that I don't want to open right now. My point is, before you run a player into the ground with stats to back up your opinion, make sure you understand what you're talking about.

Oh yeah, I think I can count the number of times on one hand that the 'Horns have run the Zone Read. Contrary to your belief, when Colt hands the ball off to Jamal out of the Shotgun formation, it's not always the zone read. Most of the time it's a zone play that is designed to go to Jamal and there is no read. How many times have you seen Colt keep the ball and run? Most of Colt's rushes come on broken pass plays or naked bootlegs. The coaches know that Colt isn't going to beat teams with his legs. That's why they no longer run the load zone plays (you know, the ones that resemble the old single wing plays) that they used to run with Vince.

I know you're entitled to your opinion and I respect it. But please don't tell me my opinion is wrong simply because I don't back it up with numbers. The only numbers I'm concerned with are the ones in the "W" and "L" columns. Sure I wish the 'Horns would have played better, but they're still 3 and 0.

KTA
09-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Yes 49 50.52%
No 48 49.48%

Seems like at this moment im the Majority

KTA
09-18-2007, 06:18 PM
but heck who cares, all the numbers I produced were made to look like something else. Colt is throwing 5.5 yards per a reception, but in reality its 15.4 espn must hate the longhorns :crazy:

rockdale80
09-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by KTA
but heck who cares, all the numbers I produced were made to look like something else. Colt is throwing 5.5 yards per a reception, but in reality its 15.4 espn must hate the longhorns :crazy:

And that statistic is all his fault. Not the person calling the plays, or anything else. Just his. :crazy: :crazy:

LH Panther Mom
09-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by 28OptionOn2
The only numbers I'm concerned with are the ones in the "W" and "L" columns. they're still 3 and 0.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

KTA
09-18-2007, 07:20 PM
Every play is a perfect play if it is executed right

rockdale80
09-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by KTA
Every play is a perfect play if it is executed right

With that theory a team should score on every single play on offense, and never let a team get off a play on defense. :thinking:

buff4life
09-18-2007, 07:27 PM
speaking of Colt, i saw him today and said whats up to him , i might have interrupted his convo with a very pretty lady tho...he is pretty big in person...