PDA

View Full Version : Hempstead forfeits to Giddings

buff4life
09-10-2007, 03:13 PM
just got a report from the school that Hempstead forfeited this week against Giddings after a 42-0? loss to Navasota the week before claiming to not have enough players...not sure why...

looks like Giddings will have open weeks this year...

KTA
09-10-2007, 03:22 PM
thats rediculas....I guess a 2-0 loss is better than 40 point plus loss:rolleyes:

Phil C
09-10-2007, 03:59 PM
That is strange. It is too bad.

gtownfan
09-10-2007, 04:02 PM
I've heard this also.

In addition to the lopsided loss last week and injuries related to that, grades are coming out this week. Wonder if this might be part of the issue also?

buff4life
09-10-2007, 04:09 PM
that could be true...but i don't think grades come out until next monday...this is only the third week this week...so grades shouldn't be a factor yet ALSO, you cannot become ineligible until the six weeks anyway, the three weeks can only help you not hurt you...

ronwx5x
09-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
just got a report from the school that Hempstead forfeited this week against Giddings after a 42-0? loss to Navasota the week before claiming to not have enough players...not sure why...

looks like Giddings will have open weeks this year...

I looked it up on the Hempstead ISD Calendar and they confirm it. No reason given. Here is the link.

http://email3.hempstead.isd.esc4.net:8080/athletics/

Cameron Crazy
09-10-2007, 04:35 PM
This one would have been Giddings first loss. :D

buff4life
09-10-2007, 04:43 PM
it might have been a tough game lol NOT...

last year i was excited to see it because i wanted to see Terrance Tolliver play but he had staff and had to sit out....he's already playing for LSU

Cameron Crazy
09-10-2007, 04:45 PM
I was joking!

buff4life
09-10-2007, 04:50 PM
i know...i was playing along with the sarcasm

VWG
09-10-2007, 06:11 PM
That is pretty bad for a school of Hempstead's size to not be able to field a team. Maybe a small 1A school, but not anybody with a 2A enrollment.

wookinpanub
09-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by VWG
That is pretty bad for a school of Hempstead's size to not be able to field a team. Maybe a small 1A school, but not anybody with a 2A enrollment.

Four of Hempstead's six varsity cheerleaders were knocked up about 10 years ago and it made the Montel show. I remember seeing Hearne's cheerleaders smoking on the sidelines.

Bull19
09-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by wookinpanub
Four of Hempstead's six varsity cheerleaders were knocked up about 10 years ago and it made the Montel show. I remember seeing Hearne's cheerleaders smoking on the sidelines.

nice...proly all by the same guy

luvhoops34
09-10-2007, 07:00 PM
DNA

bobcat04
09-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Sounds really odd. They only cancelled the game against Giddings. Feel bad for those folks, it had seem like they had turn the corner with their current coach...

marlin fan
09-10-2007, 08:38 PM
omg they werent thinkin about the band lol!!! oh well

burnet44
09-10-2007, 08:45 PM
they didnt win with Harvey Williams there
he was a horse and went to LSU
they won but with him they should have won it all
shows what no discipline gets ya

there is DNA there good DNA
but no heart
you cant change your DNA
but you can change your heart

rockdale80
09-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by burnet44

but no heart
you cant change your DNA

and yet more incessant rambling. Congrats on another post of less than average intelligence.

BILLYFRED0000
09-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
and yet more incessant rambling. Congrats on another post of less than average intelligence.

Now now rockdale, anybody that can read can follow what he said. I did.....:D

luvhoops34
09-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Now now rockdale, anybody that can read can follow what he said. I did.....:D

Apparently he has a reading comprehension problem...:D

rockdale80
09-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
3). Do not engage in personal attacks and/or threats.
Avoid name calling and the use of derogatory terms toward others. That attaches a personal flavor that most posters will find objectionable. Try reversing the roles and see how you would feel if someone said it to you. Personal attacks or threats, if reported, in PM's, open chat, or chat IM's may warrant warning, suspension or banning, subject to Administrator discretion. Avoid using people's real names in your posts. At 3A Downlow, we also tend to frown upon posts that attack the integrity of school systems and coaches. We are not here to air personal vendettas. Use intelligence and wit. This is not a smack site. If all you have to offer is the tired old rah rah stuff, the vets on this site will tire of you quickly. Be prepared to offer facts and statistics to back up your claims.

I did offer facts to back up my claim. So there....;)

rockdale80
09-10-2007, 08:58 PM

but no heart
you cant change your DNA

Followed until this part. THERE IS DNA THERE IS GOOD DNA? :confused: :confused:

buff4life
09-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Followed until this part. THERE IS DNA THERE IS GOOD DNA? :confused: :confused:

there should have been a comma after the second there...it makes sense then...

there is dna there, good dna

burnet44
09-10-2007, 09:00 PM

there is DNA there, good DNA
but no heart
you cant change your DNA

better?
"WAM" Buggs Bunny

rockdale80
09-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
there should have been a comma after the second there...it makes sense then...

there is dna there, good dna

eh...not really.

wookinpanub
09-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Is Navasota really that potent, or did they just humiliate Hempstead because the Bobcats had poor depth (as evidenced in having to forfeit to Giddings)?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-10-2007, 09:31 PM
If so, find a team that has a off week, that might have been rained out the 0 or 1 week. Or find another game that one team has forfited even if you have to go to another state. That sounds easy right? Or maybe find a College that needs a game.

lets help find a game for Giddings.:D

PHS Wildcats
09-10-2007, 09:33 PM
I've seen this happen before. A few yrs back, a 1-A school (Buffalo) started the season with 18 players and most of them got hurt in the 1st game of the season and only had around 9 or 10 players and forfieted the rest of the season.

wookinpanub
09-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
I've seen this happen before. A few yrs back, a 1-A school (Buffalo) started the season with 18 players and most of them got hurt in the 1st game of the season and only had around 9 or 10 players and forfieted the rest of the season.

What's worse, Buffalo has always been 2A!

burnet44
09-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats

my guess
many quit
after Sota killed em
now they have to play Giddings
Im betting they quit
but will be back for weaker teams

fire away

wookinpanub
09-10-2007, 09:43 PM
my guess
many quit
after Sota killed em
now they have to play Giddings
Im betting they quit
but will be back for weaker teams

fire away

If they chickened out vs. Giddings, that makes the program look pretty lame. There's bound to be a depth problem and they are having to wait for some healing to take place before district begins.

Bull19
09-10-2007, 09:52 PM
I HEAR FAITH ACADEMY IN BELLVILLE IS LOOKING FOR A GAME FRIDAY NIGHT

zebrablue2
09-10-2007, 10:01 PM
If they chickened out vs. Giddings, that makes the program look pretty lame. There's bound to be a depth problem and they are having to wait for some healing to take place before district begins.

8 kids were hurt friday night, and some have quit. the coach over in Hempstead has done a great job with this program. its not a matter of the chicken out thing. numbers are just not there, and he must have able bodies for district.

1 and ONLY
09-10-2007, 10:07 PM
cant they pull some JV kids up to varsity

LH Panther Mom
09-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by 1 and ONLY
cant they pull some JV kids up to varsity
For what point? They've already got 8 kids hurt. Why put the rest of the team and JV kids at risk for a pre-district game if they're short on kids, already?

Hope the injured kids heal soon. :)

burnet44
09-10-2007, 10:13 PM
The ones who aint playing are killing em
thats the real truth here

venomous tat2
09-10-2007, 10:17 PM
I just talked to a Brazos Valley official on the phone , he lives in Navasota. He called me to see if I had heard about the forfeit. He said in their meeting the reason given was injured players (6)
they only suited out 19 and 8 of them were 2 way starters, they don't have a 9th grade team cause the numbers are low and they only suited out 17 on JV. I think I would have forfeited the JV game and play Fri nite (moving players up ) JMO. This is a down year for Hempstead. When they played us they played hard for 4 qtrs. :thinking:

burnet44
09-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by venomous tat2

they only suited out 19 and 8 of them were 2 way starters, they don't have a 9th grade team cause the numbers are low and they only suited out 17 on JV. :thinking:

so they have 36 total?
8 hurt?

as I said the ones not playing are killing em
I salute those who are
at least they are not cowards
(I know this last sentance will get me blasted)
but to the kids who are sticking it out during a tough time
salute

venomous tat2
09-10-2007, 10:42 PM
I never noticed many players injured if any , but thats what they are saying i'm in the press box on Friday nites and don't recall the game being delayed for injuries but like I said forfeit the JV game and play on Fri nite. Whats worse not playing or playing with younger players and the answer is ...............(not playing is worse) than playing with yonger players. JMO

HEMOTOXIC
09-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Uhhhmmmm forfeit or play the (#1) Giddings Buffs after being pounded 43-0 by the Rattlers? Hempstead played hard in the game against Navasota in a playoff atmosphere. Maybe they put so much effort into the game against Navasota that they just got too overwhelmed. I wish our neighbors to the south (Bobcats) a speady recovery.

zebrablue2
09-10-2007, 11:03 PM
so they have 36 total?
8 hurt?

I salute those who are
(I know this last sentance will get me blasted)
but to the kids who are sticking it out during a tough time
salute

agreed, and coach S. in hempstead runs a clean ship. prop's to he and his staff. they are doing what is best for the program. district play is the bottom line in this case.

Darren
09-11-2007, 09:46 AM
I guess this will teach Giddings not to schedule 2a teams.

Unless its Lexington. That would be a rivalry game (although Giddings wouldn't have anything to gain).

PHS Wildcats
09-11-2007, 05:22 PM
What's worse, Buffalo has always been 2A!

1A-2A my bad, I knew it was up the road from Palestine, don't follow them, just read it the Hearld-Press a few yrs back. Please forgive me for not knowing there class.

BrahmaMom
09-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Props to the staff for not pulling up jv players who aren't ready to play the next level of competition. As a Mom, it looks like a set-up for more injuries. Hang in there Hempstead! Get better soon to those players who must feel the pressure of playing injured for their team. The players and their health and safety MUST come first.

3afan
09-12-2007, 07:58 AM
I salute those who are

i hope you're not saying that the kids that do not play football are cowards :( ...... certainly thats not what you mean, or how you really feel

buff4ever
09-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Giddings is first team to 3 and 0. That must be good for something right?

worldbfree
09-12-2007, 09:47 AM
I worked with Coach Sargeant in Jasper. I can assure you if he is cancelling a game it is for legitimate reasons. He is doing what he thinks is best for the program and best for their district preparation.

Darren
09-12-2007, 11:02 AM
I wish Hempstead the best as well....

Since Giddings won't be playing this Friday.

What other good games might I see in the Centex area?

scott Wilson
09-12-2007, 11:15 AM
That`s not setting a good example for the kids. I`m sure it wasn`t a district game was it? If not, then schedule someone you can compete against early until district starts. Unfair to the kids that are out there practicing. If it`s truly not enough kids, then I retract my statements. If it`s fear, well..............

Darren
09-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by scott Wilson
That`s not setting a good example for the kids. I`m sure it wasn`t a district game was it? If not, then schedule someone you can compete against early until district starts. Unfair to the kids that are out there practicing. If it`s truly not enough kids, then I retract my statements. If it`s fear, well..............

No it's not a district game.

Hempstead is 2a Giddings is 3a and ranked highly in state.

IMO if they were scheduled to play another 2a team they would have played but having just lost big (45-0???) to another 3a team (Navasota) they didn't want to go through it again.

buff4life
09-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Darren
No it's not a district game.

Hempstead is 2a Giddings is 3a and ranked highly in state.

IMO if they were scheduled to play another 2a team they would have played but having just lost big (45-0???) to another 3a team (Navasota) they didn't want to go through it again.

i'll give them the credit for not having enough kids...BUT i'm not downing them at all, but if they were playing a weak 2A or even a 1A school this week, they would probably bring the JV kids up and let them play...but then again maybe not...

scott Wilson
09-12-2007, 02:50 PM
If the kids are hurt, then no sense in risking young,untested players against a power like Giddings. NOT bringing in JV`ers to get their confidence (and themselves) killed is probably the best move.Too bad more kids didn`t play ball for the sake of the kids that really want to play and have been practicing all week long. It`s too bad for Giddings that they didn`t schedule different. Two weeks off can throw a teams rythm out of kilter. And what`s with an open date so early these days? I saw a few teams that had open dates after week zero. Not good , if your going to make a long playoff run. Injuries sometimes need time to heal and district play usually gets serious. Just an opinion.

snakebite
09-12-2007, 07:15 PM
wow i was at the navasota game on friday night and i too didn't think hempstead had that many injuries. I remember the clock being stopped twice for injuries, and one time was for navasota, but i don't remember every detail. hempstead put up what i thought was a good fight, they did have some good runs, but i think the rattlers wanted that first win on that new field very bad! good luck to both teams on the rest of their season!