PDA

View Full Version : Progreso Red Ants Students

footballgal
09-12-2007, 09:12 AM
**RED ANT FEVER**
It's amazing what winning does; One more article on the Red Ants.

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/pictures/1189604188-progressoteam.jpg
By JOSHUA VINCE, The Monitor
From left, Juan Vega, Angel Alaniz, J.D. Cantu and Abundio Garcia display the tools of their trade recently near the Progreso score board. These high school students balance a variety of after-school activities along with their class work.

students mix football, band and pre-military training

By DANIEL PERRY, The Monitor
September 12, 2007 - 8:36AM
By JOSHUA VINCE, The Monitor

Progreso High School senior JD Cantu is eager for as many people as possible to know about his campus.

So, the 17-year-old senior figured he would get involved in as many activities he could.
“I want to leave my mark behind,” JD said. “I want people to know me, what I contributed to the school.”

JD is one of several students around the area who are busy this fall multitasking their activities.

He plays drums in the school marching band and is a battalion commander in the Junior ROTC unit that works at all home football games ushering, presenting the colors and raising the American flag. JD was also on the Red Ants football team up until this year.

Another JROTC member, junior Juan Vega, is a running back on the team.

And for junior Angel Alaniz and senior Abundio Garcia, it is football and the band between which they split their time. During games Angel is a fullback and Abundio is a tight end.
At halftime, Angel grabs the euphonia, a small tuba, and Abundio taps the baritone saxophone.

The students play the first part of the game, then take off their helmets and shoulder pads and grab their instruments for halftime, before talking to their coaches about their adjustments and playing the rest of the game.

“I’m surprised at how they can do this,” said band director James Yates. “The students here are very involved.”

Angel said he enjoys both activities because they involve teamwork.

Abundio said he likes being on the field under the Friday night lights.

“It’s the feeling you get being on the field and the home crowd,” he said.

He said marching is just as tough as football. While both involve learning formations, it takes concentration to listen to the music, play and make sure not to run into anyone during the performance.

“The instrument demands a lot,” he said. “You’ve got to love it to do it.”

Conflicting after-school practices are not a problem because the band and JROTC practices during the school day and the football team practices in the late afternoon after classes are over.

Once football season is over the students stay just as busy in the spring.

Juan plays on the school’s soccer team; Abundio plays on the basketball team; and Angel plays softball for his church’s team to keep in shape. Football drills and concert band competitions are also in the mix.

The key to sharing students is for advisors to be flexible with when they are needed for activities, said Sgt. 1st Class Mario A. Ramirez, the school’s golf coach and JROTC advisor.

“It keeps them busy and active,” Ramirez said.

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/sports/football_80154___article.html/school_students.html

pirate4state
09-12-2007, 09:16 AM
I hope they continue to do well, maybe they'll be this years PLC. :)

44INAROW
09-12-2007, 09:17 AM
nice to see good things happening in Red Ant country:)

luvhoops34
09-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Nice article on the Red Ants! Thanks footballgal.:D

footballgal
09-12-2007, 09:28 AM
You welcome! :)

The little guys, deserve the attention too. :clap:

Especially in the RGV, it's mostly about the 5As.

GreenMonster
09-12-2007, 10:56 AM
I guess if I were to ever go through Progresso I'll need to make sure I have a big ol' bag of Ortho Red Ant Killer and drop it off on the front steps of the school as a prank.

burnet44
09-16-2007, 06:55 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005K89D.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg