PDA

View Full Version : Ethical question

44INAROW
09-16-2007, 12:35 PM
ok - so my son has completed his 1st "really big college paper" and he did it completely on his own. I was still asleep and he left a note on the computer screen that he tried to print but the printer was out of ink and he was on his way to a golf tourney and wasn't able to get a cartridge, so would I get one and print it.. No big deal. Well, being a mom, I of course read it, and was completely surprised how good it was. Anyway - here is where the ethical question comes in - I saw a "few" minor grammatical issues. Should I correct them or just print it out and stay out of his business? We won't have time to discuss this when he gets home since he will literally be picking up his stuff and heading back to Austin.

Gobbla2001
09-16-2007, 12:37 PM
edit it...

3afan
09-16-2007, 12:40 PM
i would definetly point them out but i'd let him correct them

44INAROW
09-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
i would definetly point them out but i'd let him correct them

yea, I think that's what I'll do..... it's simple mechanics type stuff, but he needs to learn how it's done! thanks!

burnet44
09-16-2007, 12:43 PM
save it to disk
tell him to look over it
and correct it
print it when he gets to school
or send it to himself in an e mail
let him do it
but make him aware of it

mistanice
09-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Pretend you're a tutor. Let him know what needs to be corrected.

neck_06
09-16-2007, 01:05 PM
edit it....

DDBooger
09-16-2007, 01:11 PM
thats why writers have editors! not to change the message but assure it comes across grammatically sound! :) no biggie, as long as you don't do some work(research) and pass it off as his, then I don't see it as a biggie! Hell After I write my 12-18pg papers I email my papers to my sister(english&reading teacher) and she still checks em for grammatical errors! no matter how many times I go over it, she finds something.

VanKampen
09-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
ok - so my son has completed his 1st "really big college paper" and he did it completely on his own. I was still asleep and he left a note on the computer screen that he tried to print but the printer was out of ink and he was on his way to a golf tourney and wasn't able to get a cartridge, so would I get one and print it.. No big deal. Well, being a mom, I of course read it, and was completely surprised how good it was. Anyway - here is where the ethical question comes in - I saw a "few" minor grammatical issues. Should I correct them or just print it out and stay out of his business? We won't have time to discuss this when he gets home since he will literally be picking up his stuff and heading back to Austin.
from personal experience, just edit it and dont tell him. if he finds out you read it without permission he'll probably be mad. i always got mad when my mom did that to me

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-16-2007, 01:35 PM
I'd say edit it. You can get tutors and you can also have someone to proof read what you're doing, so edit it.

Old Tiger
09-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Wouldn't it be hilarious if she edited it then he got a tutor to look over it and it ended up being right? :D

slpybear the bullfan
09-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Do not edit it without his knowledge. This is a big deal to writers. And pointing out his corrections would just make him better.

HippoBaseball05
09-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
ok - so my son has completed his 1st "really big college paper" and he did it completely on his own.

Nice to meet you Jamaal Charles mom.....

:D

Old Tiger
09-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by HippoBaseball05

:D :doh: :doh: :doh: :hand:

44INAROW
09-16-2007, 07:53 PM

:D

I am going to assume you are kidding..... :confused:

but just to satisfy my own curiosity - what the heck made you make that comment to me?

HippoBaseball05
09-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Yes ma'am, I am .

As an Aggie I couldn't resist chance to get a jab at a sip football player.

We all know Jamaal Charles or any important player for t.u. doesn't have to write papers....

Old Tiger
09-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Yes ma'am, I am .

As an Aggie I couldn't resist chance to get a jab at a sip football player.

We all know Jamaal Charles or any important player for t.u. doesn't have to write papers.... Shut up dude your going to get A&M/UT topics banned.

44INAROW
09-16-2007, 08:01 PM
well, if you knew me as many on the board do, the majority of my family (all 3 boys anyway) are avid Aggie fans. My son doesn't go to UT - he goes to ACC

HippoBaseball05
09-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Sorry to offend you.

Nice to meet you.

44INAROW
09-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Sorry to offend you.

Nice to meet you.

same to you...... :)