PDA

View Full Version : NFL determines Patriots Violates Rules...

PHS Wildcats
09-11-2007, 05:06 PM
by video taping NY Jets defensive signals.

Just saw it on Sportscenter

crzyjournalist03
09-11-2007, 05:11 PM
story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014677

Txbroadcaster
09-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Makes u wonder HOW long the PAts have done this

Maroon87
09-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Makes u wonder HOW long the PAts have done this

The Packers and Chargers voiced concern about it last year when they played the Pats.

burnet44
09-11-2007, 05:28 PM
a long time
just havent been caught a lot lol

JasperDog94
09-11-2007, 05:47 PM
You mean to say you think it could be beneficial to your QB to know what the defense is going to do before they do it?:eek:

Maroon87
09-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Sources: Goodell determines Pats broke rules by taping Jets' signals
By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has determined that the New England Patriots violated league rules Sunday when they videotaped defensive signals by the New York Jets' coaches, according to league sources.

NFL security officials confiscated a camera and videotape from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella on the New England sidelines when it was suspected he was recording the Jets' defensive signals. Sources say the visual evidence confirmed the suspicion.

Goodell is considering severe sanctions, including the possibility of docking the Patriots "multiple draft picks" because it is the competitive violation in the wake of a stern warning to all teams since he became commissioner, the sources said. The Patriots have been suspected in previous incidents.

The Patriots will be allowed an opportunity to present their case by Friday, sources said, most likely via the telephone.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said on Tuesday that no official decision has been made and that the club has not been notified.

The league also was reviewing a possible violation into the number of radio frequencies the Patriots were using during Sunday's game, sources said. The team did not have a satisfactory explanation when asked about possible irregularities in its communication setup during the game.

Goodell is expected to have a decision no later than Friday but that is not set in stone.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

charlesrixey
09-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
You mean to say you think it could be beneficial to your QB to know what the defense is going to do before they do it?:eek:

wierd!

88bobcats
09-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Makes you wonder how many of those single-digit wins would be losses without the cheating? Those three Super Bowls are now certainly suspect.....

I can't wait to hear 'em try to explain this.

Definitely low class!

JR2004
09-11-2007, 07:12 PM
You know if they were just trying to observe the signals without the aid of a camera I'd have no problem with this. You can't make someone not look at the guys sending in the signals. However when you are videotaping them doing it and taking it back to study it that's where you've crossed a big line.

I'll be interested to see how hard Roger the Impaler comes down on Belichick and the Pats. They've got to at least lose several draft picks and be fined a rather large sum by the league office. It wouldn't shock me to see it be at least 500k. I wouldn't even be against that game last week being forfeited or seeing Belichick serve a multiple game suspension for this.

Diocletian
09-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Good.... now they can stop comparing Brady to Montana, i'm getting sick of hearing them say he is even the same class with Montana.

Turns out he was just fed the right calls to make him look good. He won't be everyone's hero for much longer.

BobcatBenny
09-11-2007, 07:55 PM
How in the world did they keep this quiet for so long?

Certainly coaches that knew have gone onto other jobs. Wouldn't they have blabbed?

I guess you could just keep it in the coaching ranks and call the best plays with the info, but to be most effective, at least the QB would need to know.

DDBooger
09-11-2007, 07:58 PM
wow! what a black eye to the SUPPOSED premier organization of the league.

zebrablue2
09-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
Good.... now they can stop comparing Brady to Montana, i'm getting sick of hearing them say he is even the same class with Montana.

Turns out he was just fed the right calls to make him look good. He won't be everyone's hero for much longer.

Montana was the best. He could read the defense with natural ability. IMO,he was the best.

mistanice
09-11-2007, 08:08 PM
now if I would have lost my fantasy football matchup because Randy Moss did so well, I wouldve called the commissioner myself! :mad:

KTA
09-11-2007, 08:09 PM
I think they should suspend there GM, as well as Bill. Fine there butt, and make them FF that game against the Jets. Are the pats better tehn the Jets?...yes, BUT if the game would of been played on a even playing field you NEVER KNOW what would of happend

Fal44
09-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Makes you think If other teams do this too..

GreenMonster
09-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Guys, considering the fact that there is only 25 seconds between plays and the huddle needs to be broken in time for everyone to get back to their position cutting out another 10-15 seconds, that would only leave the offensive coordinator 10 seconds to read the defensive signals, translate it into his own terminology, pick a play (out of several hundred) that would best take advantage of the defensive allignment, etc, etc ,etc. I'm sorry but it isn't real feasible. More than likely the Pats were looking for something very specific that might hint at an up coming blitz so they can check into a run. Not only that but defensive signals are often called late because the DC wants to see what personnel the offense has in the game and he will adjust accordingly. Pats may have gained a slight advantage on somewhere between 2 and 10 plays a game.

3afan
09-12-2007, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Guys, considering the fact that there is only 25 seconds between plays and the huddle needs to be broken in time for everyone to get back to their position cutting out another 10-15 seconds, that would only leave the offensive coordinator 10 seconds to read the defensive signals, translate it into his own terminology, pick a play (out of several hundred) that would best take advantage of the defensive allignment, etc, etc ,etc. I'm sorry but it isn't real feasible. More than likely the Pats were looking for something very specific that might hint at an up coming blitz so they can check into a run. Not only that but defensive signals are often called late because the DC wants to see what personnel the offense has in the game and he will adjust accordingly. Pats may have gained a slight advantage on somewhere between 2 and 10 plays a game.

cheating this way is entirely feasible: its not done real time ... as i heard it explained the pics of the coaches signals are correlated to what the defense really did, then they watch for specific signals in similar situations later in the game. its not like stealing a steal sign in baseball and you know the runner is gonna steal the next pitch.

and, the Pats & Belichick are being ripped unmercifully on the talk shows this morning. he could lose his job ....

TheDOCTORdre
09-12-2007, 07:03 AM
like i was saying theyre not that great My Take on the Pats (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26113&highlight=rigged+Patriots)

Phil C
09-12-2007, 09:50 AM
:eek:

crzyjournalist03
09-12-2007, 09:51 AM
maybe I'm still not understanding this fully, but to me it would seem as though any information gathered would be more beneficial for the second time the teams meet this season than Sunday's contest.

3afan
09-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
maybe I'm still not understanding this fully, but to me it would seem as though any information gathered would be more beneficial for the second time the teams meet this season than Sunday's contest.

true - but if the info was gathered in the first half they'd be able to put it to use in the 2nd half

crzyjournalist03
09-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
true - but if the info was gathered in the first half they'd be able to put it to use in the 2nd half

do they have the capabilities to get the video from the camera to the booths that quickly? I know that they take pictures during the game that players examine, but I wasn't sure if they could use streaming video to do the same.

JasperDog94
09-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
true - but if the info was gathered in the first half they'd be able to put it to use in the 2nd half Well the score was only 14-7 Patriots in the first half. The second half is where they blew it open.

And it really doesn't matter if Tom Brady only got the defensive call 2 seconds before the snap count. Any time you know what's coming before the ball is snapped, it gives you an advantage.

rangerjoe33
09-12-2007, 10:04 AM
I believe that other teams (not all) have similar or same ethics but have not been caught.

crzyjournalist03
09-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by rangerjoe33
I believe that other teams (not all) have similar or same ethics but have not been caught.

Maybe every team the Bears have played in the last two years have studied OCs and found out what Rex Grossman is going to do!

Or maybe he just sucks.

rangerjoe33
09-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Maybe every team the Bears have played in the last two years have studied OCs and found out what Rex Grossman is going to do!

Or maybe he just sucks.

Uhh, he just really is not very good. Good call.

GreenMonster
09-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Any time you know what's coming before the ball is snapped, it gives you an advantage.

In all reality there is no way Brady can get all of the information needed to know everything that the defense is going to do. He may get a hit on what one particular guy is going to do and that's about it. There is no way the Pats are actually getting enough information translated for this to be as big of a deal as the news media is making it out to be. Honestly, I can't see them getting enough useful information out of it to even waste the time and manpower it takes video it, decipher it, translate it, pick a play to beat it, send said play in, and actually execute it. There's just too much that has relayed and not enough time between plays for it to have a huge impact.

Jason1725
09-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Each team gets printout of the formations during the game, they are on fax paper and everyteam does this, you will see them looking at them during the game sometimes on TV. Now if the Pats were stealing signals all they would have to do is match the signal with the play and there you have the play. It makes sense why they are always in the right place at the right time.

Diocletian
09-12-2007, 10:50 PM
they won 2 super bowls with average players and another with decent talent......... weird how they are by far the only team to ever do that, and by the way for another weird thing the players are for the most part banned from talking to the press, another tactic induced by their coach protecting the hidden things they do from possibly coming out durring an intense interview

all you have to do is watch the video of his interview on espn.com to know what he was doing is wrong, he has the same look of a 12point in some headlights

JR2004
09-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
they won 2 super bowls with average players and another with decent talent......... weird how they are by far the only team to ever do that, and by the way for another weird thing the players are for the most part banned from talking to the press, another tactic induced by their coach protecting the hidden things they do from possibly coming out durring an intense interview

all you have to do is watch the video of his interview on espn.com to know what he was doing is wrong, he has the same look of a 12point in some headlights

It'll be interesting to see how hard the commissioner comes down on Belichick and the Patriots organization as a whole. I think it'll involve draft picks and a fine, but I wouldn't be shocked if he really lowered the boom and suspended Belichick for anywhere from 2-4 games.

Big Papa
09-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

i thought in the nfl they had a 40 second play clock

JasperDog94
09-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Big Papa
i thought in the nfl they had a 40 second play clock 25 second....I think. Anyway, what's your point?

Big Papa
09-12-2007, 11:28 PM
25 second....I think. Anyway, what's your point?
he was just making a point about how they only had 25 seconds but if it was 40 then it would give them 15 extra seconds

Diocletian
09-12-2007, 11:28 PM
You have a network of radios being used for instant transmit and receive voice transmissions...... you have a spy in the stands recording signs from a coach..... you have video tape to analyze from other games where you weren't caught, so you already have determined which sign is for which call, then you know what play the defence is going to run..... you tell the coordinator the sign he chooses a play that exploits the call perfectly and then the coach relays it to the QB

the whole process takes less then 10 secs, and you know they have plenty of practice at it, what else you think they do in the offseason?

The cheating comes in play with the camera, because it allows all of the coaches to evaluate the signals used by the opposition and crack their codes, and for the team together to plan it out, that's how they are able to make it work in less then 20 seconds.... and the possibility of WHAT they could do with just a camera is endless... they might have had a hidden live wireless RF feed to a receiver in the coordinator box, displaying a live close up durring certain 3rd downs or goal line situations, and then boom they score with ease.

If this was a high profile college team like Texas or USC, what do you think they would do?..... that's right suspend them from their wins, the penalty should be worse since it's the NFL and more is at stake here.

JR2004
09-13-2007, 08:25 AM

The NFL is 40 seconds.

coach
09-13-2007, 08:30 AM

you actually think peyton manning can call all those audibles in just 25 sec?