PDA

View Full Version : Big College Football games this weekend--Week 3

big daddy russ
09-10-2007, 03:35 AM
BIG GAMES
Iowa @ Iowa State (Sat, 12:30 pm)... I always wondered why one of my favorite assistants, former Auburn DC Gene Chizik, decided on Ames as his first head coaching stop after calls came in from Tuscaloosa and Miami. Chizik inherited a team that hasn't had a legimate star since 2002, plays in a very competitive, on-the-upswing BCS Conference, and doesn't have another Troy Davis coming through anytime soon. And he's been punished the first two weeks, first by Kent State and then, this week, by D-IAA Northern Iowa in an upset that was largely overlooked. Meanwhile, the Hawkeye defense has held its two opponents to a combined three points (16-3 over N. Illinois and 35-0 over Syracuse) en route to the nation's seventh-ranked total defense. Not saying that this weekend looks like an upset in the making at all, just saying that it's a big game. With all the emotion from the rivalry the fact that it's being played in Ames, maybe Chizik can right this ship.

#22 Tennessee @ #5 Florida (Sat, 3:30 pm CBS)... One of those games that doesn't need an introduction.

#10 Ohio State @ Washington (Sat, 3:30 pm ESPN)... Not saying that Washington is or isn't ready to step up and become a player on the national scene, but they just doubled up the 22nd-ranked team in the nation and have won their two games by an average of 22 points. You could also file this one under "possible upset."

Notre Dame @ Michigan (Sat, 3:30 pm ABC)... Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Let's just call this game the Toilet Bowl. Will Chad Henne cold-cock one of the defensive linemen? Will Tom Zbikowski box the Michigan mascot?

#16 Arkie @ Bama (Sat, 6:45 pm ESPN)... Nick Saban vs. Darren McFadden in Prime Time. Has Saban turned this program around like everyone seems to think?

#1 USC @ #14 Nebraska (Sat, 8pm ABC)... Again, no intro necessary.

#21 Boston College @ #15 Georgia Tech (Sat, 8pm ESPN2)... Outside of the top three (LSU, USC, OU) and Penn State, has there been a more impressive team than GT thus far? On the flip-side, Boston College has looked good against two tough opponents. Huge ACC showdown between two extremely underrated teams.

UPSET WATCH
Oklahoma State @ Troy (Fri, 7pm)... Okie State's coming of age and is starting to look like a solid Big XII bowl team. But their defense is suspect and Troy's Omar Haugabook is the best QB you've never heard of.

Ohio @ #18 Virginia Tech (Sat, 12:30 pm)... Ex-Nebraska front man Frank Solich brings his Bobcats to play a reeling Virginia Tech squad. The Hokies have looked horrible against the run and that's what Ohio does best. Look for a lot of Kalvin McRae and the two-headed duo at QB to grind it out and slow down the game.

#9 Louisville @ Kentucky (Sat, 7:30 pm ESPN Classic)... Louisville's offense has been outstanding, but Middle Tennessee State-- MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE!!!--just hung 550 offensive yards and 42 points on that defense. And KU QB Andre Woodson's in a completely different league than MTSU signal caller Joe Craddock.

LONGSHOTS FOR THE UPSET, BUT CHECK THE SCORES AT HALFTIME
Louisiana Tech @ #8 Cal (Sat, 6:30 pm)... LaTech just came within a missed two-point conversion of upsetting #20 Hawaii. Cal may be playing a different level than the Rainbow Warriors, but the Bulldogs have had a week to stew over the missed opportunity. Can Patrick Johnson and company keep LaTech in the game?

#11 UCLA @ Utah (Sat, 6:30 pm)... UCLA was on my upset watch last week because of a matchup problem with BYU. Utah's a better team than the Cougars, but the matchup isn't quite as lopsided with the Utes.

Fresno State @ #19 Oregon (Sat, 7pm)... Fresno State's not your average mid-major, but Oregon's not your average PAC-10 team.

3afan
09-10-2007, 07:09 AM
for some reason none of those really excite me ....

I think Fla kills Tenn, and SC kills Neb - but hopefully i'm wrong and they are watchable games

Old Tiger
09-10-2007, 07:12 AM
I'll take...

Florida
Ohio State
Nobody cares about Michigan/Notre Dame
Bama
USC
BC
Okie State
Ohio
Louisville
Cal
UCLA
Oregon

big daddy russ
09-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
for some reason none of those really excite me ....

I think Fla kills Tenn, and SC kills Neb - but hopefully i'm wrong and they are watchable games
I'm pretty excited about BC/GT. So far, those two teams have been the two powerhouses of the ACC. Curious to see what GT's really made of.

I'm also kinda looking forward to tOSU/Wash, Tenn/UF, and ND/Mich, but I agree with you about the Nebraska/USC game.

Sweetwater Red
09-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I'll take...

Florida
Ohio State
Nobody cares about Michigan/Notre Dame
Bama
USC
BC
Okie State
Ohio
Louisville
Cal
UCLA
Oregon

HEY! Michigan and ND are the best 0-2 college teams in the
nation.:mad:

Alright maybe ND.:(

Okay you're right nobody cares outside of Ann Arbor or South Bend.:D

Adidas410s
09-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I'm pretty excited about BC/GT. So far, those two teams have been the two powerhouses of the ACC. Curious to see what GT's really made of.

I'm going to this one. My ticket is in the mail and should be here tomorrow!!!! :):):)