PDA

View Full Version : UT player arrested

mistanice
09-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Tyrell Gatewood this time, again.

He was arrested last night at 11 p.m. in the 6700 block of Wentworth in Austin.

He's facing two charges of possession of a dangerous drug and one charge of an out of county misdemeanor (reckless driving, Dallas County).

via orangebloods.com

wedo
09-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Well he his a gonner!! See ya

3afan
09-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by wedo
Well he his a gonner!!

lets hope so ...

LH Panther Mom
09-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Home > Bevo Beat > Archives > 2007 > September > 13 > Entry

Longhorn safety Gatewood arrested on drug charge
Thursday, September 13, 2007, 10:40 AM

Longhorn senior safety Tyrell Gatewood was booked into Travis County Jail at 12:36 a.m. Thursday on a misdemeanor charge of possession of a dangerous drug.

He also faces what jail records describe as an “out of county misdemeanor.”

This is the second run-in with the law for the 22-year-old Gatewood in the past year. He was in the car with cornerback Tarell Brown and former linebacker Aaron Harris last year when they were pulled over a before the Ohio State game, resulting in marijuana and gun possession charges.

The charge against Gatewood — a misdemeanor charge of marijuana possession — was later dropped when he passed a drug test, but he and Brown were suspended for the Ohio State game.

Gatewood, who has bounced between safety and receiver in his college career, has played on special-teams for the Longhorns this season.

Statesman link (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2007/09/13/longhorn_safety.html)

See ya...... :wave: :dispntd: :dispntd:

Old Tiger
09-13-2007, 12:49 PM
What's a dangerous drug?

Sweetwater Red
09-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
What's a dangerous drug?

All of them.

Ranger Mom
09-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Texas player arrested for drug possession, another cited

AUSTIN (AP) — Texas senior safety Tyrell Gatewood remained in jail Thursday after his arrest on drug charges, the fifth arrest of a Longhorns player since June.

Freshman defensive back Ben Wells, 18, who was riding with Gatewood when he was pulled over late Wednesday, was given a citation for possession of drug paraphernalia and released.

Gatewood, 22, was charged with two counts of possession of a dangerous drug. It was his second drug-related arrest in a year, although misdemeanor possession charges were dropped after his arrest last September. He was suspended for a game.

Texas athletic officials planned to release a statement later Thursday.

Gatewood and Wells were pulled over by a Travis County sheriff's deputy for failing to signal a turn. Smelling marijuana, the deputy searched the vehicle and found pot, Xanax and a baby bottle full of codeine cough syrup, said Travis County sheriff's spokesman Roger Wade.

Bond was set for Gatewood at $2,500 for each count. Gatewood also was being held on an arrest warrant from Dallas County on a reckless driving charge from March. Bond for that charge was set at $500.

Linebacker Sergio Kindle and defensive end Henry Melton, both arrested on drunken driving charges during the summer, are serving three-game suspensions that will end after Saturday's game at Central Florida.

Freshman linebacker Dre Jones was suspended indefinitely last month after being charged with aggravated robbery. Former safety Robert Joseph was charged in the same incident. Joseph had already left the team after being arrested in a separate incident earlier in the summer.

Gatewood, from Tyler, switched from receiver to safety before the 2006 season, and has played mostly on special teams.

Wells graduated early from Beaumont Ozen High School and enrolled at Texas so he could participate in spring drills. He was named to the Associated Press Sports Editors Class 4A all-state team last season.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/big12/2007-09-13-texas-arrest_N.htm

Bull19
09-13-2007, 01:03 PM
sure are some fine young gentlemen up their in austin:rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
09-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Wells graduated early from Beaumont Ozen High School and enrolled at Texas so he could participate in spring drills.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/big12/2007-09-13-texas-arrest_N.htm
It certainly doesn't hurt to be there early to help make "friends". :doh: :doh:

BMOC
09-13-2007, 01:15 PM
You would hope that a kid graduating early to get on with their future would make better choices.

Old Tiger
09-13-2007, 01:17 PM
All Ben Wells got was a MIP. Not a big deal.

JasperDog94
09-13-2007, 01:20 PM
I hope the kid can get his life turned around, but he doesn't need to see the field again this year.

JasperDog94
09-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
sure are some fine young gentlemen up their in austin:rolleyes: as opposed to....

Ranger Mom
09-13-2007, 01:23 PM

Is a MIP considered the same thing as possession of drug paraphernalia??

That's illegal no matter HOW old you are!!

Old Tiger
09-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Is a MIP considered the same thing as possession of drug paraphernalia??

That's illegal no matter HOW old you are!! They are equivalent. Both misdameanors.

Do some community service, pay a fine, take a narcotics awareness class. That's all you have to do.

44INAROW
09-13-2007, 01:27 PM
and it burns me up to think there is probably some fine, deserving young man who was turned down or not looked at for a scholarship and this individual was given a chance and is throwing it away - I am not UT bashing - I think this sort of thing goes on all over the place. I wish those fortunate enough to get "the full ride" would appreciate what a gift it is............... I won't make any more comments on this subject cause I get way too worked up about it.. :doh:

Rocket Dad
09-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Yes, it is a big deal! That's the problem these days with the 17-20 year olds, "just an MIP". The laws are in place for a reason, stay clear and stay out of trouble. These boys at the major universities are under a microscope and should take care of business while in school. They are in an awesome atmosphere and someone is footing the bill ($40,000 to $80,000 ) over 4 years. It is a BIG DEAL and it's about time we as adults make the consequences for these law breakers so tough that it sends a message to the incoming players.

Ranger Mom
09-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
Yes, it is a big deal! That's the problem these days with the 17-20 year olds, "just an MIP". The laws are in place for a reason, stay clear and stay out of trouble. These boys at the major universities are under a microscope and should take care of business while in school. They are in an awesome atmosphere and someone is footing the bill ($40,000 to $80,000 ) over 4 years. It is a BIG DEAL and it's about time we as adults make the consequences for these law breakers so tough that it sends a message to the incoming players.

I agree!! Throw his ass in drug rehab for at least 6 months like my kid is doing......it's darn sure made a believer outta him!!

While I don't agree with the circumstances that got him there, I am grateful for what all he has learned while there.

Blastoderm55
09-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Since when is it illegal to possess drug paraphernalia? I'm not condoning its usage, but hell, you can buy bongs and pipes and whatnot at just about any mall. If there was still drugs in it, I could understand the charge, but I guess just having the smell is bad enough.

All for failing to signal. :doh:

LH Panther Mom
09-13-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm guessing you've missed the "trend" by some of these guys. Maybe in terms of punishment, a MIP isn't that big of a deal. What's next? DWI? I hope Wells had a huge wake-up call. I'm thinking that was a pretty big rock he crawled out from under. I'm thinking that's where he must've been when all of the previous stuff was splashed all over the place. Now maybe I'm old and/or have learned a thing or two over the years. But, if I had the opportunity to play college football and get a FREE high-priced college education, I might pay attention to who I'm hanging out with and what they have been involved with. Just my $.02.....

Ranger Mom
09-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Since when is it illegal to possess drug paraphernalia? I'm not condoning its usage, but hell, you can buy bongs and pipes and whatnot at just about any mall. If there was still drugs in it, I could understand the charge, but I guess just having the smell is bad enough.

All for failing to signal. :doh:

It's illegal to posses it if you are caught with marijuana at the same time!!!!

Heck....it seems like most drug arrests in a car are made after they were stopped for something else entirely!

hookandladder
09-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
It certainly doesn't hurt to be there early to help make "friends". :doh: :doh:

What are you trying to say.

LH Panther Mom
09-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
:clap: :clap: I'd like for someone to foot my kids' college bill. ;)

JasperDog94
09-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55

All for failing to signal. :doh: Ummmm, what else are you going to use a bong for? What about a crack pipe? There's only one use for it and that's why it's illegal.

pirate4state
09-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Ummmm, what else are you going to use a bong for? So why do they sell them in stores? Why aren't those business shut down?

JasperDog94
09-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
So why do they sell them in stores? Why aren't those business shut down? IMO they should be.

You're just talking about bongs because crack pipes aren't sold anywhere, right?

Keith7
09-13-2007, 02:47 PM
this is worst then the Bengals :eek: :p

Keith7
09-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Ummmm, what else are you going to use a bong for?

fyi, some people use water pipes for smoking tobacco

Sweetwater Red
09-13-2007, 02:49 PM
So why do they sell them in stores? Why aren't those business shut down?

Head shops are able to stay open because they sell their
products under the assumption that they are going to be used
for tobacco.:D

Yeah right!:rolleyes:

JasperDog94
09-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
fyi, some people use water pipes for smoking tobacco What, maybe .0001%?

Keith7
09-13-2007, 02:53 PM
What, maybe .0001%?

prolly, but it is because of that .0001% that "water pipes" are able to be sold..

3afan
09-13-2007, 02:54 PM

thats exactly the attitude that is getting so many in trouble

pirate4state
09-13-2007, 02:56 PM
IMO they should be.

You're just talking about bongs because crack pipes aren't sold anywhere, right?

I have no idea what a crack pipe even looks like, but I see bongs being sold at all kinds of places not just tabacco stores, which I always found odd.

mustang04
09-13-2007, 02:58 PM
ive gotten an MIP and an MIC...and my parents didnt find out until the day i turned 21 and told them...i took care of them myself...payed the fines, did the service went to the classes....those 2 misdemeanors are jokes

3afan
09-13-2007, 03:00 PM
they make be jokes with the legal system, but personally they should have been MAJOR wake-up calls for you

mustang04
09-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
they make be jokes with the legal system, but personally they should have been MAJOR wake-up calls for you
they werent...cuz it was really shady how i got them both.....

3afan
09-13-2007, 03:02 PM
you missed the point ... its not that you got them, but how you put yourself in position to get them

Keith7
09-13-2007, 03:03 PM
I have no idea what a crack pipe even looks like, but I see bongs being sold at all kinds of places not just tabacco stores, which I always found odd.

Many gas stations sale make shift crack pipes that you might not even be aware of.. If you've ever seen those little viles w/ a tiny rose in them at the counter at the gas station, those are used as crack pipes.. theres something kind of creepy about having crackpipes for sell in gas stations, but I guess thats what things have come to.. I don't smoke crack so don't think I know this from experience, I just have a friend who worked in a truckstop thru high school and he told me that those things are used for that

Keith7
09-13-2007, 03:04 PM
you missed the point ... its not that you got them, but how you put yourself in position to get them

I got a MIP when I was 19 and had to spend 30 hours at the zoo raking up goat crap.. talk about a wake up call

Ranger Mom
09-13-2007, 03:05 PM
Many gas stations sale make shift crack pipes that you might not even be aware of.. If you've ever seen those little viles w/ a tiny rose in them at the counter at the gas station, those are used as crack pipes.. theres something kind of creepy about having crackpipes for sell in gas stations, but I guess thats what things have come to.. I don't smoke crack so don't think I know this from experience, I just have a friend who worked in a truckstop thru high school and he told me that those things are used for that

WOW!!!

That will be my "learn something new everyday" for today!!

3afan
09-13-2007, 03:06 PM
I got a MIP when I was 19 and had to spend 30 hours at the zoo raking up goat crap.. talk about a wake up call

haha thats funny .....

goat crap that is, not the MIP

bring back memories?
http://www.serenutu.com/files/baby%20goats.jpg

Ranger Mom
09-13-2007, 03:08 PM

As of March 20, 2007, the sale of bongs was deemed ILLEGAL in the state of Michigan!

It's a state by state law apparantly!

I know a kid who got busted for drug paraphanalia because he had a "socket" with him......but, he also had pot!!

:rolleyes:

mustang04
09-13-2007, 03:10 PM
you missed the point ...

what was your point then???

heres how i got the MIC:

Blaines picnic is a big concert thing in San Angelo...well, my freshman year (when i didnt drink, i never drank in highschool or my first year of college) i went to blaines picnic with a cooler full of Cream Soda's, you know the IBC ones that are in glass bottles, well they wouldnt let me take them in cuz the glass, so i left them out in my truck....but i was broke now so i was at the concert alllll day it was freaking hott and i was thirsty...one of my friends gave me their route 44 sonic drink, it had vodka mixed with it but thats the only thing i could find that i didnt have to pay $5 for (thats how much they were selling water and sodas) well i get back to my dorm that night, i was trying to put my friend to sleep cuz he was plastered, while im in the restroom he lights up a cigarette and the smoke alarm goes off in our room....so the campus police show up, give me a breathalizer, and i had like a .02 and they gave me an MIC......

now my MIP:

I was at south padre 2 spring breaks ago....yes i was a drinker by this time...but all the guys left our condo to go to the beach early, so it was me, one other guy, and like 5 girls.....well we had to carry the cooler, well the other guy had just had shoulder surgery, and he couldnt carry the cooler, and i wasnt gonna make any of the girls who were all of age carry it...so i carried it for them....a bicycle cop stops me like right before we got to the beach and gave me an MIP even after i told him the circumstances.....

so what was your point again????

pirate4state
09-13-2007, 03:13 PM

:eek: that's pretty sad

Phil C
09-13-2007, 03:15 PM
:(

3afan
09-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by mustang04

heres how i got the MIC:

Blaines picnic is a big concert thing in San Angelo...well, my freshman year (when i didnt drink, i never drank in highschool or my first year of college) i went to blaines picnic with a cooler full of Cream Soda's, you know the IBC ones that are in glass bottles, well they wouldnt let me take them in cuz the glass, so i left them out in my truck....but i was broke now so i was at the concert alllll day it was freaking hott and i was thirsty...one of my friends gave me their route 44 sonic drink, it had vodka mixed with it but thats the only thing i could find that i didnt have to pay $5 for (thats how much they were selling water and sodas) well i get back to my dorm that night, i was trying to put my friend to sleep cuz he was plastered, while im in the restroom he lights up a cigarette and the smoke alarm goes off in our room....so the campus police show up, give me a breathalizer, and i had like a .02 and they gave me an MIC......

now my MIP:

I was at south padre 2 spring breaks ago....yes i was a drinker by this time...but all the guys left our condo to go to the beach early, so it was me, one other guy, and like 5 girls.....well we had to carry the cooler, well the other guy had just had shoulder surgery, and he couldnt carry the cooler, and i wasnt gonna make any of the girls who were all of age carry it...so i carried it for them....a bicycle cop stops me like right before we got to the beach and gave me an MIP even after i told him the circumstances.....

yeah sounds like you got a raw deal ...

mustang04
09-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
On ESPN2 tonight at 7 P.M. the WNBA plays game four between Detroit and Phoenix. This should be a great game. Phoenix has to win or the series is over.
Also at midnight on ESPN2 the important World Cup in Women's Soccer continues with the USA playing SWeden. Don't miss it!
Go USA!
are you kidding me.......

this has NOTHING to do w/ the thread and who really REALLY cares about the WNBA?!?!

Phil C
09-13-2007, 03:19 PM
are you kidding me.......

this has NOTHING to do w/ the thread and who really REALLY cares about the WNBA?!?!

AWWWWWWWW SHUT UP!!

j/k :) I have edited the post. My apologies.

mustang04
09-13-2007, 03:22 PM
AWWWWWWWW SHUT UP!!

haha.....i wouldnt have minded it if it would have had something to do w/ the thread THEN a "oh, BTW, tonight....etc etc..."

sorry, didnt mean to sound like i was jumping on ya....its just that that post was REALLY random

pirate4state
09-13-2007, 03:23 PM
AWWWWWWWW SHUT UP!!

now, THAT cracked me up!! :D

3afan
09-13-2007, 03:24 PM
.. REALLY random

just like the WNBA :p

Phil C
09-13-2007, 03:26 PM
haha.....i wouldnt have minded it if it would have had something to do w/ the thread THEN a "oh, BTW, tonight....etc etc..."

sorry, didnt mean to sound like i was jumping on ya....its just that that post was REALLY random

No offense taken. I meant my reply to be humorous abpve but maybe it was bad taste. It was my fault for not pressing the New Thread post instead of reply key when I posted the other thread. Apologies for the error once again. Besides I am not sure of the times or stations on these events. I have been getting contradictions.

Phil C
09-13-2007, 03:27 PM
just like the WNBA :p

:)

Phil C
09-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Good Grief! Another one! I know it is a UT ex QB but good grief! :(

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5132188.html

piratebg
09-13-2007, 05:17 PM

heres how i got the MIC:

now my MIP:

I don't see anything shady about them. :nerd:

piratebg
09-13-2007, 05:20 PM
My opinion is if you think you are old enough to play grown up games, then you are old enough to be punished like one.

JR2004
09-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Quite a run here lately with the arrests. I'm sure Mack will deal with it how he sees fit and that works for me.

sweetwater07
09-13-2007, 06:42 PM
and a baby bottle full of codeine cough syrup[/URL]

thats what i'm talking about:D

Blastoderm55
09-13-2007, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Head shops are able to stay open because they sell their
products under the assumption that they are going to be used
for tobacco.:D

Yeah right!:rolleyes:

Kind of like how you can find rolling paper at just about any convenience store. As if that many people actually roll their own tobacco. :rolleyes:

mustang04
09-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
My opinion is if you think you are old enough to play grown up games, then you are old enough to be punished like one.

thats a lame analogy.......

rockdale80
09-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Where is g$$?? He will be foaming at the mouth until he can get to his computer to comment on this subject.

Spin it. :D