PDA

View Full Version : A&M teeters on mediocrity

luvhoops34
09-12-2007, 09:15 AM
College football: Analysis – Fifty games under Franchione, A&M teeters on mediocrity

Web Posted: 09/11/2007 11:23 PM CDT

Brent Zwerneman
San Antonio Express-News

COLLEGE STATION — For his 50th game as Texas A&M coach, Dennis Franchione offered up a doozy: A 47-45, death-defying, triple-overtime escape of Fresno State on Saturday.
Franchione wiped his brow, and Houdini would've been proud. Meanwhile, exhausted fans shuffling from Kyle Field asked, 50 games into the Franchione stint, how did it come to this?

How did it come to a triple-overtime game against a smaller program that finished 4-8 last season? The Aggies, however, did double up on Franchione's oft-stated goal of simply scoring one more point than their opponent.

Asked Tuesday if he was happy with his program's progress, Franchione responded, "We're 2-0. I'll take any ugly 2-0 there is in the nation. We're never completely happy. We're always trying to get better."

The No. 25 Aggies had better progress in a hurry, however, if they're to compete for their first Big 12 title in nearly a decade. A&M is lucky Bulldogs receiver Marlon Moore tried sticking the ball out for a touchdown — resulting in a fumble — during Saturday's first overtime.

Otherwise, the Aggies would be 1-1, and Franchione might've had a tough time holding on to his gig — during the season.

A road game at Miami looms Sept. 20, with contests later in the season at Texas Tech, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Missouri, comprising A&M's rockiest schedule since the league started play in 1996.

The above games are supposed to be tough. Fresno State wasn't.

"There are obviously some things we need to work on," offensive coordinator Les Koenning said.

Franchione is a mediocre 27-23 through 50 games at A&M, but this was supposed to be the season that his veteran squad finally emerged as a true threat in the league.

Instead, all of the old questions about A&M's direction are bubbling to the surface. As one frustrated A&M graduate put it, Franchione was hired to close the gap with Texas and OU, not Baylor and Iowa State.

A&M has struggled particularly in its passing game, where it ranks 115th nationally (out of 119 teams).

"I thought we would be throwing the ball a little better like you guys have said, but we've played a lot better teams than we did at this time last year," Franchione said. "I was disappointed we didn't drive the spike on Saturday, but we still came up with more points than they did."

Franchione, 56, already owns the worst overall loss and the two worst bowl losses in school history over his previous four seasons.

All of that, however, was alleged to be in the past. This year, veteran quarterback Stephen McGee and a veteran offensive line were to form the foundation for one of the league's most potent attacks — one that propelled the Aggies into the thick of the Big 12 race.

"I remember having these conversations with you guys last year," offensive lineman Kirk Elder told reporters Tuesday about A&M's sluggish start.

Last season, the Aggies struggled in a 28-24 nonconference victory over Army in the Alamodome before finishing 9-4 with an upset at rival UT and a blowout loss to California in the Holiday Bowl.

In terms of toughness, however, the 2006 schedule can't compare with this season's rugged slate — one that might wind up costing Franchione his job should A&M finish 7-5 or 6-6.

Asked Tuesday what he hoped to see out of his players with the meat of A&M's schedule upcoming, defensive coordinator Gary Darnell said, "60 minutes."

A legion of Aggies who pay about 60 bucks per ticket couldn't agree more — because they expect more in Franchione's fifth season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bzwerneman@express-news.net

Phil C
09-12-2007, 09:41 AM
I thought they were doing pretty good this year. They have won both games they have played so far.