PDA

View Full Version : Question about Lasik Surgery

PHS Wildcats
09-10-2007, 09:29 PM
I saw this thread before a while back. I'm tired of my contacts and very serious about getting Laisk Surgery. I know that it based on individual preference, but Can anyone who had lasik surgery help me out. What are the pros and cons of this? What should I expect to pay?

sinton66
09-10-2007, 09:31 PM
ALWAYS get a second opinion. Some people are not good candidates for lasik.

leecofans
09-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Mine was about $3000 and it was the best thing I ever did! The procedure was uncomfortable, but not painful. I had a hotel room so that I could go immediately after and sleep, which was actually ideal as they want you using your eyes as little as possible. The worst part about the whole ordeal was not rubbing your eyes - I can't remember how long this was forbidden, but it seemed like forever. I had to use the gel drops to keep my eyes moist, because they get really dry during the healing period and for a couple of months afterward, even though I had the lubricating plugs put in (I think they dissolve or fall out, I can't remember). All in all it was the best thing I ever did for myself - I can't recommend it highly enough!!!

kaorder1999
09-10-2007, 09:35 PM
my wife is VERy happy she had it done

wookinpanub
09-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
ALWAYS get a second opinion. Some people are not good candidates for lasik.

Yup, a lot of opthalmologists and eye surgeons will think cha-ching before leveling completely with you. They love to say there's a 90 to 95 percent success rate becaues it sounds encouraging but you could be that 5-10 percent scapegoat that keeps them from being sued when you sign your life away beforehand.

wookinpanub
09-10-2007, 09:38 PM
If you typically have eyeglasses so thick you can see into the future, then hey, it's worth the risk. Good news is I think the prices has dropped to around $1,800 for both eyes in some places.

I've found that San Antonio has the most competitive rates for any type of procedure, maybe because wages are lower there and doctors know they have to make it more affordable. Same goes for shopping for vehicles. It's worth the drive and hotel stay if you do.

leecofans
09-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by wookinpanub
Yup, a lot of opthalmologists and eye surgeons will think cha-ching before leveling completely with you. They love to say there's a 90 to 95 percent success rate becaues it sounds encouraging but you could be that 5-10 percent scapegoat that keeps them from being sued when you sign your life away beforehand.

There are other corrective surgery options if you aren't a candidate for Lasik. My brother had RK (? maybe, or a version of it) due to the thickness of his corneas. If you go with a reputable surgeon, I would have no worries. While my vision is 20/20, 20/30 with Lasik, my brothers is actually 20/15 in both eyes with the other procedure.

wookinpanub
09-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by leecofans
There are other corrective surgery options if you aren't a candidate for Lasik. My brother had RK (? maybe, or a version of it) due to the thickness of his corneas. If you go with a reputable surgeon, I would have no worries. While my vision is 20/20, 20/30 with Lasik, my brothers is actually 20/15 in both eyes with the other procedure.

Oh, DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE be reallly careful with RK. I've never had an eye surgeon recommend it except in rare cases these days. Do Lasik or nothing.

Johnnypaycheck
09-10-2007, 09:48 PM
mine was $2800 for both eyes with a lifetime "re-enhancement" deal. i am so glad i did it. it is totally awesome. i got to where my contacts would slide around inside my eye due to bumps on the underside of my eyelid. the only solution...LASIK...

i used www.thelasikinstitute.com
dr. bruce january in houston. have to sleep with goggles for a while, use all the drops, etc. but it is well worth it. i am seeing 20/15 after not being able to see the big E before...

let me send you a referral card and i get $50 bucks and you would get 20% off using them...

leecofans
09-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Johnnypaycheck
mine was $2800 for both eyes with a lifetime "re-enhancement" deal. i am so glad i did it. it is totally awesome. i got to where my contacts would slide around inside my eye due to bumps on the underside of my eyelid. the only solution...LASIK...

i used www.thelasikinstitute.com
dr. bruce january in houston. have to sleep with goggles for a while, use all the drops, etc. but it is well worth it. i am seeing 20/15 after not being able to see the big E before...

let me send you a referral card and i get $50 bucks and you would get 20% off using them...

This is who I used - he is outstanding!!! I did the "lifetime guarantee" thing as well. He is also the surgeon who DID recommend doing RK for my brother who was not a candidate for Lasik. My brother has been glasses free for 5 years with no problems at all.

slpybear the bullfan
09-10-2007, 11:24 PM
I am thoroughly satisfied with my InterLasik surgery.

I had corrective lenses for over 20 years. My correction was 6.00+ in one eye and 6.75+ in the other. I also had a slight astigmatism. BIG thick glasses, so I always wore contacts.

I went to Dr. Gary Tylock five years ago and have never looked back. Procedure was very simple and not painful, just a little discomfort. I have had no rings, dry eye, or side effects.

I went from 20/700 to 20/15.

There are some incredible days in my life... wedding, kid's birth, college grad... and YES. They morning I woke up after Lasik surgery.

If I had it to do over again... I would BEG or BORROW the money if I had to. It was that awesome...

Just my experience.

JasperDog94
09-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
my wife is VERy happy she had it done Same here. And as earlier stated, it didn't hurt, it was just uncomfortable.

One note though. My wife said that she could smell the laser burning her eyes.:eek:

SWMustang
09-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by wookinpanub
Oh, DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE be reallly careful with RK. I've never had an eye surgeon recommend it except in rare cases these days. Do Lasik or nothing.

RK is only in case you can't have lasik and the recovery time takes a little longer. My wife had lasik over a year ago and still has to add drops in regularly. The trade off for her vs. contacts is well worth it - in her opinion.

Bull's-eye
09-11-2007, 10:36 AM
What about those at the age of possibly needing reading glasses too? My friend tried the uni-vision, where one eye is for distance and the other for up close. He chose to go back and have both eyes for distance and just wear some cheap glasses for reading. I'm been seriously thinking about doing the surgery, but I fall into the same situation as my friend.

PHS Wildcats
09-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
I am thoroughly satisfied with my InterLasik surgery.

I had corrective lenses for over 20 years. My correction was 6.00+ in one eye and 6.75+ in the other. I also had a slight astigmatism. BIG thick glasses, so I always wore contacts.

I went to Dr. Gary Tylock five years ago and have never looked back. Procedure was very simple and not painful, just a little discomfort. I have had no rings, dry eye, or side effects.

I went from 20/700 to 20/15.

There are some incredible days in my life... wedding, kid's birth, college grad... and YES. They morning I woke up after Lasik surgery.

If I had it to do over again... I would BEG or BORROW the money if I had to. It was that awesome...

Just my experience.

I've heard great thing about Dr. Tylock hear in Dallas and I also hear people say the same about Dr. Boothe. I dodn't know which one to go to. Did you get a 2nd opinion?

BTW my 1000th post!!:clap:

slpybear the bullfan
09-12-2007, 10:49 PM
No second opinion... I researched and did a lot of talking with many that had the surgery.

One visit to watch an actual surgery performed, and then one visit to get my eyes mapped and I was ready.

And also, I was asked if I would like to be the demo patient that had their eyes done while a large group of prospective paitients watched.

I said yes.

I went in on a Tuesday at 4pm, spoke to the crowd briefly about my vision, tried to demonstrate my poor vision... went back in and had the procedure... 15 mins later I walked back out and demonstrated my excellent vision. The crowd went nuts... people were actually crying.

It was an awesome experience for me. If you choose to do so then I hope yours is too.