PDA

View Full Version : crappy call....?

necks_c/09
09-14-2007, 06:20 AM
so last night when we played st pius we kicked off, the kickoff was short and it bounced and hit one of the st pius players in the leg on about the 10 yd line....

the ball then rolled into the endzone and st pius ran back there and the refs called a touchback.....

i was pretty sure that in this situation they were supposed to run it out or it would be called a safety....

somebody fill me in....

whtfbplaya
09-14-2007, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by necks_c/09
so last night when we played st pius we kicked off, the kickoff was short and it bounced and hit one of the st pius players in the leg on about the 10 yd line....

the ball then rolled into the endzone and st pius ran back there and the refs called a touchback.....

i was pretty sure that in this situation they were supposed to run it out or it would be called a safety....

somebody fill me in....

They were right. Change the title in your post. (It makes you look bad)

LH Panther Mom
09-14-2007, 07:26 AM
Does the ball hitting his leg not make it "live"? I'm not questioning, I just like to understand for future reference. :)

piratebg
09-14-2007, 07:28 AM
On a kickoff, the ball is live once it goes 10 yards for where it is kicked off. After that, it's anyones ball.

VAMike
09-14-2007, 07:35 AM
As was stated, the kickers can recover the ball after it has gone 10 yards or after it has touched a receiving team player. If the kickoff were to have bounced into the end zone without ever being touched by the receivers, ball would become dead immediately. If the receivers did touch it then the ball would stay live but the kick could still be downed in the end zone by the receivers for a touchback.

LH Panther Mom
09-14-2007, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by VAMike
As was stated, the kickers can recover the ball after it has gone 10 yards or after it has touched a receiving team player. If the kickoff were to have bounced into the end zone without ever being touched by the receivers, ball would become dead immediately. If the receivers did touch it then the ball would stay live but the kick could still be downed in the end zone by the receivers for a touchback.
:kiss: TYVM!

JasonTX
09-14-2007, 01:17 PM
If you look in your rule books (I know all you fans have them or how else would you know the rules, right? :D ) you'll find a rule that is titled "Impetus". It deals with who is the responsible team for putting the ball into the end zone. Here it is below.

SECTION 7. Responsibility and Impetus
Responsibility
ARTICLE 1. The team responsible for the ball being out of bounds behind a goal line or being dead in the possession of a player on, above or behind a goal line is the team whose player carries the ball or imparts an impetus to it that forces it on, above or across the goal line, or is responsible for a loose ball being on, above or behind the goal line (A.R. 6-3-4-I).

Initial Impetus
ARTICLE 2. a. The impetus imparted by a player who kicks, passes, snaps or fumbles the ball shall be considered responsible for the ball’s progress in any direction even though its course is deflected or reversed after striking the ground or after touching an official or a player of either team (A.R. 6-3-
4-IV; A.R. 8-5-1-II, III, VIII, IX and XI; and A.R. 8-7-2-I-IX).
b. Initial impetus is considered expended and the responsibility for the ball’s progress is charged to a player:
1. If he kicks a ball not in player possession or bats a loose ball after it strikes the ground (Exception: The original impetus is not changed when a loose ball is batted or kicked in the end zone) (A.R. 8-7-2-V).
2. If the ball comes to rest and he gives it new impetus by any contactwith it.

Exceptions:
1. Rules 6-1-4-a and 6-3-4-a (A.R. 6-3-4-I-IV).
2. The original impetus is not changed when a ball at rest in the end zone is moved when touched by an official or a player.
c. A loose ball retains its original status when there is new impetus.

whtfbplaya
09-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by JasonTX
If you look in your rule books (I know all you fans have them or how else would you know the rules, right? :D ) you'll find a rule that is titled "Impetus". It deals with who is the responsible team for putting the ball into the end zone. Here it is below.

SECTION 7. Responsibility and Impetus
Responsibility
ARTICLE 1. The team responsible for the ball being out of bounds behind a goal line or being dead in the possession of a player on, above or behind a goal line is the team whose player carries the ball or imparts an impetus to it that forces it on, above or across the goal line, or is responsible for a loose ball being on, above or behind the goal line (A.R. 6-3-4-I).

Initial Impetus
ARTICLE 2. a. The impetus imparted by a player who kicks, passes, snaps or fumbles the ball shall be considered responsible for the ball’s progress in any direction even though its course is deflected or reversed after striking the ground or after touching an official or a player of either team (A.R. 6-3-
4-IV; A.R. 8-5-1-II, III, VIII, IX and XI; and A.R. 8-7-2-I-IX).
b. Initial impetus is considered expended and the responsibility for the ball’s progress is charged to a player:
1. If he kicks a ball not in player possession or bats a loose ball after it strikes the ground (Exception: The original impetus is not changed when a loose ball is batted or kicked in the end zone) (A.R. 8-7-2-V).
2. If the ball comes to rest and he gives it new impetus by any contactwith it.

Exceptions:
1. Rules 6-1-4-a and 6-3-4-a (A.R. 6-3-4-I-IV).
2. The original impetus is not changed when a ball at rest in the end zone is moved when touched by an official or a player.
c. A loose ball retains its original status when there is new impetus.

So what he is saying is that it is a TB.:doh: :nerd: :D

Phil C
09-14-2007, 02:14 PM
I say it was a touchback because even though it hit the player's leg the momentum of the ball carried it to the end zone and he ran back and covered the ball. If the defense had covered it they would have got a td.

3afan
09-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I say it was a touchback because even though it hit the player's leg the momentum of the ball carried it to the end zone and he ran back and covered the ball. If the defense had covered it they would have got a td.

that would have been my interpretation

VAMike
09-14-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

You are right twice

necks_c/09
09-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
They were right. Change the title in your post. (It makes you look bad) i know now, but thanks.....

thats also why i put a question mark on the end.... b/c i wasnt sure what was supposed to have happened

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by necks_c/09

somebody fill me in....

Sounds like you're dumb.