PDA

View Full Version : 59-year-old Sul Ross linebacker AP story

westtxfballfan
09-14-2007, 01:38 PM
59-year-old Flynt to play Saturday
/ Associated Press
Posted: 8 minutes ago

After missing two games with injuries, 59-year-old linebacker Mike Flynt will take the field for Sul Ross State on Saturday for the first time in 37 years.
Flynt will suit up for the Lobos (2-0) when they face Mary Hardin-Baylor in Belton. The Crusaders (1-0) are ranked third in the Division III poll. The game will be the American Southwest Conference opener for both teams.

Flynt will not become the oldest college football player, as Edgard Barreto played for Ashland (Ohio) University when he was 60 in 1997. Barreto, however, got in for only one play in the fourth quarter of a blowout in the next-to-last game of the season. So Flynt could be considered the oldest player counted on to be a regular contributor.

"The opportunity like what I'm going after right now is just a testament to what you do at any stage of your life if you'd just take a few minutes every day to prioritize your health and take better care of yourself," Flynt said in an August interview.

Although he's the ultimate college "senior" — a grandfather and AARP member, he's eight years older than his head coach and six years from Medicare — Flynt is legitimately capable of playing against guys one-third his age.

Coaches didn't give him a spot on the roster. He had to earn it in two-a-days. He's remained in great shape over the years as a strength and conditioning coach at Nebraska, Oregon and Texas A&M, and later by selling the Powerbase, a fitness machine he invented.

Still, some aches and pains from practices kept him out of the first two games.

Flynt last played for Sul Ross in 1970. He was kicked off the team before the 1971 season because of a fight and never got over the regret of missing his senior year. He shared that with some former teammates at a school reunion earlier this summer and one of them suggested he should rejoin the team.

Flynt never considered it because he thought he was out of eligibility. Turns out, he had one semester left. He's now also taking graduate school courses.

westtxfballfan
09-14-2007, 01:40 PM
i should have noted that he is a Permian grad (in the late 60s) who was on their first state championship team.

Phil C
09-14-2007, 02:11 PM
:clap:

burnet44
09-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Flynt to Suit up with Lobos against UMHB
Date: Thursday, September 13, 2007
Story:
ALPINE, TX -- Mike Flynt, Sul Ross State's storied 59-year-old linebacker, will be suiting up with the Lobos for this weekend's American Southwest Conference football game against the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor in Belton, Texas.

Flynt, who has missed the first two games because of injury, will suit up in a Sul Ross uniform for the first time since the 1970 season when he helped the Lobos to a 7-3 campaign under then head coach Richard Harvey.

A 1966 Odessa (TX) Permian High School graduate, Flynt has one season of eligibility remaining.

Sul Ross head football coach Steve Wright has requested that no interviews be granted with Flynt or other team members or coaching staff on game day but that interviews will be available to the media on Monday, September 17.

Coach Wright will be available for media interviews before and after Saturday's game

http://www.sulross.edu/images/athletics/football/Flint,-Mike-IMG_3455.jpg

Adidas410s
09-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by westtxfballfan
59-year-old Flynt to play Saturday
/ Associated Press
Posted: 8 minutes ago

After missing two games with injuries, 59-year-old linebacker Mike Flynt will take the field for Sul Ross State on Saturday for the first time in 37 years.

What happened?? Did the hemroids flair up? :p :p

burnet44
09-14-2007, 02:28 PM
didnt say
I was looking to see if he had any action/tackles/int/playing time

Phil C
09-14-2007, 02:41 PM
He is to be admired. I was only 58 when I got into the ring with the brave bull. :)

http://www.indigenthealthcaresolutions.com/photo_album/2006-auditors-el_paso/originals/426.jpg

Darren
09-14-2007, 02:59 PM
too bad his first game played will be a loss to UMHB.

Pudlugger
09-14-2007, 03:03 PM
I wrestled a bear once!LOL

I read about this guy a few weeks ago. I wonder why he didn't suit up for the first two games. Injury maybe? I have to say this guy is a real inspiration to us old gezsers! He probably hits hard as he is a strength and conditioning coach. I imagine he will insire the younger players to make the most of this very special period in their lives. The Lobos look pretty good this year 2-0 so far.

Sweetwater Red
09-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
He is to be admired. I was only 58 when I got into the ring with the brave bull. :)

http://www.indigenthealthcaresolutions.com/photo_album/2006-auditors-el_paso/originals/426.jpg

You sure are standing awfully close to that wall.:D

Darren
09-14-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

I would be standing behind the wall.

I've worked enough cows and bulls through shoots when loading them for auction to know that they can do some major damage.

Phil C
09-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Hey Sweetwater go to the Sinton Matador thread to page three and find where there are some videos. I got back behind that wall pretty fast. :D

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Second the motion on the loss to UMHB. The Cru are a tight squad. What a way to start out. But Sully has some excitement about the team. They had a much better year last year and started off 2-0 so far so good this year. But beware of a solid brick wall Saturday in Belton.