PDA

View Full Version : It's Sleeting in Austin...

KTJ
02-13-2004, 09:43 AM
These drivers are gonna go nuts! The transplant Yankees can't drive here, which is going to make this place go crazy! Good thing I have no classes today, but I'm about to head up to campus to get a workout in. I live about 5 minutes from campus and it will probably take me 30 min to get there.

CHS_Grad '85
02-13-2004, 10:19 AM
It's also sleeting in College Station... some have reported snow flurries at Northgate... our saving grace is that its melting as soon as it lands... so we won't have the same problems you are... good luck getting around town...

BigChief
02-13-2004, 10:31 AM
Its doing absolutely nothing in Waco right now. The roads are still very drivable. Its suppose to sleet or snow her sometime this afternoon.

poncho
02-13-2004, 10:38 AM
We have snow in Burnet and Marblefalls :D

spiveyrat
02-13-2004, 12:12 PM
KTJ:
These drivers are gonna go nuts! The transplant Yankees can't drive here, which is going to make this place go crazy! Good thing I have no classes today, but I'm about to head up to campus to get a workout in. I live about 5 minutes from campus and it will probably take me 30 min to get there.???
Don't you think those who have experience driving in ice/sleet/snow will do better at driving in those conditions?

Mustang '89
02-13-2004, 12:25 PM
spiveyrat:

KTJ:
These drivers are gonna go nuts! The transplant Yankees can't drive here, which is going to make this place go crazy! Good thing I have no classes today, but I'm about to head up to campus to get a workout in. I live about 5 minutes from campus and it will probably take me 30 min to get there.???
Don't you think those who have experience driving in ice/sleet/snow will do better at driving in those conditions?I was thinking the same thing, but decided to let someone else comment

KTJ
02-13-2004, 12:48 PM
You'd think that, now wouldn't you...

spiveyrat:

KTJ:
Don't you think those who have experience driving in ice/sleet/snow will do better at driving in those conditions?

spiveyrat
02-13-2004, 01:18 PM
8 years ago, I was a Texas boy who could count the number of times I had seen snow on both hands (or less). I saw Jasper schools cancel school because we saw some flurries one morning. Thinking about that now, it's just plain funny... and ridiculuous. There really isn't any magical method of driving in the snow. If you have ever driven on wet clay and managed to keep your vehicle under control... then you can drive in winter conditions. The key is driving SLOW. Drive slow in snow. Drive slower in sleet. And drive slowest in icy conditions. And by slow, I don't mean cut your speed down to 45. I mean 20-30 or less depending on conditions. If you have a 4WD, it'll help you some in snow and sleet, but not as much in ice. Same goes for Front Wheel Drive vehicles. Leave lots of space between you and the car in front of you and begin your stops MUCH sooner. Anti-Lock brakes are just about a must in wintry conditions. Remember, just take it slow and responsibly.

<small>[ February 13, 2004, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: spiveyrat ]</small>