PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Women's World Soccer Cup in China

Phil C
09-11-2007, 11:06 AM
I will use this thread to post announcements and updates. This is going on in China right now and remember they are many hours difference between our time and their time.
The USA is in a difficult bracket of four with them being rated No. 1 and Sweden No. 3 and Korea No. 5. Also in the bracket at No. 4 is Nigeria who always plays the USA tough. So the USA needs to do good. They played this morning and tied Korea at 2 to 2. In fact we were lucky to come out with a tie but they almost made a goal during stopage time. We were most fortunate indeed.
Even though Korea is good we need to win those games so let's hope that this is a wake up call because they will need to play much better against Sweden. We will see.

Come on USA! Fight and Win! It is hard enough to recruit fans for you when you are winning! Please don't make it more difficult!

Sweetwater Red
09-11-2007, 11:24 AM
I was wondering if you were getting up at 3:55 a.m. to watch
some of these games?:D

Phil C
09-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I was wondering if you were getting up at 3:55 a.m. to watch
some of these games?:D

Not at all Sweetwater. :)

But now in all fairness to the USA team I didn't know yesterday something important. One of the USA's best players Abby Womback had to leave the game because of a head injury that required stictches. Under the rules she wouldn't have been able to come back into the game if they had substituted a player for her (stupid rule). So the USA had to play 10 players while she was out which meant North Korea had 11 players to our 10 and that is when they made there two points. Otherwise USA would probably have won.

Phil C
09-13-2007, 09:55 AM
The USA faces Sweden in a big game today. I am not sure what time it will be because China is several hours different from us. It may be very early Saturday morning on our time. But it is important for the USA to win this game.

Phil C
09-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Good news today as the Women's USA team beat Sweden 2 - 0! This is a big win and gives USA currently the advantage in the goals made tie breaker. Now we need to beat Nigeria. Abby Womback got a spectacular goal. Way to go Ladies!

3afan
09-14-2007, 09:58 AM
i'd rather watch this level of woman's soccer than the WNBA

Phil C
09-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Then there were 8!

After world qualifying rounds and getting the top 16 teams to
China we are down to eight teams. Basically the 16 final teams are placed in 4 brackets and the top 2 teams of each bracket make it to the quarterfinals. The teams are awarded points based on 3 points for a win and 1 point for a tie. In case they are tied they go by tie breakers such as No. of Goals made, etc.
Sweden was elimined by the tie breaker by one goal. They were rated no. 3 in the World and are probably the strongest team to not make the quarterfinals. Canada is also a good team that didn't make it.

The final teams are USA, Germany, Norway, Brazil, China, North Korea, England and Australia. I think either USA, Germany, Norway or Brazil will win it even though China has an edge being the home team. North Korea is a longshot and I don't think Australia or England will make the finals.

The USA plays England in the quarterfinals on Saturday in the A.M. hours if rain doesn't change the schedule.
Even though the USA is ranked No. 1 in the world I think Germany has the edge because of experience and being together longer but that edge may be shortened by the olympics time next year. We will see.
GO USA!!

Phil C
09-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Please bear in mind that starting with the quarterfinals that there will be no tie games. If the games aren't decided in regular time then they go to overtime but if they are not decided in OT then they will be decided by penalty kicks.

Phil C
09-21-2007, 08:52 AM
The quarterfinals start now.

Phil C
09-21-2007, 08:53 AM
Great news! The USA vs England game is on at 6:55 A.M. on Saturday morning instead of 3 A.M. So you have to get up early but not in the middle of the night. Good news indeed! Go USA!

Phil C
09-21-2007, 01:21 PM
GO USA!!

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/footy/

Phil C
09-23-2007, 11:34 AM
The following teams have reached the semis - Germany, USA, Norway and Brazil. All these teams are good teams and either one is capable of winning it all. On ESPN2 it will be Germany vs Norway at 6:55 A.M. on Wednesday and the USA vs Brazil on Thursday at 6:55 A.M. Good soccer indeed. USA is rated No. 1 but I feel that Germany should be since they have the most veteran team and the other two teams are capable teams too.

Go USA!

Phil C
09-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Today Germany defeated Norway in the semis 3 to 0. Team USA plays Brazil tomorrow morning on ESPN2 at 6:55 A.M. The winner of this match plays Germany for the Word Cup championship.

Team USA is great but Germany should have been ranked No. 1. They are awesome and they have an outstanding goalie that hasn't allowed a goal in World Cup Competition this year.

Of course Team USA has to get by Brazile first and Brazile has an excellent team.

Go USA!

Phil C
09-26-2007, 11:23 AM
He is a senior Quarterback from Pittsburgh and is considered by many recruiting services as the No. 1 recruit in the nation. He is considered a Vince Young type runner which is probably why he is interested in Texas. He is also a good basketball player and wants to play basketball in college. Plus he is a good student.

His final three are (from what I have heard) are Texas, Ohio State and Penn State. Most experts feel that Ohio State is favored followed closely by Penn State but he has expressed interest in Texas and if Texas starts to recruit him harder we might pull it off and get him.

I trust Coach Brown's jusgement and UT may not recruit him hard since they have interest from some outstanding 2009 quarterbacks. However if we do get him (and I am sure he will be offered a scholarship at UT) this will make a good recruiting class turn to great.

Come to Austin Terrelle. Come on down!

Phil C
09-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
He is a senior Quarterback from Pittsburgh and is considered by many recruiting services as the No. 1 recruit in the nation. He is considered a Vince Young type runner which is probably why he is interested in Texas. He is also a good basketball player and wants to play basketball in college. Plus he is a good student.

His final three are (from what I have heard) are Texas, Ohio State and Penn State. Most experts feel that Ohio State is favored followed closely by Penn State but he has expressed interest in Texas and if Texas starts to recruit him harder we might pull it off and get him.

I trust Coach Brown's jusgement and UT may not recruit him hard since they have interest from some outstanding 2009 quarterbacks. However if we do get him (and I am sure he will be offered a scholarship at UT) this will make a good recruiting class turn to great.

Come to Austin Terrelle. Come on down!

Oops! This was supposed to be a new thread. Oh well. :(

crzyjournalist03
09-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Oops! This was supposed to be a new thread. Oh well. :(

wow Phil...you hijacked your own thread! :thumbsup:

Phil C
09-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
wow Phil...you hijacked your own thread! :thumbsup:

;)