PDA

View Full Version : anybody here go to Stephen F. Austin?

IHS Fan
09-13-2007, 11:04 AM
if so what did you think of the school and the surrounding area?

JasperDog94
09-13-2007, 11:07 AM
I went there and loved it. It's one of the most beautiful campuses around. Plus I got a quality education for much less than other universities. (music education)

Oh, and as far as the surrounding area, unfortunately there's not much to do. Not unless you like cow-tipping.:D

I hope that helps.

IHS Fan
09-13-2007, 11:12 AM
my son was approached by a coach from there and i was just wondering what it was like.

rockdale80
09-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I went there and loved it. It's one of the most beautiful campuses around. Plus I got a quality education for much less than other universities. (music education)

Oh, and as far as the surrounding area, unfortunately there's not much to do. Not unless you like cow-tipping.:D

I hope that helps.

Headliners Sports Bar is the greatest. Its beside the bowling alley. There are several bars to kill your time at, a couple restaurants, a bowling alley, renovated movie theaters, and a pretty campus. I liked it, but I cant say that everyone that went there did. SFA-the easiest school to get into, and the hardest to get out of.

JasperDog94
09-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
SFA-the easiest school to get into, and the hardest to get out of. lol...I've never heard that before.:D

JasperDog94
09-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Headliners Sports Bar is the greatest. Its beside the bowling alley. There are several bars to kill your time at I wasn't really into the bar scene so I don't know much about them. I do remember that there used to be a pretty popular sports bar across from Wally World on North Street. I always wanted to go there but never got around to it.

rockdale80
09-13-2007, 11:22 AM
I wasn't really into the bar scene so I don't know much about them. I do remember that there used to be a pretty popular sports bar across from Wally World on North Street. I always wanted to go there but never got around to it.

Sports Shack...I think the entire time I lived there I went 3 times. I wasnt into the bar scene either. We went to Headliners because it is a very relaxed place to sit and have a few with friends, and the music isnt so loud you cant talk.

mistanice
09-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Sports Shack...I think the entire time I lived there I went 3 times. I wasnt into the bar scene either. We went to Headliners because it is a very relaxed place to sit and have a few with friends, and the music isnt so loud you cant talk.

isn't Headliners a bit small? A few I remember are, Jitterbugs(it burned down a while back), Banita Creek Hall, the Annex, Bullfrogs, Lumberyard...

3afan
09-13-2007, 11:51 AM
class of '80 - loved it and the area - haven't been back since 2001 though :(

http://www.sfasu.edu/images/logo_sfa.jpg

Phil C
09-13-2007, 11:53 AM
I have seen it even though I never went there. It looks like it is a beautiful campus in a great city.

3afan
09-13-2007, 11:54 AM
I told a guy once that I went to Stephen F. Austin ... he said "Cool, I love Austin" :rolleyes:

I set him straight ...

rockdale80
09-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
isn't Headliners a bit small? A few I remember are, Jitterbugs(it burned down a while back), Banita Creek Hall, the Annex, Bullfrogs, Lumberyard...

Yes it sure is. Thats why I liked it.

JasperDog94
09-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
class of '80 - loved it and the area - haven't been back since 2001 though :(

http://www.sfasu.edu/images/logo_sfa.jpg You might have a difficult time recognizing the place. They put up a couple of parking garages. They've remodeled the UC (University Center). They also tore down the units (old army barracks) and put up a new (and very nice) apartment style dorm.

rockdale80
09-13-2007, 12:35 PM
You might have a difficult time recognizing the place. They put up a couple of parking garages. They've remodeled the UC (University Center). They also tore down the units (old army barracks) and put up a new (and very nice) apartment style dorm.

Yes. They have made the campus much more appeasing. Did I mention the the girl to guy ration is something like 5 or 6 girls to 1 guy. It is awesome :D

44INAROW
09-13-2007, 01:29 PM

I hope that helps.

the son of one of the ladies I work with is getting his PHd in Music at SFA. He just started student teaching this semester. He loves it up there.

rangerjoe33
09-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Beautiful area. Love the pine trees.

bullpen
09-14-2007, 08:58 AM
I guess by now you have the impression SFA is a great school, but I joined this forum specifically to reply to you. I went to SFA many years ago. My daughter is currently enrolled and my son, a Sr. now, plans to attend next year. I found SFA to be a quality place to get an education, with smaller classroom sizes. I got to know my profs and they knew me. I enjoyed it so much that I taught there for a year after graduation. Many of the other posters have mentioned the new facilities and the beauty of the campus. The other thing that is new (from when I attended) are SI's (student Instructors) who have previously made a A in the class, but attend again take notes and tutor their classmates. My daughter, does this along with tutoring 1 on 1 for other classes. This gives every student the greatest chance for success and it is all free to the student. One dorm has manditory GPAs (Wisely 3.5), another has manditory study hours per week. This would have been great for me first year and for those who need some structure. As an allumni I have hired many Lumberjacks and have found them to be as equiped as any other schools graduates.

JasperDog94
09-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by bullpen
I guess by now you have the impression SFA is a great school, but I joined this forum specifically to reply to you. I went to SFA many years ago. My daughter is currently enrolled and my son, a Sr. now, plans to attend next year. I found SFA to be a quality place to get an education, with smaller classroom sizes. I got to know my profs and they knew me. I enjoyed it so much that I taught there for a year after graduation. Many of the other posters have mentioned the new facilities and the beauty of the campus. The other thing that is new (from when I attended) are SI's (student Instructors) who have previously made a A in the class, but attend again take notes and tutor their classmates. My daughter, does this along with tutoring 1 on 1 for other classes. This gives every student the greatest chance for success and it is all free to the student. One dorm has manditory GPAs (Wisely 3.5), another has manditory study hours per week. This would have been great for me first year and for those who need some structure. As an allumni I have hired many Lumberjacks and have found them to be as equiped as any other schools graduates. Welcome Bullpen!!!

Great first post! I lived in Wisely when I stayed on campus for 2 years. It was only 2 buildings away from the music building, which is where I practically lived while I went to SFA. I know in the music department you really got to know your professors. As a matter of fact, I had one professor for 6 straight semesters. (Lots and lots of music theory.)

Again welcome to the board.:)