PDA

View Full Version : Academics are more important than athletics

mistanice
09-11-2007, 12:30 AM
By ROBERT SHY
Contributing writer

Saturday, September 08, 2007

School has been in session for about two weeks now, and many parents and children alike are talking about getting back into their school routine.

It is important to note that, as a parent, the routine you execute has a lot to do with the academic success of your children. If you emphasize studying and getting a good education, that is more likely to translate to better grades. On the other hand, if your focus is on athletics or other activities, then you may increase the likelihood of your children excelling in those areas.

I should also note that the nonverbal messages we send to the children are also critical. If you are among the thousands of people in the football stands for Lufkin home football games and travel to away games but have not been to a parent meeting at your children's school in years, then you may be sending the wrong message. If you know the name of the head coach, the offensive and defensive coordinators but not the principal, assistant principal and grade-level principal for your children, then you may be sending the wrong message. If you are asking your children how they played in the athletic games but not asking them how they are doing in school and about their school day, then you also may be sending the wrong message.

Schools and the coaches can also send the wrong message that athletics are more important than academics and hinder our children. If athletes are given preferential treatment and not expected to perform at a higher level in the classroom as they do on the ball field, then that may be sending the wrong message. If you expect a 100-percent win rate on the field but are satisfied with a 70-percent performance in the classroom, that may be sending the wrong message.

Two incidents from the 2006 football season stick out as glaring evidence that wrong messages are being sent to our students. The first is the early dismissal of all students and staff for the football game last year against The Woodlands. I know everyone was excited about playing on national television, but it was a bad decision to dismiss school early because of the game. The last time I checked, you could get to Conroe in less than two hours so those students and staff who wanted to attend the game could have gotten there if they left after the full school day was completed. If anyone wanted to leave early, they should have individually made provisions and accepted whatever consequences that arose from their premature departure from school.

The second incident appears to be an ongoing issue that exemplifies many people's perception of the football program. That involves tutoring and other academic assistance that is often given to football players. It appears that the tutoring assistance, whether it is voluntary or mandatory, usually ends after the first six weeks of school after the University Interscholastic League's (UIL) eligibility date passes. I checked the UIL Web site and the eligibility date for 2007 is Oct. 5 for the schools that started classes on Aug. 27. The eligibility rules are listed below:

A student who receives, at the end of any grading period (after the first six weeks of the school year), a grade below 70 in any class (other than an identified advanced class) or a student with disabilities who fails to meet the standards in the Individual Education Plan (IEP) may not participate in extracurricular activities for three school weeks.

My concern is that very few if any athletes are ruled ineligible after the first six weeks of school but by the end of the nine weeks or semester grading period, a number of them have grades below 70 percent. Some are way below 70 percent. This also holds true for other sports which begin later in the school year. They also have to follow the first six weeks of the grading period rule for the time period they are participating in their sport. Measures must be put in place to prevent these slides of athlete's grades. Not doing so only sends the message that we only care or are only concerned about their athletic ability.

There is also a major misconception from athletes and some of their parents that athletics is the easiest and best way for African-American children to be successful and escape poverty or improve their economic situation. This notion has been detrimental to the educational development of many of our student-athletes.

A good education is the best way to improve their economic circumstances. Only a small number of athletes receive college athletic scholarships, and those that are fortunate enough to receive them still have to be academically prepared for college to succeed. On the other hand, if the athletes are also good students, there are many funding opportunities for them to attend college, especially if they are from economically disadvantaged homes.

The message I want to leave you with today is that, although athletics is a major part of many schools and communities, we must remember that they are student-athletes and that we must be more concerned about their educational ability over their athletic prowess.

Robert Shy, a Lufkin resident, is a member of The Lufkin Daily News' Board of Contributors. His e-mail address is robertshy1@yahoo.com.

JHS_c/o_06'
09-11-2007, 12:33 AM
football is life.......im sorry.

big daddy russ
09-11-2007, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
football is life.......im sorry.
If my son ever used that excuse after performing poorly in school, I'd show him a picture of Kevin Federline. I'd then tell him that he, too, could marry someone like Shar Jackson, become a white-trash/redneck/gangsta, and have a bunch of stories about football or dry-humping females on stage if he just ignored his grades and played football.

Only problem is that he probably wouldn't be famous, his sugar momma would be pulling $7 an hour (meanwhile, minimum wage will climb to $10.25), he'd be dry-humping a 250-lb. toothless Arkansas girl, and he'd be driving a Yugo instead of a Range Rover.

And then I'd tell him to hit the books because if I (5'9," 160 lbs, 4.9 forty in HS) really am the biological father and Amanda (4'11," 110 lbs.) really is his biological mother, he's never going to make a living playing football.

He's going to have to support us one of these days, and I'm going to do everything I can to make sure I'm living the good life while I'm wearing a catheter.

big daddy russ
09-11-2007, 02:03 AM
On that note, let me just say that I could honestly care less if my kids get out early a couple days a year in order to support the football team. While I think academics are extremely important, I want my kid to be well-rounded.

DaHop72
09-11-2007, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
If my son ever used that excuse after performing poorly in school, I'd show him a picture of Kevin Federline. I'd then tell him that he, too, could marry someone like Shar Jackson, become a white-trash/redneck/gangsta, and have a bunch of stories about football or dry-humping females on stage if he just ignored his grades and played football.

Only problem is that he probably wouldn't be famous, his sugar momma would be pulling $7 an hour (meanwhile, minimum wage will climb to $10.25), he'd be dry-humping a 250-lb. toothless Arkansas girl, and he'd be driving a Yugo instead of a Range Rover.

And then I'd tell him to hit the books because if I (5'9," 160 lbs, 4.9 forty in HS) really am the biological father and Amanda (4'11," 110 lbs.) really is his biological mother, he's never going to make a living playing football.

He's going to have to support us one of these days, and I'm going to do everything I can to make sure I'm living the good life while I'm wearing a catheter. http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6639/lafxv3.gifhttp://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6639/lafxv3.gif

I love it, that was great Russ.

Old Tiger
09-11-2007, 07:49 AM
football gets you grades

IHStangFan
09-11-2007, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
football gets you grades maybe in Rockdale, and they STILL can't win a game. Well, at least all of the football players are on the honor roll. :rolleyes:

Old Tiger
09-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
maybe in Rockdale, and they STILL can't win a game. Well, at least all of the football players are on the honor roll. :rolleyes: anywhere brotha...what's with your recent targeting of me?

IHStangFan
09-11-2007, 07:59 AM
anywhere brotha...what's with your recent targeting of me? I don't target anyone in particular, I just find it hard to overlook comments that are obviously skewed and posted to stir the pot. You're lucky its just me and not the moderators...although I have a feeling that is coming. Just a word to the wise man, try to blend in and contribute with meaningful conversation/knowledge or you won't last long around here. Trust me, I know. That being said...I have no problenm w/ you on a personal level. Just trying to warn you.

Old Tiger
09-11-2007, 08:00 AM
I don't target anyone in particular, I just find it hard to overlook comments that are obviously skewed and posted to stir the pot. You're lucky its just me and not the moderators...although I have a feeling that is coming. Just a word to the wise man, try to blend in and contribute with meaningful conversation/knowledge or you won't last long around here. Trust me, I know. That being said...I have no problenm w/ you on a personal level. Just trying to warn you. Alright cool deal. I'm just stating that athletes get preferential treatment and you are naive to believe otherwise.

IHStangFan
09-11-2007, 08:03 AM
Alright cool deal. I'm just stating that athletes get preferential treatment and you are naive to believe otherwise. I'm sure its out there, but to think that ALL athletes do is a bit of a stretch. I was an athlete growing up (although I did not play football) and if I didn't have the grades, my butt was in the bleachers the next week watching, not playing...and it happened a time or two too. I'll agree that some athletes probably do get preferential treatment though.....can't totally argue that point.

luvhoops34
09-11-2007, 08:09 AM
I don't target anyone in particular, I just find it hard to overlook comments that are obviously skewed and posted to stir the pot. You're lucky its just me and not the moderators...although I have a feeling that is coming. .

BINGO:D

Old Tiger
09-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
BINGO:D luvhoops...if truth stirs the pot then I don't know what to tell anybody.

LH Panther Mom
09-11-2007, 08:15 AM
football gets you grades
What kind of grades is it getting you? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'm sure there are instances where a teacher will "bump" grades for athletes. If so, they are doing the students a great injustice.

We had open house last night at the high school. I learned that my son had an English project due today....funny that he had never told me about a project. I was asking him about it - he was reading tpx and told me "in a minute". HELLLLOOOOO!!!!! Nope, in a minute doesn't cut it when it comes to schoolwork. If you don't take care of your business in class, then reading message boards is the ONLY football you'll be having.

LH Panther Mom
09-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Oh yeah....link to this article?

LH Panther Mom
09-11-2007, 09:04 AM
You're lucky its just me and not the moderators...although I have a feeling that is coming.
Eh...that won't get him in hot water. But I try not to pass up an opportunity to point out a DA remark. ;)

mistanice
09-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Oh yeah....link to this article?

forgot here it is

http://www.lufkindailynews.com/featr/content/features/stories/2007/09/09/Shy.html

TexDoc
09-11-2007, 11:38 AM
While I don't have much of an issue concerning an early release for a distant game, I will say that I agree with this article.

When high school football becomes about anything more than education, it will not (and should not) be in our schools. We all pay taxes to educate our children, not to supplement the athletic program.

HippoBaseball05
09-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Usually the better the football program, the more tolerant of lower grades the administration will be.

Fact of life.

Unfortunately.

LH Panther Mom
09-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by HippoBaseball05
Usually the better the football program, the more tolerant of lower grades the administration will be.

Fact of life.

Unfortunately.
Why should an administration be tolerant of poor performance in the classroom? :confused:

Old Tiger
09-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Why should an administration be tolerant of poor performance in the classroom? :confused: They shouldn't but they are. Just the way it works...a star athlete can go through high school and college without picking up a pencil.

Buckeye80
09-11-2007, 12:28 PM
When you have a "good" coach, that coach pushes his players in the classroom as well as on the field. He also instills a sense of self-discipline within his team which causes his team to police each other on and off the field. As cheesy as this may sound, it has worked for the last few years in Gilmer.

Just as an example, the team bus had problems on the way back from Tyler last week and the team did not arrive back at the school until almost 2:30 in the morning. Despite this, not one player was late to class Friday morning. They didn't want to let their coaches or teammates down although they had a semi-valid excuse for taking it easy the next day.

That unity comes from genuine concern for one another, and I believe that it extends to the classroom.:)

bobcat04
09-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Great post Buckeye!!! Athletics can and does have a positive influence in the classroom.

BILLYFRED0000
09-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Life is moderation in all things. Without athletics where would we be? Without academics where would we be? Without art and music and literature where would we be? In all cases on all questions the simple truth is a place that is not as good as it is now. When will the academicians ever learn to like their athletic brothers and admit that they have a place too. Now we all know that some places put too high an emphasis on one or the other. But it should not be a contest. We should work together to provide the best environment for not only our children but us as well.

HippoBaseball05
09-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Why should an administration be tolerant of poor performance in the classroom? :confused:

Don't get me wrong Mom, I'm not saying that Hutto is doing such things. We are hardly a year in and year out traditional power....yet.

I just remember from my days in h.s. when the 'superstar'athletes seemed to get preferential treatment over the 'non-stars'. As a scrub, I'm just lucky I had the drive and intelligence to make my grades, go to school, and have an education to fall back on.

Revenues from football are a big deal. It's not that much of a stretch to imagine some of your larger schools 'helping' the better athletes along for the sake of the program. Especially when it is a larger school where it is easier to hide such actions due to the sheer numbers of students that are scrutinized.

hutex04
09-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Football players get special treatment in most schools, lets not kid ourselves

BrahmaMom
09-11-2007, 01:39 PM
But few high school players are on the field after they graduate. What they learn while in class makes a difference the rest of their life.

Emerson1
09-11-2007, 03:35 PM
We can even has a 0 on a daily grade without getting in trouble. Every Wednesday you have a grade report filled out by each teacher and 0's or failing is extracurricular running.

scott Wilson
09-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Athletes getting preferential treatment? Welcome to the 21st century. Thank TV, Nike,Reebok,Terrell Owens agent, (I won`t even say Dr#@ Ros@#@$%huas), and all the other stuff that goes along with being a "Superstar". As for High Schoolers, yeah, they probably get more glory and are looked at as a little more important. But shouldn`t they be? As long as it doesn`t go to their heads. They still make the grade. And when football is over, they realize they are just another perch in an overpopulated lake. Cause` 99% will NOT be moving on to the "next level". But they can enjoy the ride while they have the chance. And I feel like Russ, I want my child to be well-rounded, and understand how the real world works. What`s wrong with a community releasing the kids two whole hours early to go watch an important game? Do you REALLY think they were talking academics? I`m thinking they were probably talking about who was going to win the game and what they were gonna wear to it?

big daddy russ
09-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by scott Wilson
...And when football is over, they realize they are just another perch in an overpopulated lake.... And I feel like Russ, I want my child to be well-rounded, and understand how the real world works. What`s wrong with a community releasing the kids two whole hours early to go watch an important game?...
As many great points as you brought up, I think this was the best.

Community is important and should be stressed just as much as academics. That's part of being well-rounded, just like Scott said.

If your town needs people to volunteer, then volunteer. If your neighbor needs help, help him. Those are both examples of community. And if one night a week you and your family goes and spends three hours and $20 with your community (and the money goes back to the school), then I don't see what the big deal is.

Old Tiger
09-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by scott Wilson
Athletes getting preferential treatment? Welcome to the 21st century. Thank TV, Nike,Reebok,Terrell Owens agent, (I won`t even say Dr#@ Ros@#@$%huas), and all the other stuff that goes along with being a "Superstar". Terrell Owens?

That statmen was idiotic. Preferential treatment isn't near as bad today as it was 10 or 20 years ago.