PDA

View Full Version : Centex outlook by Waco Trib

burnet44
09-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Glen Rose (2-0)

at China Spring (2-0)

This is a good example of a DFW-area team being a tad inferior to its Central Texas counterparts.

Glen Rose has been a perennial playoff team in more northern districts, but the Tigers don’t seem to be up to 17-3A-level competition. Last season, for example, China Spring throttled Glen Rose, 38-13, in Glen Rose.

The Tigers then went on to tie West and Kennedale for the 12-3A championship.

Look for a big night from China Spring quarterback Dustin Eskew and his mates.

China Spring 44, Glen Rose 13

La Vega (2-0)

at Fairfield (0-2)

La Vega coach Willie Williams, not to mention just about everybody who loves football in Central Texas, is anxious to see Chris and Kourtney Parr back in action for the Pirates.

The coach has said repeatedly over the last two weeks that the Parr brothers have done everything required of them to get back on the field. Still, it’s out of Williams’ control.

“It’s in the UIL’s hands,” Williams said.

Fortunately for La Vega, the Pirates’ offense has proven capable in quarterback Danzel Wilson’s hands. Last week Wilson guided the Pirates to a 422-total-yard performance in a 34-0 victory over Groesbeck.

La Vega 34, Fairfield 14

#1 Mart (2-0)

at Groesbeck (1-1)

Mart and Groesbeck meet for the 90th time in one of Central Texas’ oldest and grandest rivalries.

However, second-year Mart coach Rusty Nail said he was unable to enjoy the charm of the long-standing series last season. An off-the-field problem resulted in Mart suspensions, which contributed to the Panthers’ 35-33 loss to the Goats.

Nail said his players haven’t obsessed about getting revenge for the Panthers’ only loss of 2006. He claims they’re wrapped up in the tradition of a rivalry that’s been going on for 90 years.

Mart has bigger objectives this season than avenging a nondistrict loss, but I still think the Panthers will be after some redemption tonight.

Mart 49, Groesbeck 7

Kennedale (2-0)

at Robinson (1-1)

Just like in the Glen Rose-China Spring matchup, I give the edge in this one to the 17-3A program over the one from 12-3A.

There’s a slight difference here in that Kennedale has been the district favorite in 12-3A the last two years.

Robinson’s running game started to churn last week as Keenan Alford rushed for 113 yards, while Seth Mogavero posted 200 all-purpose yards.

Like Midway, Robinson opens its home slate with this one. I expect a big show for the home fans.

Robinson 42, Kennedale 21

Lorena (1-1)

at West (1-1)

In a way, West and Lorena mirror each other so far. Both lost in Zero Week, both won last Friday.

West’s 39-13 Trojan-war victory over Troy was a bit more impressive than Lorena’s 9-7 defeat of Whitney.

But a win is a win, especially for a squad like the Leopards, who snapped a 10-game losing streak.

Lorena coach Ray Biles said the task gets tougher with West.

“They’re a very physical team, the most physical we’ve played,” he said. “They’re very stingy on defense and they’ll come at you from all over the field.”

West also has more proven players on offense, plus the home-field edge.

West 27, Lorena 18

Crawford (2-0)

at Troy (1-1)

A year ago, Crawford had a 34-game regular-season winning streak and the No. 1 ranking in 2A when Troy came to town.

Troy left with a 25-3 victory, Crawford’s winning streak and ranking in the Trojans’ wake.

Think Crawford has forgotten? My favorite Western character, the outlaw Josey Wales, said it best: “There ain’t no forgetin.’ ’’

Crawford 35, Troy 6

mwynn05
09-14-2007, 10:59 AM
why were the parr bros playin for la vega

burnet44
09-14-2007, 11:17 AM
police problems
eligibility problems

is what ive heard
but its just rumors
they havent played I dont think

there is some kind of problem some where
but Ill bet it gets cleared up by district?
lol

Dogman_1969
09-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Heard the Parr brothers had moved and established residence in Mart and then returned to La Vega and UIL is wanting them to sit out a year of their elgibility.

JR2004
09-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
police problems
eligibility problems

is what ive heard
but its just rumors
they havent played I dont think

there is some kind of problem some where
but Ill bet it gets cleared up by district?
lol

It'll be fun to see how good LaVega will be if both of them get reinstated by the UIL to play. I had heard before the year started that there was a chance they wouldn't be playing. I hope both are able to play this year. Good to see that Williams has his Pirates playing very well without either of them right now.