PDA

View Full Version : Trick plays for youth football, your help needed!

mistanice
09-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Some friends and I are coaching a 9-10 yr olds football team.

Now, I'm asking for any of you to give me a trick play for us to maybe use NEXT saturday. I would do it for this saturday, but it doesn't give us much time to actually get the play down.

I'm going to pick ONE play, and I will post the results of the trick play. Maybe I can do this every week, who knows.

I'm sure some of you have some good ones hidden in your playbook!

crzyjournalist03
09-13-2007, 02:36 PM
run the statue of liberty!!!!

VWG
09-13-2007, 02:37 PM
QB throwback, works at several levels.

crzyjournalist03
09-13-2007, 02:39 PM
run a lateral screen pass, then have the quarterback take off upfield and the RB throw the ball back to the QB.

piratebg
09-13-2007, 02:39 PM
hook and ladder

Long shot but I was watching Varsity Blues last night. :)

piratebg
09-13-2007, 02:47 PM
What kind of offense do you run?

BobcatBenny
09-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Are you looking for something unusual or are you looking for deception?

Keith7
09-13-2007, 02:51 PM
run toss alot and then throw in a reverse (to the fastest player on your team) off of it somewhere later in the game and it outta work.. simplicity is the key to trick plays at that level

Fotbol
09-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Double Reverse to the fastest kid on the team, after you run a reverse to both sides of the field, better use it second half.

LH Panther Mom
09-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
run the statue of liberty!!!!
:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: I was gonna say that. :p

scott Wilson
09-13-2007, 03:13 PM
Run a sweep out of the T-Formation. But instead of handing off to the 3 or 4 back, have the QB fake it, then nonchalantly keep walking facing the way he handed off. After a three count, he takes off opposite way. Saw it ran twice last year, and he scored in both games.

icu812
09-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Fake Reverse - it can be huge with little risk involved

Emerson1
09-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Do the wrong ball trick.

3afan
09-13-2007, 03:22 PM
if its something really weird tell the refs before the game so they don't mess it up for you (like the wrong ball trick)

mistanice
09-13-2007, 03:23 PM
We run out of Basic I formation, but occasionally out of the shotgun. Remember these are 9-10 year olds, so we would like to keep it somewhat simple.

thanks for the input so far. keep 'em coming!

icu812
09-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Do the wrong ball trick.

Please don't!! Thats way over the top.

How about hiking the ball to the FB through the QB legs (who is under center) and have the TB and QB fake option to one side while the FB runs the other way.

Phil C
09-13-2007, 03:28 PM
This may not be a legal play and if so please let us know.
Have the center snap the ball back to the QB who takes the ball but lays it back down under the center. The center grabs it and runs through the defensive line hopefully to surprise them and run it for a td.

Fotbol
09-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Have the center snap the ball back to the QB who takes the ball but lays it back down under the center. The center grabs it and runs through the defensive line hopefully to surprise them and run it for a td. The Ole Fumbleruski

Phil C
09-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
The Ole Fumbleruski

I wasn't sure what it was called Fotbol! I still don't know if it is legal or not.

Emerson1
09-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Have the center snap the ball back to the QB who takes the ball but lays it back down under the center. The center grabs it and runs through the defensive line hopefully to surprise them and run it for a td.
It's not legal in HS and college anymore I don't think, but I bet it is in the peewee leagues

piratebg
09-13-2007, 03:41 PM
How bout the swinging gate?

burnet44
09-13-2007, 03:46 PM
look dont run any trick stuff
it only kills the kids later
they think the way to win is run trick stuff
which is wrong

teach fundamentals
blocking tackling passing running
if you have solid fundamentals
you wont need trick plays
you will be ahead by a bunch

Emerson1
09-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Do the play where you have the entire team line up right by the sidelines, then have someone run over to the ball and hike it to someone standing behind 6 men who are on the line. It looks like they are huddling for TO or something. Alabama or Arkansas ran it last year

piratebg
09-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Do the play where you have the entire team line up right by the sidelines, then have someone run over to the ball and hike it to someone standing behind 6 men who are on the line. It looks like they are huddling for TO or something. Alabama or Arkansas ran it last year

Originally posted by piratebg
How bout the swinging gate?

I believe I beat ya to the punch. :D

Txbroadcaster
09-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
look dont run any trick stuff
it only kills the kids later
they think the way to win is run trick stuff
which is wrong

teach fundamentals
blocking tackling passing running
if you have solid fundamentals
you wont need trick plays
you will be ahead by a bunch

IMO nothing wrong with working in a trick play or 2, kids enjoy running them and keeps it all fun

mistanice
09-13-2007, 04:06 PM
It's not legal in HS and college anymore I don't think, but I bet it is in the peewee leagues

they tried it on us last saturday, but they didn't score. lol

burnet44
09-13-2007, 04:09 PM
you have to break from the huddle
outside the 9 yard mark

thats the top of the numbers

mistanice
09-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
IMO nothing wrong with working in a trick play or 2, kids enjoy running them and keeps it all fun

was about to say the same thing. Don't get me wrong, we teach the fundamentals, and just to add a little fun and excitement for the kids, we run a trick play on gameday.

sinton66
09-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
We run out of Basic I formation, but occasionally out of the shotgun. Remember these are 9-10 year olds, so we would like to keep it somewhat simple.

How about the old Swinging gate?

icu812
09-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Several problems with the Fumbleruski, 1) it's probably not legal, 2) the refs will likely blow the play dead and 3) the center may be over the weight limit for carrying the ball.

If your overmatched instead of trying trick plays do something different. Use an unbalance line. Pull a lineman and run a trap play.

Emerson1
09-13-2007, 04:18 PM
There you go
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dcUAzVb6GpI

Mustangpride09
09-13-2007, 04:19 PM
The center stands up and tells the ref the balls flat, the quarterback says "here, gimme the ball." So the center hands him the ball. He starts walking towards the ref with the ball and then he takes up field. We ran that when I played pee-wee.

Emerson1
09-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by icu812
Several problems with the Fumbleruski, 1) it's probably not legal, 2) the refs will likely blow the play dead and 3) the center may be over the weight limit for carrying the ball.

If your overmatched instead of trying trick plays do something different. Use an unbalance line. Pull a lineman and run a trap play.
I think he wants something that is fun and different

Emerson1
09-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Do you have a big boy with an arm?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=325EPKm2KIs&mode=related&search=

Rabbit'93
09-13-2007, 04:24 PM
My peewee coach had us run one when i was a kid. Worked pretty good to.

LOOK - Have your team line down in your regular run formation. Have your QB start his cadence. Down - set - at this point have your entire team look over to the sideline of your choice and shout LOOK! when that happens have your center snap the ball to the QB and run around the end.

buff4life
09-13-2007, 04:30 PM
run the fumbleruski...

Emerson1
09-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Copperas Cove did this last year twice on a punt formation so it much be legal, got an easy 5 yards and a first down. The line got in a punt blocking stance in a punt formation, and after being set the entire line went form bending over to up straight real fast then back down and the other line jumped. I didn't think it was legal because they had already been set for a second, but then again maybe they hadn't been.

DU_stud04
09-13-2007, 04:38 PM
run a fullback wraparound..... ive seen it run in highschools where the fullback just takes off for about 50-60 yards every time.

piratebg
09-13-2007, 05:24 PM
See anything you like yet?

KTA
09-13-2007, 05:42 PM
How about hiking the ball to the FB through the QB legs (who is under center) and have the TB and QB fake option to one side while the FB runs the other way.

We used to run a varation of this play in pee wee. Our center would snap the ball to the fb and the QB would run to the short side of the field (acting as if he has the ball), while the fb is running a sweep towards the long side of the field. The WR lined up on the short side of the field would run a deep post, and the FB would chunk a bomb to him (me). We litterally scored ever time we ran this play, we called it "Magic".

JasonTX
09-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Don't do the "fumblerooski" or the "wrong ball" play.

7-1-7: A team A player may not advance a planned loose ball in the vicinity of the snapper. Penalty: 5 yard from the previous spot and loss of down.

Unfair Tactics
9-2-2-c: No equipment may be used to confuse the opponents. Penalty: Live ball foul. 15 yards from the previous spot.

This rule prevents the "wrong ball", "where's the tee", "I need the kicking shoe" and whatever else is used to confuse the defense.

Astrosdawg07
09-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by mistanice

Reverse, it will always wrok...