PDA

View Full Version : If you were a coach would you do this?

Hang Ten
09-10-2007, 05:57 PM
At the end of the game (25 secs to go) with no timeouts on 3rd and long, your QB gets pummelled throwing an incomplete pass near your sideline and very slowly comes to his feet walks about 15 ft to your sideline, and you as a coach have him walk back out and sit back down on the ground, so that your team gets an injury timeout to plan a final 4th down play?

The QB was shaken up, but had made it to the sideline and was standing near the coach.

Bull19
09-10-2007, 05:59 PM
do what you got to do

piratebg
09-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Can you even do that? He already made it to the sideline.

VAMike
09-10-2007, 06:07 PM
It is unethical to feign injury for purposes of gaining a timeout. Not sure why he made the QB go back out, he could have had hiom just sit down right where he was (I assume he was still on field) and got the clock stopped. But now he loses that player for the next down so he has to weigh that in his decision making process.

piratebg
09-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Could a ref call a penalty on that? Maybe a delay of game or something?

Hang Ten
09-10-2007, 06:13 PM
The QB came out and the backup ended up throwing a very weak "duck" that was intercepted and his team lost. So, I was happy he was not rewarded for highly unethical behavior for which his community should really question, why this man is a leader of their young men.

piratebg
09-10-2007, 06:14 PM
What team was it?

Hang Ten
09-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Taylor Ducks

3afan
09-10-2007, 06:16 PM
VAMike - if the ref was sure this was a fake injury to get the timeout - was a rule broken?

ASUFrisbeeStud
09-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Doesn't a player have to come out for one play after an injury time out?

BILLYFRED0000
09-10-2007, 06:30 PM
It sounds to me like the QB could have been hurt. Just because he walked to the sideline does not mean anything. I walked to the sideline with a concussion once.

VAMike
09-10-2007, 06:54 PM
If the officials are sure the injury was feigned then they can penalize as unsportsmanlike conduct and the penalty is whatever they deem appropriate.

tigerpride_08
09-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
do what you got to do

sounds like the right decision...:D

3afan
09-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by VAMike
.... and the penalty is whatever they deem appropriate.

if its USC thats always 15, isnt it?

KTA
09-10-2007, 07:16 PM
throwing an incomplete pass

The time was stopped anyways, whats the big deal?

VAMike
09-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
if its USC thats always 15, isnt it?

No THe "unfair acts" rule lets referee assess any penalty he wants up to and including forfeiting the game

burnet44
09-10-2007, 07:39 PM
He better be in lane 5 on the track
You cant get on the field

or

think about it

sideline warning and penalty after 3

3afan
09-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by VAMike
No THe "unfair acts" rule lets referee assess any penalty he wants up to and including forfeiting the game

wow - didnt know that

thx VAMike

whtfbplaya
09-11-2007, 10:28 AM
The better story is if he got sacked and the clock was still running.

Phil C
09-11-2007, 10:39 AM
That type of thing can work against you. Maybe you get a little extra time to talk to the QB about the next play but you also give the defense rest time.

crzyjournalist03
09-11-2007, 10:44 AM
If the timeout was called though, shouldn't that QB have had to miss a play? How was he back out there to throw a "duck" on fourth down?

That doesn't seem right...

3afan
09-11-2007, 10:50 AM
they said "The QB came out and the backup ended up throwing a very weak "duck""

TexDoc
09-11-2007, 11:52 AM
The problem is how do you prove that an injury was feigned? I would have no choice but to call an injury time out and give the team a few seconds to get in a replacement.

This falls under unethical more than illegal. In my years of officiating, I've never seen this called, nor have I heard of it being called.

HippoBaseball05
09-11-2007, 12:03 PM
piratebg
All-American

Member #: 5370

What team was it?

Hang Ten
Rookie

Member #: 7301

Taylor Ducks

Boy, I'd be the wrong person to ask about the ethics of anything Taylor sports related......

:evilgrin:

Hang Ten
09-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by TexDoc
The problem is how do you prove that an injury was feigned? I would have no choice but to call an injury time out and give the team a few seconds to get in a replacement.

This falls under unethical more than illegal. In my years of officiating, I've never seen this called, nor have I heard of it being called.

It happened clear as day, the QB was scrambling to avoid the sack, well back of the line of scrimmage. I assume the referee was getting the play set back up, since the kid walked off.

whtfbplaya
09-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Hang Ten
It happened clear as day, the QB was scrambling to avoid the sack, well back of the line of scrimmage. I assume the referee was getting the play set back up, since the kid walked off.

The only way I would call this is if I heard the coach or player say they were doing that, and then I would toss them both 15 yards and report to uil.

DDBooger
09-11-2007, 11:41 PM
bellicheck would do it:rolleyes: :D

centexgobbler
09-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Sounds to me like a silly complaint. #1. Coach Cobia is a good coach and a better man. #2. The clock was stopped because of the incomplete pass. If you are having to throw a hail Mary to win, does a five-yard penalty for delay of game make that much difference? #3. Knowing that you had to throw a Hail Mary, would you intentionally get your starting qb out of the game? Think before you post garbage.

3afan
09-12-2007, 08:12 AM
thats a great point we all missed - the clock would have been stopped anyways! :doh:

VAMike
09-12-2007, 08:49 AM
The possible motivation for doing this goes way beyond stopping the clock. You may have 1 last chance to dial up a play that will work. You would likely want your staff to have more than 25 seconds to get the play dialed up, signalled in, get the correct personnel in, and run it.

While I have said this is a foul that would have to be VERY obvious to be called, the fact that the clock was stopped already would not be a good argument saying the injury was not feigned.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by centexgobbler
Sounds to me like a silly complaint. #1. Coach Cobia is a good coach and a better man.

I can agree with that, he always seemed like a class act when he coached at Caldwell and at Taylor. I played against him on both occasions.

PlayaJBiehl20
09-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Bull19
do what you got to do

i disagree, because in saying that your saying do what you have to do to win, so the Patriots did it and look. Barry Bonds did it and look. Rick Anciel did it and look they're all cheaters.

Hang Ten
09-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by centexgobbler
Sounds to me like a silly complaint. #1. Coach Cobia is a good coach and a better man. #2. The clock was stopped because of the incomplete pass. If you are having to throw a hail Mary to win, does a five-yard penalty for delay of game make that much difference? #3. Knowing that you had to throw a Hail Mary, would you intentionally get your starting qb out of the game? Think before you post garbage.

It happened! Ask the coach, why in the heat of battle he was weak and went down the unethical path...

Diocletian
09-12-2007, 11:11 PM
This is cheating, you can't prove it 100% which makes it legal. But the coach should be fired the kid should be counciled and the team should forfeit the game.

The only way I could possibly think it should slide is if the coaches words where caught on tape and he was incouraging the kid to go back out there and play the last play before the game ended since the time was winding down, and kid just could not physicaly make it happen and it was his decision to fall down to protect his team from not being able to complete the last few secs of the game.

So if it was the kids decision i'd let it slide, but if it was the coaches decision then they should be punished. Either way there should be a rule that any offensive player injured on a team losing within the last 5 minutes of the game, with no timeouts, should cause an auto 10-30 secs to wind down on the clock. If there was a rule and they were exploiting it then it might slide but in a case like this where the rules are not well known about the situation, then the ref must make a stand and they should investigate whether or not to force them to forfeit.

Ingleside Fan
09-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Where is this coaches moral compass. Teaching more than football is the coaches job. Taking care of your team should be your top priority! A game is not worth injuring or even loosing a team member.

If you are in the last two minutes of the game, you should have two minute drill in effect. This should not be a question to plan the last play.